Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 AM
Elite Fan

MJ's Music Videos (Short Films) #2: Because his short films were nothing short of brilliant!

MJ's Short Films Thread #2

1. Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough

The music video for "Don’t Stop 'til You Get Enough" was directed and produced by Nick Saxton and made its world premiere in October 1979.[3] It was Jackson's first solo music video. It featured a smiling Jackson floating over a background of disco lights and performing dance techniques while singing the song in a tuxedo. At one stage, Jackson is seen dancing in triplicate, which was considered innovative at the time.

2. Rock With You

"Rock with You" was released on November 3, 1979, as the second single from Michael Jackson's first solo LP and breakthrough album, Off the Wall. Written by Heatwave group member and songwriter Rod Temperton, the song helped Jackson score one of the first Billboard number-one singles in the 1980s, as well as one of the last big hits of the disco era. It reached number one on both the pop and R&B singles chart and became one of Jackson's most-loved songs. A video for the song shows a smiling Jackson dancing in a sequined suit against a background laser. According to Billboard, the song was the fourth biggest single of 1980.

3. Billie Jean

The short film for Jackson's "Billie Jean" is considered the video that brought MTV, a fairly new and unknown music channel, into mainstream attention. It was one of the first videos by a black artist to be played regularly by the channel, as it had felt that black music was "not rock enough." Directed by Steve Barron, the video shows a paparazzo following Jackson. The paparazzo never catches the singer, and even when photographed, Jackson fails to materialise on the developed picture. Dancing his way to Billie Jean's hotel room, Jackson walks along a sidewalk, each tile lighting up at his touch.Performing a quick spin, Jackson jumps and lands, freeze framed, on his toes. Upon arriving at the hotel, Jackson climbs the staircase to Billie Jean's room. Each step illuminates as he touches it and a burnt-out "Hotel" sign illuminates as he passes. Arriving at the scene, the paparazzo watches as Jackson disappears under the covers of Billie Jean's bed. Trailed by the police, the paparazzo is then arrested for spying on the couple.Jackson sported a new look for the video; Jheri curled hair and a surgically sculpted nose. Jackson's look, a black leather suit with a pink shirt and bow tie, was copied by children around the US. Imitation became so severe that despite pupil protests Bound Brook High School banned students from wearing a single white glove like Jackson had on Motown 25.

Walter Yetnikoff, the president of Jackson's record label, CBS, approached MTV to play the "Billie Jean" video. Yetnikoff became enraged when MTV refused to play the video, and threatened to go public with MTV's stance on black musicians. "I said to MTV, ‘I’m pulling everything we have off the air, all our product. I’m not going to give you any more videos. And I’m going to go public and ****ing tell them about the fact you don’t want to play music by a black guy.MTV relented and played the "Billie Jean" video in heavy rotation.Following the airing of the video, Thriller went on to sell an additional 10 million copies.The company later denied claims of racism in their broadcasting. The short film earned Jackson the Billboard Video Award for Best Overall Video and he was inducted into the Music Video Producers Hall of Fame in 1992.In a 2005 poll of 31 pop stars, video directors, agents and journalists conducted by telecommunications company 3, the music video was ranked fifth in their "Top 20 Music Videos Ever".The video was also ranked as the 35th greatest music video in a list compiled by MTV and TV Guide at the millennium

4. Beat It

The short film for "Beat It", directed by Bob Giraldi and choreographed by Michael Peters, helped establish Jackson as an international pop icon.The film was Jackson's first treatment of black youth and the streets. Both "Beat It" and Thriller are notable for their "mass choreography" of synchronized dancers, a Jackson trademark.The video included around 80 genuine gang members—to add authenticity to the production—and 18 professional dancers. Inspired by the Broadway musical West Side Story, the video cost Jackson $150,000 to create after CBS refused to finance it.The video's featured choreography opened up many job opportunities for dancers in the US.

The video received recognition through numerous awards. The American Music Awards named the short film their Favorite Pop/Rock Video and their Favorite Soul Video. The Black Gold Awards honored Jackson with the Best Video Performance award. The Billboard Video Awards recognised the video with 7 awards; Best Overall Video Clip, Best Performance by a Male Artist, Best Use of Video to Enhance a Song, Best Use of Video to Enhance an Artist's Image, Best Choreography, Best Overall Video and Best Dance/Disco 12". The short film was ranked by Rolling Stone as the number one video, in both their critic's and reader's poll. The video was later inducted into the Music Video Producer's Hall of Fame

5. Thriller

"Michael Jackson's Thriller" is a 14-minute music video for the song of the same name released on December 2, 1983 and directed by John Landis, who also co-wrote the screenplay with Jackson. The mini-film music video was broadcast on MTV three weeks before Christmas 1983. It was the most expensive video of its time, costing US$500,000, and Guinness World Records listed it in 2006 as the "most successful music video", selling over 9 million units

6. Bad

The full music video for "Bad" is an 18-minute short film written by novelist and screenwriter Richard Price and based on the case of Edmund Perry. The video was directed by Martin Scorsese and Michael Jackson stars in it. Jackson portrays a boy named Daryl who has just completed a successful term at an expensive private school. He returns to the city by subway, arriving in a derelict neighborhood.

7. The Way You Make Me Feel

The music video for "The Way You Make Me Feel", directed by Joe Pytka, depicts Michael Jackson chasing a woman (Tatiana Thumbtzen) across the street. They return with friends across the street. She then begins to lead him on. Michael successfully woos her with his complicated dance techniques. The video ends with an embrace.

8.Smooth Criminal

Jeffrey Daniel of the soul music group Shalamar choreographed the "Smooth Criminal" video. It was directed by special effects coordinator Colin Chilvers. Currently there are four different versions of the video for "Smooth Criminal"

9.Black or White

The music video for "Black or White" was first broadcast on MTV, BET, VH1, and FOX (giving them their highest Nielsen Ratings ever)[12] on November 14, 1991. Along with Jackson, it featured Macaulay Culkin, Peggy Lipton, and George Wendt. It helped usher in morphing as a new technology in music videos, pioneered by Godley & Creme's "Cry" video in 1985 (the sequence begins with extra, Let Mon Lee, and features supermodel Tyra Banks). The video was directed by John Landis, who previously directed Thriller.

10.Remember the Time

As with some of his past songs, the music video for "Remember the Time" (directed by John Singleton) was an elaborate production and became one of his longest videos at over 9 minutes. Set in ancient Egypt, it featured groundbreaking visual effects and appearances by Eddie Murphy, Iman,The Pharcyde, Magic Johnson, and Tom "Tiny" Lister, Jr.. It is appeared as if Michael re-incarnates into himself from his past life. He is singing to Iman to ask her if she 'Remembers the time' as she is a figment of his past life. along with a distinct physically complicated dance routine that became the centre piece of many other videos from the Dangerous album and is one of only a few videos where he is seen embraced in a kiss.

11.In the Closet

The single's music video, directed by Herb Ritts, features Jackson performing sensual and physically complicated dance techniques with supermodel Naomi Campbell. The song's female vocal was originally labeled "Mystery Girl" but was later revealed to be Princess Stéphanie of Monaco.Campbell mimes the lyrics for the music video.

12. Jam

The music video for "Jam" takes place within an indoor basketball court, where Jackson teaches basketball legend Michael Jordan how to dance, and in return, Jordan teaches Jackson how to play basketball. Special effects have Jackson throwing a basketball from a window and scoring in the hoop at the opposite end, as well as Jackson scoring by tossing the ball behind him and kicking the ball into the hoop with his heel. The extended versions of the video include Jackson teaching Jordan how to do the physically complicated moonwalk dance technique.

13. Scream

The 4:46 minute music video for "Scream" was choreographed by Jackson, directed by Mark Romanek, with the production being designed by Tom Foden. Jackson did not create the "concept" for the video, which he had often done in the past, but left it to Romanek. Jackson later described the making of "Scream" as a collaborative effort. The song and its accompanying video are a response to the backlash Jackson received from the media in 1993.

14. You Are Not Alone

The music video begins with a large number of paparazzi taking photographs of Jackson. The plot then centers around two locations: a temple where Jackson appears in an affectionate semi-naked scene with his then wife Lisa Marie Presley and a theater where Jackson performs the song to an empty hall. Jackson also appears alone in other locations such as deserts and mountain tops. It is the first high profile video where Jackson's hair is cut relatively short. The slightly extended version that appeared on HIStory on Film, Volume II was notable for a scene where Jackson appeared as a guardian angel over his wife, special effects were used to give Jackson white feathery wings.

15. You Rock My World

Like many of Jackson's music videos, this one takes the form of a short film, based on a story written by Michael Jackson and Paul Hunter. It follows a story in which Michael Jackson and Chris Tucker spot an attractive woman (played by actress-choreographer Kishaya Dudley) and follow her into a gangster-infested nightclub (called The Waterfront Hotel, in reference to the famous film starring Marlon Brando, who plays the club's owner in this music video). Obviously, they are not wanted there, because it seems the woman already has a love interest (played by Michael Madsen). However, Jackson is determined to meet this woman.

Fanlist:

1. Ruby_Slippers
2. Jyoti x3
3. sashanaa
4. AlwaysCasey23
5. Lukacnd
6. Jackie85
7. BabyJ
8. Blinkybill
9. Jojo
10. LisaP
11. Black mamba
12. Blinkybill
13. az2008
14. Crystaline
15. jessica3311
16. True Daisy lover
17. Shipperaholic
18. breakingdawn_
19. BrathanSupporter
20. michelle1

Previous threads:
http://www.fanforum.com/f327/mj-s-mu...ould-62907853/

[ Sasha MJ
-I l o v e y o u m o r e. ]

Last edited by shamone; 03-06-2011 at 03:37 PM
Old 12-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for opening it! I love this OP I love looking at those caps hehehe

I love you more!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Elite Fan

It's been a while since I've seen the OP, I love it

[ Sasha MJ
Old 12-07-2009, 12:29 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah same here it was pleasant when I opened this thread on the first page again

I adore his smile on that Rock With You cap

I love you more!
Old 12-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Elite Fan

I know! He looks so sweet

[ Sasha MJ
Old 12-07-2009, 12:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

And happy there is nothing better than to see the pure happiness on his face

I love you more!

Last edited by shamone; 12-07-2009 at 01:31 PM
Old 12-07-2009, 12:50 AM
Elite Fan

Seriously. That video and DSTYGE were just pure happiness

[ Sasha MJ
Old 12-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think that's the one of the reasons I love those so much

I love you more!
Old 12-07-2009, 03:39 PM
Elite Fan

Yep Definitely the reason for me. usually I'd say that type of video dated , but he just looks so happy! It's hard not love both of them.

[ Sasha MJ
Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Master Fan

Ohhh, i don't remember seeing this thread before!!

Could i be added?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Fan Forum Hero

it's kind of abandoned for a while

I'm sure Sasha will add you next time she is on

I love you more!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:38 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm not on the list either! Please add me?
Old 12-13-2009, 09:46 AM
Fan Forum Hero

How come you are not there?

Oh well since she is gonna have to edit the OP, I guess I'll ask to update my username

I love you more!
Old 12-13-2009, 09:52 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I don't know! maybe cause it was at a point where I assumed I was already on it so I didn't check and now I see I never asked, apparently
Old 12-13-2009, 09:56 AM
Fan Forum Hero

When it comes to this board I guess we should say it on the introduction thread..Hey I'm ..... and and also could you go ahead and add me to all the threads? k thanks!

I love you more!