Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2021, 08:19 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hope your dad is ok.

Yea, there is no commandment in stone that says it has to be Tuesday. Ir that it has to be this week's topic if you want to do an older one.

Ot that it has to be 10.

Vic, I like your quotes and will comment more tomorrow.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Vic, I like your quotes and will comment more tomorrow.
thanks
Old 05-27-2021, 11:26 AM
Master Fan

May 25: Book Quotes that Fit X Theme. I chose overcoming adversity/difficulty, in its broadest sense.
Some quotes are quite literal, other are more symbolic, but I hope they all make sense, even if you haven't read the book.
1. "My master had power and law on his side; I had a determined will. There is might in each."
- Harriet Jacobs, Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl

2. "I knew that if I allowed fear to overtake me, my journey was doomed. Fear, to a great extent, is born of a story we tell ourselves, and so I chose to tell myself a different story from the one women are told. I decided I was safe. I was strong. I was brave. Nothing could vanquish me."
- Cheryl Strayed, Wild

3. "My life was narrated for me by others. Their voices were forceful, emphatic, absolute. It had never occurred to me that my voice might be as strong as theirs."
- Tara Westover, Educated

4. "...things get broken, and sometimes they get repaired, and in most cases, you realize that no matter what gets damaged, life rearranges itself to compensate for your loss, sometimes wonderfully."
- Hanya Yanagihara, A Little Life

5. "Scared is what you are feeling. Brave is what you are doing."
- Emma Donoghue, Room

6. "It's kinda like how we have to do with ourselves. Get rid of the things that don't do us any good. If it won't help the rose grow, you've gotta let it go."
- Angie Thomas, Concrete Rose (this one sounds simple, but it's so beautiful in the context of the story)

7. “In the end, what matters is this: I survived.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine

8. “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.”
― J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

9. “You go on. You set one foot in front of the other, and if a thin voice cries out, somewhere behind you, you pretend not to hear, and keep going.”
― Geraldine Brooks, March

10. “So, I guess we are who we are for alot of reasons. And maybe we'll never know most of them. But even if we don't have the power to choose where we come from, we can still choose where we go from there. We can still do things. And we can try to feel okay about them.”
― Stephen Chbosky, The Perks of Being a Wallflower

And a bonus one that is more about loving yourself, even if you've been through a lot, the one in my signature:
“You are your best thing”
― Toni Morrison, Beloved

Last edited by Ankatje; 05-27-2021 at 12:52 PM
Old 05-27-2021, 06:26 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Great collection on quotes. And I like that we chose different topics.
Old 05-28-2021, 03:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

June 1st is a "freebie". Maybe I will get to do that one.
Old 05-28-2021, 06:33 PM
Fan Forum Legend

I was thinking of making a list that day of favorite characters
Old 05-29-2021, 12:00 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
Great collection on quotes. And I like that we chose different topics.
Thanks! Me too, cool to see such different things. I really like your selection as well!
Old 05-29-2021, 12:34 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Thanks
I had to include the classic P&P quote.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:36 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
"Scared is what you are feeling. Brave is what you are doing."
- Emma Donoghue, Room
I read that book and love that quote.

Quote:
“Whether love of friend, love of country, love of God, or even love of enemy—love reveals to us the truly miraculous nature of the human spirit.”
― Ruta Sepetys, Between Shades of Gray
That's a beautiful quote.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:29 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ruta has a great way with words. She packs a lot of emotion into her short sentences.
Old 05-31-2021, 02:15 PM
Fan Forum Star

June 1: Freebie (choose any past topic, or come up with your own)

I am going to do a past topic I missed: August 18: Books that Should be Adapted into Netflix Shows

1) Red Rising by Pierce Brown- this needs to be an epic, R rated, multiple season, space saga. We keep getting teased about a show and then - nothing.

2) Woodwalker by Emily B. Martin. The world building and pacing is very well done. It was easy to get into the world and understand the politics, religions, customs, and history. And it is centered around female leaders.

3) Alive by Scott Sigler. A space mystery that will keep you guessing the whole season.

4) Lightless by C.A. Higgins. Beware of A.I. I very much enjoyed this sci-fi story. The characters really got to me and made me think. It was hard to side with anyone. There are no clear heroes. Everyone has a dark side so it was like picking the lesser of evils. I felt like a detective.

5) Foundryside by Robert Jackson Bennett. The action is a page turner. Reading those scenes was easy to picture in my head. I can so see this becoming a TV series or movie. I also just want to see how they personify the characters of the inanimate objects on screen, like Clef.

Ok that was a lot of Science Fiction. Here some different categories.

6) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. This multi-season epic fantasy would be a FEAST for the eyes.

7) The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys. Get out the tissues because this is a part of history not well known and that's a tragedy in itself. I wish more people knew about this and a TV series would bring it to the masses. Plus, there's a love story.

8) The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. If you love Outlander and want more Scottish love stories, look no further.

9) The Glass Hotel by Emily St. John Mandel. A good contemporary mystery to keep you guessing all season long.

10) More News Tomorrow by Susan Richards Shreve. It's an interesting murder mystery and I think it would make a good drama series on any popular streaming service.
Old 05-31-2021, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Uh oh! Tomorrow is Tuesday again.
Old 05-31-2021, 05:10 PM
Fan Forum Star

Indeed it is.
Old 05-31-2021, 06:39 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
1) Red Rising by Pierce Brown- this needs to be an epic, R rated, multiple season, space saga. We keep getting teased about a show and then - nothing.
It is so, so hard for things to get adapted. But it needs to not be hampered by networks that would want to censor it

Quote:
7) The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys. Get out the tissues because this is a part of history not well known and that's a tragedy in itself. I wish more people knew about this and a TV series would bring it to the masses. Plus, there's a love story.
Yes

Quote:
8) The Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley. If you love Outlander and want more Scottish love stories, look no further.
Plus it had the sequel to add to it.

Quote:
6) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. This multi-season epic fantasy would be a FEAST for the eyes.
I'd love to see this made, but I also have such a specific cast that not seeing them chosen would piss me off
Old 06-01-2021, 05:56 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Ok, I am doing my Favorite Characters

1. Firebird trilogy - Paul Markov & Maugerite Cane, the awkward scientist and the painter who travel the multi-verse

2. The Secret History Henry Winter - the academic genius & mastermind who manipulates his friends

3. Harry Potter series - It is difficult to narrow this down to only two characters at most, but I will choose Harry, one of my favorite literary heroes, and Hermione because I wish I was her

4. Little Women - Jo March, the reason I like writing stories. Amy because I feel like I am kind of like her and she gets a bad rap.

5. Pride & Prejudice - Elizabeth Bennet - speaks her mind and doesn't settle

6. Red Rising saga - Sevro, the crazy goblin and Darrow, the hero.

7. Count of Monte Cristo - Edmond Dantes probably the character with the biggest journey

8. The Book Thief - Liesel, the girl who charmed Death. Shout out to Rudy too!

9. (The Winternight Trilogy - I just realized Vasilisa is like Liesel because they both charmed Death. I also like her monk brother, Sasha. He knows his sister is considered a witch but he still loves her and helps her

10. Shadow of Night (All Souls #2) - Gallowglass - he's funny

I couldn't narrow down to just 10 so I also have

Jane from My Lady Jane - she loves books!

Marco & Celia from The Night Circus - like their love story

John Proctor from The Crucible he is brave and doesn't compromise himself when a way to escape death presents itself. It is my name!!

all the Ruta books - particularly Adrius from Between Shades of Gray, Florian and Emilia in Salt to the Sea , and Daniel in Fountains of Silence