Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2020, 08:17 AM
Elite Fan

keepsmiling

How do you feel about the board shutting down?
Old 06-02-2020, 08:43 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM.........I would be very sad to see this board shut down, but I also realize all good things do eventually come to an end. Maybe that's just because we're near to the end of our life, and prepare to move on to the new, lower level. It was difficult for hubby to realize he will never drive again. I just continue cleaning out and know I won't be in this home after two more years. My main objective is do as much as possible myself and not leave everything up to the kids.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:24 PM
Master Fan

I would miss FF and this board, but I understand. I was a Mod briefly, and I didn't post for ONE DAY and got dinged for it and I quit modding. I think I modded and quit a couple of times, actually.

I think I haven't been posting as much as I haven't watched the Roswell NM episodes (they are piling up in the DVR) except for the first several this season and the underwhelming tiny amount Jason was on, so I felt like I didn't have much to contribute about that.

It's true Ekua is a KaDee fan! She only likes Jason because he's married to KaDee. And I can't believe it's been seven years, but then again, time flies when you're old.

Yes keepsmiling you have a lot to do, and do an amazing amount. We are similarly considering the downsizing, although not making much progress yet. Heck, I've been trying to finish shredding some back taxes for two years now! It's hard to let go of things you've done, as you age, or possibilities.

It's actually pretty amazing we've sustained a fan board for Jason for ~20+ years when he's so private and never been that keen on having fans! Only recently gone online and dealt with his public a bit, to promote his role on Roswell. And not worked for so many years up until this show, too!

My daughter gets on okay with John's family, I think. Her biggest complaint about them is they don't plan things ahead, and she has to plan her work schedule for the month in advance, so they are always suddenly doing fun things and she can't go, because she has to work. Yes, it's amazing the Dad can do that for his kids - not many can! Although it worries me, too, the odd way the whole house deal is being set up, and the big rush involved. I can see his (bossy oldest) sister in Indiana deciding she wants to move back East in the future and kicking them out of their house, because she wants to move in there instead. Who knows?

Our new window AC showed up, to replace the moldy one. We installed it without too much bickering; was admiring the finished install and now I think we put the accordion side things on the wrong sides (they weren't labeled left and right, unless it was in Chinese, and the illustrations were pretty vague). OH well, I'm not taking it out and re-doing it now - going to be hot by the end of the week!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-03-2020, 05:11 AM
Total Fan

ML......glad you got the new A/c installed. Time is here to use it. And how are the cucumbers surviving? Have the rabbits discovered a way to get under the wire cage?
You hit the nail on the head ML........when you are getting older it is harder to let go of things. Hubby is really having a difficult time with that, and he wants the kids to take every thing. I finally told several of them, just take what he offers, then you can turn right around and donate it to Goodwill or whatever. He'd never knoiw.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:38 AM
Elite Fan

Hi girls

keepsmiling What you are doing is so needed ….getting things in order ( but I guess knowing you as I do even from this amount of knowledge you are already organized ( unlike me and podad ) but have to purge...a true blessing for your children and grandchildren. You have always been an inspiration to me

ML I can totally understand your concern about the house situation. If the house was put in Johns name ( and of course preferably Mlettes too) not the fathers it would be so much better. Maybe it will be. If they got to live there for free it would be way worth it then they could save up and buy their own house. Of course us parents have to be very careful, to say the least, about giving advice. Even when asked. Sometimes you have to as a responsible parent and give it but those times become less frequent and harder over the years.

So my take on your guys feeling about this board is you might( probably) would keep posting at the level you do now but probably not more. Do I have that right?

I am only asking ( and feel kind of uncomfortable so I hope you guys don't think I'm being nosy or pushy) to get a feel for things. I am really hoping Ekua feels up to continuing and I am willing to post even more consistently then I do but I don't want to be the only one on the whole board that really wants to continue here. I can't really tell from your responses. It sounds like you would be sad to see the board go down but might be ready for that. That between being busy and less interested you might be ready to fade here. ML I know you post pretty frequently on FB and that is a wider place to connect to people. Plus we can post pictures there which is so fun

For me this is a fun distraction from RL and I find it very interesting to be connected to the special people here from around the globe. Plus I would really miss you girls! We can talk about more personal things here since so few people see us. Sometimes it takes an effort to post and can feel a bit like another responsibility but for me it is worth that small effort. BUT I don't want to have the sweet people that post here doing it out of an obligation and I don't want to commit to MODing ,if I have to, if people aren't going to be up for it here. I know for sure JJ is very excited to be here but I'm not sure about the rest of the board who have been here for much longer.

I was surprised too that Ekua has been doing this for 7 years bless her

Anyway that was long, sorry.

I have a really busy few days starting today ( I will be doing the 3 kids here in OC by myself for a few days but I will check back.

PS I saw a rainbow over the marsh this morning

Old 06-04-2020, 05:58 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM......your assumption was correct, I will probably keep posting at the same rate I am now. I thought it was helping to post something at least once a day, especially during holiday times. I didn't realize the mod had to post every day, on every thread. That is a burden that not anyone has the time and energy to maintain. We need to be eternally grateful to EKUA for her 7 years of keeping this going. I do appreciate your offer PODMOM, to keep this going if necessary.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:08 PM
Master Fan

I try to remember to come by here and post, but sometimes I get involved in other stuff and forget! And time goes by so fast now - I signed up to do Lumosity brain fitness 3 days a week, and it seems like I get the reminder every single day.

It's true, we can talk about stuff here I'd NEVER talk about on Facebook - too many strangers listening in! And I do love the international group.

I had Mr ML un-install the AC so we could take off the side panels and reverse them, and re-install it again. He was very patient! I had no idea I was so OCD, but once I noticed it was wrong, it was bugging the heck out of me for DAYS! Plus now it fits much better (right way around).

Mr ML then put in our bigger AC on the other side of the house/dining room, so we are as cool as we're going to be this summer (not very). I have a fan in the TV room, and just brought down the little fan to put by the bed and blow on me.

That's very wise to just tell the kids to take stuff, and then do what they want with it. It makes me sad that kids don't want stuff like fancy china etc anymore. I love my dishes so much, but the kids have their own taste and don't necessarily want our old stuff. And that's okay! When my parents moved to FL my mother begged me to take all her stuff, but I had a house full of my own stuff at that point.

My new neighbors had the landscapers there early this morning (outside our bedroom window). The men worked all day and I looked and they had just leveled it and laid down crushed white stone, so I assume they will be back tomorrow and put down pavers all over the tiny triangular back yard. I was expecting lush plantings! Guess not. They haven't done the two squares of dirt in the front of the house yet (had masons build fancy foot-high stone walls around those last year).

My cucumbers are hanging in there, thanks for asking! Leaves are getting bigger and bigger and they look pretty happy. So far, so good. In about 50-70 days, I should be harvesting cucumbers, something like that.

I'm not sure Mlette and BF would even be living 'rent free' - well rent free, but paying taxes and utilities and all the bills on this house (they don't own). It worries me. They are having trouble even finding a decent place (although they are also picky, plus the Dad is picky and opinionated). Street too busy, driveway too tricky, etc. But maybe it will be a savings for them, enough that they can save up money. If there's one thing my daughter is good at doing, is socking those pennies away. I always tease her, that she's like Jack Benny, when she opens her wallet, the moths come flying out.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-05-2020, 12:56 PM
Total Fan

ML..........I agree when you said you had a house full of stuff when your mother wanted you to take hers. That is true with most of us. But I am finding grandchildren a good place to unload......since most of ours have graduated college and only 2 of the 12 have married. Last month one granddaughter was visiting and "shopped" our house. She had been in a small apartment, but is moving to a larger place. She wanted a set of my pottery that was 63 years old. I still had all of the matching serving pieces that she thought were so much fun. Our children have actually mentioned a few items they want. My daughter will take her grandmothers china and crystal that I have been using. Every little bit helps clean out the place.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:23 PM
Elite Fan

Posting from my phone in Ocean City. So I’m glad you guys want to still hang around and post like you’ve been. I found out that a mod does not need to post on every thread every day. They just have to post at least once a day. Ekua seems like she might keep doing it. I hope so. She’s done a great job!

Keepsmiling you are so fortunate to have so many grandchildren and that they are older and you can have such a nice relationship with them! I’m glad the one took your pottery and that you’re able to unload some stuff on them. Yes every little bit does help!

ML I know the days are rushing by. I have trouble making myself stop buying post to. But then there are the wonderful times that I’m free and it’s fun to come here and just hang out and talk to you guys and the other girls and look around for pictures and just full around.
Sounds like you and hubby have been very busy. I really hope this house situation works out for your daughter and John. Time will tail. But it does seem like a good problem to have.

Edited to tell you Big excitement here two days ago. When Liz and the kids and I were at the beach we saw a humpback whale eating and jumping and splashing and snorting out of its blowhole everyone on the beach was massively excited! It hung around for a good 45 minutes or so. We walked up and down the beach where it was feeding. I’ve been here my whole life been at the beach for 66 years and this is the first time I’ve seen a whale. The kids especially Anna Lee were beyond excited. Then the next day ,yesterday ,when we went to the beach there was a huge part of dolphins! More than I’ve ever seen. One jumped all the way out of the water and then to wrote a wave in together. Felt like we were at sea world! There’s a Fish called bunker here that are running now and we just happen to be at the beach at the right moment those two days. Feeling so grateful for that!
Old 06-05-2020, 07:25 PM
Master Fan

That is SO amazing PodMom you saw a whale and then a bunch of dolphins, leaping and everything. That really is a once in a lifetime experience. I'm so glad the grandkids saw them too. You really feel blessed to see nature things like that, happening right in front of you!

Phew, it's hot. New mystery neighbor who came and assembled a grill and then disappeared for a week, and then they were back and then disappeared - tonight they were grilling on the new grill - they have one of those chimney-shaped cans to get the coals hot - it was putting out so many flying sparks, and the idiot guy was in the house, not even anybody out there keeping an eye on it. Their yard is all covered with dried leaves and junk off the big tree too - I expected the place to go up in flames any minute... They came out with beers to watch it later, so I relaxed my vigil. Anyway, I shut my kitchen and back hall windows, that overlook the (stupid) grill. I'd really love to live someplace where the neighbors weren't right on top of us/so close! And it's so hot.

Keepsmiling you are so lucky to have so many grandkids who might need things! It's nice to pass things along/keep things in the family.

Woohoo, great news that Ekua might keep the job. I'm sure it gets very tedious.

Ugh the utility company was out on the street today, spraying various marks on the street, marking gas lines, water lines, etc. Pretty sure they will be digging up our street in the near future! Hope we'll be able to get in and our of our driveway, should we need/want to go somewhere. Wish they'd started it sooner in the pandemic, when nobody was leaving the house or driving anywhere! Oh well. New gas lines would be nice (as long as they don't blow up the neighborhood putting them in - worry)

Nothing new on the house front for MLette. I saw an amazing house from 1790, right in a really nice town, overlooking the lake that's in the center of town, and a park. But that's a really OLD house It's probably 100 years older than our house (faint).

Had a family Zoom meeting Mr ML's youngest sister organized - it was nice to see their brother in California - we don't see or hear much from him. A niece and nephew (and his fiance) came too. And my nephew with the two rambunctious little boys, who were beyond bored with their dad and grandparents Zooming. They want to do it again next week. I enjoyed it, but it sort of gave me a headache.

And then we went to Friday night services on Zoom after that - it was really nice! But a lot of Zoom-ing for one day.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-06-2020, 03:45 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for being excited for me MLabout the whale etc. I'm still astounded we saw it Yes that is a lot of zooming for one day it is a good thing to have for sure but I think we all are getting sick of this "new reality" at least I really am. I have to admit that I am somewhat depressed by the whole thing. How it is impacting me seeing Margot. Just seeing people with masks is troubling, the hastle of doing instacart.not being able to do this med I should do etc. I am keenly aware that we are SO fortunate in our circumstances etc but sometimes it just gets to me.

podad down now....Liz leaving us with the kids till Monday ( accept Anna Lee.she is leaving because AL has one of those drive by graduation things she feels they have to do. NExt year AL goes to middle school...hopefully.....Liz found out all the probable restrictions to kids in a room...rolling attendance...still days online learning...she is so xtressed from all this home schooling ) EMily and MArgot coming Monday.....I can't go home and meet her so I can be in the car helping with MArgot because I have to be here with the other kids while LIz gone. It is a 4 hour drive in the car

oops GRace up
Old 06-06-2020, 07:39 AM
Total Fan

PODMOM.....you really have your hands full with all of the grandkids. But I know you enjoy every minute of it.

ML......how are the cucumbers growing?
Old 06-07-2020, 07:19 PM
Master Fan

PodMom you have your hands full with the grandkids! Life has become so complicated now, everywhere you go, they're going to check your temperature. I heard my eye doctor is opening for appointments again but all the precautions you need to take make me not even want to go there. Mr ML would have to wait in the car. They'd text you when it was okay to come in. Mr ML says he isn't in any hurry to go eat out either.

The temperature dropped 20 degrees today! It was sweltering yesterday and freezing today! I was out on the top porch, getting some (chilly) air and I looked down and there was the rabbit. He/She was eating grass etc. aw, cute. Then hopped over and started eating my rose bush! I couldn't believe my eyes. Ate off the bottom leaves and the new growth. Mr ML looked later and he/she was eating our hosta plants, the big flat leaves. He thinks it's a pregnant lady rabbit, she's so voracious!

But thank goodness, the cukes are getting bigger every day and maybe too difficult to get at (or leaves too prickly?) for the rabbit to bother with. The bunnies have been leaving my flowers alone more, now that the grass has grown in so lushly. Tasty tasty grass.

We are venturing out for groceries tomorrow. I hope we won't find the street dug up when we get back!
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-09-2020, 09:34 AM
Master Fan

Yay me! Just put away all my winter turtleneck shirts and brought out my summer shirts, and put away my winter pajamas and brought out the summer pajamas. It's too bad Goodwill isn't open again yet, or I could have weeded out more than half of them. Oh well - I'll sort them in the fall! I have WAY too many clothes; probably don't wear half of them.

I still have to lug the sweaters and heavy pants upstairs to the other closet and bring down the rest of the summer stuff. But first I have to stop sweating...

Also got the rebate for the new furnace and thermostat plus car insurance gave us a little rebate for all our not-driving during the lockdown.
Jason B is #1 with me
Fang-fan
Old 06-09-2020, 06:59 PM
Total Fan

ML......I am missing Goodwill not accepting too.........have had so much time to clean out, and now no where to take it. When I clean out, I want to get rid of it that day! I also agree, I have way too many clothes. Especially with the lock down, I have no where to go except the grocery store. I am happy that my gym is open again, with limited numbers. The classes are getting more each day as time goes on and the news spreads.

PODMOM.....hope all of your family is well and doing fine. I'm going to a small family reunion this weekend. Haven't seen my youngest son since his 50th birthday in January. All of the grandkids are coming in from far and wide. Can't wait.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread