Moderator of ...
Chris Pine
Zachary Levi

That's fantastic.

Donna
Old 02-04-2022, 09:36 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistyMountainHop (View Post)
Eric could fit several careers, considering the show gave him no career ambitions.
That was pretty dumb
Old 02-05-2022, 10:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlavin95 (View Post)
That was pretty dumb
It was short-sighted writing. Oh, well. More details for fans to fill in.
Old 02-05-2022, 09:52 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Chris Pine
Zachary Levi

So very true, we can have fun.

Donna
Old 02-12-2022, 09:59 AM
Part-Time Fan

I've written a variation of this on Tumblr before, but I see Eric in various kinds of service professions, where he can help and/or inform others. I think that's at the core of what would make him happy, but that's just me.

My little list (hijacked from my Tumblr):

Teaching, social work, psychologist (since he can't handle blood), school/career counseling, photojournalist, documentary filmmaker

I think, at some level, Eric wouldn't feel self-fulfilled unless he was helping others, like his mother. Using his geeky hobbies as some sort of side gig is definitely a path I can see him going down, though. And if he's a teacher, as stated previously, he'd insert Star Wars analogies everywhere.

He can do that with history, too (he's a history teacher and amateur photojournalist/documentary filmmaker in my Two Worlds Apart universe). There was literally a "Star Wars" military initiative back in the 80s. And the Jedis/Luke Skywalker would be an analogy for the good guys, and the Sith/Dark Side/Darth Vader would be an analogy for the bad guys;

Eric: You see, the allied powers were like the Jedis, like Luke Skywalker, fighting against the forces of evil. And the axis? They were the sith, the dark side, if you will. Darth freaking Vader. They wanted to gobble up the world, and remove anyone that didn't fit in their evil plans.

Some, like that, would be an obvious, non-controversial analogy. Others? He could get in some hot water.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:05 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by einsteinsugly (View Post)
I think, at some level, Eric wouldn't feel self-fulfilled unless he was helping others, like his mother.
I think that's a valid interpretation. I also think he could be fulfilled career-wise simply doing something he loves that isn't about helping others (but doesn't hurt anyone either). This part of Eric's personality wasn't developed by the writers, so many possibilities exist that would fit with what the writers did give us.

Quote:
He can do that with history, too (he's a history teacher and amateur photojournalist/documentary filmmaker in my Two Worlds Apart universe). There was literally a "Star Wars" military initiative back in the 80s. And the Jedis/Luke Skywalker would be an analogy for the good guys, and the Sith/Dark Side/Darth Vader would be an analogy for the bad guys;

Eric: You see, the allied powers were like the Jedis, like Luke Skywalker, fighting against the forces of evil. And the axis? They were the sith, the dark side, if you will. Darth freaking Vader. They wanted to gobble up the world, and remove anyone that didn't fit in their evil plans.

Some, like that, would be an obvious, non-controversial analogy. Others? He could get in some hot water.
Eric as a teacher would definitely use Star Wars analogies where he could.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:38 PM
Part-Time Fan

I personally interpret my stance with the episode Career Day, when he was so worried about the welfare of his mother's patients (and one's unfortunate demise). And I personally develop him from there, because to me, it's a far more interesting path than let's say, owning a comic book store or something of the like. He loves superheroes, so why can't he be one in real life?

Eric: A wise man once said, with great power, comes great responsibility.
The gang: *Collectively groans*
Old 02-14-2022, 07:09 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I personally interpret my stance with the episode Career Day, when he was so worried about the welfare of his mother's patients (and one's unfortunate demise). And I personally develop him from there, because to me, it's a far more interesting path than let's say, owning a comic book store or something of the like. He loves superheroes, so why can't he be one in real life?
Eric does, generally and genuinely, care about people. This is a consistent part of his characterization. And I can see him going down that route. I can also see the realities of helping people in as a social worker, let's say, beating him down and -- unlike Kitty -- taking his work home with him. So he'd have to find a way to help people that doesn't destroy himself. Being a teacher is definitely one path (but that has its own varies frustrations).

Quote:
Eric: A wise man once said, with great power, comes great responsibility.
The gang: *Collectively groans*

---

Whatever Eric would eventually choose as a career, he'd put his all into it. He's consistently depicted on T7S as doing so. That's why he'd be better off choosing something that feeds his spirit rather than than draining it.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:28 AM
Part-Time Fan

Oh, it definitely would beat him down, to an extent. But as a teacher in my Two Worlds Apart universe, he's passionate about it (both history and his students), so he rationalizes that it's all worth it in the end. If he can help people, in any way one man can. He's done his job in this crazy, crazy world.

To some extent, it does drain his spirit, as he becomes more cynical in his later years. But it feeds his spirit too. He isn't a bystander in the world, letting everyone walk all over him and his hopes and dreams for the world, so such efforts make him genuinely happy.

Plus, he founds an after school program with Hyde (although Hyde readily debates his contribution), Pastor Dan's brother (the principal and his superior), and his friend Buddy (an advocacy lawyer). He works with Donna (who is a political journalist with her own mountain to climb) on various projects, and eventually, his eldest daughter Kate. He develops a love for photography and filmography, and uses that as an outlet (well, and as a tool, too). And his budding, "geeky crap" eBay side gig is also a worthwhile outlet, too. He compares himself to Peter Parker/Spiderman on so many occasions that the gang wants to put a freaking muzzle on him sometimes.

Eric: I may be an annoying geek, but my heart's in the right place. Right?
Hyde: Uh huh.
Donna: Yeah.
Jackie: But you're still really, really annoying. That's why you can never have a super successful talk show like mine. You're not a very good salesman.
Eric: Hey, I'd be the worst used car or mattress salesman ever. In the history of time. But teaching? And photography? That makes my heart soar, like Spiderman, when he swings through the sky...
The gang (collectively): Shut up.
Eric (with a sigh): Will do.
Jackie: No, you won't.
Eric (with a shrug): Eh, I'll probably bring it up later.
Old 02-15-2022, 07:26 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Poor Eric, getting so much crap from his friends.
Old 02-15-2022, 08:19 AM
Part-Time Fan

Oh, that's because he tends to be melodramatic and self-righteous sometimes.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:03 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Oh, that's because he tends to be melodramatic and self-righteous sometimes.
In a humorous way -- well, the first part.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:39 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, he has that self-righteous side of him (countered with hampered hesitance), like his father. He wants to be a hero, but he rarely feels he can conform to his father's expectations. As the series progressed, he kowtowed less and less to his father, but still lacked the drive to find his own expectations (for the most part).
Old 02-17-2022, 09:20 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Yeah, he has that self-righteous side of him (countered with hampered hesitance), like his father. He wants to be a hero, but he rarely feels he can conform to his father's expectations. As the series progressed, he kowtowed less and less to his father, but still lacked the drive to find his own expectations (for the most part).
Season 6 shows that lack of drive, but I think a large part of that stemmed from Eric feeling obligated to delay his future to help out his family (Red not being able to work because of his heart attack). In season 7, though, Red's able to work and reinvigorated by owning his own shop. But since the T7S writers didn't think to make up a fictional college that Eric and Donna could commute to easily (unlike The Middle writers who let that show's characters age every year and go to college), Eric takes a year off in S7. ...

Man, the lack of imagination to fix certain loopholes is frustrating. Point Place is a fictional town. So ... a fictional college that's close enough to let Eric and Donna remain on the show every episode? Not a giant leap. This is what's essentially done for Kelso's character and the police academy. Even when he's transferred to Waukegan, he's still at the Formans' all the time.
Old 02-17-2022, 11:21 AM
Part-Time Fan

Yeah, even community college (where Donna just stopped going, apparently, gah) could've been painted as a way to get some gen eds and for Eric to explore some possible hobbies beyond Star Wars and Donna, and they wouldn't have had to leave the basement.

And I commuted about an hour (one way) to go to college (well, I commuted with my dad, who worked in said city at the time), and from what it seems, Milwaukee isn't that far away to commute (Green Bay my ass, they were obviously close to Chicago, in the southeastern part of the state). So they could've had made up a four-year college close by, or had Eric and/or Donna commute to UW Parkside or UW Milwaukee.

But nope. Instead, we got seasons 6 and 7 (for Donna) and season 7 (for Eric).