Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2016, 06:41 AM
Fan Forum Star

Standalone Books #1: Which standalone books have you read lately?

Standalone book discussion.

I'm reading this:

Quote:
A year after one of their identical twin daughters, Lydia, dies in an accident, Angus and Sarah Moorcraft move to the tiny Scottish island Angus inherited from his grandmother, hoping to put together the pieces of their shattered lives.

But when their surviving daughter, Kirstie, claims they have mistaken her identity—that she, in fact, is Lydia—their world comes crashing down once again.

As winter encroaches, Angus is forced to travel away from the island for work, Sarah is feeling isolated, and Kirstie (or is it Lydia?) is growing more disturbed. When a violent storm leaves Sarah and her daughter stranded, Sarah finds herself tortured by the past—what really happened on that fateful day one of her daughters died?
I'm just started it, but so far it's very intriguing.
Stay to the Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It looks interesting from the name and the cover alone.

I have to remember to check it out.

April
Drunk On You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah. I just finished it. Damn, that was pretty mind-blowing

It's told from the parent's POV, the wife, Sarah, and the husband, Angus. The epilogue, I had to read twice to go over what was revealed.

Pretty great read

So basically they were a happy family until one night Sarah hears a scream from her parents' place and notices one of the twins had fallen from the balcony, the other one screaming.
It takes place 14 months later, as the events of that night get explained throughout the story to the point where Sarah starts to wonder just what really happened on that fatal night.... especially when their daughter, Kirsty tells her that, why is she calling her Kirstie, when she is Lydia. Kirstie died, not her. This propels a lot of confusion because Sarah couldn't tell the twins apart, considering on that day they were dressed the same, had the same haircut, everything.

It was very interesting, but wouldn't you think there would be something that distinguished one from the other? A mark or a scar or tone of voice.

As the story goes on, it becomes even more creepier, and I couldn't flip the pages faster! I read the last half of the book in a matter of hours.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Addicted Fan

Oooh, sounds really cool. I'll have to check it out!

The last standalone I've read was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak which was an amazing book that I recommend for anyone.

I realized I don't read that many standalones. I've maybe read 5 this year, though I'm planning to read more. I just bought Me Before You by Jojo Moyes. I've heard great things about it, so I'm looking forward to it.

I amar prestar aen… Han mathon ne nen…
Han mathon ne chae… A han noston ned gwilith.
Karom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I think you may have to send me that one. That may be my next read.

April
Old 06-14-2016, 06:11 AM
Fan Forum Star

Sent
Old 06-15-2016, 02:04 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk On You (View Post)
It looks interesting from the name and the cover alone.
That's what I was thinking. What a stunning cover

And the synopsis sounds great as well.

Will add to my TBR shelf.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:12 AM
Fan Forum Star

Hope you guys enjoy it! I have been into thrillers recently.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I like the overall plot of the story so far. Not really sure of the writing style.

I was a little turned off when the mother realizes or thinks it's the twin she thought had died. Yes I know some do have favorites, but she seems so happy that it's that one and the one she thought survived is dead. Like that it doesn't bother her the one she thought was alive is now dead. I feel like there is so much more to the story. I'm trying to pick out clues but I have no theories.

Here's 2 more books that GR showed when looking at the Ice Twins

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...e-night-sister
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...-cold-cold-sea

April
Old 06-16-2016, 10:24 PM
Fan Forum Star

When you say writing style, what do you mean?

I'm not what I thought about her reaction when she thinks its one twin over the other. I think maybe she doesn't want to think too much about Kirstie who she thought was alive, she now believes is dead. It is obvious she did prefer Lydia over Kirstie, but I do believe she loved them both nonetheless.
Old 06-17-2016, 10:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Finished it.

I mean the style of writing. I think it's more because I'm not used to how English say certain things and words. The ending..didn't really see that one coming. So she was just ?

So glad the dog didn't die.

April
Old 06-18-2016, 06:22 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah, I was glad the dog survived too, I wasn't sure there for a moment.

The reveal about Sarah I didn't see coming. About her lost memories and just what happened to lead up toward that fatal accident.
In terms of her fate, it was a bit confusing as it was never clear what did happen after they left the cottage that wild night. How did she venture off alone in the water and drown? And why alone? Did she miss her other child that she couldn't go on?

And then there was the reveal about the twin thing.

I was a bit confused on how the one twin that died, was she there in spirit with her sister, or did like Angus say, because he told her that she was still around make her act like her?
Old 06-18-2016, 10:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I was a tad bit confused ok.

I believe with Sarah I think she went crazy. In the letter from her doctor he said if she ever regained or someone told her about what really happened she would become suicidal. I think she just snapped. When the one twin was in the room with her, I think she was imagining things. I think she had walked in the water holding one of the girl's coats. Because they said they found Sarah holding on to the coat. I think she meant to kill herself and the surviving twin to join the dead one.

Now it was said that the island was close to the spirit world. They said the dog never acted right on the island. And usually animals are sensitive to that sort of thing. I think the surviving twin would actually see her dead sister and she wanted revenge because she was pushed off.

I feel there's a couple of things that didn't add up in the end or why Angus lied. After Sarah found out he slept with her best friend he told her it was just once, but in one of his pov I believe he said it was a few times. I think there were a few other things but I don't remember what they were.

April
Old 06-19-2016, 07:57 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yes, that makes sense She was found holding that jacket, but she didn't get a chance to kill the surviving twin since Angus found her? At first I thought he was going to be the one that died; so I was a little shocked that the epilogue was his POV and he was the single parent, before it mentions Sarah, I was under the assumption that Angus had died during the storm.
I had to go back and re-read the epilogue. But I'm glad they moved to the mainland and away from the island. They seemed to be in a better place after that.

Didn't the dog act strangely before they moved? when it acted a certain way to the twin that it would of the dead twin?

Given the information we discovered about Sarah, I think her frame of mind and narration might be a little unreliable, so while she tells us it was one time, maybe that was something she told herself; or even could be that Angus told her to not to make her crack even more.

I read and finished this book as well, I've read a few of her books, some of which are being adapted.

Quote:
Alice Love is twenty-nine, crazy about her husband, and pregnant with her first child.

So imagine Alice’s surprise when she comes to on the floor of a gym and is whisked off to the hospital where she discovers the honeymoon is truly over — she’s getting divorced, she has three kids and she’s actually 39 years old. Alice must reconstruct the events of a lost decade, and find out whether it’s possible to reconstruct her life at the same time. She has to figure out why her sister hardly talks to her, and how is it that she’s become one of those super skinny moms with really expensive clothes.

Ultimately, Alice must discover whether forgetting is a blessing or a curse, and whether it’s possible to start over.

Last edited by Stay to the Lights; 06-19-2016 at 08:04 AM
Old 06-19-2016, 10:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

It did seemed like Angus was the one to die.

He didn't actually find her. A bunch of the local guys found her the next day. Angus thought he saw Sarah and one of the twins walking by him. But then again it was hard to see and he was drunk.

That was another thing I didn't particularly like. How he was always drinking/drunk all the time. I understand why he would want to drink...but...

The dog was acting towards the surviving twin like it did to the one that had died. But they had said it was common for dogs to do that. But on the island they said the dog never wanted to go outside or run around, etc.

April
Reply   Post New Thread