Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2003, 05:13 AM
Master Fan

I got a couple of Madeline Hunter books from the library. I can't remember the title of the one I'm reading now. It's okay. I really, really need to look up Julia Quinn.
Old 10-05-2003, 09:38 AM
New Fan

Quote:
Who are your top three Romance Novelists?
Julie Garwood - Have read all of her romances (haven't read Mercy or Killjoy yet but I'm sure they are great) and she is the reason I kept reading romances.
Stephanie Laurens - I'm currently reading her books. Love the Bar Cynster Series.
Karen Ranney - Love her stories on the MacAllisters (spelling?)

[ 10-05-2003: Message edited Scandal_7803 ]
Old 10-05-2003, 04:31 PM
Master Fan

Soz, yeah, the Bridgerton siblings are real fun together, and that's what I love the most about that series. I loved many series about siblings, like the Montgomery series by Jude Devereaux or the Malory series by Johanna Lindsay. And they all got along very well, with all the teasing among family members. The Bridgerton has to be my favourite family though, because they're so fun and easygoing (especially Colin *coughcough*). [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Penelope Williamson and Candice Proctor, huh? That's great choice. As you already know, I love Penelope Williamson, and it sucks that your library has been stolen the book you wanted! I have to admit that it's not my favourite by Williamson by far, but the story was worth reading. I can't wait for you to be done with Heart of the West! I've only read one book by Candice Proctor, called The Last Knight, and it was good. I have three others to read now.

You're very welcome for Victoria Alexander. I loved
The Wedding Bargain by her. It was just like Julia Quinn's style (well actually since I've read Alexander before Quinn, I first thought that the latter had the same style than the former [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] ) : funny, witty and angsty. Now I've started the Shelton series, it looks good so far.

Onionroach I've never read a book by Madeline Hunter, and since many have mentioned her name, maybe I should try one [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
oh hehe, Julia Quinn again [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] She should come over this thread, she'd be delighted to have her name mentioned so often.

Scandal_7803 welcome here [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] I love Julie Garwood books too. I know that I should try some Stephanie Laurens because they all say that fans of Julia Quinn and Victoria Alexander will love her novels.

Anne
Old 10-15-2003, 04:52 AM
Master Fan

Where is everybody? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]
Old 10-15-2003, 05:17 AM
Master Fan

I both the anthology, Once Upon a Midnight. I have the original 3 but have found out that I missed one, Once Upon a Rose so now I have to find that one. I actually like NR's story in Midnight. I've found in the past few that her stories were okay, but this story, I really like.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:24 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I've been reading fantasy lately, so I didn't have much to say. Although most of the fantasy and SF I read has romantic aspects.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:50 PM
Master Fan

It's good to see you guys posting here [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I thought everyone has deserted the thread...

Onionroach is that Nora Roberts' works? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Soz I like fantasy too. And romantic aspects in fantasy can be really good. I love every bits of romance in the books The Lord of the Ring, while that aspect only appeared very little.

Anne
Old 10-15-2003, 10:05 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by StellaSlight:
<STRONG>Soz I like fantasy too. And romantic aspects in fantasy can be really good. I love every bits of romance in the books The Lord of the Ring, while that aspect only appeared very little.
Anne</STRONG>
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I'm glad to see I'm not the only romantic fantasy fan around. I'm reading Lois McMaster Bujold's Paladin of Souls now and while I like everything about the book, the hint of romance got me hooked. Bujold isn't very explicit or anything, but this book sizzles nonetheless (IMO, anyway). After this book, I'll get back to Heart of the West, which I postponed because the Bujold was in at the library and it's only a 7 day loan, whereas the Williamson book I can renew as often as I need to.
Old 10-16-2003, 05:01 AM
Master Fan

I don't know Bujold, but you certainly have me interested now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2003, 05:15 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>
Onionroach is that Nora Roberts' works? [img]smilies/look.gif[/img]

Anne</STRONG>
It's a series of anthologies with the same authors: Nora Roberts, Jill Gregory, Ruth Ryan Langan, and Marianne Willman. I like the series. They're fantastical and cute. There are 6 books so far, unless another has been released that I wasn't aware of. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>I don't know Bujold, but you certainly have me interested now [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Several of Bujold's books combine either science fiction and romance or fantasy and romance. I'd say the most romantic ones are The Curse of Chalion and The Paladin of Souls from her Chalion (fantasy) series and Shards of Honor, Komarr, and A Civil Campaign from her Vorkosigan (science fiction) series. Things get pretty complicated with her Vorkosigan series because the older editions of the books are out of print and new omnibus editions of two or three books in one are coming out now. Shards is in the omnibus Cordelia's Honor and it's best to start the series there. And Komarr and A Civil Campaign might be best to read in order in the series.

Also, I'm really looking forward to the science fiction/fantasy/romance anthology Irresistible Forces, which will be coming out in February and is edited by my other favorite romantic SFF writer, Catherine Asaro. There will be a Bujold story in it too (along with a Jennifer Roberson story) and romance authors Mary Jo Putney, Jo Beverley, and Deb Stover all have stories in it as well. Asaro and Bujold are really hoping that they can attract a lot of romance fans to their previous work with this anthology.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:59 PM
jjt
Master Fan

Just finished the JD Robb: Imitation in death book. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Love this series.
Old 10-19-2003, 01:44 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by jjt:
<STRONG>Just finished the JD Robb: Imitation in death book. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Love this series.</STRONG>
I loved Imitation in Death! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I was worried that Robb was losing her touch after Purity and Portrait came across as being a bit flat and impersonal. But IMO, Imitation is a solid writing effort all around. I really like that she addressed topics such as Nadine's preferential treatment and Peabody's career goals...and tied up threads involving Mira's motherly affection and Eve's emerging memories. The investigation too, was top notch detective work. Good stuff.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:58 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I was looking at Julia Quinn's web site today and the titles for her sixth Bridgerton book and her next Lady Whistledown anthology have both been announced. Francesca Bridgerton's book is called When He Was Wicked and it is due in the summer of 2004 and the Lady Whistledown book (which will have the same authors in it as the first one) is Lady Whistledown Strikes Back and will come out in May of 2004. Quinn also says in her FAQs that Hyacinth's story is due after Francesca's, so Gregory's will be last.

I recently made a book trade for An Offer from a Gentleman, so I plan to read that and To Sir Phillip, With Love soon so I will be all caught up on the Bridgertons until When He Was Wicked comes out. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Finally, I'm reading Catherine Asaro's Skyfall and the romance is quite satifying in it. As was the case with Bujold's Paladin of Souls, which I absolutely loved! I'm more in the mood for fantasy and SF/ romance crossovers right now than for regular romances.
Old 11-09-2003, 11:48 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

[img]smilies/look.gif[/img] Where'd everybody go?

I'm back to reading Heart of the West, which I had to postpone to read the Bujold and Asaro books, plus I was getting a bit of romance burnout.

I'll be reading Sunshine by Robin McKinley next, which is another fantasy/romance crossover.

I bought another Julia Quinn related book recently, Where's My Hero? It's an anthology with Lisa Kleypas and Kinley MacGregor stories too. And I might be making a trade for Quinn's Romancing Mister Bridgerton. [img]smilies/pinkie.gif[/img] I really hope this trade goes through because I so want that book. I'll probably have another Quinn reading marathon soon.