Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Elite Fan

CNN picked up that interview above for their entertainment page.
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-23-2010, 08:51 PM
Elite Fan

I love seeing all this news
Old 06-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Don't forget to tweet us questions for our interviews tomorrow with #Huge star Nikki Blonsky and @Syfy star Emily Rose!
Twitter / StarryMag: Don't forget to tweet us q ...

People should send in questions
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Fan Forum Hero

People Scans:

Old 06-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Fan

I think her dress should be a little shorter...It's cutting off the line of her leg, but the empire waist does help a little...(And I need to stop watching What Not to Wear )

I those shoes! (All of them, really)

And she looks gorgeous as ever! Thanks for those!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Elite Fan

I don't know how I feel about the dress but those shoes

She looks gorgeous!
Old 06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Fan

The dress would be awesome if it came to her knee (or even above her knee a little). It would create the illusion of height, especially with those shoes because they strap around her ankle and calf. It's making her look really short.

And I know she is short, but that dress isn't the best.

Damn, I need a job in fashion. I love her outfit and hair in the second pic though!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Elite Fan

Ooooh thank you so much for that Jess. I love her shoes!

Ok I freaking LOVE this article!

Quote:
Former Cold Stone Creamery scooper Nikki Blonsky burst onto the scene at the age of 17 when she won the hearts of audiences — and scored a Golden Globe nom — for her role Tracy Turnblad, the lead in movie musical Hairspray. But then the plus size actress with the super size voice dropped off the Hollywood radar, while her personal life become fodder for the tabloids. But now Nikki’s back, playing another plus sized role, which is very different from Tracy. The 21-year-old is playing the lead on the ABC Family show Huge, which premieres on Monday night. Nikki plays Willamena Rader, known as Will, a girl whose parents force her to attend the weight loss camp that serves as the backdrop of the show. Will refuses to conform to her parents’ wishes or the demands of the camp, and she continues to wear her comfy boy’s clothes and sport blue streaks in her hair, while decided to gain weight while there, instead of losing it.

“I totally advocate being who you are, loving who you are, live and let live,” Nikki told Crushable, while speaking to reporters today. “Just love what God gave you because God gave it to you for a reason…I’m meant to be a 4-foot-10 plus size actress and I’m perfectly okay and happy with that. If we all accept who we are and love who we are we’ll all be okay.”

When faced with the question of whether a show about a weight loss camp might send the wrong message to girls about body size and weight loss, Nikki said a camp like the one on Huge would be okay, if the child wants to go there instead of being sent there, like her character Will. “I think if the kid comes to the parent and says, ‘Mom, I really want to go and lose weight, I’ve heard about this camp, I really want to go and get fit,’ then that’s perfectly okay,” Nikki explained. “I think if the parent is sending a child, it’s in some way sending a message to that child that the child is not good enough as they are for the parents. There is no worse fear in my heart than not being good enough for my parents.”

Although Nikki has faced teasing about her weight during her life, she revealed that her parents told her she was beautiful every day. As a result, she has a very healthy self-image and can do things like pose in a bathing suit for the Huge poster. “You don’t get any more bare than that, unless you’re doing Playboy and that’s not happening any time soon…ever,” Nikki confessed. “It was the most freeing experience in my life. Growing up you always have those things…I dealt with that for a long time until I got the part of Will and day one, first shot, she’s taking off her clothes, stripping down to a bathing suit.”

Nikki said she was overjoyed to be part of a plus-sized cast, and hoped Huge would open more doors for plus size actors in Hollywood. “I hope that there are a lot of more plus-sized characters on there as love interests, as everything, as all the different roles,” she said. “I hope it just breaks all the boundaries in Hollywood.”

As for role models for young fans, Nikki counts her “best friend” (and Hairspray co-star) Zac Efron among those actors in Hollywood who set good examples for their fans. She also listed Cameron Manheim, Ricki Lake, Rosie O’Donnell, Whoopi Goldberg and Angelina Jolie as her own role models. “They are such strong women who are who they are, and don’t care,” Nikki said.

Besides Huge, which she said is consuming most of her time at the moment, Nikki is playing a young, married mother in the film Waiting for Forever, which is due to hit theaters this fall. And since she’s known for her voice, Nikki also told Crushable she’d be open to role Glee. “That’s something I would love to do,” she said. She might even give Amber Riley, who plays plus-sized diva Mercedes on the show, a run for her money.
Nikki Blonsky Weighs In On Body Image And Her New Show, ‘Huge’ Crushable

There are more twitters and stuff on the Huge thread.
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-24-2010, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Fan

Oy vey, I her. She's sooooooo awesommme!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Elite Fan

She just expresses things so well.

These are so cute.

Quote:
Asked @NikkiBlonsky1 (from @ABCFhuge) an interview Q & 1st thing she said was "Wow, thats a great question!" I was beaming #HUGEActionist
Twitter / Emily-Anne Rigal: Asked @NikkiBlonsky1 (from ...

Quote:
I'm talking to @NikkiBlonsky1 from @ABCFhuge later on. Very proud to talk to such an inspiring young woman with such talent! Q's 4 her?
Twitter / TV Guru Gal: I'm talking to @NikkiBlons ...
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

^ Oh awesome
Old 06-25-2010, 11:49 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Monday, ABC will further redefine its Family brand with the premiere of, Huge, starring Nikki Blonsky (Hairspray, Queen Sized), Hayley Hasselhoff, Harvey Guillen, Ari Stidham, Raven Goodwin, Ashley Holliday and Andrew Caldwell.

Blonsky leads the ensemble cast as blue-streaked rude gal, Will—short for Willamina—whose parents have shipped her off to fitness camp to relieve their own discomfort with their daughter’s weight. Likewise, the other six teens that come to characterize the series are being burdened with the same guilty expectations that are hard to find loving.

If you’ve pegged Nikki to the always-butterflies-and-sunshine, life’s-a-musical-so-sing! aura she emanated in her Hairspray debut, think again. (However, there was that one time with a certain ANTM gal that may have clued you in…)

The 21-year-old Blonsky, who is content to be plus size and fun size (she towers at 4’11”) talked ‘Huge’ on and off the small screen and how jaded she really isn’t by Hollywood standards.

“I just adore her,” Blonsky says of her character. “Like Will, I’m not as naïve as Tracy,” she says of her inaugural spin on Hairspray’s Turnblad.
“(To Tracy) the world was amazing, and everything was so fresh and so clean and I wanted to make the world a better place—and I still do. I still hold that quality of Tracy in me,” she shares.

“But I’ve been around a few years now, and I’m a little smarter. I get the game now. That’s where I connect with Will,” Blonsky says. “I see through people.”

When asked how she felt about parents who might pull similar stunts in real life, Nikki is clear. “I think if the kid comes to the parent and says, ‘You know, I really want to go and lose weight. I heard about this camp….’, then that would be okay. I think if a parent is sending a child, it’s in some way sending a message to that child that they’re not good enough the way they are for that parent,” she says.

“I was told that I was beautiful at home,” Nikki says. Only when she arrived at school did Blonsky begin to question her appearance. “But there’s no worse fear, I believe, in my heart than not being good enough for my parents.”
Beyond the series, Blonsky discussed her personal vision for the future of actors in Hollywood who happen to be plus size.

Nikki tells Poptimal.com, “I’m hoping that we get recognition for our acting skills, rather than just being called plus-size actors or a community of plus-size people, we’re a community of actors.” She points to the success of Academy Award-winning actress Mo’Nique and her own Golden Globe nomination as evidence of the possibilities. “Talent, I think, always will prevail.”

At present, Blonsky shares with Poptimal, Hollywood is still looking for the plus size actor who’ll take the joke—and these days that’s not as much a problem for the guys as it is the girls. The prevalence of Seth Rogens and Jonah Hills only corroborates the observation.

“I think there are way more roles for plus size guys than plus size females right now, which kind of stinks for us girls,” Nikki shares. “They’re looking for the punch line, they’re looking for the joke and for those funny guys—and with the girls, it’s a different story.”

As part of the ABC Family campaign around the Huge premiere, Blonsky shares her own words to live by: “Living huge is being yourself. You only get one life, so enjoy it. Just have fun. Live and let live. That’s my motto.”
Q&A: Nikki Blonsky’s Going ‘Huge’ : Poptimal.com: Pop-Culture Reviews From People Like You
NZ | Icon by Shelle
Old 06-25-2010, 06:36 PM
Elite Fan

Gosh, the positive press just keeps rolling in

‘Huge’ difference: Drama at fat camp - SignOnSanDiego.com

Quote:
‘Huge’ difference: Drama at fat camp
It’s real people who carry the weight on this new ABC Family series

BY KARLA PETERSON, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED JUNE 24, 2010 AT 10:10 P.M., UPDATED JUNE 25, 2010 AT MIDNIGHT

/ BRUCE BIRMELIN / ABC FAMILY

Will (Nikki Blonsky) uses her creativity and persuasion skills to coerce other campers to participate in “larping,” a sort of wizardry game, at camp in an upcoming (July 12) episode of “Huge,” on ABC Family.

DETAILS

“Huge”

When: 10 p.m. Monday

Where: ABC Family

3 1/2 stars

- ADAM ROSE / ABC FAMILY

Zander Eckhouse (left) guides Hayley Hasselhoff in an activity during the premiere episode of “Huge,” a drama about seven teens from different backgrounds attending a weigh-loss camp.

Perhaps the most remarkable thing about ABC Family’s new series “Huge” is how unremarkable its characters are allowed to be. And when you consider that this hourlong drama is about hefty teens spending the summer at fat camp, “unremarkable” is one of the most daring adjectives of all.

The slim number of overweight people featured on television these days get to be a few things, but ordinary isn’t usually one of them.

On competition shows like “The Biggest Loser” or “Dance Your (Bleep) Off,” they get to be sweaty and inspirational, sweaty and evil, or lazy and eliminated. And if they are fictional characters like “Glee” firecracker Mercedes Jones (Amber Riley) or “Drop Dead Diva” heroine Jane Bingum (Brooke Elliott), they get to be super-sassy, extra-funny and really inspiring.

Like many other TV minorities, plus-sized people don’t usually have the luxury of being as humanly flawed as everybody else. But “Huge” takes big steps in that direction, and in the process, it gives us one of the best, most emotionally satisfying shows of the summer.

Based on the book by Sasha Paley and produced by Winnie Holzman (“My So-Called Life” and “Wicked”) and her daughter Savannah Dooley, “Huge” is set at Camp Victory, a weight-loss camp for teens. Monday’s debut episode kicks off with the first-day of the summer session, where we get the first sign that “Huge” isn’t about to make saints or sinners of anyone.

“Can we, like, take a moment and ponder how sick this is?” says a surly girl as she watches everyone else line up for the weigh-in and ceremonial “before” swimsuit photo. Meet Willamina, a mouthy outsider played by “Hairspray” star Nikki Blonsky with no trace of Tracy Turnblad’s pep or grace. Willamina (or Will) is a budding feminist who is happy with her size and resents her parents for making her feel bad about her plus-sized self. So she plans on staying plus sized, just out of spite.

“This could be my summer to gain,” Will says brightly to a fellow camper. “I feel like inside me there’s an even fatter person just trying to get out.”

For Will, fat is both a badge of honor and an act of rebellion. For the shy Becca (the wonderful Raven Goodwin from “Lovely and Amazing”), it’s a comfort and a curse. For camp Queen Bee Chloe (Ashley Holliday), it’s just a hassle, like a chipped nail or a dead cell-phone battery. And for lovely newcomer Amber (David Hasselhoff’s daughter Hayley), Camp Victory turns out to be the best thing ever.

Here, the curvy Amber qualifies as a hot chick, not a chunky girl who has been on a diet since she was 10. Watching Amber adjust to her sudden regular-girl popularity is both liberating and bittersweet. Liberating because plus-sized girls are seldom an object of TV desire, and bittersweet because, well, why is that?

Since fat tends to be such a female issue, it is refreshing to see that the “Huge” cast includes guys, too. Ari Stidham makes a terrific first impression as Ian, the wistful musician who carries a torch for Amber. And Stefan Van Ray has a befuddled charm as an athlete who can’t figure out who he is when he’s not on the field.

The characters in “Huge” are funny and irritating and self-conscious and smart. They want to hook up and act out and make their parents pay for perceived sins. So while its collection of “Breakfast Club” archetypes — power chick, weirdo outsider, bruised jock — may look conventional, “Huge” feels daring. Like “Biggest Loser” and “Dance Your (Bleep) Off,” “Huge” is populated almost entirely by overweight characters, but even as they struggle with their size, there is more to their lives than losing weight. They are people first and overweight people second, and when has television ever given us the likes of that?

It hasn’t, at least not on this scale. And getting viewers, particularly ABC Family’s image-conscious teen viewers, to warm up to a show where almost no one is skinny and conventionally attractive will be a challenge. After all, the heroine of “The Secret Life of the American Teenager” was hefty only because she got pregnant at band camp, and she still ended up with some cute guys in her life.

With its deft, quippy dialogue, effortless acting and deep empathy for the hardships of growing up (even for grown-ups), this new series is a treat for viewers of all ages and body types. Weight may be all about numbers, but “Huge” is dedicated to the infinite possibilities of being human. And yes, that’s huge.
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 AM
Fan Forum Hero

That's awesome

Thread is dead

Have fun updating the OP Mel
Old 06-27-2010, 10:47 PM
Elite Fan

^jerkface

new thread
NZ | Icon by Shelle