Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 03-24-2009, 02:01 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMYfan23 (View Post)
NAH!!! I believe it's about Ricky..
I hope so!!
Old 03-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Master Fan

We'll have to keep an eye out for M magazine
Old 03-24-2009, 03:01 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusta (View Post)
We'll have to keep an eye out for M magazine
Old 03-24-2009, 11:22 PM
Master Fan

And the stalking continues....
Old 03-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Elite Fan

Definately..
Old 03-24-2009, 11:46 PM
Master Fan

I went to check out Kenny's Twitter only to find it's been deleted How sad! Daren's is still up though.

I was also surfing the net and found this old article... it's about the second half of this past season but it's still cool to read

Quote:
I had the opportunity to interview Shailene Woodley, the star of “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” on ABC Family. The second season premiered January 5th. Shailene plays Amy Juergens, a 15-year-old pregnant high school student. But what about the real person behind the character?

Sarah Eve: “How have your real life high school experiences compared with the show?”

Shailene Woodley: “Well, let’s see. Let me go back to freshman year. As a freshman, me and my friends — every teenager on the show is talking about sex and talking about picking their friends and all of that, picking their boyfriends, being the next level or whatever — as a freshman, me and my friends definitely talked about that. We talked about more mature things than we did like in middle school.

“Actually, my parents got divorced when I was a freshman. So, I can definitely relate to Amy as far as what she’s going through and how hard that is to balance. The first year in high school is just totally different than middle school and your first boyfriend while having your parents divorce and your family life kind of crumble. So, I can definitely relate to a lot of things on the show and there is always the Christian girl at our school who preached God… and who preached happiness and purity and everything. Then there is always the girl who is kind of thought of as the provocative one, who people were usually intimidated by, but really didn’t know that she was a nice, smart girl. I think it is right on cue with all sort of storylines as far as how they relate to normal high schools.”

Sarah Eve: “You have a lot of crying scenes. I was wondering: how do you physically manage all of that?”

Shailene Woodley: “Honestly, I don’t know. It comes. I guess it’s in the writing. If you feel the words and you feel the emotion that’s evoked in the script as far as if you put yourself in the place that Amy’s going through, it’s really simple. I feel like to just cry. Then again, I don’t know how I do cry. It just kind of comes… crying so much or if it just comes naturally. But, Molly definitely helps. You just look into her eyes and like we’re both in tears.”

Sarah Eve: “Wow; isn’t that exhausting?”

Shailene Woodley: “I think it’s fun. Those are the fun scenes for me because you go through real emotions.”

Sarah Eve: “If you had to pick a character on the show that you’re most like, who would it be?”

Shailene Woodley: “I guess a little bit of every character. I’m definitely not… like a provocative person, but I’m definitely not Amy who is quiet and introverted, and I’m not Grace who goes around preaching the gospel and everything. So, I’m a little bit of everyone, I feel like, kind of combined together.”

Sarah Eve: “Do you have any input on the clothes that you wear on the show?”

Shailene Woodley: “Yes. Wardrobe — we get along great. They’re awesome. It’s a trio of them and they’re so funny and so awesome. We were talking; I told Sherry — she’s like, ‘What’s your style personally?’ I was like, ‘I like a lot of different things.’ She was like, ‘Oh, that’s perfect. I happen to have a lot of vintage clothes in the closet.’ So, we talk about what’s right for the character. So, she kind of takes it in moderation, puts a little bit of my flair in there and a little bit of her flair and a little bit of Amy’s flair. It’s fun. We always have a great time.”

Sarah Eve: “Well, it definitely works. Thank you so much for talking with me.”

I found Shailene to be the sweetest, most down to earth girl. When asked by another reporter if her life has changed now that she’s famous, she responded:

“I go back on hiatus in February. I’m going to go back to my high school and graduate. It’s definitely different. When you go to a grocery store and you go anywhere there are people staring or pointing or whispering, and every now and then you have a brave girl come up and be like, ‘Are you the girl from Secret Life?’ It’s neat to have that happen, but it’s also a little bit awkward because I feel like I should have a conversation with them, like, ‘Hello, I’m Shai. What’s your name?’ versus just being like, ‘Oh, yes. Here’s my autograph. Bye.’ I feel like I need to make it more personal. It happens.

“As far as just my friends and where I can go, I still go all the places that I normally went. I might have to wear a hat or something, but other than that it’s no different because my friends, they treat me the same. They known I’m goofy, spontaneous, weird Shai and they accept me for that.”

Shailene also had plenty of exciting insights about the new season:

Season two, we’ve already established our characters and we already kind of know who we are, so season two is more focusing on the context versus the characters because we’ve already gotten a sense of how Amy would react or how Grace would react. It’s more establishing the storyline, I feel like, versus establishing the character.

“So, it does skip a little bit of time between the first season and the second season. There’s definitely a wedding that’s being talked about between Amy and Ben. There are lots of different things happening with all of the families. Of course, Amy’s parents are still going through a rocky time and they’re trying to figure out if the dad is going to stay or move out or what’s going on with that. Amy is trying to decide if she needs to get a job or if she shouldn’t get a job to pay for insurance and stuff for the baby. She’s going to find out if it’s a boy or a girl. She’s going to find out if she’s going to give it up to adoption or if she’s going to keep the baby. There’s a gay couple involved who might adopt the baby, but might not depending on what Amy feels is right for the baby at the time.

“There are lots of different things. Apart from my character, Grace’s character is debating on whether she really likes Jack or really likes Ricky or if she really likes being single. Ben is going through still again the first love and how he should handle that and how much he should be in control of her life or not. So, there are tons of different things that are going to happen, lots of new drama.”

The question was asked whether or not “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” glorifies teen pregnancy.

Shailene responded: “I don’t feel like this show glorifies pregnancy, because if you see my character she’s obviously not jumping up and down, she’s in the bathroom crying 24/7. Definitely there is an emotional spin on everything. Her best friend… they kind of grow apart because her best friend’s mom won’t let her come over and she has a boyfriend and she has the dad of the baby she can’t stand, and she has a mom that she’s dealing with and her dad that’s she’s dealing with, so I don’t feel like it glorifies it at all. If anything, I think it makes it seem like a very hard and difficult situation to go through, especially as a teenager.

“In season two, for instance, you’ll see the other aspect of having a baby, like if she should get a job or not. The baby is actually going to cost money and she’s actually going to have to take care of it herself. So, I don’t feel like it glorifies it. I feel like it handles it in a very mature and real life way as far as if a teenager got pregnant and how she would react.

“I feel like everything that the show goes through and everything that it explores happens in everyday life, in normal teenagers’ lives: divorce, the whole Christian family, the girl is debating whether she has to follow her faith or not, boyfriends and cheating, and everything that the show goes through happens. So, I would definitely tell someone if you’re a teenager and you’re lost or you want comedic release or you need help with something or you’re going through something and you feel alone, check out our show because I feel like it definitely defines each situation and gives it a solution. Whether or not it’s the solution that the viewer might choose for themselves in their own lives, who knows, but it’s one aspect of how to solve a problem emotionally and keep up the faith.”

Thanks Shailene for the interview for TotallyHer.com.

I know I will be watching the second season! I found the first season to be one of the few teenage dramas that actually addresses teenager issues with facts and natural consequences. While the story lines may seem over the top at first, the more you watch the more you realize that you know someone just like every one of these characters. Furthermore, as parents of teenagers, it’s important to not be oblivious to the real struggles that teenagers face. This show provides insights and an avenue for parents and teenagers to discuss these issues. Overall, I recommend watching “The Secret Life of the American Teenager”. So get your popcorn ready, because Season 2 premiered Monday January 5th and will continue in the Monday 8pm time slot.
An oldish (January 09) interview from Seventeen Magazine:

Quote:
Seventeen got to sit down with Shailene Woodley who stars in The Secret Life of An American Teenager. She talked about everything from what it's like to play a pregnant teenager to what it's like being recognized on the street!

17: Do people recognize you?

Shailene: Yeah, and I don’t know how to respond when they come up and they’re like “Oh, hey, can I have your autograph?” I’m like “uhh...sure” because I know if I asked someone that I admired and they said no I’d be mad, but it’s awkward for me.

17: What’s it like to play a pregnant girl?

Shailene: It was bizarre but it was exciting to take on the role. I saw Ellen Page in Juno and I loved the movie before I even got the show. It’s so cool that she got to express like “if I got pregnant this is how I would act.” And then the opportunity for me came up and I was like “if I was pregnant, how would I respond?” [My character] Amy’s much more introverted and shy compared to me as a person. But it was interesting, and I thought it would increase my range as an actor. I thought it would be fun to be a character I don’t get to be very often.

17: What’s going to happen this season?

Shailene: Well there’s thought about marriage, a wedding between her and Ben. And she has the baby, and tries to figure out what she’s going to do with it.

17: Are you getting feedback from pregnant girls at all?

Shailene: I haven’t personally heard anything, but my manager gets some stuff sometimes and he’ll tell me about girls who have said that it’s helped them a lot, or it was completely different from how they responded to having a baby. Or like, on ABC Family's web site there are a lot of girls that go on there and say they’ve been pregnant, and how the show’s helped them.

17: Switching gears, we have a section in the magazine called The Seventeen Body Peace Treaty.

Shailene: Wait, is this where you say 'I vow to..” I have the funniest story about this.

17: Oh, tell!

Shailene: My best friend has this on her wall - it's on her corkboard and she was like, “Shaiiene, we have to do this because we’re always like 'I don’t like my arms' and everything." She’s going through a really hard time right now and she’s like, "I’m sick of not liking myself. I just want to love myself.” That’s awesome because we both are into it!

17: That’s cool! Is there something that you would want to add specifically for you?

Shailenne: Yeah! I’ve always been like super skinny and not tall. I grew now but I was like super-short growing up. I was always the runt and now I’m like towering over everyone. But my family - we all just have like fast metabolisms, so we’re all lanky. I’m always like “I’m too skinny, I can’t gain weight, even when I try." I'd like to try to not let that get to me.

Catch Shailene on the new season of The Secret Life of an American Teenager, which airs on ABC Family Monday nights.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:55 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for that, Ashley. I just read that first article tonight actually..lol

On Kenny's twitter, he changed the URL..
It is now.. Ken Baumann (kenbaumann) on Twitter
Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Thanks for that, Ashley. I just read that first article tonight actually..lol

On Kenny's twitter, he changed the URL..
It is now.. Ken Baumann (kenbaumann) on Twitter
Ah, there he is. Trickster! Thanks for that!
Old 03-25-2009, 08:29 AM
Passionate Fan

Hey I found this on Just Jared:

Quote:
Shailene Woodley watched the season finale of her ABC Family series, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, last night and dished to J-14 all about it. Check out what the 17-year-old actress had to say:

On costar Daren Kagasoff’s performance in the episode: “I heard some reactions about how much they liked the emotion that Daren showed. I thought it was in his character, but it was cool to see him finally show it!”

On what she thought of yesterday’s episode: “I hadn’t seen it before, so it was pretty interesting. I thought it turned out really good.”

On what’s happening in season two: “We’re filming season 2 right now. We’re working with real babies — it’s crazy! The babies have been great and they haven’t been crying a lot — they’re very well-behaved babies!”
Here's the link:http://justjaredjr.buzznet.com/2009/...-babies-crazy/
Old 03-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Addicted Fan

I love all these articles... we need someone to do one with Daren and Shai.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Elite Fan

Thanks for that Janine.. Aww that was sweet..lol She always knew that Ricky had an emotional side..lol

Found this article:

Quote:
The Secret Life of the American Teenager delivers in more ways than one.
The first season closes Monday (ABC Family, 8 p.m. ET/PT) when 15-year-old Amy (Shailene Woodley) gives birth to a boy, just about nine months after the premiere.

At the same time, the second half of Teenager's split season has delivered the biggest audience to date (3.4 million viewers) for the rising ABC Family channel, including basic cable's top numbers among young viewers (ages 12 to 34). It beats its much touted time-slot competitor, CW's Gossip Girl, in both total audience and younger viewers.

Woodley, 17, says Teenager feels real to its youthful audience: "A lot of teens respond to it because it's so true to life in so many ways." Another lure: "It has cute guys."

Amy's pregnancy, the result of a one-time tryst, has been Teenager's central story and a timely one. The teen birth rate rose in 2006 and 2007 after more than a decade of decline, and pregnancies of Jamie Lynn Spears and Bristol Palin highlighted the issue.

The birth is just one story for creator Brenda Hampton (7th Heaven), who is building a broader universe of students navigating issues of sex, love and relationships. They include Amy's boyfriend, Ben, and the baby's father, Ricky, who must negotiate their relationship to Amy, as well as other teens who range from sexually active to abstinent. "It is becoming increasingly complex. There are so many different dynamics going on," says Hampton, who mixes humor in with the drama.

Spoiler:

ABC Family, once a laggard in the Disney TV family, began establishing itself with "25 Days of Christmas" programming and original movies. It then sought to attract core viewers (females ages 14 to 28) with original series (Kyle XY, Greek,Lincoln Heights), a move that has helped many cable networks establish identities, network president Paul Lee says.

Tonight, Teenager will help launch ABC Family's first comedy series, Roommates (9 ET/PT). The network plans three more series: Perfect 10, a drama that follows Olympic gymnastics hopefuls; 10 Things I Hate About You, based on the movie; and comedy Ruby and the Rockits.

Teenager doesn't ignore the young characters' parents and families, Lee says, as some youth-oriented shows have done. The series has followed the breakup of Amy's parents, Anne and George (Mark Derwin), its effect on the family, and the relationship between Ben (Ken Baumann) and his father (Steven Schirippa).

The network mixes fresh teen faces with well-known older ones, such as '80s teen queen Ringwald, Frasier's Peri Gilpin (Perfect 10) and '70s heartthrob David Cassidy (Ruby). The latter group may attract teens' mothers, and the network's philosophy of "warm-hearted, optimistic storytelling" helps create a comfortable atmosphere for them to watch with their children, Lee says.

"I've heard a lot that the show has opened up avenues for parents to talk to their teenagers about certain things, like sex and drugs and alcohol," Woodley says. The series' mature themes, though, have drawn some fire from activist parents. (Public service announcements and ABC Family's website offer sources for advice.)

Hampton is happy to get to write about sex, a complicated, often controversial topic, but she isn't judging her characters.

"The question is, 'Is it OK for some teens to be having sex or is it never OK?' " she says. "We're asking a lot more questions than we're answering. Hopefully, people are answering the questions in their own homes."
Shai said the show has cute boys. UH HUH!! Does it now, Shai? She was totally thinking about Daren there..lol

Another article:

Quote:
Monday's season finale of "The Secret Life of the American Teenager" matched its most watched episode ever, with 4.5 million viewers and was ABC Family's No. 1 telecast on record among females 12-34, 2.4 million of whom tuned in.

The network also crows that it was the No. 1 scripted telecast on all of TV that night in viewers 12-34 and cable's No. 1 scripted telecast in total viewers.

Directly opposite a new "Gossip Girl," it had more than double the total viewers - 4.5 million vs. 2.2 million.

These kinds of numbers lead some to believe that "Secret Life" is a better show, a more accurate depiction of teenage life and at least more widely embraced than the much more hyped "Gossip Girl."

Actually, the far more entertaining "Gossip Girl" is just as unrealistic in its way, with its over-the-top depiction of Upper East Side teens all acting like the age of its 20ish actors. But it is better acted and much better written than "Secret Life," which shocks me every time I see it in how amateurish much of the acting is and how clunky the scripts are.

While the dialogue of "Gossip Girl" may be far too witty to be realistic coming out of its supposed teenagers, the lines on "Secret Live" are unrealistic in another way - way too preachy and square. Everybody sounds like a mom.

That was especially true on Monday's season finale, in which its lead character (played by Shailene Woodley, just about the best actress in the show) finally has her baby after what seems like much longer than three trimesters.

A lot of its declarations in Barbara Hampton's script were right out of 1950s scare films: "She's too young to have a baby!" says sister Ashley, played by Selena Gomez lookalike India Eisley. "I can't believe this mistake has affected so many lives," says remorseful father, played by Daren Kagasoff in the standard rebel without a script style of James Dean or rather Luke Perry.

There was even a scene of an anxious father pacing while awaiting the birth - a cliché you may not have seen since 60s sitcoms.

The birth itself, treated like some kind of ick show in the dialogue, occurs entirely behind closed doors. While on "Gossip Girl," it would have come in full HD, with the baby carrying a martini and spouting bon mots, and immediately sent to all available smart phones.

XOXO

Last edited by Sweet Pea; 03-25-2009 at 10:53 AM
Old 03-25-2009, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Hampton is happy to get to write about sex, a complicated, often controversial topic, but she isn't judging her characters.

"The question is, 'Is it OK for some teens to be having sex or is it never OK?' " she says. "We're asking a lot more questions than we're answering. Hopefully, people are answering the questions in their own homes."
I like this part! It certainly has helped me out more so than I could've imagined!

Quote:
Directly opposite a new "Gossip Girl," it had more than double the total viewers - 4.5 million vs. 2.2 million.
So does this mean we out did GG again?!

Quote:
That was especially true on Monday's season finale, in which its lead character (played by Shailene Woodley, just about the best actress in the show)
Way to go Shai!!!

That review was awesome and the numbers for the season finale are great!

Way to go Secret Life fans we showed how interested we are in it
Emma♥Neal
Old 03-25-2009, 12:48 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:

Shai said the show has cute boys. UH HUH!! Does it now, Shai? She was totally thinking about Daren there..lol

hahaha.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Master Fan

Thanks so much for bringing those articles over!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessBird_630 (View Post)
I love all these articles... we need someone to do one with Daren and Shai.
We really do!

Wow, almost time for a new thread... Ronnie, did you want to start the new thread or did you want me to?
Old 03-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Dedicated Fan

i think shai was totally thinking about daren when she said the show has cute boys