Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2013, 06:59 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
That has happened to me too, I read one once like that and I had to not read fanfiction for a few days because it disturbed me that much!
Was it a scene in a T7S fanfic? Whisper PM it to me.

...Unless that would re-traumatize you.
Old 09-28-2013, 08:44 AM
Part-Time Fan

I haven't read as much T7S fanfiction as I'd like, but the ones that turn me off are where Jackie and Hyde break up, get back together, break up, get back together, break--you get the idea.

Why can't some writers just end the story when its meant to be ended? Why carry on the conflict? For more reviews, I guess.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy conflict. And I understand how difficult characters can be. For example, I had Hyde be an absolute jerk to Jackie until he realised he could lose her for good. Sounds about average, right? But once the figurative smoke settled, instead of Hyde being open emotionally, he went back to being a jerk for a little bit. It wasn't my intention to have more conflict, but Hyde just refused to change in that moment. Hyde refuses to do a lot of things...

I think the problem is a lot of fanfic writers write their characters to suit their plot when it makes more sense (to me) to have your plot suit your characters.

Also, what's up with villainising 'good' or 'nice' characters in fanfiction to make your pairing work? I absolute hate that in *any* fandom.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:01 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by chromeknickers (View Post)
I think the problem is a lot of fanfic writers write their characters to suit their plot when it makes more sense (to me) to have your plot suit your characters.
Bingo. The writers of That '70s Show were guilty of this, too, beginning with season 5's Donna -- but it got worse and worse throughout seasons 6 and 7 until the characters were unrecognizable in season 8.

Quote:
Also, what's up with villainising 'good' or 'nice' characters in fanfiction to make your pairing work? I absolute hate that in *any* fandom.[/COLOR]
*cough* J/E shippers doing it to Donna and Hyde *cough* All. The. Time.

Last edited by MistyMountainHop; 09-28-2013 at 09:19 AM
Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Part-Time Fan

S8 was like a bunch of Fez fans got together and thought, How can we make everyone, except Fez, look like a bunch of douches?
  • Alcoholic Hyde with a stripper wife, check.
  • Jackie broken down and gagging for Fez's c**k, check.
  • Donna Girls Gone Wild with missing brain cells and major 'tude, check.
  • Fez is now the cool guy who gets the chicks, check.

I feel sorry for the fanfic writers who try to correct all the crap from S8. I guess this means I feel sorry for myself, but I try not to think of Afterword in terms of 'fixing' S8. That would require a pod person/body snatchers explanation. ;P
Old 09-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
S8 was like a bunch of Fez fans got together and thought, How can we make everyone, except Fez, look like a bunch of douches?

Yeah, Wilmer supposedly held out for certain things before he'd sign the contract for S8. And that's why Fez's character became not-Fez but some weird version of himself.

Quote:
I feel sorry for the fanfic writers who try to correct all the crap from S8. I guess this means I feel sorry for myself, but I try not to think of Afterword in terms of 'fixing' S8. That would require a pod person/body snatchers explanation. ;P
I don't consider S8 canon, so I never bother with it. Sometimes I use elements from S8 when convenient or interesting, but other than that? No.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:27 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
  • Alcoholic Hyde with a stripper wife, check.
  • Jackie broken down and gagging for Fez's c**k, check.
  • Donna Girls Gone Wild with missing brain cells and major 'tude, check.
  • Fez is now the cool guy who gets the chicks, check.

I agree. As a huge Fez fan who's trying to come up with some interesting fanfic ideas for his character (I have a few, my favorite one is him getting a job as Salvation Army bell ringer at Christmastime), I try to keep him the loveable but very awkward foreign kid from early seasons who just wanted to fit in and have a girlfriend. That makes him far more relate-able than S8 Fez.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Part-Time Fan

I *loved* Fez when he was the awkward foreign boy trying to fit in, and who also could be the most insightful one out of them all. I really don't think it did Fez a service by 'winning' Jackie in the end. By that point Jackie was broken and desperate. That's no prize (although I don't think Jackie should be regarded as a prize, but that's what she was).

I liked Fez with Rhonda. I would have liked them to bring back Rhonda, all hot (cause she is), and have all the guys from PP drop their jaws cause Fez pulled the hottest (and strongest) chick. Lol.

Bobby, Fez as a bell-ringer for the SA would be all manners of adorable.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I liked Fez with Rhonda. I would have liked them to bring back Rhonda, all hot (cause she is), and have all the guys from PP drop their jaws cause Fez pulled the hottest (and strongest) chick. Lol.
If only the show had been smart enough to bring in Big Rhonda for S8 again. Would've been awesome.

Season 1 Fez was insightful, compassionate, and didn't know how far to push a joke due to cultural differences. <--- That last bit is what became perverted into perversion. His horniness used to be like the rest of the guys'. They were all teenage boys. But then it became his punchline.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
I *loved* Fez when he was the awkward foreign boy trying to fit in, and who also could be the most insightful one out of them all. I really don't think it did Fez a service by 'winning' Jackie in the end. By that point Jackie was broken and desperate. That's no prize (although I don't think Jackie should be regarded as a prize, but that's what she was).

Bobby, Fez as a bell-ringer for the SA would be all manners of adorable.
A few more possible Christmas job ideas I have (his host parents force him to "give back to Point Place" and make him get a job for the holidays) are playing an elf at a Price-Mart Santa Claus attraction, Hickory Farms clerk who gives out samples, department store gift wrapper, and SA thrift shop assistant.
Old 09-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby88 (View Post)
A few more possible Christmas job ideas I have (his host parents force him to "give back to Point Place" and make him get a job for the holidays) are playing an elf at a Price-Mart Santa Claus attraction, Hickory Farms clerk who gives out samples, department store gift wrapper, and SA thrift shop assistant.
Ooh, these sounds like fun.
Old 09-28-2013, 07:03 PM
Fan Forum Star

Lisa, I pm'd you.

I would have loved to see Rhonda come back, her and Fez were great together.
I am an original”
Old 09-28-2013, 08:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

PM read and responded to -- but you know that already.

Fanfiction.net is having some real trouble right now. In PMs and reviews and maybe elsewhere, they're deleting any word that comes before a period. I just got new reviews, and words are missing due to this issue. Until it's resolved, I won't be posting the last chapter of Hyde Catches Jackie.

Soooo annoying. But they clearly haven't ironed out all bugs from their server move.
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Thanks for the heads up Lisa!
I am an original”
Old 09-28-2013, 09:00 PM
Dedicated Fan

I saw that too Lisa, still taking forever to get my alerts. And I'm probably waiting on my updates too. Had plans of updating Running' Down a Dream Wednesday but if things don't improve I might wait till next week. Hopefully the wont be the case and things will be fixed by Monday tomorrow preferably but...
Old 09-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msstock87 (View Post)
Thanks for the heads up Lisa!
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannygirl704 (View Post)
I saw that too Lisa, still taking forever to get my alerts. And I'm probably waiting on my updates too. Had plans of updating Running' Down a Dream Wednesday but if things don't improve I might wait till next week. Hopefully the wont be the case and things will be fixed by Monday tomorrow preferably but...
Yeah, it sucks all around. I sent you a PM on fanfiction.net a few minutes ago, too. I hope they fix the problem ASAP.