Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2003, 05:12 PM
Total Fan

Top Three Authors
Lynn Kurland
Julie Garwood
Can't think of one at the moment...

Historical or Contemporary
Definitely historical, pre 15th century especially.

And just because I love this book so much, 'This is All I Ask' by Lynn Kurland. If you like Historical and haven't read it...do so. It's wonderful.
Old 07-29-2003, 12:37 PM
Master Fan

Hi Katis.
Nice to have another Lynn Kurland fan. This author was so warmly recommended to me that I bought four books by her, and I just received them. I guess the one you mentioned will be the next in my to-read-list.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:12 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Katis:
<STRONG>
And just because I love this book so much, 'This is All I Ask' by Lynn Kurland. If you like Historical and haven't read it...do so. It's wonderful.</STRONG>
Hey! [img]smilies/wave.gif[/img] I, too, recommended this book. I think you recommended it to me a while back. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Passionate Fan

Has anyone here tried the Deadly books by Brenda Joyce? I'm reading Deadly Desire right now and absolutely lovin it. It's a blend of turn of the century mystery and romance. I don't normally read historical romance or amateur sleuth mysteries...but this one has an irresistable charm to it. Will probably end up hunting down the other books in the series. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Oh, and someone requested paranormal romance recommendations a while back? Try Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Greek gods, sexy romance and plenty of humour all in a contemporary setting.

tSG
Old 07-29-2003, 07:21 PM
Total Fan

I hope you enjoy it, Stella. I just adore it.

I'm sure I did,onion. I pretty much do to anyone that reads romances [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2003, 08:34 PM
jjt
Master Fan

I picked up a book in a used book store a while back called Dangerous Magic. It's 15 short stories of fantasy and magic. Billed as "Original tales of magic-crossed lovers, and the complications that occur when ghosts, vampires, elves, and their kin become involved in mortal affairs."

I haven't had a chance to read it yet .. but I'm looking forward to starting it .. anyone on thread read it?
Old 07-30-2003, 04:08 AM
Master Fan

tSG, I'll have to look that up. It sounds interesting.

jjt, that too sounds interesting. I love anthologies. Collect them, you could say.

Has any one read the Once Upon a anthologies with Nora Roberts?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:30 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by thescoobygang:
<STRONG>
Oh, and someone requested paranormal romance recommendations a while back? Try Fantasy Lover by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Greek gods, sexy romance and plenty of humour all in a contemporary setting.

tSG</STRONG>

That was me, and I've read that, Night Pleasures and Night Embrace by her. I am looking forward to her upcoming book, Dance With the Devil, which is the Dark-Hunter Zarek's story. The one I'm really waiting on, though, is Acheron's story. Hot damn, I'm in love with him. Maybe as a bonus she'll give a novel with Nick, the ever loyal Squire.

The Dark-Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon has Vampires, Greek gods and goddesses, werewolves and other cool paranormal stuff. I really enjoy the originality of the series. Plus, the banter is quite endearing and hilarious. The only downside Kenyon's writing has is that sometimes it tends to be a bit jumpy and sloppy. But the plot itself is interesting enough to overlook those technicalities.

And yay to Sookie Stackhouse fans! The next book - Dead to the World is due out May 2004. In it - spoiler -
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Sookie makes an unusual New Year's resolution, then has to take care of an amnesiac Eric. This plot has me so excited!
"...You looked so lovely in your jean skirt, mini-frock ensemble. So lovely that it made me forget that I am a horrible murderer and unholy creature of the night for 10 entirraah minutes. You are my miracle. xo Bill."
P.S. Eric is Evil."
--io9.com
Old 07-30-2003, 11:27 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by -Hobbes-:
<STRONG>
And yay to Sookie Stackhouse fans! The next book - Dead to the World is due out May 2004. In it - spoiler -
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Sookie makes an unusual New Year's resolution, then has to take care of an amnesiac Eric. This plot has me so excited!</STRONG>
SQUEEE! [img]smilies/blinkie.gif[/img] I can't wait. My little shipper heart is jumping for joy! Thanks for the info -Hobbes-. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

StellaSlight, thanks for the compliment. I really love making those avies. [img]smilies/love.gif[/img] And I'm re-reading Heart of the West. I'd almost forgotten how yummy Rafferty was. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img]

-- Butterflies and Hurricanes ~ Muse
Old 07-31-2003, 04:43 AM
Master Fan

I was in a reading kick yesterday and read Running Scared by Elizabeth Lowell and One Night of Scandal by Teresa Medieros. They were both good. The suspense part of Running Scared didn't make too much logical sense to me, but I liked the characters and I got a glimpse of Lawe Donovan. I'm still waiting on a book about him and his twin. One Night of Scandal was good. It has Lottie from A Kiss To Remember as the main character. You also see the rest of the gang.
Old 08-01-2003, 03:45 PM
Dedicated Fan

I recently read a book by Penelope Williamson called "The Outsider." It is about a widowed Amish woman who takes a wounded gunfighter into her home (circa Old West), but manages to avoid most of the cliches that find their way into this type of storyline. The whold book is like a song, lyrical and full of meaning. I really recommend it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
"...And in they'd come entering a palace, like in a dream, like in heaven. Maybe you had worries and problems out there, but once you came through those doors, they didn't matter anymore. And you know why? Chaplin, that's why. And Keaton and Lloyd. Garbo, Gable, and Lombard, and Jimmy Stewart and Jimmy Cagney. Fred and Ginger. They were gods. And they lived up there. That was Olympus..."
-The Majestic
Old 08-01-2003, 10:02 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Randa Beth:
<STRONG>I recently read a book by Penelope Williamson called "The Outsider." It is about a widowed Amish woman who takes a wounded gunfighter into her home (circa Old West), but manages to avoid most of the cliches that find their way into this type of storyline. The whold book is like a song, lyrical and full of meaning. I really recommend it [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]</STRONG>

I love that one! If it's your first Penelope Williamson, you did well choosing this one. And since you loved it, I recommend you another western story by that wonderful author. It's called Heart of the West, and it's really worth it. It's the story of a woman from high society who fled Boston and her society to live in Montana after her marriage with a cow-boy. That's great story with lots of great characters.

Doggie, yay, more and more Penelope fans! You're re-reading Heart of the West? [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] Rafferty has always been of my favourite male characters. And you're right, he's so yummy [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Your avatars are really good. The current one you have is nice!
Old 08-01-2003, 10:17 PM
Dedicated Fan

Hi, fellow romance novel lovers!

I noticed someone said they'd read 'Cane River'. We read that last year in my book club. It was fantastic!

My favorite romance novelists:

Cynthia Freeman ('The Last Princess' is my absolute favorite book ever)
Julie Garwood
Nora Roberts

Historical/Contemporary?:
Both. I love Julie Garwood's historical stuff, but I read mostly contemporary. Wow, I haven't read a good romance novel in I don't know how long. Anyone have a really great suggestion?

~P.L.
Old 08-02-2003, 04:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by PsychoLizzie:
<STRONG> Wow, I haven't read a good romance novel in I don't know how long. Anyone have a really great suggestion?

~P.L.</STRONG>
Well, the last two authors that people have raved about around here are Julia Quinn and Penelope Williamson. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I've only read the latter and I like her. I'm hoping the read the first one soon.
Old 08-02-2003, 03:25 PM
Dedicated Fan

I read Heart of the West a long time ago, and I remember very little about it. I was actually planning on reading it again pretty soon, but I picked up another book by Williamson called Wild Yearning. Was it very good?
Has anyone seen the movie adaptation of The Outsider with Tim Daly? I almost fell in love with Johnny [img]smilies/blush.gif[/img].
"...And in they'd come entering a palace, like in a dream, like in heaven. Maybe you had worries and problems out there, but once you came through those doors, they didn't matter anymore. And you know why? Chaplin, that's why. And Keaton and Lloyd. Garbo, Gable, and Lombard, and Jimmy Stewart and Jimmy Cagney. Fred and Ginger. They were gods. And they lived up there. That was Olympus..."
-The Majestic
Closed Thread   Post New Thread