Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 01:43 PM
Part-Time Fan

When Howard was doing the AL Pacino impression he was using his whole body, was hilarious to watch

OH and ive seen the bedroom scene many times now and it still blows me away
bigbangrach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:57 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbangrach (View Post)
When Howard was doing the AL Pacino impression he was using his whole body, was hilarious to watch

OH and ive seen the bedroom scene many times now and it still blows me away
Simon was on one of the entertainment shows this morning and did a few more including Michael J Fox and William Baldwin, who he did just as facial expressions. They asked him if he does Jim Parsons and he said he"s still working on that one.

~Heidi
FoxPhile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Addicted Fan

Just through with watching it (thrice). I thought it was a top-notch episode, even apart from the Sheldon/Amy parts (of which I'll share more in the relevant thread). The whole episode had such a nice happy excited vibe to it, with an undertone of touching sensitivity. I loved the joy and enthusiasm with which the whole group played together, Howard's special effects and Sheldon's admiring reactions to them, and the whole Raj/Lucy story - I've had a soft corner for them throughout, though I did feel their potential wasn't really explored, and in this story I think we really got a glimpse of the kind of chemistry they may get to share. Raj seems to care for her in all the right ways for once, and that can only be good for his character.

Leonard made me laugh more than anyone else in this episode, for some reason. I cracked up every time he tried to do the sound effects, especially his broken 'whoo' after Howard and Bernadette did it, and the way Penny turned and looked at him.

The sudden shift towards seriousness in the later part of the episode was superbly done, I thought. It was so unexpectedly and oppressively awkward when Amy took offense at their comments and ran off, and their expressions when they all looked at each other uncomfortably.. you could have heard a pin drop. And then there was Sheldon and Amy with their few moments of emotional intensity that left me shaken and spellbound.. not the the first time, it strikes me how lucky they are to have actors as fine as this. The idea itself was remarkable, though - of having them take their first tentative steps into physicality through something as non-physical as a geeky make-believe role-playing game. It was so satisfying, and so them.

Quite a joyous and fulfilling episode, in more than one way.

Last edited by Pomita; 05-10-2013 at 03:54 PM
Pomita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The only thing I found lacking was Lenny, but I do like the last scene were they went to see if Shamy were okay. Guess Bernie and Howie went home
lancer1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Extreme Fan

I guess, I'm the only one who thought the episode was terrible.

The jokes were tired, lame, unorginal and not funny. The whole storyline was done before, there was an episode done before where the guys played D&D...

Granted the only fun joke was Penny's "magic potion"..so props for that<

The rest was just a mess. Sheldon/Amy talking sexual things was creepy, and weirded me out. The impressions were not fun or entertaining. Seriously, why are impressions supposed to be funny? "OH LOOK I CAN MAKE MY VOICE SOUND LIKE A CELEBRITY" sighhh

It was too serious, and preachy and not enjoyable to watch. I don't get how are episodes like this even made? I guess not every episode can be as good but this was trully an abortion. The writers must be running out of material, is the only way to explain this crap.
SpencerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:01 PM
Obsessed Fan

I would have liked this episode better if they had shown them playing D&D properly

I'm a girl and i've played D&D.

Misha's Minion
My LJ Kender's Twitter
The Kender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:23 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kender (View Post)
I would have liked this episode better if they had shown them playing D&D properly

I'm a girl and i've played D&D.
Legions Of Female Dungeon & Dragons Players Storm CBS Offices Over Big Bang Theory Joke

Quote:
LEGIONS OF FEMALE DUNGEON & DRAGONS PLAYERS STORM CBS OFFICES OVER BIG BANG THEORY JOKE

The (soon to be former) #1 network in America continued its war against female nerds and geeks with last night's episode of the Big Bang Theory’s joke about how girls don’t play D&D. For those of you who do not remember, know, or even care about previous attacks on the female populace; earlier this season there was an episode of the hit comedy that implied that girls don’t read comics, this, naturally, lead to a justified outrage from the blogosphere who used this as proof of America’s disrespect and hatred of all things female.

CBS just couldn’t leave well enough alone.

Here at The Outhouse (you know you love it) we strive to represent all voices as we report on the news of the day, and in that vein I contacted a known girl, my mother, for comment:

RU: Mom, what did you think about last night’s episode?

RUMom: It was deplorable, the idea that girls would never play D&D. What is this world coming to when a network comedy can just go about tossing generalizations around like that?

RU: You were a teacher for over 30 years, have you ever seen a girl play D&D?

RUMom: NO! D&D is for pimply-faced middle school boys who can’t even get the AV Club girls to talk to them!

RU: Been holding on to that for a while?

RUMom: Being retired is great. I don’t have to pretend that all the kids are special and wonderful. Bunch of dicks, the lot of them

(My mother, everyone)

Outhouse Editor-In-Chief Christian Hoffer, had this to say; “My primarily female D&D group disagrees, but whatevs.” This reporter would like to take the word of his pseudo-boss, but Mr. Hoffer somehow married way out of his league and is therefore disqualified from commenting on what normal girls like. Now that I mention it, I totally bat out of my league too; let’s ask WIFE what she thought

WIFE: You’ve got to be ****ing kidding me, this again? Yes girls play D&D and yes they read comics, you know what else; men ask for directions, men are nurses, and not all men have ESPN on 24/7, but you don’t see anyone pitching a fit over all that. Hell, **** me; there are actual problems in the world – the resurgence of rape culture, sex shaming, sexual assault by a hero on the cover of comic books, and math; why are we focusing on obvious and traditional jokes on a sitcom? Comedy is all about exaggeration; intelligent people know this and can laugh. In both episodes the men learned that women do like nerdy things, and the women grew to appreciate their boyfriend’s hobbies. But, instead of focusing on character growth and plot lets bitch and moan about a joke from a drunken Penny.

She’s in a mood today, good thing I’m at work.

Through the power of the internet and something called a "Google," Outhouse Webmaster, Jude Terror, has promised to scour the internet for news stories relating to women beign kicked out of gaming stores as a result of these careless, sexist, and irresponsible jokes. We will keep you updated as the story evolves.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Fan Forum Hero

OMG it was a joke, I don't think Chuck is losing sleep over it. If every one go upset over ever joke it would be a sad world.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:07 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
OMG it was a joke, I don't think Chuck is losing sleep over it. If every one go upset over ever joke it would be a sad world.
That article was an example of satire. It would've been more obvious if it was posted in The Onion. It was responding to all those who were offended with Penny's answer to Sheldon, that people are always fired up with the use of exaggeration for a joke when there are more pressing matters to focus on, like rape culture, hunger, marriage equality, etc.

The writer's wife was right.
Quote:
Why are we focusing on obvious and traditional jokes on a sitcom? Comedy is all about exaggeration; intelligent people know this and can laugh. In both episodes the men learned that women do like nerdy things, and the women grew to appreciate their boyfriend’s hobbies. But, instead of focusing on character growth and plot lets bitch and moan about a joke from a drunken Penny.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I know, I was just saying in general people get too worked up over fictional TV shows.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:26 AM
Extreme Fan

I'm a girl and I played D&D regularly for about 3 years back when I was in college.
As a matter of fact, our Dungeon Master was a girl and she's the one who got us all started playing. Our regular group was 4 girls and 2 guys and I knew another girl from school who played with her brother and his friends.

As Bill Prady said on his twitter account, what Penny believes to be true is only what she believes, not what other people believe.

I've commented before about the way they've played D&D on the show and how the dice thing isn't really right, BUT I recognize that the show is not a tutorial on how to play D&D, but simply using D&D as a platform for telling the real story of the episode.

Same thing is true each time they've used D&D on the show. If they were to try to play it for real, it wouldn't make for very good television, especially for a sitcom.

It was an EXCELLENT episode, and there was so much depth to the bedroom scene.

Jim Parsons read my poem on UK radio!
phantagrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:45 AM
Addicted Fan

The article is right. Objecting strongly to this is quite a bit of an over-reaction IMO. It wasn't even as if the show was preaching something about D&D and girls; it was Sheldon expressing initial resistance to including girls (because he's terribly resistant to any kind of change, the show has never implied that he's RIGHT every time), and then Penny cut him with a snarky joke (as usual).

And ultimately the episode was about how the guys and girls really got to enjoy playing D&D together, just like the Bakersfield episode showed how easy it was for girls to get into comic books, too. All's well that ends well.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantagrae (View Post)
As Bill Prady said on his twitter account, what Penny believes to be true is only what she believes, not what other people believe.
Yeah, he tweeted that because he knew people would be all "um, girls play D&D, idiots". Penny and her girl friends were not nerdy, so she makes comments like that. It's called characterization, not "everything every character says is either true or the opinion of the people who wrote it."

People who want to complain will always find something, though.

Quote:
Why are we focusing on obvious and traditional jokes on a sitcom? Comedy is all about exaggeration; intelligent people know this and can laugh. In both episodes the men learned that women do like nerdy things, and the women grew to appreciate their boyfriend’s hobbies. But, instead of focusing on character growth and plot lets bitch and moan about a joke from a drunken Penny.
I very much like this.

WeBuiltThePyramids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:38 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer1993 (View Post)
I know, I was just saying in general people get too worked up over fictional TV shows.
Sorry, I quoted yours because I agree, I did not mean I contradict yours.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBuiltThePyramids (View Post)
Yeah, he tweeted that because he knew people would be all "um, girls play D&D, idiots". Penny and her girl friends were not nerdy, so she makes comments like that. It's called characterization, not "everything every character says is either true or the opinion of the people who wrote it."

People who want to complain will always find something, though.

I very much like this.

You know, this business about the difference between what a character believes to be true and what the real truth is also applies to things that Sheldon says.

There were a bunch of people (I guess only at the other forum--I don't read many general threads over here) saying after the Cooper/Kripke Inversion that all of a sudden Kripke is smarter than Sheldon just because Sheldon kept saying it.

Characters will say and do what they will in any given moment and the truth lies in how it plays out and what others say to them--so Sheldon wasn't really dumber than Kripke (as Leonard pointed out) and girls really can and do enjoy comic books and D&D and other nerd pursuits.

Jim Parsons read my poem on UK radio!
phantagrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread