Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Elite Fan

Ive got one.. at Thanksgiving Ducky says he has enough food to feed Cox's Army..

COXEY'S ARMY - "The Panic of 1893 (1893-97) was the worst depression the U.S. had ever known up to that time, with widespread unemployment and industrial unrest. Several 'armies' of the unemployed marched to Washington to demand relief. Today the best known of these is Coxey's Army, 500 people who in 1894 marched from Ohio to the Capitol under quarry owner Jacob Coxey (1854-1951). He favored federally funded community public works and building programs as a solution to the panic. A large crowd gathered in Washington; but before Coxey could address it he was arrested for 'walking on the grass' (after the march Coxey ran for various public offices, including the presidency, but only became the mayor of Massillon, Ohio, 1931-33)."

JASAM
greengirlisgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow, never heard of that.
BoneLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Elite Fan

I love those kind of facts... Im on the lookout now

JASAM
Old 06-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Good, then we can update that list.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
Elite Fan

From Guilty Pleasures
Ducky says the victim was stabbed with a large knife like a kukri a knife used by Gurkha

The kukri (Devanāgarī: खुकुरी) (also sometimes spelled khukri or khukuri) is a curved knife which can be used as a tool as well as a close combat mêlée weapon. The cutting edge is inwardly curved in shape and is the icon of Nepal. It was and in many cases still is the basic and traditional utility knife of the Nepalese people. Very effective when used as a weapon, it is a symbolic weapon for all Gurkha regiments throughout the world and the Nepalese Army signifying the courage and valor of the bearer in the battlefield. It is a part of many traditional rituals among different ethnic groups of Nepal, including one where the groom has to wear it during the wedding ceremony. It is also a part of the regimental weaponry and heraldry of the Royal Gurkha Rifles. It is known to many people as simply the "Gurkha Blade" or "Gurkha Knife". It is also widely used in the Kumaon region of Uttarakhand state of India, where it is called Kaanta or Dafya (in Kumaoni).

In Obsession McGee and Abby are talking about The Year of the Spy
The American media referred to 1985 as the Year of the Spy because law enforcement arrested many foreign spies operating on American soil. Although 1985 had been referred to as the Year of the Spy, the preceding year 1984 actually had more arrests for espionage in the United States than did 1985.

The eight major agents who became infamous in 1985 for espionage against the United States were John Anthony Walker, Richard Kelly Smyth, Sharon W. Scranage, Larry Wu-Tai Chin, Jonathan Jay Pollard, Ronald William Pelton, Randy Miles Jeffries, and Edward Lee Howard.

JASAM

Last edited by greengirlisgood; 06-10-2010 at 09:11 PM
Old 06-10-2010, 09:08 PM
Addicted Fan

I'll add them tomorrow morning so I can keep the formatting the same. Is that information from somewhere?
We are going to be rocking through the night here Smokey!"
So join us at the NCIS board!
razzlephrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Elite Fan

Do we want specific facts or paraphrasing??

I can do it either way and if need be include references

JASAM
Old 06-11-2010, 07:42 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow. That's cool Thanks for postin gthose facts. I like learning that stuff.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Elite Fan

I do too.. now on a mission to find more.

JASAM
Old 06-12-2010, 03:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Thanks for the last info.
The part about that knife is cool.
Old 06-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Elite Fan

In THE IMMORTAL ..Ducky talks about why the British drive on the left side of the road.. I did not know this.. pretty cool

Up to the late 1700's, everybody travelled on the left side of the road because it's the sensible option for feudal, violent societies of mostly right-handed people.

Jousting knights with their lances under their right arm naturally passed on each other's right, and if you passed a stranger on the road you walked on the left to ensure that your protective sword arm was between yourself and him.

JASAM
Old 06-16-2010, 05:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I remember that explanation. It is pretty neat.
Old 06-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Elite Fan

I didnt know that and always wondered. I am learning so much.. Here is another one from Ducky again in Sharif Returns

CQD, transmitted in Morse code as — · — · — — · — — · · is one of the first distress signals adopted for radio use. It was announced on January 7, 1904, by "Circular 57" of the Marconi International Marine Communication Company, and became effective, for Marconi installations, beginning February 1, 1904.
Land telegraphs had traditionally used "CQ" to identify messages of interest to all stations along a telegraph line, and CQ had also been adopted as a "general call" for maritime radio use. However, in landline usage there was no general emergency signal, so the Marconi company added a "D" to CQ in order to create its distress call. Thus, "CQD" is understood by wireless operators to mean, "All stations: distress." Contrary to popular belief, CQD does not stand for "Come Quick, Danger", "Come Quickly Distress", or "Come Quick - Drowning!"; these are backronyms.
Although used worldwide by Marconi operators, CQD was never adopted as an international standard since it could be mistaken for a general call "CQ" if the reception was poor. At the second International Radiotelegraphic Convention, held in Berlin in 1906, Germany's Notzeichen distress signal of three-dots/three-dashes/three-dots (· · · — — — · · · ) was adopted as the international Morse code distress signal. (This distress signal soon became known as "SOS". Germany had first adopted this distress signal in regulations effective April 1, 1905.)
Between 1899 and 1908 there were 9 documented rescues made by the use of wireless. The first distress call was simply 'HELP'. By February 1904, the Marconi Wireless Company required all of its operators to use 'CQD' for a ship in distress, or requiring URGENT assistance. In the early morning of January 23, 1909, whilst sailing into New York from Liverpool, RMS Republic collided with the Italian liner SS Florida in fog off the island of Nantucket, Massachusetts, United States. Radio Operator Jack Binns sent the CQD distress signal by wireless transmission. His was the most famous use and rescue using wireless prior to the RMS Titanic.
In 1912 RMS Titanic radio operator Jack Phillips initially sent "CQD", still commonly used by British ships. Harold Bride, the junior radio operator, jokingly suggested the new code "SOS" be used, thinking it might be the only time he would get to use it; Phillips began to alternate.

JASAM

Last edited by greengirlisgood; 06-16-2010 at 09:19 PM
Old 06-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Wow.
Thanks for all the info, Lori.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's interesting about Morse code. Thanks for posting it.
Reply   Post New Thread