Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 08:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

Zoe's characterization worries me tbh, I've said before that they can't afford to have their main character be unlikeable & I think Rachel does a good job to bringing a certain charm to Zoe, but some of her actions....

at some point clueless to other people's feelings just becomes selfishness.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Elite Fan

Agreed which is why I had such a problem with her in the race episode and in episode 205. Both those times she definitely crossed the line into selfishness. Thankfully they never keep her there too long. I've accepted that it is just part of her journey as a character to become more aware and less self absorbed. Sort of like Wade needs to grow up and gain a focus in life. Each has had moments where they do show that they are on the right path and then they stumble. I'm more forgiving of Wade because I understand him better and because they have done such a good job of showing things from his POV.

Another problem is last season she was called out on it almost immediately. Wade pointed it out and even Lavon addressed it. This season no one is calling her out so she is getting away with it. Wade just goes along with her because he wants to be with her. George who the hell knows what he is thinking since she tells him to date and he goes along with it. And Lavon is too wrapped up in Ruby to pay attention. Someone at some point needs to stand up to her and point out that what is going on isn't right.

So far she has toed the line, but the longer things go on the more annoying it becomes. Although it does seem like it has to come out soon since we have George seemingly moving on. Wade and Zoe growing closer without it being acknowledged. And Wade isn't stupid. He is going to figure things out soon or someone is going to open his eyes. He probably does know what is going on but doesn't want to face it.

She hasn't gotten as bad as Kate on Fairly Legal yet if anyone watched that. That was a show where a triangle was done so bad that the woman in the middle came across as just selfish and you couldn't root for her at all.

Last edited by Tracie76; 11-17-2012 at 08:31 AM
Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I think part of it is that they need her to act certain ways to facilitate the plot of that episode, but it does come at the expense of her character

we've seen them do the same with Wade when they need him to be the bad guy & it's just so frustrating!

I don't watch Fairly Legal, but I do agree that the writers really aren't handling the triangle that well
Old 11-17-2012, 08:43 AM
Elite Fan

It just comes down to that I don't like triangles. LOL And agreed they did it too much with Wade last year with the immaturity and him screwing up. Now it seems to be Zoe's turn. Thankfully they've at least left Wade alone for the most part this season.

If they wanted to do the triangle they should have given more build up to the other side. Not that I want to see that, but it at least wouldn't make it seem like she suddenly lost her mind after seemingly being fine around George. I actually had no problem with the build up of both sides at the beginning of last season. I'd even say up until they had Wade act like an idiot when he joked about having feelings for her. Prime example there of having Wade act like a jerk to then move forward with GZ. And then they forgot about build up and just went full force with her again acting like an idiot around George.

We are supposed to believe that she is an educated doctor so you assume with that comes some self awareness. I get not doing relationships well. It is the total lack of concern for anything but her feelings or wishes when she gets in the "George mind set". She was down right nasty to Lemon at times last season in the Christmas episode. She totally forgot that George was engaged and didn't respect those boundaries. And she trampled all over Wade's feelings while pursuing George after she was told about Wade's feelings for her. And them doing episode 5 this season just once again reminded me why I will never like it when they finally do GZ because I don't like who she becomes when she is in that mind set.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:45 AM
Fan Forum Hero

My biggest problem is actually that I so totally do not understand ZG, even less in season 2 than in season 1, and where they're coming from with all their grand speeches about their "love"for each other. I just dont get it because there's next to no foundation to justify any of it.
So yeah, the triangle is definitely not handled well and it gets even worse when they sacrifice Zoe or Wade or George, whoever it is from time to time, for a random comeback of ZG every 3 episodes or so. It's frustrating and I can only hope they will cut it, either finally explore ZG or just stop it. Ugh.

And I agree about someone needing to point it out to Zoe. The lack of someone talking sense to her (LAVON last season, ever since she was all over George..he was basically the voice of reason), even though she didnt listen and might not this time, makes it even more frustrating to watch.

Edit: Yes, Tracie.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:52 AM
Elite Fan

For me they have only sacrificed Wade and Zoe so far in this triangle. Not once has George really had to get anything but punched in the face by Lemon.

And all last season we had at least one scene with ZW. Even in the NO episode. Even if they were pissed at each other, we still got something. And you understood why she was pissed at him in the NO episode. It all made sense. We got the build up of Wade's feelings for her.

George just decides that because she is staying in town that he is in love with her after all or whatever. He woke up that morning perfectly prepared to marry Lemon and have a life with her. And now that Zoe isn't with him he seemingly is dating just fine other than that odd episode of Zombie George there is no indication that either Zoe or George are troubled by the current circumstances. Last season they showed us time and time again that Wade was not ok with how things were. He was frustrated. Even when he did date Joelle we still why he did it because of Zoe. And when Zoe was with Judson we still got how Wade gets to her. So they still built up their relationship so it makes sense.

And Lisa I'm with you. I'm to the point ok show us the epicness of ZG because I'm curious how they are going to do it and make it believable. I wonder if they will only interact for 1 scene a show or every 3 shows like they do now. I'm also really curious how Wade is going to fit into the equation. I definitely do not want them having to use Wade as a third wheel in their relationship to give them a story line. I want them to have to write and show us why ZG are interesting enough for the viewers to care about. Right now I'm not getting it. I find the reasons for being apart stupid. And I can't root for a couple who makes up excuses to not be together. Not that I'm going to be rooting for ZG anyway. But I'd find it less annoying if it made any sense to me.

This whole dating other people to better ourselves so we can be the best versions of ourselves when we get together thing really bugs me. Why can't they better themselves together? And if they change while apart won't they be different people than the original version they think is their soulmate. And really how does dating someone short term with the intention of it going no where make someone a better person?

Last edited by Tracie76; 11-17-2012 at 09:12 AM
Old 11-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracie76 (View Post)
For me they have only sacrificed Wade and Zoe so far in this triangle. Not once has George really had to get anything but punched in the face by Lemon.
That's true, he didnt really have to "pay" for anything or face conseuences on the show. But to me as a viewer he's been painted in a rather bad light many, many times, even though I guess he wasnt supposed to come off that way. So to me, this triangle didnt do his character any favors either.

Quote:
George just decides that because she is staying in town that he is in love with her after all or whatever. He woke up that morning perfectly prepared to marry Lemon and have a life with her. And now that Zoe isn't with him he seemingly is dating just fine other than that odd episode of Zombie George there is no indication that either Zoe or George are troubled by the current circumstances. Last season they showed us time and time again that Wade was not ok with how things were. He was frustrated. Even when he did date Joelle we still why he did it because of Zoe. And when Zoe was with Judson we still got how Wade gets to her. So they still built up their relationship so it makes sense.
Ugh, yes, dont remind me of that. That first sentence is the perfect example for what I meant. also that he told Lemon it's not fair to only give her half of his heart..but it's okay for Zoe, who he wanted to get with minutes after?
But yeah, positivity. I love that they always showed WZ in season 1, no matter how tiny or "meaningless" the scene might have appeared. It has to mean something.

Edit: I can only to what you added, again. I really wonder how it'll play out with ZG, the way they set them up so far..Idk, I have my doubts. But I would hope the writers kept Wade far apart from them and their story, for many reasons.
And you know I so dont get Zoe's theory there, with stars aligning. Definitely not how it will make them better people (also because she already thinks George is perfect for her?), screwing others over in the process? it's just stupid.

Last edited by sommerregen; 11-17-2012 at 09:10 AM
Old 11-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2011 (View Post)
That's true, he didnt really have to "pay" for anything or face conseuences on the show. But to me as a viewer he's been painted in a rather bad light many, many times, even though I guess he wasnt supposed to come off that way. So to me, this triangle didnt do his character any favors either.

Ugh, yes, dont remind me of that. That first sentence is the perfect example for what I meant. also that he told Lemon it's not fair to only give her half of his heart..but it's okay for Zoe, who he wanted to get with minutes after?
But yeah, positivity. I love that they always showed WZ in season 1, no matter how tiny or "meaningless" the scene might have appeared. It has to mean something.
I agree with you about the first part. George hasn't come off like a saint to me either. I'm not sure that was their intention though. I think that was completely by accident. See premiere as a prime example. Most people raved about him and I thought he was a jerk. With Wade there is no doubt when they are throwing him under the bus. Or even Zoe for that matter.

And again completely agreed about the other part. I just can't get it. There has never been any doubt that Wade has feelings for Zoe and they started early on. He might not have always acted appropriately but you knew it was because of his feelings for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa2011 (View Post)
Edit: I can only to what you added, again. I really wonder how it'll play out with ZG, the way they set them up so far..Idk, I have my doubts. But I would hope the writers kept Wade far apart from them and their story, for many reasons.
And you know I so dont get Zoe's theory there, with stars aligning. Definitely not how it will make them better people (also because she already thinks George is perfect for her?), screwing others over in the process? it's just stupid.
I can't say how much I really would hate the idea of them using Wade as part of their story. I mean I want Wade there for her to not be able to forget him, but I don't want this triangle crap. I want those 2 to have to have a story. I don't know how it will happen because I can't think of anything beyond talk of NY or Woody Allen movies. I can't picture them having the cute moments we have with ZW like in 6 where there weren't many but they were meaningful. I just picture sappy speeches and a lot of eyerolling on my end.

And agreed it just sounds like they are using the person they are currently with and it is insulting to that person. Apparently they aren't good enough for the long term, but good enough to have a good time with? I would hope that isn't the message this show is trying to tell.

Last edited by Tracie76; 11-17-2012 at 09:16 AM
Old 11-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

yeah, George is no saint in my eyes, but I think the writers want him to look like one

the whole thing just bugs me. I know that they think the triangle is a big draw for the show, but I really disagree & think it just needs to be dropped one way or another.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't keep up with you today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracie76 (View Post)
I agree with you about the first part. George hasn't come off like a saint to me either. I'm not sure that was their intention though. I think that was completely by accident. See premiere as a prime example. Most people raved about him and I thought he was a jerk. With Wade there is no doubt when they are throwing him under the bus. Or even Zoe for that matter.
Yes. It almost makes me feel sorry for SP, but I just can't help it.

Quote:
And again completely agreed about the other part. I just can't get it. There has never been any doubt that Wade has feelings for Zoe and they started early on. He might not have always acted appropriately but you knew it was because of his feelings for her.
Plus, he wasnt engaged to a woman he's been with for freaking 15 years (and who he loved, as George stated many times). Anyways..

Old 11-17-2012, 09:24 AM
Elite Fan

For me for ZG to ultimately wind up together and being perfectly happy ever after gives a message that I don't like. They have spent a lot of time telling us that Zoe is selfish and snobbish. They talk about all the differences between she and Wade. Yet they show us how he has fallen for her and how she relies on him.

So for me the story would have to be him growing up and her adjusting to this new life and this surprise love that she never thought she'd have in this town or with this person, but that it ultimately works. It also would show that she isn't selfish or snobbish. Ending up with George who is of the same social status and background just gives me the message that she thinks Wade is beneath her and not good enough except to sleep with. And they spent too much time making Wade sympathetic for me to buy that message. If they wanted to portray Wade like that they should have kept him an actual bad boy who only wanted to sleep with her. They never should have had him fall for her.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:29 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Friends

I know, I like a story with actual change & growth & feelings changing.

Not just two people meet, immediately love each other, then there are all these contrived circumstances to keep them apart, then they end up together & there is no real journey
Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Yup, especially if both characters can grow individually and learn from each other. WZ have already done that and he knows her SO well already, yet there's still a lot of "work" left for them.

That's so true, Tracie. It wouldnt fit with the entire premise of the show, as we said multiple times by now with that "formula". In the long run, I just dont see it being anything but WZ as of now, and I dont think the writers will convinve me of anything else.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:36 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyesxx (View Post)
I know, I like a story with actual change & growth & feelings changing.

Not just two people meet, immediately love each other, then there are all these contrived circumstances to keep them apart, then they end up together & there is no real journey
That is exactly how I feel. For her to end up with George shows 0 character growth for her to me. Ok maybe she has accepted that living in Bluebell isn't all that bad. But it would still show to me that she thinks herself above the people of Bluebell except for those of a certain status.

Again if they hadn't shown us this then I wouldn't expect it to be part of her journey. But from Wade's POV they've shown us that is how she is. Adding in the complete lack of build up to George and also the way she herself has said how she views Wade and I have to think that. It goes back to Wade saying in 1x18, "It's the nature of the beast. Prefer to keep the company of your own kind." And then she reaffirmed that in the finale by talking about how it would never work between them because they are too different.

So in the end are they going to put her with George and tell us that all of that is true? Again if that is the case that is a lousy message to have. And then why spend all this time even bringing that stuff up?

Aside from Lemon and now Wade there is no reason why George and Zoe shouldn't be together if they wanted to be. Any excuse to be apart is just made up.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I agree with everything said in here

ZG make zero sense to me as well cause there is nothing they have shown me that indicates they are meant to be other then there telling me that.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread