Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 09:44 AM
Fan Forum Star

The Dark Year [5X11] Episode Discussion Airdate [07-24-18] #2

5x11: The Dark Year

NEW TIME @ 8:00pm EST

TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS
As Clarke (Eliza Taylor) races to save Abby (Paige Turco), she learns more about the trials and tribulations Wonkru faced in the bunker, and the impossible decisions they were forced to make in the dark year. Bob Morley, Henry Ian Cusick, Marie Avgeropoulos, Lindsey Morgan, Richard Harmon, Chris Larkin and Tasya Teles also star. Alex Kalymnios directed the episode written by Heidi Cole McAdams (#511). Original airdate 7/24/2018.

Basic Rules:
- Be Respectful of other posters. Not everyone is going to agree or have the same views. Discussions are encouraged, but let’s keep things civil.

- No Character/Actor/ship Bashing. We love your opinions on storylines, but keep in mind that these are real people who are just trying to do the best with what they are given. We might not always like how things turn out, but just remember things can always get better.

- Everything is a spoiler until it has aired. Please do not post any promos or promotional photos without a spoiler cut (only the TV promo that has aired is considered not a spoiler).

- Any talk of Illegal Downloading should not be brought up here. Live Streams & such can be discussed through PM's.

- Most importantly, HAVE FUN!
Previous thread

There's nothing more human than l o v e.
the CEO & demon
do do hee ♥ jeong gu won
Sarah | tumblr | little splashes of colour + credit
Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Everwood

Tftnt.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:57 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT

From last thread:

Quote:
All the discussion about how we weren’t shown how she changed seems to me to be a little off base, because I don’t think that she has changed. She has simply switched her allegiance from Azgeda (which no longer exists) to SpaceKru. We’re getting to see now why Roan like Nia trusted and relied on her—she’s fiercely loyal, strong, resourceful, and willing to do ANYTHING to help her people. She’s a good person to have on your side.

Having her on “our side” now further develops the show’s point that there are no absolute good guys, because “good” depends on your perspective. Echo still has her big flaw, that her loyalty to her side overrides other values like honor (cheating at the conclave) and valuing human life (she’ll kill anybody, as Shaw almost found out, if it furthers her side’s interest).
Exactly, she's the same person with a different allegiance. Her loyalty has changed, but she hasn't changed as a person/her motivations haven't changed (IMO).

amelia | icon: mel
Old 07-30-2018, 10:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

TFTNT!

That’s a good point about her, one I hadn’t thought of. I think that, from a relationship standpoint, we would have benefitted from seeing more, but from a plot standpoint, we didn’t need to see more because it is in character.
ICON
Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 AM
Total Fan

Since we're still having this conversation about Echo, I'm gonna bring over my reply since it got buried at the end of the thread:

Quote:
I don't really think that last part [about her not valuing loyalty or human life] is true. She was given a mission to figure out who all the traitors/defectors were in Wonkru and rat them out to Octavia, but she didn't do that. It wasn't out of loyalty but rather human compassion. She could see that they were really upset about what had happened to them in the bunker and she decided it was wrong to betray them. And with Shaw, even though Raven had told her it was okay to kill him, she still waited and ended up not doing it because Raven was clearly upset about it.

Almost every character on the show will kill anybody to further their side's interest. Like Clarke shot that guard who had bowed to Madi without thinking twice. Or Indra throwing a knife into a guy's head when Octavia woke up. Bellamy and Clarke murdered Kara with flesh-eating worms to further their side's interests. That's just the stakes these characters find themselves in. They're at war and everything is life or death. Compared to some of these other characters, Echo has shown a lot of restraint. She didn't kill Shaw. I can only remember her killing one person this season and that was just this week when she took out the guy who was holding Murphy at gunpoint.
I also want to say that I think Echo did have a redemption arc at the end of S4. Her lowest point was cheating in the conclave and then everything after that was redemption. She went to Octavia and basically sacrificed herself to have the rest of Azgeda. Then she saved Adventure Squad from being killed in that ambush. And then she was working together with everyone as a team to try to escape the death wave. The key scene was that conversation she had with Bellamy about how scared she was and they talked about how they would have to spend the next five years working together and how Bellamy didn't know if he could learn to trust her, but he valued and needed her because she's strong. That's it right there. They set us up for understanding what was going to happen on the Ring over the time jump. So then when you come back in S5, the audience sees that all of those things have come to fruition and Bellamy and Echo have learned to work together and even love each other. Sure, they didn't spend a whole season working on a redemption arc, but Echo is a relatively minor character and I don't think it was necessary to go more in depth than that.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:31 AM
Fan Forum Hero

If that was meant to be her redemption, it definitely didn't come across that way or hold enough weight compared to her actions (in my eyes, at least - I can, however, see that perhaps that's what the intention of the writing was).

Old 07-30-2018, 10:39 AM
Total Fan

It worked just fine for me! I felt like I could see they were heading towards "redeeming" Echo all season. They gave her a lot of interesting moments throughout that clearly hinted at it, like when she apologized to Bellamy about Mt. Weather, when she was remorseful about thinking she had killed Octavia, and when she and Bellamy had that whole side mission where Bellamy talked Riley down from assassinating Roan. After all of that, I was fully expecting her to come back in S5 having fully integrated into Spacekru.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiss the wind (View Post)
If that was meant to be her redemption, it definitely didn't come across that way or hold enough weight compared to her actions (in my eyes, at least - I can, however, see that perhaps that's what the intention of the writing was).
Dude, same.
ICON
Old 07-30-2018, 11:02 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy Dunlop (View Post)

I think Echo did have a redemption arc at the end of S4. Her lowest point was cheating in the conclave and then everything after that was redemption. She went to Octavia and basically sacrificed herself to have the rest of Azgeda. Then she saved Adventure Squad from being killed in that ambush. And then she was working together with everyone as a team to try to escape the death wave.
Hmm, good points. I think by the end of S4 I was so afraid to trust her I kind of glossed over her helping the Adventure Squad, I figured she was setting them up for a double cross or something. And then by the time S5 started I had forgotten about it.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn74 (View Post)
Hmm, good points. I think by the end of S4 I was so afraid to trust her I kind of glossed over her helping the Adventure Squad, I figured she was setting them up for a double cross or something. And then by the time S5 started I had forgotten about it.
Yeah, there was that moment when they showed her putting on the war paint and everyone was supposed to think, "Oh no! Is she going to betray them?" And then after the commercial break they come back and it's revealed that she's just scared and she's going to kill herself. Kinda typical storytelling technique to surprise you with a character's softer, vulnerable side. And then she has that heartfelt pep talk with Bellamy. I think they set up her S5 story really well like this. But I can see how since she's just a supporting character, a lot of people overlook or forget about the work the writers put into developing her.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:12 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Watch 2x15 (shouting at the grounders in the cages to be quiet) and 4x01, Sarah ... there you can see Echo's leadership qualities ... she has the right attitude to be a leader if it's necessary
On the other side she does a good job with supporting her Queen/King or Spacekru if it's necessary and leaves the leadership to someone else, to Bellamy for example or to Raven/Murphy like 5x09 has showed
Quote:
I remember that scene but it's very small action, it still doesn't give me an indication of leadership qualities. And using your example, Raven/Murphy did take the lead there but it never seemed like they were bossy/dismissive, which I felt like Echo was in 5X11.
Echo taking the leadership role until Roan wakes up in 4x01 wasn't only a very small action ... it's a big part of the episode

Everyone has different leadership styles ... Raven/Murphy did it their own way, and Echo is used to have a military leadership style ... that's nothing bad for me ... quite the contrary ... I like bossy leaders. I think that's pretty cool
Clarke and Diyoza, they have a pretty similar leadership styles IMO, and I also like it to see them leading a group

I agree with everything you've said about Echo, Fuzzy
Old 07-30-2018, 11:36 AM
Fan Forum Hero

See, the divide in opinion stems from viewers just having different perceptions, not necessarily overlooking anything. Some viewers feel that season 4 set up a redemption for her that works as happening off screen. Some feel differently. Neither side is wrong for viewing it the way they do. Personally, I don’t feel like anything we got in prior seasons was sufficient enough to show any redemptive development, so I’m struggling because I feel like the show is just telling me she’s redeemed. The seeds may have been planted, but we didn’t get to watch them grow, so to speak.

I was going to say more, but I just won’t.

And let’s be clear that this is not a bash. In reality, more of my issues with Echo stem from the way they’ve written her character rather than the actual potential of the character herself. At least people aren’t indifferent towards her, though. Whether positive or negative, strong opinions about her do exist.

In other news, moving on to a new topic . . . Logan’s reaction vids are up and they’re great. I pretty much agree with him whole-heartedly about this past episode. His Top 10 changed, too. He actually bumped Diyoza up to his #5 and Octavia down to his #6.
ICON

Last edited by April7739; 07-30-2018 at 11:44 AM
Old 07-30-2018, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I was so sad at the fact that their wasn't much Diyoza in this episode.

She's actually probably in my top three for the season.

Old 07-30-2018, 12:12 PM
Fan Forum Hero

She’s been such a surprise. I don’t normally warm up to new characters so quickly, but last season I had Ilian, and now this season, I’ve got her.

The initial introduction seemed to lead people to believe she’d be a villain, but she’s been far less villainous than many other characters this season. That twist in the way they wrote her character has been really refreshing and interesting.
ICON
Old 07-30-2018, 01:08 PM
Total Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by April7739 (View Post)
See, the divide in opinion stems from viewers just having different perceptions, not necessarily overlooking anything. Some viewers feel that season 4 set up a redemption for her that works as happening off screen. Some feel differently. Neither side is wrong for viewing it the way they do. Personally, I don’t feel like anything we got in prior seasons was sufficient enough to show any redemptive development, so I’m struggling because I feel like the show is just telling me she’s redeemed. The seeds may have been planted, but we didn’t get to watch them grow, so to speak.

I was going to say more, but I just won’t.

And let’s be clear that this is not a bash. In reality, more of my issues with Echo stem from the way they’ve written her character rather than the actual potential of the character herself. At least people aren’t indifferent towards her, though. Whether positive or negative, strong opinions about her do exist.
April, why do we have to keep doing this? I was responding specifically to a person who said they had "glossed over" and "forgotten" about parts of Echo's storyline. It's not about you. Nobody is telling you your feelings are wrong. I wasn't even talking to you, so there's no need for all this defensiveness.