Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2010, 07:55 PM
Master Fan

I'd like to recommend The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

"When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his first name. His memory is blank. But he’s not alone. When the lift’s doors open, Thomas finds himself surrounded by kids who welcome him to the Glade—a large, open expanse surrounded by stone walls.

Just like Thomas, the Gladers don’t know why or how they got to the Glade. All they know is that every morning the stone doors to the maze that surrounds them have opened. Every night they’ve closed tight. And every 30 days a new boy has been delivered in the lift.

Thomas was expected. But the next day, a girl is sent up—the first girl to ever arrive in the Glade. And more surprising yet is the message she delivers.

Thomas might be more important than he could ever guess. If only he could unlock the dark secrets buried within his mind."

Icon by Periwinkles
Old 10-31-2010, 09:52 AM
Elite Fan

^ Me too
Old 10-31-2010, 01:59 PM
Elite Fan

hey guys!

ive been DYING to find a series similar to the Harry Potter one and I have no idea what would be good! I really just want a fantasy-type series of books [or if its just 1 book, thats fine too]. i dont like the star wars type, but i love those with wizards and magical worlds or wtvr. Ever since I finished the series, I've read quite a few different genres, but now I'm missing this one. I'm sad Harry Potter is over lol.
Old 10-31-2010, 03:56 PM
Elite Fan

Hey Shira

Two Middle-grade series come to my mind because they were even targeted as books for Harry Potter fans: The Gideon trilogy by Linda Buckley-Archer (not so much magic, but a boy and girl time-travel back to 18C England) and The Mysterious Benedict Society (not magic again, but follows four kids--two boys and two girls--and their adventures)

Or this YA series: The Hungry City Chronicles by Philip Reeve.

I personally loved each one for what it's worth
Old 10-31-2010, 04:14 PM
Elite Fan

oh good, i was gonna ask if you liked it haha!

and hey amy its been SOOOO long! thanks so much <3
Old 11-01-2010, 06:17 AM
Supreme Fan

I've been reading two books that I really love. I haven't finished either of them But I'm still going to recommend them because they're just great books and unless the ending is just horrible (which I don't think it will be) then I think everyone should read them. The first one is Trespass:A Novel by Rose Tremain.
Quote:
Two pairs of siblings and their twisted pasts converge in this gripping, dark novel from Orange Prize–winner Tremain (The Road Home). In the southern French Cévennes region, Audrun lives a peaceful if bitter life in a small bungalow a stone's throw from her family home. She's been cast out, either by inheritance or some terrible transgression; her drunken, spiteful brother, Aramon, who still resides there, hopes to sell the home to foreign tourists, an act that would further uproot Audrun. Meanwhile, Anthony Verey, a once-renowned London antiques dealer, having reached an existential precipice, descends on his sister, Veronica, who lives near the Cévennes with her lover, Kitty. As Anthony and Kitty quietly battle for Veronica's affections, Audrun and Aramon struggle with their history and land. Anthony wants a home in the region, hoping it will fill his void, and he joins the wave of foreigners hungrily circling the area. Soon, a series of rash decisions impacts all of their lives in brutal, unforgettable ways. Tremain renders this untamed area with haunting prose, but the affecting sense of dread she builds makes her tale at times unrelentingly grim.
This is just an awesome book. Really neat, flawed, interesting characters and it's fun how the author makes you really dislike some of them even though you really feel sorry for them. And it's a bit of a mystery and psychological thriller as well. It's a great read.

The second one is Skippy Dies by Paul Murray.
Quote:
Seabrook College is an all-boys Catholic prep school in contemporary Dublin, where the founding Fathers flounder under a new administration obsessed with the school's "brand" and teachers vacillate between fear and apathy when faced with rooms full of texting, hyper-tense, hormone-fueled boys. It's the boys--and one boy in particular--that give this raucous, tender novel its emotional kick. Daniel "Skippy" Juster is a breed apart from his friends, more sensitive than any of them, but never visibly reactive to the pressures that weigh heavily on him. The events that lead to his untimely (though tragicomic) death unfold scene by scene, in a chorus of perfectly executed moments that are powerful enough to make you laugh and weep at once. When you read Skippy Dies, you won't necessarily feel like a teenager again--and in fact, may realize you'd never want to--but you'll certainly appreciate how painful, exhilarating, and confusing it still is to grow up
This is another really good one. The story is fun and interesting and heartbreaking and even though it's a pretty hefty book, it's a real page turner and you really start to feel sorry for Skippy. It took me back to my high school days and some of the things that were going on for me and the feeling of being totally alone with certain issues as a kid.

Both of these books are really good, entertaining, interesting books. They aren't really common on this board since we all have a tendency to read YA, fantasy, or romance, but I'd suggest getting one of these if you're looking for something new or different from what you normally read.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Elite Fan

can i just say how much i LOVE this thread <3

i just bought 3 books yesterday, but as soon as im done reading them, im gonna look into some of the books mentioned here. i have such a hard time finding good books, you guys are awesome.

the last book i read was "Night" by Elie Wiesel and it is amazing, but extremely depressing and sickening at parts. I had to actually close the book at one point because it was just too much for me. Some of the details just make it all so unimaginable and makes you question how could all this have been real just 70 years ago. crazy.

I also loved the Lovely Bones. I read it before watching the movie and it is wayyyy better [as the books almost always are].

I also like light hearted, fun books like Something Borrowed and Something Blue and the Shopaholic series. those are fun and sometimes even somewhat relatable LOL

The notebook was okay. i gotta say this is actually the only exception to my rule, lol. the movie, in my opinion, was wayyyy better than book

I love fantasy books as well, especially Harry Potter. I liked the first 3 books of twilight, but the 4th one i thought was a complete joke and almost a mockery to the series. i would honestly and seriously recommend the series without the final book. the way eclipse ended, trust me, is good enough.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:46 PM
Elite Fan

I can't really remember Night (read it 6-7 years ago for school) but I remember reading Maus around the same time, and that was definitely a powerful graphic novel

Otherwise, I stick to fiction, and that's mostly fantasy.

Stephenie Meyer would have to pay me to read Breaking Dawn! And a large sum at that
Old 11-01-2010, 06:50 PM
Elite Fan

IKR? i want those hours back
Old 11-02-2010, 04:41 AM
Supreme Fan

Yeah, Breaking Dawn basically ruined the series for me. I have no interest in any of the books anymore after reading that one.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:58 AM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiagonalZipper (View Post)
I can't really remember Night (read it 6-7 years ago for school) but I remember reading Maus around the same time, and that was definitely a powerful graphic novel

Otherwise, I stick to fiction, and that's mostly fantasy.

Stephenie Meyer would have to pay me to read Breaking Dawn! And a large sum at that
Same here as far as Night - I read it for high school but really don't remember it very well

She'd have to pay you and me both Angel, I'm with you - when I read it, it really ruined the rest for me and I don't really have much interest in re-reading them.

I just finished a book called Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin - it's really imaginative. It's about a faerie realm that is in danger of extinction and their future depends on this specific girl - it's not an epic adventure or anything like that, but like I said, it's imaginative and an enjoyable enough read (although definitely not ground breaking and at times a little heavy handed)

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriela (View Post)
I just finished a book called Extraordinary by Nancy Werlin - it's really imaginative. It's about a faerie realm that is in danger of extinction and their future depends on this specific girl - it's not an epic adventure or anything like that, but like I said, it's imaginative and an enjoyable enough read (although definitely not ground breaking and at times a little heavy handed)
I think that has popped up in my amazon rec's. Is there a love story. Because I did promise myself to avoid those for awhile!

I gave up at Eclipse, hated the ending (Hated Jacob even more), and didn't like New Moon either (so bored with the "werewolves"). I probably wouldn't even like the first now, but at the time that was the one I liked.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:47 PM
Elite Fan

aww, i love eclipse the most <3 but i frkn LOVE jacob, so ya...
i do hate bella though
Old 11-02-2010, 07:49 PM
Supreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiagonalZipper (View Post)
I think that has popped up in my amazon rec's. Is there a love story. Because I did promise myself to avoid those for awhile!
I definitely wouldn't call the book romantic - it's a lot more about these two girls' friendship and what the problem is in the faerie world. I'm like you and have kind of decided to swear off any type of YA romantic books, and this definitely fit the bill

Icon by ~ Jis_Bon ~
Old 11-02-2010, 07:54 PM
Elite Fan

Good to know