Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2003, 09:22 PM
Dedicated Fan

OVERATED BOOKS: Ok so I read it, now what's all the fuss about?

Read any over rated books lately, or any time for that matter?
And the day is as dark as the night is long

- U2
Old 05-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

I know I say this in almost every negative book thread, but Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey. I have no idea why so many people are raving about this book nor why it has won awards. The book is way too long, drawn out, and boring. Also, I'm no prude, but the sex scenes really squicked me.

Alien Taste by Wen Spencer. While it did keep me interested, the overall style reminded me so much of Laurell K. Hamilton that I felt it wasn't very original. I met Spencer after I read her book and it wasn't a good experience, so I might have downgraded the book even more afterwards, but I did have problems throughout the book to begin with.

[ 05-29-2003: Message edited Soz ]
Old 05-29-2003, 03:48 PM
Loyal Fan

Harry Potter. It's OK, but it's not that good.
Old 05-30-2003, 10:58 PM
Extreme Fan

She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb

I hated that book. I'm glad a lot of other people liked, but I hated it.
Old 05-31-2003, 04:11 PM
Master Fan

Harry Potter and LOTR. I like them both, but they're not that great.
Old 06-01-2003, 06:30 AM
Obsessed Fan

White Oleandar -Janet Fitch

Did not live up to expectations.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:47 PM
Addicted Fan

I agree with Harry Potter. Despite the storyline, I found the way it was written quite unimaginative, and I think many kids I know would have been bored by it. I can't believe how much hype the books have got, and how much it's caught on over the last few years. I don't think the Harry Potter stories compare to the kids books of years ago, like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. But then again they're very different so it's probably unfair to compare them. Anyway, I didn't find anything special about Harry Potter.
I can ride you at a gallop till your legs buckle and your eyes roll up. I've got muscles you've never even dreamed of. I could squeeze you until you pop like warm champagne and you'd beg me to hurt you just a little bit more.
Old 06-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Obsessed Fan

I agree, Harry Potter is truly overrated.

I used to be schizo but now we're fine.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:34 PM
Extreme Fan

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. I really expected a great deal more based on the raves it got from some people I spoke with. Then again, I think I am always let down in that way with regard to books and/or movies that people highly recommend. I tend to never be quite as blown away by the movie's/book's "greatness" because I go in expecting too much based on rave reviews.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:47 PM
Addicted Fan

Most overrated books:

Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenanceby Pirsig
Stranger in a Strange Landby Heinlein
Wuthering Heights by Bronte
Old 06-03-2003, 02:12 AM
Loyal Fan

The Corrections - apparently one of the best books of 2001 and a 'literary masterpiece' - which I thoroughly hated. I loathe the author as well.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Passionate Fan

I agree with choice of Harry Potter as well. It was no where near as amazing as people were telling me it was. It was a major let down. I found it to be quite boring, and I had to force myself to finish it.

-- Butterflies and Hurricanes ~ Muse
Old 06-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

You know with the about the not liking Harry Potter thing. I swear I must have started book 1 four times before I really finished it. By starting it I mean getting to page 50 something too. Once I was started the rest of them blew by. I am trying to read them again before June 21, but I always have trouble re-reading books. Then I start to think of the bookshelf I still have of books waiting to be read...
Old 06-04-2003, 04:16 AM
Soz
Obsessed Fan

While I like the Harry Potter books, I also think they are over-rated. People act like they are the greatest books- or greatest young adult fantasy anyway- ever written and I just can't agree. I think it's great that they have gotten so many kids to read, but I hope those kids keep reading- and not just re-reading the Harry Potter books over and over.

Crossbow, I agree. I forgot to mention Stranger in a Strange Land. Maybe because I've heard some pretty harsh criticism of it too, I didn't think of it as over-rated (since other people actually hated it as much as I did). But for the people who love it and can't stop talking about how great it is, I'm sitting there thinking did we read the same book? [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2003, 03:15 PM
Master Fan

I confess that I've never read The Harry Potter series but yet I still don't understand all of the publicity it's garnering...
Closed Thread   Post New Thread