Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2003, 11:40 PM
Part-Time Fan

for me it was catcher in the rye. some parts were good but in whole i couldn't figure out what the big deal was. i had to read it for english class in high school and i just didn't like it. maybe b/c i thought the class was joke but i just wasn't into it.
Old 06-05-2003, 03:47 AM
Extreme Fan

Harry Potter *runs away*
Old 06-05-2003, 07:01 PM
Elite Fan

The Bridges of Madison County. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Old 06-05-2003, 07:36 PM
Loyal Fan

I read the first Harry Potter book and I found it dull and unimaginative. Plus it was so clearly aimed at young kids, all that stupid stuff with that family Harry was staying with wtf? I could predict what was going to happen so easily. Very overrated IMO.

CLICK ME
Old 06-06-2003, 03:33 AM
Passionate Fan

Yeah I'd go with Catcher in the Rye as well. Everyone was going on about how amazing it is but when I read it..just some guy rambling.

Sawyer/Sun | Jack/Sun | Fearless Soul | Seeker |
Old 06-06-2003, 05:13 AM
Obsessed Fan

Maybe it's like the overrated movies: because it leaves you depressed and sometimes even confused, it's an instant classic. Bronte, baby. Sister Emily's got some serious issues with the world. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]

Til further notice
I'm in between
From where I'm standing
My grass is green
Old 06-06-2003, 10:13 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
The Corrections - apparently one of the best books of 2001 and a 'literary masterpiece' - which I thoroughly hated. I loathe the author as well.
I completely agree with you on this one. I got about 4/5 of the way through it and could not finish it for anything. I believe it was in the running for a Pulitzer.

It's when you cry just a little, but you laugh in the middle that you've made it. -Tonight, Not Again
Old 06-07-2003, 12:02 AM
Loyal Fan

I agree that White Oleander is an overrated book! People can't believe that I didn't like the book.
Old 06-07-2003, 03:59 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eowyn_Evenstar:
<STRONG>Yeah I'd go with Catcher in the Rye as well. Everyone was going on about how amazing it is but when I read it..just some guy rambling.</STRONG>
when i read that book i either figured that i was missing something *really* deep or that everyone said it was great because everyone else said it was great.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:09 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by onionroach:
<STRONG>Harry Potter and LOTR. I like them both, but they're not that great.</STRONG>
I so agree, they're not like the best books, they are way overated, there are much better underated books ::nods::
Old 06-08-2003, 12:43 AM
Fan Forum Legend

The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway. I hated that book. There was like 30 pages about the guy catching a fish. everyone says this book is a classic but i think it's horrible.

The Great Gatsby - the book was okay. It was kind of slow. I thought there was only one really good chapter and that was at the end.
Old 06-08-2003, 05:12 AM
Total Fan

In Harry Potter's defence, and maybe you don't want to read this. It's a kid's book. No, Book 1 isn't the most exciting book in the world and the writing's not exactly sopisticated - but give it a chance, by the time you're at book 4 you've got this amazing plot, and she does good things with details. i think J.K Rowling needs the 600 pages or so to get out all the ideas she's got, not 200 or so like the first books.

Overrated books i've read? To Kill a Mockingbird.
Proud Arrow #190 and Auror #208
Old 06-08-2003, 03:50 PM
Loyal Fan

I must admit Harry Potter books 1 and 2 are seriously overrated but by 3 and 4, especially 4, they're pretty amazing.
What I hated was 'Of Mice and Men.' That was a book with all surface and no depth. And most of the characters were cliches.
Old 06-08-2003, 07:04 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by OpheliaImmortal:
In Harry Potter's defence, and maybe you don't want to read this. It's a kid's book. No, Book 1 isn't the most exciting book in the world and the writing's not exactly sopisticated - but give it a chance, by the time you're at book 4 you've got this amazing plot
Well book one is generally the one being voted best book ever all the time. That is the only Harry Potter book I have read, and from what I can tell it's overrated. I'm not saying kids books can't be read by adults. I loved Alice in Wonderland, now that is a childrens classic that actually makes you think and contains so much philosophy in a wondefully imaginative and original tale. Or a childrens series I enjoyed and I would call a quality reading experience is the Narnia series. It is because I know kids books can be of a very high quality that I diss Harry Potter when people make out the books are all that. Admitedly they might be a victim of their own success, they weren't all that bad. The only reason I am saying I was so unnimpressed is because they are far from the great books that they are painted as. They really are nothing special IMO.

[ 06-08-2003: Message edited Frelling Tralk ]

CLICK ME
Old 06-09-2003, 04:21 AM
Total Fan

Well, I wish kids these days would read narnia or alice in wonderland but the truth is they've got a pretty crappy attention span, if something's making them read at all it's good (pretty sad state of affairs, i know).
Proud Arrow #190 and Auror #208
Closed Thread   Post New Thread