Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 07:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked Ilian, too, Taryn.
ICON
Old 07-30-2018, 08:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

I'm also really baffled about some fans who only seem to complain and moan about the show, and are determined to bring everyone down with them. If I don't enjoy the show anymore, I just stop watching. Period.

Wow, those Twitter comments on that innocent Echo/Emori hug is insane. Unfortunately that is the "price" of fandom, you will always get these extreme fans who are determined to make sure that everyone knows how they feel about a characters/storyline. Especially with a teen-oriented show like this. It's just a mob mentality and unfortunately tends to reflect badly on certain parts of the fandom.

I'd appreciate it though, if there was less self-policing in this thread from now on. If you feel like someone is bashing a character, please go to either me or Lisa. We've privately sent messages to posters where we feel like the bashing gets out of line especially when it's something like "so-and-so deserves to die" or "I wouldn't care if so-and-so died" (I know that we've not done the best in the past with more disliked characters such as Jaha and even Finn but we're trying to do better now), because it's just not a pleasant thing to read about. Everyone has fans, even if you may not understand why those characters are actually liked. I do however agree that constant comments about not liking characters without elaborating on why you dislike them do not contribute much to the conversation.

There's no hard and fast rule to say that if you say you don't like a character 2/3 times, it's fine and if you say it ten times, it's bashing etc. As long as it doesn't steer into comments which center around the actor/actress or using derogatory language to refer to the character, it doesn't cross a line for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripp (View Post)
So are mine. But I think some storylines we are complaining about are suffering because there isn’t enough time to really tell them. Shaw/Raven is a full on romance and with what little devepment they got was really messy at their very beginning. If there had been more episodes to draw out and setup their “back and forth” it may have worked out better. Also, Murphy and Emori deserve some follow up to their estrangement. I mean, it should be awkward as hell to have them around each other but not together but you don’t really see that. I feel like Kane is being short ended too. I get he’s all against Octavia but I don’t get why he seems to forget that there are others following her that he should consider friends he’s willing to turn on and could get hurt. We’ve already mentioned Raven has no storyline right now except reacting to a hot guy making heart eyes at her.
This. I've said it before but if there ever was a season which would have benefited greatly from a 16 episode run, it's season 5. I didn't feel this for the previous seasons but honestly, I feel like both the overall arc AND the character developments in general feel rushed/underdeveloped this season. It's still a great show but yes, that is my gripe this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonny1 (View Post)

Watch 2x15 (shouting at the grounders in the cages to be quiet) and 4x01, Sarah ... there you can see Echo's leadership qualities ... she has the right attitude to be a leader if it's necessary
On the other side she does a good job with supporting her Queen/King or Spacekru if it's necessary and leaves the leadership to someone else, to Bellamy for example or to Raven/Murphy like 5x09 has showed
I remember that scene but it's very small action, it still doesn't give me an indication of leadership qualities. And using your example, Raven/Murphy did take the lead there but it never seemed like they were bossy/dismissive, which I felt like Echo was in 5X11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynFan (View Post)
It really made me grateful for this place and for the thoughtful, respectful discussion here. I started coming here because nobody I know in real life watches the show, and it’s too thought-provoking not to discuss. I really appreciate the opportunity to do so here.

All the discussion about how we weren’t shown how she changed seems to me to be a little off base, because I don’t think that she has changed. She has simply switched her allegiance from Azgeda (which no longer exists) to SpaceKru. We’re getting to see now why Roan like Nia trusted and relied on her—she’s fiercely loyal, strong, resourceful, and willing to do ANYTHING to help her people. She’s a good person to have on your side.
I'm really glad that you feel that way. We have a lot of intelligent posters and discussions here, and that has only grown in the past 2 years or so. Very grateful to have a place like this to discuss in such an in-depth and thought provoking way, nothing worse than an entirely negative platform for the show or one where everyone agrees with everyone else 24/7.

I can agree with that, I don't see it as Echo changing as much as her allegiances shifting from protecting her people and ensuring their survival to now focusing on ensuring that Spacekru stays alive and well.

soljae ♥
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 07-30-2018, 08:28 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by destroyer of worlds (View Post)
Wow, those Twitter comments on that innocent Echo/Emori hug is insane. Unfortunately that is the "price" of fandom, you will always get these extreme fans who are determined to make sure that everyone knows how they feel about a characters/storyline. Especially with a teen-oriented show like this. It's just a mob mentality and unfortunately tends to reflect badly on certain parts of the fandom.
I often wonder how different things would be if this show had gotten picked up by a channel like SyFy instead of the CW. I feel like just putting in the context of shows like TVD and Gossip Girl brings in a younger audience that are looking for certain things. But The 100 really isn't about those things. Like it's not really a teen-oriented show. It's a show about very adult themes on a teen-oriented network. So there's this gap in expectations between the kind of show that Jason and the writers are trying to make, and the kind of show that a lot of these fans want it to be. And then both sides get frustrated with each other and you see these insane things happen on twitter.
Old 07-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)
I often wonder how different things would be if this show had gotten picked up by a channel like SyFy instead of the CW. I feel like just putting in the context of shows like TVD and Gossip Girl brings in a younger audience that are looking for certain things. But The 100 really isn't about those things. Like it's not really a teen-oriented show. It's a show about very adult themes on a teen-oriented network. So there's this gap in expectations between the kind of show that Jason and the writers are trying to make, and the kind of show that a lot of these fans want it to be. And then both sides get frustrated with each other and you see these insane things happen on twitter.
I still feel like it's a teen-oriented show just because of the network but yeah, the audience clearly consists of a more mature group of fans, which is on brand with the darker themes on the show since that tends to resonate with more adult fans rather than the younger ones.

I would have loved that TBH, I feel like this is a show which can push the envelope even further if it was on a cable/more adult oriented network. It is impressive what The CW has been able to get away with showing on this show though, I have to say.

And that makes sense, I feel like it's all about the ships for some people which is fine ... because people watch shows for different reasons. But then you get this disconnect between expectation and reality because the show will never have focus on that as a central theme unlike those shows you just mentioned. And then that tends to frustrate certain fans who want to see more of that.

soljae ♥
Old 07-30-2018, 09:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

http://www.fanforum.com/f34/dark-yea...-2-a-63211407/

soljae ♥