Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 01-09-2012, 03:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

Aww that sucks! I want Jen to be the leading female star in a action movie
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 PM
Elite Fan

Yeah, I've seen that movie too and they totally wasted her!
Old 01-09-2012, 08:26 PM
New Fan

I would love to see her become a female lead in a lot of movies. She's kind of the breakout star in the show. In the latest season, her character was basically a lead along with Dexter. She was carrying a lot of weight too. But she made a seemingly kind of ridiculous jump in story work. I feel like they've kind of ignored Debra after season 1. Jennifer had really tough stuff to portray in season 1 and 6.

I think she does her best when she's working with dark material too. She is a horror junkie after all. But i think she'd be great in a drama too. She had some great drama scenes in season 6.

I thought it was kind of cool how Debras character is this new viewpoint we get into the direction Homicide is going. Something about someone we trust being in charge of the department that could hunt Dexter down, again. And with everything she just learned in 2 seconds before the screen went black, she's going to have some really dramatic scenes next season. Some really complex ones too. I am psyched for that.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

I think S4 was a strong season for Deb as well Especially dealing with Lundy's death.

Quote:
I think she does her best when she's working with dark material too. She is a horror junkie after all. But i think she'd be great in a drama too. She had some great drama scenes in season 6.
Agreed. Give the girl drama, she kills it. No pun intended
Old 01-10-2012, 04:34 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride the lightning (View Post)
I think S4 was a strong season for Deb as well Especially dealing with Lundy's death.
I was going to write season 4 too, but I was thinking more about complex scenes. She had some great drama scenes in season 4. But the actual meaty story lines, i think, are season 1 and 6. Where they give her some really twisted stuff to work with. Her romance with Brian was really twisted. In the span of one episode, she is 'making love' to Brian. I'm sure Jennifer is thrilled that her character is getting some dark psychological story lines again.

I've always thought the audience is pretty unfair with Debra. I know theres a great bunch who feel for her. I don't understand how you can't. She's probably as big of a victim as Dexter is in this entire story. For the mass audience to believe that someone who has severe daddy issues, who then engages a serial killer who tries to murder her, and then recovers, while falling in love with a man who is her fathers age and has her brothers personality -- would turn out to be just as normal as a viewer? Absolutely unbelievable and ridiculous. By the way, did I mention her rock, the guy she always turns to, is a serial killer? People can be seriously unfair to this character. Her cursing makes her cute, but she's not just a one-note joke machine. I feel even worse for the character after her therapy revelation. It syncs up, yes. But it is so messed up. And to be quite honest, I don't see Dexter ever feeling the same way. So it makes me feel for her even more. I see her being this incredibly damaged, yet truly heroic character by the end of the series. She'll always carry this unrequited love while Dexters story most likely takes a tragic turn.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
People can be seriously unfair to this character.
Exactly. I almost think Deb's story is as sad and messed up as Dexter's, and thats bad. It all stems down to her daddy issues though, and Dexter is to blame for that in a way ... and you're right. S4 was more about drama and she did have meatier SL's in S1 & S6. I think next season she'll have another great season, I am so interested to see how they deal with Deb knowing Dex's secret especially since these "feelings" have developed. I'm not suprised she has feelings for Dexter either, he's been the one constant in her life when all else around her is crashing down. She's turned to him in all of her darkest moments so of course she'll have feelings but for Deb she finds it hard to distinguish what feelings they are.

Anyway I'm rambling now
Old 01-12-2012, 02:22 PM
New Fan

From an interview with Manny Coto

Quote:
Not block it out, but come on, don't date your brother. That's still wrong. "It is, it is but it happens," Coto admitted. "Not very often but it does happen. By the way, because it's appalling and maybe disturbing, this is "Dexter". We felt that it'd be interesting to pursue this particular storyline even if it is appalling and disturbing to some people. This is not ABC Family. This is Showtime and the show is constantly trying to go forward into places that you didn't expect."

It certainly was unexpected. The controversial development still came out of a thematic place, even if the theme didn't stop at adoption incest. "It was more something that came to us because we'd looked upon Debra's relationships in the past. We try to write from being inside the character's heads. Having been in Debra's head for so many years and her failed relationships and her relationship with an earlier serial killer and the fact that she always picks these guys who are unavailable or problematic, it just occurred to us that maybe there's something behind all this."
Source: http://dextergr.blogspot.com/2012/01...alks.html#more (vague ideas for season 7. He states many times they are still in the very early stages of mapping it out)

However you feel about this plot line. If the writers tried to bail on it now. Debras character would lose all credibility. I'm glad they take her character seriously.
Old 01-12-2012, 03:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

And it totally makes sense that she'd fall for someone like Dexter.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:23 PM
Elite Fan

I agree...

Often the wounded attract the wounded...
Old 01-12-2012, 11:20 PM
New Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride the lightning (View Post)
And it totally makes sense that she'd fall for someone like Dexter.
What I write next is all hypothetical, so they are not spoilers per se. Just theories.

What sounds really cool, is that he says their take on season 7, is about Debra. Obvious from the finale. However, even though he says they haven't decided what to do about a villain, they think it has to stem from Debra's knowledge now. (If you ever watched Lost and read Damon Lindelof 'spoilers' you know what i mean when they lead you down the wrong path intentionally in interviews) So if there is a Big Bad in season 7, it would have to highlight and really make Debra's knowledge of Dexters dark side even more dramatic or tense. I really like how they are evolving the plight of Dexter into two people now. Dexter and Debra. Feels like its coming full circle from Harry and Dexter.

Honestly it might be time for a break from the Big Bad theme from the season. A majority of fans can't seem to be pleased with a villain regardless. Maybe they can play it out more like season 2. Where there was no real Big Bad. Just incredible complications for Dexter. Season 2 had so much to deal with since it was about Dexter being hunted. Season 7 has a LOT to deal with now that Debra knows. Maybe Lewis can be the new Lila. That distraction that Dexter causes inadvertently. Not necessarily a Big Bad, but a threat that is more minor?

In any case, Jennifer is sure to be a force to be reckoned with next season.

Last edited by kools; 01-12-2012 at 11:26 PM
Old 02-18-2012, 01:32 PM
Master Fan

Jennifer is the only reason I might go see "Gone." I mean, I love Amanda too, but nothing about the trailer has me thrilled or excited to see it..

I'm glad Jennifer has the talent to pull off what they're about to require her to do for her character. She can play complex and complicated so very well. Whether she's loudly cursing or quietly moody, she can pull off anything.

Oh gosh please tell me you've all seen this movie.

"Sucker Punch" is the love of my life and "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" is the reason I live

Last edited by obthavariable; 02-18-2012 at 01:58 PM
Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 AM
Obsessed Fan

My God, she was in White Chicks? I haven't seen that movie in years.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:13 AM
Fan Forum Star

She's the one in White Chicks who has a freak out about her thighs
Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 AM
Obsessed Fan

I seriously need to watch that movie again now - I remember nothing
Old 02-19-2012, 04:16 AM
Fan Forum Star

I love that movie! The guy with the massive tongue