Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2022, 04:53 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Hopefully this weeks goes quick & you'll be in Israel relaxing in no time

I don't see a difference between rain in different seasons. I feel like we either have nice rain, flooding rain, or a build up of rain which leads to flooding. Doesn't matter what time of year, any of those are possible. Last few days was the too much rain all at once resulting in flash flooding sort - with some hail thrown in too yesterday.

There must be a bird nesting in the tree next to my place. I was sweeping in the morning to clear some of the fallen leaves & grass clippings from the path/patio space in front of my place & when I did a little bit of the path on the side a bird came swooping down & hit me in the head. Then this morning I was just in my patio space & a bird flew very close to me like it was doing a warning swoop but not actually trying to get me.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 09-25-2022, 01:07 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

I'm sure that the week will fly by I'm almost ready for travelling, just one more paper that's needed and I should be good...

Well, autumn rain is colder and more miserable feeling than spring or summer rain... Of course, over here flooding is not a real concern - all the dams are in placed, and managed properly...

Hopefully, you aee having more of the nice rain variety... but then again Aussie weather doesn't really understand when enough is enough in terms of weather patterns

It sounds like that there is a magpie nest close to you
Old 09-26-2022, 12:15 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Nice you're almost ready

I don't think we have that difference in rain here.
Here people built next to for the water without realising that building along them would be a recipe for disaster when it rains. Nothing has been put in place to prevent that. Generally the water comes too much all at once before the water has the chance to get anywhere so the rivers swell causing flooding. Then we get water build up on roads, around buildings, ect. just because of poor planning combined with too much rain in a short period of time. Whoever designed things like drains didn't do it in a way which is good for high amounts of rain. Fine most of the time, until the freak weather system comes through... I can't say people have learned either

Rain was mostly nice. Did flood some low lying bridges near the town my parents live in for a little bit as it was a lot at once but that cleared the next day or so I think.

It isn't a magpie, although there are some I've seen around here so wouldn't be surprised if they nested somewhere around here too. It is a Noisy Miner bird I believe. Not appreciated. I got up to I think 5 times it tried to get me over the weekend - two times successfully. Thankfully the second time it hit a hair clip I had in my hair not me. It obviously doesn't want me to clear the path around my property

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 09-26-2022, 12:40 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

Thanks for the bird pick, never heard of them, but it sounds like that they are making your life interestinf

Yeah, not having proper drainage systems, dams & water controlling makes for these scenarios... when I'm certain that if the rain/water overflow would be better managed than the dry season wouldn't get so bad on so many areas over there... But as you've said people don't learn...

I'm glad to hear that it wasn't too bad where you/your parents live...
Old 09-27-2022, 12:31 AM
Graphics Team Manager

I think they're Australian natives. Not sure if they're found in other countries? People generally blame magpies for swooping too. They're crazy & have no fear of humans. Had one swoop at my car this afternoon when I got home. Then one came swooping into my patio area, landed on one of my plants & had a lizard in its mouth. No idea if it found it in my plant or just was flying around with it. Then it went swooping out. Didn't swoop at me those times at least, just near me.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The country is large & we'd need to find a way to relocate the water to support the drier areas. I don't know if they'd be that clever. But my state government had a brilliant idea - they knocked down a bridge & replaced it with a lower bridge. There was nothing wrong with the original bridge but by replacing it with a lower one that floods more easily & cut a town off I think both last year & this year with the heavy rains. I've got a smart government which hopefully can get voted out in March next year

Meant to have more rain this week so hopefully it continues to be nicish rain

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 09-27-2022, 12:02 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

Aussie birds are fun ones or I guess they're just protective of their territory/family?

Well, that one woth the bridge sounds idiotic, but hopefully change will happen soon...

Monday & Tuesday done 48 pallets to 4 destinations shipped out

Only the messy/busy days are left & then me flying on Saturday morning...
Old 09-28-2022, 01:29 AM
Graphics Team Manager

No I think they're crazy

Idiotic is one word for it

Hope the rest of the week goes smoothly

Had hail (or as the children at work told me ice falling from the sky) today again. Storm rolled in from nowhere after lunch time. Then cleared up for the afternoon. Crazy weather

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 09-28-2022, 12:50 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

I like the children definition of ice - in Hungarian hail is actually called ice-rain

Crazy is a synonim for funny when it comes to your native birds At least to the ones who have the magpie kind of behavior...

Today actually turned out to be a good day - I ended up running the warehouse for the day, but since the office was quiet-ish it was fine... And I actually enjoyed explaining how things are done, and how each report should be completed... hopefully, tomorrow will be smooth as well.
Old 09-29-2022, 01:32 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Well guess they were speaking Hungarian then . Ice-rain is a good name for it

That sounds good then Hopefully tomorrow will be smooth too

I hope that Steph is ok with Hurricane Ian hitting Florida

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 09-29-2022, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

Ice-rain is a logical name

Hope that Steph is safe, I miss her from the board, but RL had to come first most likely...

I'm gonna be short tonight, I may post tomorrow night as well, but I will be offline until Oct 16th...
Old 09-29-2022, 01:08 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Enjoy your time away

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 09-29-2022, 01:10 PM
Master Fan

Moderator of ...
NCIS Franchise

Will do... take care as well, and "see you all" in 2-weeks time
Old 09-30-2022, 12:08 AM
Graphics Team Manager

wasn't sure if I'd be here to post tonight or not but not leaving until tomorrow morning now. Possibly a good thing as I otherwise would've been driving to my parents' place in the rain tonight. Just driving home from work (which is around the corner really) it wasn't fun as it was getting heavy & harder to see.
Meant to keep raining over the weekend. Wish I could park my car undercover in case we get hail again

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 10-03-2022, 03:47 PM
Moderator Support Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinebrighterxx (View Post)

wasn't sure if I'd be here to post tonight or not but not leaving until tomorrow morning now. Possibly a good thing as I otherwise would've been driving to my parents' place in the rain tonight. Just driving home from work (which is around the corner really) it wasn't fun as it was getting heavy & harder to see.
Meant to keep raining over the weekend. Wish I could park my car undercover in case we get hail again
hope you stay safe
S T A R D U S T
Old 10-03-2022, 11:30 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Not sure what I'm staying safe from but I'm safe

Chelle » join GTmy art
Closed Thread   Post New Thread