Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2023, 04:54 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Glen Kryger [Painkiller] Thread #3 Because We're Excited For His Critics Choice Nomination

Welcome to 'Painkiller' Thread #3

Taylor Kitsch - Glen Kryger
Matthew Broderick- Richard Sackler
Uzo Aduba - Edie
John Rothman - Mortimer Sackler
West Duchovny- Shannon
Carolina Bartczak - Lily Kryger
Jack Mulhern- Tyler Kryger
Dina Shihabi - Britt

worthyoflove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2023, 04:56 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

From the previous thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
So in honor of Taylor's nomination, I finally finished this. I had watched Taylor's scenes previously but I had a really hard time with watching it. I have a family member that doesn't suffer from drug addiction but does have some mental health issues and the similarities in how he and Taylor would act in certain situations or just their mannerisms were too similar. It was hard to watch for me.

All in all, the series was okay. I appreciated the background but the editing was weird in spots. Take Taylor's detox scene being intermixed with Shannon (I think that's her name) first time getting high...I feel like it took away from what should have been a more harrowing moment for Taylor's character. There were some interesting directorial choices that I probably wouldn't have made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4books (View Post)
Pete’s style is a little all over the place at times and confusing. Glenn was a solid character, great storyline with Taylor doing an incredible showing how addiction takes over one’s life and family. I could have done with less of the drug reps and sleazy doctors helping the Sackler’s push the drug out in the communities. The Sackler’s are just despicable and Pete sort of portrayed them as comical at times which considering how much damage they’ve done to the country that was an interesting choice.

Taylor has some very stiff competition if he’s going to win this. I’m not counting him out but I like that he’s getting the recognition he deserves for his performance.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 12-10-2023 at 02:57 PM
Old 12-09-2023, 05:02 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbm_hollywood (View Post)
Also really hope that he gets to go and talk about the show. The timing of the strike and release of Painkiller was so unlucky. Really wish he had been able to promote it and his telling of the story. A nomination is fantastic but a win will be even better. Do he care about this sort of stuff? Does anyone know?
Do I think he cares about winning the actual award? I'm sure there is part of him that does. He's competitive. But, I think he's probably happier just about the recognition the nomination may bring to the project and that it's a project he really cares about.

I don't know how much of a shot he'll have in this category, unless there's some serious vote splitting, you never know. That's what happened when Kyle Chandler won his Emmy. Not that he didn't absolutely deserve the win, but that was supposed to be Jon Hamm's award to lose because it was his final nomination for Mad Men with the series ending. There were a lot of very equally balanced actors/performances that votes were just split so many different ways.

Also, I was wrong about the Golden Globes. The Critics Choice Awards is often a good indicator for other awards but the Golden Globes don't have a best supporting category for a limited series, so unless Netflix submitted him as lead actor or he can somehow manage to find his way into the supporting actor category in TV overall, then he's not getting a nomination. I still curse Paramount for not pushing harder for a nomination for him for Waco.

Last edited by worthyoflove; 12-09-2023 at 05:50 PM
Old 12-10-2023, 04:50 AM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthyoflove (View Post)
Do I think he cares about winning the actual award? I'm sure there is part of him that does. He's competitive. But, I think he's probably happier just about the recognition the nomination may bring to the project and that it's a project he really cares about.

I don't know how much of a shot he'll have in this category, unless there's some serious vote splitting, you never know. That's what happened when Kyle Chandler won his Emmy. Not that he didn't absolutely deserve the win, but that was supposed to be Jon Hamm's award to lose because it was his final nomination for Mad Men with the series ending. There were a lot of very equally balanced actors/performances that votes were just split so many different ways.

Also, I was wrong about the Golden Globes. The Critics Choice Awards is often a good indicator for other awards but the Golden Globes don't have a best supporting category for a limited series, so unless Netflix submitted him as lead actor or he can somehow manage to find his way into the supporting actor category in TV overall, then he's not getting a nomination. I still curse Paramount for not pushing harder for a nomination for him for Waco.
Thank you for this. I was wondering about the balance between competitiveness and caring about what other people think. So long as he feels he did enough and we don’t know that as there has been radio silence from him. Interesting about vote splitting- plus when you have an Oscar winner in the running I imagine most votes go that way anyway.
Tbm_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 11:35 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

I think that there are probably different reactions to being nominated. I'm sure he was disappointed when he didn't get the Waco nomination because he was universally praised, critically speaking, and he was actively doing industry events to push for the nomination. He was also predicted to be nominated, but the Emmys have a history of being loyal to previous Emmy award winners. Hate it, but true.

I'm not sure that he expected the Painkiller nomination just because the show wasn't really critically received well. His performance was but the show overall just had kind of 'meh' reviews. There also wasn't a ton of buzz, it came and went pretty quick on Netflix.

But also, I think it being a Critics Choice nomination might hold a little bit of weight. I'm sure he has a love hate relationship with critics, a lot of them single handedly kind of handed him his ass in 2012, though I'll die on the hill that it wasn't him and it was the material/marketing choices.

As far as voting goes. You'll always get some voters who don't actually watch the performances and just vote on who they like or the buzz they heard. But hopefully his performance stands out if they're actually watching his submission.
Old 12-10-2023, 02:40 PM
Master Fan

I don't care if he wins but damn, I am so proud of him for being nominated. I actually teared up when I saw that he was nominated. Between this and the critical success of his Waco performance, he is finally getting the recognition that he deserves.
Old 12-11-2023, 01:54 AM
Part-Time Fan

A - you give such insightful and helpful responses, thank you. I totally agree about the 2012 JC mess. It felt like the ‘tall poppy syndrome’ before the poppy actually got too tall. Regardless of it being Taylor, tearing people down like that it just not ok.

Live it hope that he will finally get industry recognition that he has earned.
Tbm_hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 06:16 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

There was a few minutes this morning I thought Taylor was nominated for a Golden Globe...a few news outlets got it wrong and somehow had him nominated in a category that doesn't exist or at least was eliminated this year. He was listed with the exact same nominees that he's up against in the Critics Choice Awards. He was never listed by the actual Golden Globes site, the category he was listed in by some outlets doesn't exist.

Variety even posted it and then had to retract it. Some outlets still have it and Taylor listed. So strange.

Quote:
"CORRECTION: A previous version of this story included false nominees for the supporting actor in a limited series or television film categories. The Golden Globes removed those categories from the 2024 ceremony and thus did not announce nominations for them. Variety regrets the error."
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/g...24-1235831576/
Old 12-11-2023, 10:18 PM
Passionate Fan

That is very strange, I wonder what caused all the confusion? System glitch?
Crazy4books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 06:27 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

Some intern thought there was a category and went searching for nominees that didn't exist and poached them from the Critics Choice Awards? Honestly, I have no idea.

The Independent in the UK reported it but it was then picked up by multiple other outlets and he's still listed as a nominee on Yahoo, TVInsider, MSN, etc.

It's just Taylor's luck that the category that he would for sure land a nomination was done away with this year. The category existed last year so someone probably had a list of awards they were expecting and thought they missed the category and went searching for nominees.
Old 12-12-2023, 10:19 PM
Passionate Fan

I hate using the word jinxed to describe his career but then something like this happens and you think of course it did. I wonder if he was even aware and cared? Sucks that it happened and to him.
Old 12-13-2023, 07:49 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It's something he's been battling for years, it does feel like a bit of a jinx.

I think he probably knew that the category had been eliminated. I'm sure after the Critics Choice nomination there's a question of what else he might be up for. The next award he'll probably be in line for is the Emmy but that's not until August or September and I don't know what might be eligible in the meantime that might push him out of contention.
Old 12-17-2023, 12:29 PM
Master Fan

That's really bizarre about the Golden Globe mishap.
Old 12-17-2023, 05:57 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Taylor Kitsch

It's just his luck...

I do hope that he goes, the awards show is less than a month away. He hasn't even acknowledged the award and I know he's on IG. He commented on Neil's post not long ago.
Old 12-17-2023, 09:22 PM
Passionate Fan

He has been unusually quiet on SM. Maybe he will say something as it gets closer. It would be really nice if he showed his face for this.
Reply   Post New Thread