Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2016, 11:47 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessismore (View Post)

I loved this review because I also think when Jess is single she is more relatable to many more women. Watching her journey through bad dates and finding love and losing it over and over I think defines many women's love life in contemporary world. Flip and Nancy do not happen so often anymore. What do you guys think?
IDK, I think people still find their one. Both of my brothers did. I was 20 or so years ago but I don't see why it would be different. I don't think the times we live in have much to do with it. My dad looked for years before he found my mom and he really wanted to get married and have a family. He was 35 when they got married. My brothers both got married at 19. That said, looking for love is a timeless issue that many can relate to.
KatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 04:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatB (View Post)
IDK, I think people still find their one. Both of my brothers did. I was 20 or so years ago but I don't see why it would be different. I don't think the times we live in have much to do with it. My dad looked for years before he found my mom and he really wanted to get married and have a family. He was 35 when they got married. My brothers both got married at 19. That said, looking for love is a timeless issue that many can relate to.
I think it is still a rare thing that people find their soulmates/the one.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:00 AM
Master Fan

I knew Jess' story sounded a little familiar, haha....

Mary Tyler Moore: Season 1, Episode 15
Howard's Girl (2 Jan. 1971)
Mary's budding romance with Paul Arnell hits a roadblock -- Paul's parents, who insist that Mary belongs with their favorite son, Howard.

It's not the same but similar. But then again Mary was in her 30's looking for love. Sound familiar?
Old 01-16-2016, 10:27 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatB (View Post)
I knew Jess' story sounded a little familiar, haha....

Mary Tyler Moore: Season 1, Episode 15
Howard's Girl (2 Jan. 1971)
Mary's budding romance with Paul Arnell hits a roadblock -- Paul's parents, who insist that Mary belongs with their favorite son, Howard.

It's not the same but similar. But then again Mary was in her 30's looking for love. Sound familiar?
You said it before right? Or someone said Regardless I found it typical Jess story haha
Old 01-17-2016, 02:39 AM
Extreme Fan

I might be going against the grain a bit but this episode didn't rock my boat.

Schmidt getting Nick to do the dirty work and not backing him up gave me the irrits. In the end, Nick was true about who he is and it turned out ok. Schmidt just cannot relate to normal people!

It was good to see Henry Winker (another PnR throwback) and Fred was dead pan boring. Had the intelligence and personality of a stick but his dancing was funny.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icomefromalanddownunder (View Post)
I might be going against the grain a bit but this episode didn't rock my boat.

Schmidt getting Nick to do the dirty work and not backing him up gave me the irrits. In the end, Nick was true about who he is and it turned out ok. Schmidt just cannot relate to normal people!

It was good to see Henry Winker (another PnR throwback) and Fred was dead pan boring. Had the intelligence and personality of a stick but his dancing was funny.
Henry was great! I think in the beginning Schmidt had Nick step up cause he is the manager. The employees would not respect the boss that has to have someone else come in to do the hard stuff. I may not agree with all of Schmidt's actions but Nick is the boss and he realized that he has to take responsibility for the bar. If they fail, it's on him. I also didn't like Javier at all!
Old 01-17-2016, 05:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Hmm that is ok Kevin. I get it might have been annoying on Schmidt's part and yes Fred was the human pile of saltine dust

Tho I think that Schmidt was doing the nasty work too but he was encouraging Nick to do the nasty work because when you are in charge you have to do the nasty work, not play sliding glasses or as Schmidt called "screw the boss" with your friends who are first of your employees. But in Nick's case the bar is about people, and they were his friends not his employees. So at the end without playing "screw the boss" he will try to be the boss he wants to be and Schmidt understood that and encouraged him on that too. Schmidt was not false in his sayings but he is that kind of employer, strict, it is all he has seen and experienced. To him business is business and bar is business. So I found the SL very in character of Schmidt and Nick and I especially loved the ending how they have become to understand their differences

Javier is kind of an employee who acts like they are lucky to have him But it is how it has been I guess so he found the change appalling to him. I love their "your mother" changes tho. It was a fun episode for me and I don't take it so seriously tbh. It was funny

So my actual question about the episode is how can you be in FULL charge with 10% share of anywhere? also another funny thing is they put 20k together but hardly only 5k was Nick's. So actually if Schmidt wanted to be the boss he could be. but he wants Nick to thrive there! Awwwwwwww how can you not like him?

ETA: I just rewatched Tinfinity episode and the SL reminded me of it actually. Schmidt is being a jerk sometimes but he has a good heart (he is the Sheldon of NG lol). And most importantly he loves Nick sooooooooooo much awww There is no doubt about it whatever he says or does. Well the resemblence was that Nick while not wanting the responsibility he got a responsibility for the party planning. Also Schmidt thought Nick was "below" him, not that he thought he was "below" him but what he wrote as Nick's speech made him sound like that. That Nick is nothing without him etc. Remember? Nick doesn't take any responsibility, he is a bartender, etc. He thought his life is all good that he knows better and Nick is someone he has to take care of all the time. But at the end, even tho he has the better job etc with Cece's engagement he realized that he is not that different from Nick because things didn't turn out as he has planned either. And again he was belittering Nick's choice as him choosing the bartending and leaving the law school. Schmidt cannot understand it... "You know how our relationship works. I am over responsible, You are under responsible." Anyway my point is, these are bros with different ideas and sometimes they try to change each other but at the end they always come to the terms that they gotta understand each other's ways and let them be I ADORE THEM They balance each other so very well imo.

Last edited by lessismore; 01-17-2016 at 06:45 AM
lessismore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 05:00 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
If the season premiere was on the sloppier (if still often funny and likable) end of the "New Girl" spectrum, "What About Fred?" was a reminder of just how effective the show can be when it keeps things even a little tighter.
Read more at Review: New Girl - What About Fred?: Date the parents?

Hagerty, and Taran Killam (whose breakdance preparations were funny enough to get an expanded showcase over the closing credits), but also for the underrated Jess/Winston pairing, as both fell hard for Flip and Nancy and had to figure out how much they were willing to put up with Fred. The plotting was clear and simple enough that there was room to let Fred go on and on and on and on and on about his model trains, in a scene that was as wonderful for everyone else's reaction to it (Flip's ashamed bow of his head was hysterical) as for the show's commitment to letting the bit run long enough for us to fully appreciate why Jess can't stick with this guy just to maintain proximity to his parents.

It's been so long since the show's been on the air that I had forgotten all about Nick and Schmidt partnering up to buy the bar. But the B-story suggests it'll be a fruitful ongoing dynamic, as Nick's pathological inattention to detail will weigh much more heavily on Schmidt now that there's money at stake. Also, now that Cece and Schmidt are a couple again, she needs a new character on whom she can vent her disdain, since that's the most effective weapon in Hannah Simone's comic arsenal. Seeing Cece switch abruptly from defiance with Nick to sweetness with Schmidt was a fine running gag. Though if I'm being honest, I'd have approved of the subplot even if it had nothing to offer beyond Schmidt telling the staff, "Save your groans for 'Birdman'!"
x
I loved both episodes but I loved the premiere more tbh
Old 01-24-2016, 08:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The premiere was much better, but this one still had its moments

And yes, people still find their one. You just can't make that a goal in your life, that either your achieve or you failed. I wish tv would show more people who are happily single and not constantly looking for love, because those people exist and are relatable too. I also wish they'd show more successful relationships, where people get together, STAY together, and grow together, because that is also much more common than fiction leads us to believe.
Aurora Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:21 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Khaleesi~ (View Post)

And yes, people still find their one. You just can't make that a goal in your life, that either your achieve or you failed. I wish tv would show more people who are happily single and not constantly looking for love, because those people exist and are relatable too. I also wish they'd show more successful relationships, where people get together, STAY together, and grow together, because that is also much more common than fiction leads us to believe.
I agree, I am single and happy. There are also people who make relationships work. That's what I liked about Parenthood, was that they showed functional relationships. They also showed the other, unfortunately. But it is nice to see a couple start the show together and end the show still together and are together during the course of the series. I don't find that boring.
Old 01-25-2016, 02:19 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:

IA as well. I think many shows lack in diversity. There are all kinds of relationships but they go with on-off type of relationships the most. Sometimes it makes sense and sometimes it doesn't.

I think what they are trying to do right now is changing Jess' view on relationships and love too. She literally falls in love with love. She romanticizes people and relationships (Something Nick does as well but he has already changed on that matter). Jess gotta except the person she says she loves fully imo.

For instance, I saw an article about how Nick is changing in order to be the man to be with Jess but it was lacking in understanding why Jess is also changing and should be changing in order to be together with Nick. It is a two way street.
Old 01-25-2016, 06:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I agree, I am single and happy. There are also people who make relationships work. That's what I liked about Parenthood, was that they showed functional relationships. They also showed the other, unfortunately. But it is nice to see a couple start the show together and end the show still together and are together during the course of the series. I don't find that boring.
YES! I don't find that boring at all!

I used to love Parenthood, but it ruined my favorite ship

Quote:
She literally falls in love with love.
YES!!!!!!!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I was telling a friend of mine about her own situation the other day, that she was in love with the idea of being in love, the idea of being with someone, of feeling something. And the worst thing is most of the time people are in love with the idea of a love that HURTS and is super hard to work out. That is so NOT what love is
Aurora Cormier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:36 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
YES! I don't find that boring at all!

I used to love Parenthood, but it ruined my favorite ship

YES!!!!!!!!!!! That is EXACTLY what I was telling a friend of mine about her own situation the other day, that she was in love with the idea of being in love, the idea of being with someone, of feeling something. And the worst thing is most of the time people are in love with the idea of a love that HURTS and is super hard to work out. That is so NOT what love is
I was thinking maybe you were talking about JJ, but you probably mean Sarah and Mr Cyre? I can't remember his first name, lol..... I loved JJ, so that hurt but it ended well. I liked Sarah and Hank so I loved the ending. Sorry for you though.

I agree about Jess. She seems to already plan the wedding and where the kids will go to school in her head after the first date.
Old 01-26-2016, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sorry for your ship, I have no idea about Parenthood

The theme of this season is: growing up. So I am sure everyone will take their shares of it. In fact they already started taking it

Last season they were all single for the most of the time and they were all there for each other as a true family. The theme was being single and being there for each other. I love a scene in 4x21 where Nick and Jess take Coach to May and when they confess their love to each other, Nick says "This is all you Jess. If if it was upto us we'd be beating a priest right now" I think this is really Jess' most improtant story. She literally changes everyone's life for the positive and she never gives up on the people she loves. I love that about her. And as all of them she has her flaws too which are changing. Again last season she learned that she doesn't always know the best. In fact sometimes she has no idea and she finally admitted it This season started out so great because she was the glue to hold the group together. When Schmidt was gonna give up she came to the rescue. When Mama P again didn't give her blessing, she gave her blessing and reminded that she is there for Schmece. Now they have become each other's real family and it warms my heart so much Last season, she also recognised being single is her journey too and she embraced it with Cece. I loved that too tbh.

In this episode we saw that Jess was almost there planning a Model Train themed wedding in Vermont but at the end, she didn't settle for setltling even if a part of her dream would come true. She saw that even the most perfect people might have flaws (Flip and Nancy tried to make a deal with her). Also I hope she understood that she can't be Flip and Nancy without working on it. Relationships are really hard.

Nice review from a friend:
https://www.voiceoftv.com/post/new-g..._medium=Social
Old 02-07-2016, 04:47 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Still melting over this:

You wanna mama-bird me the cookie?!
Reply   Post New Thread