Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-23-2013, 10:25 AM
Obsessed Fan

I don't know what to think after the episode. Deb's death was the last straw for Dexter, without her he knew he could never have a normal life. It makes me feel sad to know that Deb's body ended up at the bottom of the ocean though. I guess Dexter felt like she was another one of his victims, dead because of him. But she deserved to have a proper burial rather than no one knowing what happened to her body, she just disappeared in the storm.

I loved the flashback scenes of Deb with Harrison. It was a nice way of Dexter to remember her and how much she meant to him and how important she was in his life.

I wanted Dexter to die in the end rather than just fake his death and end up working as a logger somewhere. Seemed like an odd way to finish the series. I can't help wondering if he just went back to killing again or not?

I felt they really wasted time this season. The Masuka/daughter storyline didn't go anywhere. Neither did Jamie and Quinn. Even though I wasn't a big fan of Quinn and Deb, he loved her and I was glad she told him she loved him before she died, at least he got that.

I feel sorry for Harrison and I can't help but wonder what everyone in Miami thinks happened to him. I guess Elway knows Hannah has him, so would he have told the police Dexter's involvement with her and the last time he saw Harrison he was on a bus with Hannah?

I think I wanted Dex to get found out in the end, but the only person left alive that knows the truth about Dexter is Lumen and she wasn't involved at all this season.

Deb was my fave character on the show, so I'm sad that she died in the end
Old 09-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Extreme Fan

^I know,she was the best.
Quote:
I was satisfied with this season, but then again, I liked every single one but 3. The only good stuff about 3 was Rita and the kids, Sylvia and I liked Deb moving on from Lundy.
I had some problems with this season too but yes i think the worst one was season 3.
You should all read what the writers said about the finale.I liked this quote
Quote:
Deb, who was his touchstone and soulmate, died — and this was the only fitting punishment. He banishes himself, if you will, into exile. When he looks into the camera in the end [of the finale], the rest is silence; there’s not even a voiceover there anymore. It’s just emptiness… Committing suicide is too easy; that’s letting himself off the hook.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:18 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I have a lot to say and have been thinking about it . Read reviews as well as post comments from the executive producers head writers .
Even Better former head of the show Clive Owen gave a interview on how he organinly planned to end the series . When i get home ill post it .

I enjoyed the finale , parts of it where sad some of it gave me closure !

Quote:
). Clyde Phillips — who ran the show for the glorious first four seasons, and who has been critical of this final season of Dexter — had an idea for an ending while he was still running the show that he thinks is better than last night’s finale.

It sure couldn’t be worse.

While conceding that he thought they did a “good job” with the final episode (he’s just being nice), Phillips laid out his idea for the finale to E!:

“In the very last scene of the series,” Philips explained, “Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, ‘Oh, it was a dream.’ And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, ‘No, it’s not a dream.’ Dexter’s opening his eyes and he’s on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They’re just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

“And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he’s arguably responsible for, Rita, who he’s arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

“That’s what I envisioned for the ending of Dexter. That everything we’ve seen over the past eight seasons has happened in the several seconds from the time they start Dexter’s execution to the time they finish the execution and he dies. Literally, his life flashed before his eyes as he was about to die. I think it would have been a great, epic, very satisfying conclusion.”

I like it. Better, yes? An “epic, very satisfying conclusion?” That depends really on how he got to the execution table. If Debra was responsible for arresting and putting away Dexter, then absolutely. I can definitely see how it’d work well, and it’s sure as hell better than what Scott Buck came up with.

I do like the inspiration for the ending, too.

Phillips further explained that his idea for the ending was inspired by An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge, the 1890 story by Ambrose Pierce about a Confederate soldier that is famous for its time-altering, plot-twisting ending. When the soldier is hanged, the rope breaks, he falls into the river, swims to shore, runs toward his family, see his wife and children and right before they are reunited, the rope catches and he dies. It turns out that the entire story takes place in the two to three seconds between the soldier’s initial drop and his neck snapping.

Speaking of Scott Buck, he’s really not letting that Dexter spin-off idea go, despite the negative reception this final season of Dexter has received.

Asked about a couple of possibilities, Scott Buck tells The Hollywood Reporter that he’s open to them.

THR: Is Hannah and Harrison’s story something you’ve talked about for a spinoff?

Buck: Absolutely. I love Yvonne Strahovski, she’s a terrific actor and has brought so much to the series. Who knows? We may see her again in the future.

Later in the interview, though he noted that there have been no discussions yet on what the spin-off might be, he also seemed to suggest that a show centered on Quinn could work, too.

I could see, maybe, the Strahovski spin-off working, as long as Scott Buck is kept as far away from it as possible. Still, whatever the spin-off may be, we do have to contend with the fact that Dexter is still out there, so if a spin-off is greenlit, the question of him returning will forever hang over it.

(Sources: E! and THR)

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2013/09/for...#ixzz2fkP8NEKR

Last edited by Logan; 09-23-2013 at 12:54 PM
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Extreme Fan

That was funny.
How the Dexter Final Scene Should Have Ended - YouTube
Old 09-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

so, so sad! That last shot of Dex
Old 09-23-2013, 03:08 PM
Obsessed Fan

I cannot see a Hannah spinoff being green lit ever Besides she has money, she wasn't like Dexter,she ddoesn't need to kill. I see her having a pretty normal quiet life from now on.
Old 09-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheonixofKobol (View Post)
I cannot see a Hannah spinoff being green lit ever Besides she has money, she wasn't like Dexter,she ddoesn't need to kill. I see her having a pretty normal quiet life from now on.

I love Yvonne, but I wouldn't, either. There's no point, she got a child like she always wanted and what would we see? Her mourning Dexter?

Quote:
Deb, who was his touchstone and soulmate, died — and this was the only fitting punishment. He banishes himself, if you will, into exile. When he looks into the camera in the end [of the finale], the rest is silence; there’s not even a voiceover there anymore. It’s just emptiness… Committing suicide is too easy; that’s letting himself off the hook.
Hmm...never thought about it. I just thought that it was self-punishment in a way. Plus, for all the Deb/Dexter people, they would have died together, you know?

Quote:
I don't know what to think after the episode. Deb's death was the last straw for Dexter, without her he knew he could never have a normal life. It makes me feel sad to know that Deb's body ended up at the bottom of the ocean though. I guess Dexter felt like she was another one of his victims, dead because of him. But she deserved to have a proper burial rather than no one knowing what happened to her body, she just disappeared in the storm.

I loved the flashback scenes of Deb with Harrison. It was a nice way of Dexter to remember her and how much she meant to him and how important she was in his life.

I wanted Dexter to die in the end rather than just fake his death and end up working as a logger somewhere. Seemed like an odd way to finish the series. I can't help wondering if he just went back to killing again or not?

I felt they really wasted time this season. The Masuka/daughter storyline didn't go anywhere. Neither did Jamie and Quinn. Even though I wasn't a big fan of Quinn and Deb, he loved her and I was glad she told him she loved him before she died, at least he got that.

I feel sorry for Harrison and I can't help but wonder what everyone in Miami thinks happened to him. I guess Elway knows Hannah has him, so would he have told the police Dexter's involvement with her and the last time he saw Harrison he was on a bus with Hannah?

I think I wanted Dex to get found out in the end, but the only person left alive that knows the truth about Dexter is Lumen and she wasn't involved at all this season.

Deb was my fave character on the show, so I'm sad that she died in the end
This. Deb grew on me a lot this season, but that's because they gave her more lines instead of a string of swear words. I have a foul mouth too, but not on that level.

Elway was a and I couldn't believe him. Why should that poor child go into protective custody? WTF?! :angry:

All he wanted was the money and it's to do something so horrible. Deb could have been a fit guardian and foster care was just wrong. Part of me hoped that Elway hearing that Deb is dead and so is Dexter would keep him from being tacky and telling everyone what Dexter did. I mean, was there even a point? Even if they followed Hannah, she probably changed her name. That's a new can of worms and I just...no.

I would have liked to see him get caught in the end,but the suicide thing was nice, too. Only they didn't kill him, they had him living as a logger. I didn't see why Lumen would come back, though. I mean, what would she even do? I'm sure that if she found out about Dexter she'd be sad, but she hasn't been mentioned in awhile.

I'm never going to be okay with him throwing Deb into the sea. She deserved better than that and she was a lot more moral, too. I didn't even like what he did with Zach's body, so it just makes me want to smack him. That and of course his whole Rita thing. She's probably pissed off and glaring at him from heaven.

Last edited by Against_all_odds; 09-23-2013 at 04:22 PM
Old 09-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Obsessed Fan

I don't think Dexter was thinking of anyone but himself when he threw Deb's body into the sea. He thought of her as being another one of his victims, his fault she was dead, so he did to her what he didto the rest of his victims. He should have thought what would have been best for her and that would have been a proper burial and her other loved ones being there. Other people loved her to and they're left to never know what happened to her in that hospital.
Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

i'm tired of noble characters being victimized by the villains and then dying. there are better ways to resolve the cliche arcs of these stories.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Best part was that final 15 was about Deb and Dexter ...

If you look at how the orginal showrunner was going to end it , with Dexter being prepped for excution and he looks out in the gallery sees all those "he killed" all the big bad guys ..

The idea of Dexter in say Oragon or Canada as a lumberjack , is interesting . I felt leaving the end if him driving the boat into the storm bad coast guard finding wreckage would have satified me as a ending ..
Old 09-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Logan (View Post)
Best part was that final 15 was about Deb and Dexter ...

If you look at how the orginal showrunner was going to end it , with Dexter being prepped for excution and he looks out in the gallery sees all those "he killed" all the big bad guys ..

The idea of Dexter in say Oragon or Canada as a lumberjack , is interesting . I felt leaving the end if him driving the boat into the storm bad coast guard finding wreckage would have satified me as a ending ..
MTE, even if the idea of suicide being too easy is probably it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas forever (View Post)
i'm tired of noble characters being victimized by the villains and then dying. there are better ways to resolve the cliche arcs of these stories.

Are you the same one who posts at the soap board?

I'm tired of it too, but in her case, it was necessary. The only way it could hurt him even more was if Harrison had been the one who died.

Quote:
I don't think Dexter was thinking of anyone but himself when he threw Deb's body into the sea. He thought of her as being another one of his victims, his fault she was dead, so he did to her what he didto the rest of his victims. He should have thought what would have been best for her and that would have been a proper burial and her other loved ones being there. Other people loved her to and they're left to never know what happened to her in that hospital.
Ugh...even if people hate Hannah, she did force him to realize that his whole "dark passenger" thing was b.s. and that he liked killing people. He's been selfish twice now and Deb was his victim before she died. Her world fell apart when she shot LaGuerta and being okay with his behavior had to have taken a lot.

Even if she was a victim, she's his sister and shouldn't have been treated as one. Good god-Couldn't the man have done at least that one thing for her?

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddy88 (View Post)
omg....

Last edited by Against_all_odds; 09-24-2013 at 07:44 PM
Old 09-25-2013, 04:10 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Really? Then he forgot one crucial thing. To cut her into pieces. Like other victims. he thought of her as only one of his victims. To him she was only a victim, but what about some respect and piety to her? Didn't she deserve something more from him? He was very selfish here.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:25 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
The only way it could hurt him even more was if Harrison had been the one who died.
You know,imo,Deb's death was more painful for him than it would be Harrison's death.Their relationship was the strongest one on the show,for me.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:01 PM
Master Fan

Really? It's so awful to lose a child, though. He would have failed on multiple levels. The again, I'm glad he realized that his stupid behavior caused problems. Couldn't stop him from being seflish, but he still realized the consequences of his actions.
Old 09-25-2013, 08:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by huddy88 (View Post)
You know,imo,Deb's death was more painful for him than it would be Harrison's death.Their relationship was the strongest one on the show,for me.
I love Harrison...but I completely agree. Deb's death was and would always be the most painful for Dexter
Thor/Loki Charles/Erik Kirk/Spock Zachary/Chris Dexter/Deb Nev/Max Thorin/Bilbo Neal/Peter John/D'avin Thomas/Newt Conrad/Devon Stiles/Scott Richie/Eddie