Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I didn't take that "rehabilitation" to mean that she's trying to get "over" him ... only that she understands what it's like to have personal issues (like Red's wolf issue) ... though hers was the fact that she was locked up for 28 years, and her father tried to make her forget who she was ... some hard core personal issues for Belle. It didn't occur to me that she might have referred to trying to help Rumpel with his own issues too. It seemed more like she was trying to encourage her good friend by reminding Red that she has her own share of identity crisis issues. It was basically a Ruby/Belle friendship thing, so I'm not taking it as a downside for Rumbelle. Belle has other things to "get over" in her life that have nothing to do with Gold.
I agree, that's why I don't get why so many people hated the line. I think they really took it way too seriously as if Belle was thinking of practicing psychiatry, lol.

I definitely think she was referring to Gold with that comment - why else would she say she was an expert at rehabbing? I definitely did not mean to suggest she was trying to get over him, just that I like little references like these.

Quote:
I think they're far from over ... Adam knows how popular they are. I think he's just biding his time for a big pay off, but all these other stories also need to be told first. I think we'll get some great moments, but the wait is gonna be tough. I'm sure it'll be worth it though.
My comment was not suggesting that they were over, lol - I know they're not. I should have made myself clearer. I loved the rehab comment because it WAS a cute reference to Gold. My problem with them has really to do with the writing of the relationship, not that we've gotten so little of them. Their story will likely take off in the 2nd half with Hook and then later with Bae.

Quote:
“Belle has an incredibly heart, and an incredibly mind, and her gift is perception. Her gift is to be able to look at others and to see their true selves beneath whatever their exterior is. And I think that despite everything she went through with the curse and being locked up by Regina, that hasn’t gone away.”
— Adam Horowitz
Aww, that quote from Adam is so beautiful. Belle is emotionally intelligent and she's compassionate - that gift she has of being able to see the best in people when they see the worst is pretty special. Too many people are willing to see the bad in people, but Belle sees the good. The fact that she hasn't lost that quality is remarkable after all she's been through. He and Eddy love her, so I would hope this bodes well for her future on the show. It also did my Gold loving heart some good as well because he's implying that Gold's real self is that good man he was - not the cursed DO. I admit I had my doubts about what he and Eddy thought about him/Rumple.

Last edited by Betsybelle; 11-13-2012 at 08:02 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes&FredFan (View Post)
I think they're far from over ... Adam knows how popular they are. I think he's just biding his time for a big pay off, but all these other stories also need to be told first. I think we'll get some great moments, but the wait is gonna be tough. I'm sure it'll be worth it though.

Though I did NOT like the idea of Belle being chained up in the same place that Rumpel gave her as a gift. That was a little awkward.
... damn it now my minds in the gutter again...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Master Fan

Poor Belle - kidnapped twice, chained .......She must have been chained up for a long time.

Quote:
Estelle McGecky: And Mr. Gold helps Henry without a price to pay, it's really quite a touching moment, Robert Carlyle just plays that to a T the whole scene.

Eddy Kitsis: Yes, Bobby is fantastic, you know, in that moment I think he's stared down at a boy who's about the same age Baelfire was when he let him go, and he sees a child hurting. And I think that as duplicitous as he can be, and as evil as he can be, we've also seen how much kindness and capacity for love he has, when given the right circumstances.
lostwithme

I guess this must be from the podcast. So much for those who were suspicious of his motives. I thought that was SUCH a wonderful scene, so very, very moving. All he wanted to do was ease a child's fear and he gave Henry a wonderful gift - the gift of knowing that you can take control and not be afraid.

I'm glad Eddy said the bold because it's true - he has an enormous capacity to love and I adore this about him. When he loves, it's with his whole heart and soul; there's nothing he wouldn't do for that person. His love for Bae has driven him for so long and now here's someone else who motivates him - Belle. His love for her is writ all over his face and in his voice. It really surrounds him, transforms him.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:23 PM
Supreme Fan

Source
All you'll have is an empty heart and a chipped cup
She's gone forever. She's never coming back. And it's your fault
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Extreme Fan

^LOVE those gifs!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsybelle (View Post)
Poor Belle - kidnapped twice, chained .......She must have been chained up for a long time.

lostwithme

I guess this must be from the podcast. So much for those who were suspicious of his motives. I thought that was SUCH a wonderful scene, so very, very moving. All he wanted to do was ease a child's fear and he gave Henry a wonderful gift - the gift of knowing that you can take control and not be afraid.

I'm glad Eddy said the bold because it's true - he has an enormous capacity to love and I adore this about him. When he loves, it's with his whole heart and soul; there's nothing he wouldn't do for that person. His love for Bae has driven him for so long and now here's someone else who motivates him - Belle. His love for her is writ all over his face and in his voice. It really surrounds him, transforms him.
Very happy they are standing up for Rum a bit here finally!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunas_borednow (View Post)
I know right? They're always so quick to make Regina out to be the victim, so it's nice to see them defend Rumpel/Gold a little bit there.
All you'll have is an empty heart and a chipped cup
She's gone forever. She's never coming back. And it's your fault
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Gorgeous gif set!

YAY for Eddie!
"Love makes us sick. Haunts our dreams. Destroys our days"
Old 11-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Yellow, I'm not THAT down yet. Adam and Eddy LOVE Emilie and they gush about what she's brought to Belle all the time. They know that her chemistry with Bobby is through the roof - they mentioned it in the finale commentary. I think the problem isn't that they don't like Rumbelle, but that they have way too much going on..........I admire their boldness and their decision not to just sit back and do nothing, but I think it's backfired on them. I think they intended for Rumbelle's story to pick up steam towards around 9, 10, 11 and then for the rest of the season, given Hook's arrival and then later Bae. So I think they figured they give us some Rumbelle to placate us......knowing what was coming later. The problem is, the Rumbelle we've gotten has had some beautiful scenes (all of Broken, most of Croc), but the gaps have just killed them.

Most Rumbellers are either mad at Belle or Gold or both.......it's sad.

That said, I do think the fact that we've had almost NO Rumbelle at all has sort of ratcheted everything to a fever pitch. I really think fans are desperate to see them together, even in a small scene. I think fans are starting to get scared that their beautiful love story is going in the dumps and they need some encouragement.
I don't know if I need to be mad at my phone or FF coz I had my comments typed hit post and got kicked off the site.
Now I can't really remember what I wrote...lol. Anywho, the main point is that yes, I worry about the state of the ship even though I know A/E have good intentions. I don't want to see something with great potienal be treated like a typical tv ship with all the typical cliches that go with them. I'm hoping to see some actually Rumbelle scenes between them ( positive please not angst) before winter break. Coz I hate being down on this and I really want to be laughing at how silly I was prior to the winter break.
And no I'm not mad at Gold or Belle... Just getting tired of waiting and waiting,ect...lol
Quote:
I only wish that we had a wistful moment where either Belle or Rumpel mentioned the other by name.
Yeah me too. That would have probably stopped my downward spiral. Oh, well. I need to stop complaining now....lol
Great gifs

Last edited by yellowrose_bb_12; 11-13-2012 at 09:25 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 09:46 PM
Supreme Fan

Love the gallant bow ... The true gentleman. He was being genuine, and not facetious or sarcastic.
ODO & KIRA (DS9)

Old 11-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Passionate Fan

I was thinking about the conversatiosn Belle and Rumple had in SD and, then, I was working on something else and got to thinking about anthropology class (I needed to clear an elective) and trying to understand a culture from the inside . . . .

Anyhow, all that, and I got to thinking what it means that Belle tells Rumple about her desire to be the hero and to see the world.

She's telling him about two things that are kind of outside the norm for her culture and expects him to understand.

It's hard to see how momentous that is until you see Maurice in The Crocodile. Maurice had had Belle there during his war councils. He probably had a hand in seeing her educated (although I suspect Belle also read through the castle library on her own). She's also his only child and heir. Even if Maurice fully expected Belle's husband would run things, I'm guessing Belle had at least some training on how to do the job.

And Maurice wouldn't get it. At best, he would have given her the kind of sympathy you give someone who has an impossible dream - up there with the kid who's old enough to know you can't jump off the barn with homemade wings and fly but who admits he still wishes he could (hmm, noticing use of masculine pronoun; OK, I admit I'm thinking of some boys I know. Survival instincts of lemmings).

Rumple may be the first person Belle's ever confided this in - very likely the first man. And she pretty much knows he'll understand.

New take on Belle's brief argument with Maurice before being dragged off by Smee: Belle was intelligent and capabel of independent action before meeting Rumple, but I'm now thinking Rumple actually gave her an opportunity for that part of her to develop.

Maybe, back home, she always had to sublimate her strengths. She had her opinions and she stuck by them, but she'd learned how to present them carefully, how to argue in roundabout ways that didn't get the ideas shot down because a woman was presenting them.

Maybe good skills, in a way, a talent for diplomacy over confrontation. Not bad things for a lord's daughter to be good at, even if she would like to be able to bluntly say, "That's an awful idea that will get everyone killed by Ogres."

But, with Rumple, maybe she was able to present her ideas directly and find them respected. If Rumple referenced something in a debate Belle knew nothing about, instead of playing the see-I-know-what-I'm-talking-about-and-you-don't card, I see him handing her a stack of books on whatever it is she didn't know and holding off on the discussion till she's ready to come back and cut him down to size.

So, the old Belle would have been a reasonably meek daughter. Even if she didn't say anything that she would have felt bound her to stay away from Rumple, she just wouldn't have let Maurice notice she wasn't saying that.

This Belle states her opinion. Bluntly. Or too bluntly for Maurice.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunas_borednow (View Post)
Finally! And in the Croc podcast, Adam said the library scene was his first truly unselfish act. I had posted a blog post on it which summarized it beautifully; I wish I could find it again as there was quite a bit of detail.

It's interesting that Eddy qualified that comment about his capacity for love and kindness with "in the right circumstances", lol, but no complaints; I'm just so glad he said SOMETHING nice, lol.

Quote:
Anywho, the main point is that yes, I worry about the state of the ship even though I know A/E have good intentions. I don't want to see something with great potienal be treated like a typical tv ship with all the typical cliches that go with them. I'm hoping to see some actually Rumbelle scenes between them ( positive please not angst) before winter break. Coz I hate being down on this and I really want to be laughing at how silly I was prior to the winter break.
And no I'm not mad at Gold or Belle... Just getting tired of waiting and waiting,ect...lol
No, I understand what you mean. I'm a bit down a bit on Belle this year and how they are writing her.......I wish I could have more confidence in her love for Gold and not have doubts that she's trying to change him because she can't accept him for who he is. I really hope that more consistent airtime will lead to more consistent writing........

I think that maybe the writers are struggling with finding a balance for Belle, that of being a strong woman who can also be loving and vulnerable and soft. Perhaps A/E worried that if they didn't make Belle VERY strong, it would make her look submissive and too easily accepting of things. The problem is, she's coming off in some ways as immature. She escaped out the window.....minutes after telling Gold that he neeed courage to let her in. So she left.......instead of discussing it with Gold and explaining WHY he had to trust her (so they could truly be intimate partners), she left him to worry about her. I love Belle, but I admit to being somewhat disappointed in her.

I definitely agree with you. Skin Deep set the bar so high and I'd hate to see Rumbelle turn into a cliched and hackneyed relationship. Bobby and Emilie's chemistry, then, might be the only thing that saves it. I think we're ALL dyingi for some (even small) Rumbelle scenes.........without them, I think the fan base will start getting really angry.

Quote:
New take on Belle's brief argument with Maurice before being dragged off by Smee: Belle was intelligent and capabel of independent action before meeting Rumple, but I'm now thinking Rumple actually gave her an opportunity for that part of her to develop.

Maybe, back home, she always had to sublimate her strengths. She had her opinions and she stuck by them, but she'd learned how to present them carefully, how to argue in roundabout ways that didn't get the ideas shot down because a woman was presenting them.

Maybe good skills, in a way, a talent for diplomacy over confrontation. Not bad things for a lord's daughter to be good at, even if she would like to be able to bluntly say, "That's an awful idea that will get everyone killed by Ogres."

But, with Rumple, maybe she was able to present her ideas directly and find them respected. If Rumple referenced something in a debate Belle knew nothing about, instead of playing the see-I-know-what-I'm-talking-about-and-you-don't card, I see him handing her a stack of books on whatever it is she didn't know and holding off on the discussion till she's ready to come back and cut him down to size.
Very interesting and I can see all of this, but I can also see Belle speaking up in the war room.......precisely because she was educated as a boy would have been. On the other hand, why was Belle holding a romance novel in her arms in the war room? My guess is that she was there because they were expecting Rumple; she may have been reading when she was called to join everyone. So, if that's the case, then Belle likely had less influence than we may have thought. Maurice had betrothed her to a man she didn't care for, for whatever reasons, so we can assume that however much he loved her, her happiness was NOT his primary goal. This makes the transition to the Croc Maurice more reasonable and would explain in part his need to control Belle.

Last edited by Betsybelle; 11-13-2012 at 11:31 PM
Old 11-13-2012, 11:32 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsybelle (View Post)
Very interesting and I can see all of this, but I can also see Belle speaking up in the war room.......precisely because she was educated as a boy would have been. On the other hand, why was Belle holding a romance novel in her arms in the war room? My guess is that she was there because they were expecting Rumple; she may have been reading when she was called to join everyone. So, if that's the case, then Belle likely had less influence than we may have thought. Maurice had betrothed her to a man she didn't care for, for whatever reasons, so we can assume that however much he loved her, her happiness was NOT his primary goal. This makes the transition to the Croc Maurice more reasonable and would explain in part his need to control Belle.
Yes, on the one hand, maybe Maurice helped Belle cultivate her gifts more than the average medieval father - but, if so, he still had strict limits on his expectations.

Or, maybe, as you said, he had a very traditional, medieval view about his daughter (er, rephrasing and hoping you don't feel that misrepresents what you said).
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelaine (View Post)
Yes, on the one hand, maybe Maurice helped Belle cultivate her gifts more than the average medieval father - but, if so, he still had strict limits on his expectations. Or, maybe, as you said, he had a very traditional, medieval view about his daughter (er, rephrasing and hoping you don't feel that misrepresents what you said).
No, that's pretty much how I feel. I think he was probably slightly more enlightened than the traditional medieval father, but not much more. He told Gold in the shop that it was HIS deal. No, it was Belle who made the deal, Maurice ......you tried to stop it, lol.