Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 05-02-2011, 09:04 AM
Elite Fan

Well this thread has been MIA for a while

I thought I'd resurrect it since it's been a big day in America with Osama etc.

.. and cause we can never just chat enough

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM
Elite Fan

A big day, indeed. It was startling to see that the President was reporting so late an announcement, thankfully it was a good one.

kenny | credit
Old 05-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Master Fan

I'm not American but I was watching Obama's annoucement and couldn't help thinking how it must have felt for every american watching that yesterday. The feeling must have been amazing.
This is def the kind of news you hear and you're like "Is that a joke?' because it seems too good to be true.
It is a great news for the whole world, the end of an era even if it's defintely not the end of Al-Quaeda and terrorism. I hope all the hostages are fine too, because they could be the first ones to be killed when they decide to get their revenge. I know my country has several people kept as hostages for a while in Afghanistan and Niger. And I truly hope none of them will be killed in that new war that probably starts today.

Obama just won his second mandate I believe.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Hero

This tweet pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter:
Quote:
"Tonight is a night for sober and mature reflection, not glee. Mindless celebration is both spiritually inappropriate and politically naive."
I'm not sad to hear that the man died, but I also don't think it's appropriate by any means to be rejoicing over someone's death. No matter what they have done. I would rather not stoop to their level.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:21 PM
Elite Fan

I'm not a fan of the cheering either.

kenny | credit
Old 05-02-2011, 01:29 PM
Master Fan

That's the thing I have a hard time understanding. Like, really, I'm glad the guy has been stopped and I sure don't respect him or his actions but I think he deserves the same respect as anybody else in death. To me, this should be the moment we are all equal. Death. I would have pulled the trigger myself honeslty but I don't think we should celebrate anything. Being relieve yes, celebrating a death, not so much.

That's alos why I don't think they should have throw his body in the sea like that; it's against its religion and he should have had the right to be burried the way Islam does it. That's one really bad move imo.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Master Fan

The problem with fighting for and in the name of religion is that it opens up too many doors to too many interpretations.

My dad was in the military and I'm actually a very patriotic person, but this, last night and today...I just feel sick. I'm not mourning Bin Laden. I'm not even sad he's dead, I'm just sad that this huge moment, this massive achievement (or whatever they want to call it) isn't going to change anything. The US has more troops overseas than any other country. We NEVER leave places where we've fought wars. We stay to "rebuild and help establish peaceful, democratic governments" but our allies today will be our enemies the next generation and the very weapons and money we give to them will get used against us.

It's a massive lie to say that "cutting the head off the snake" will have achieved anything here. The minute the US started taking up any cause or people that would have or needed us, everything just got muddled. There aren't real sides anymore. EVERYONE is capable of evil. Everyone.

I guess I just believe in The Constitution too much, because apparently, my government no longer does.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I'm not sad to hear that the man died, but I also don't think it's appropriate by any means to be rejoicing over someone's death. No matter what they have done. I would rather not stoop to their level.
I know right? There were a couple of tweets from celebs (some apart of this show) that I felt inappropriate. Think it, don't say it.

Quote:
My dad was in the military and I'm actually a very patriotic person, but this, last night and today...I just feel sick. I'm not mourning Bin Laden. I'm not even sad he's dead, I'm just sad that this huge moment, this massive achievement (or whatever they want to call it) isn't going to change anything. The US has more troops overseas than any other country. We NEVER leave places where we've fought wars. We stay to "rebuild and help establish peaceful, democratic governments" but our allies today will be our enemies the next generation and the very weapons and money we give to them will get used against us.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 05-02-2011, 02:11 PM
Master Fan

I totally understand Kim. To be honest I'm not very patriotic, we don't really do patriotic in France
I know Ameicans tend to be. I dunno, I'm not into wars, at all. And I hate when a government take any excuse to start a war in a country and go in the country the way Bush did. As you said, you won't really leave these countries and I'm not even sure it's helping them. i still don't get why we sent some soldiers there either. To me it isn't the solution, simply because first they don't want us there and second, most of the time we want to change their country, not rebuild it. We want them to be just like us and it doesn't work that way imo.

Starting war because of religion is not even somehting I actaully understand. it makes no sense for me. religion is supposed to be about peace and respect. War is everything but that.

Well I don't think anyone would be sad he's dead, except for his followers of course. Doesn't mean we can go and dance on his tumb.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastidy (View Post)
I know right? There were a couple of tweets from celebs (some apart of this show) that I felt inappropriate. Think it, don't say it.
Truth. I actually thought what Matt Lanter said was juvenile and disgusting. I kind of lost respect for him in that moment.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Master Fan

I mentionned that in the Tumblr/Twitter thread. It's all kind of wrong. I know Matt seems really into military subjects and maybe he has a family member over there, don't know don't care at this point. I think it's disrespectful and he shouldn't have mentionned it at all if it was only to say something like that I love him but this is not right.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:21 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Truth. I actually thought what Matt Lanter said was juvenile and disgusting. I kind of lost respect for him in that moment.
I understand getting caught up in the moment but since so many other people managed to pull off courteous despite possible inner satisfaction, he just sounded like a child.

My Tumblr
My Twitter
Old 05-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Fan Forum Hero

With such a touchy subject I feel like most of the celebrities who people truly look up to should of just laid low with their feelings on the matter. Not that they can't express their opinions, but they should be aware of their audience.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Master Fan

Exactly. There's such a thing as "tact". I mean, he's not some 18-year-old kid who's proud to be an American. He's almost 30 and that was a straight horrible thing to say. And it just made him look like a jerk. The first line of his bio is "Christian".

Now I feel like it should include "hypocrite".

I'm Catholic and I believe in an eye for an eye but that doesn't mean I have to do a jig when someone is killed, regardless of who that someone is.

Quote:
With such a touchy subject I feel like most of the celebrities who people truly look up to should of just laid low with their feelings on the matter. Not that they can't express their opinions, but they should be aware of their audience.
THIS. That is perfectly worded and exactly the point. There is a reason the saying "Never talk about politics or religion at dinner." exists. It's too volatile. And he's a smart kid. I'm sure he could have thought of something more...neutral to say. He didn't need to be full of mourning or respect for the man, but being disrespectful and crude wasn't necessary either.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:27 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
I completely agree. A lot of fans look at them as role model and in these moments, even if it might be hard because you might feel the need to express something a certain way, you should be careful with your words.

ETA: That's what I find odd. He is proud to be a Christian and he should know better than that. I just think it doesn't really work together. Having such a strong faith and wishing/saying that kind of stuff.