Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2007, 11:06 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
When Brandon was "in love" in high school he had the tendancy to get sweeped up in the girl completly and become irrational.
I hadn't really considered this, but it can be true. Maybe that's why he didn't like to date.

Quote:
She knew how rejected he felt and her moving in was as much to hold onto him as to have Jim let go of her.
Well that's a good way of looking at it.

Quote:
But before she lied none of her friends/brother said anything really to talk her out of it. They were all like okay, whatever. Even Dylan.
Donna complains in the beginning (the car ride), and Kelly a bit in her tone (D: "How do I let you guys talk me into these things?" / "Cause you're such a good friend." ). Dylan? What about his whole "I'm through playing games/sick of sneaking around" line when they're alone on the beach? And doesn't he say, before she goes up to confront her father, and later to Jim in the next episode, that he didn't want any of this from the beginning, specifically the lying?
Old 12-11-2007, 12:33 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgroundDiaries (View Post)
Donna complains in the beginning (the car ride), and Kelly a bit in her tone (D: "How do I let you guys talk me into these things?" / "Cause you're such a good friend." ). Dylan? What about his whole "I'm through playing games/sick of sneaking around" line when they're alone on the beach? And doesn't he say, before she goes up to confront her father, and later to Jim in the next episode, that he didn't want any of this from the beginning, specifically the lying?
I was refering to the episode where they go to Mexico. No one really objected to that. In fact, wasn't it Donna's idea for her to lie? Yes, they were all getting annoyed with Brenda in Misery Loves Company.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:32 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby_Slippers (View Post)
...I think Brenda was afriad of loosing him. She knew how rejected he felt and her moving in was as much to hold onto him as to have Jim let go of her...
I'm still not sure about that. By that time, I was getting the impression that Dylan had come to represent independence from Jim. Elsewhere I suggested that Dylan may have "peaked" in terms of his actual infatuation with her even before the trip to Mexico, and I'm still not entirely sure that this was not mutual, in some ways.

Dylan was her only real choice if she wanted to get away from Jim. Had she shown up on the doorsteps of Donna or Kelly, there would have been some parental intervention. Wouldn't work.

But Dylan lived alone. So she could go there, and as long as HE didn't stuff her in the Porsche and take her back to Casa Walsh, she could be "free" of Jim.

Which, of course, she wasn't. Nor did she even especially enjoy her little flirtation with housekeeping and independence.

So I'm not sure that just as it wasn't really about Dylan for Jim, it may not have been, at least entirely, about Dylan for Brenda!

I don't think that either she or Jim were thinking very much at all about how their actions would impact Dylan. In fact, I don't think either of them were thinking much at all, period. They were both feeling too much to think!

Quote:
...her friends/brother...were all like okay, whatever...But when they got caught all of a sudden everyone was pissed at her.
I think that is just human nature. When B & D got caught, that meant the potential for impact on others, Cindy called Kelly's mom, Brandon now had to live in a home with a most unpleasant atmosphere, and probably feel some heat himself, and Dylan was not really thrilled that she lied to Jim about the Mexico trip. I don't think that was because he was strongly morally opposed to daughters lying to their parents, but because he knew that he would get grief for it!

In the end, it is never about what I do. It is about whether I can manage to do it well enough to avoid getting caught, and thus impacting you, and Brenda couldn't!

Quote:
When he catches them at the beach club, I have never seen him as mad. I agree with everyone that it was about Brenda growing up but yikes what a way to experience growing pains!
It was definitely intense! But I think it resonated with as many parents as with teens. And gave the viewing audience a very succinct "How Not To" manual.

When Jim makes his famous "things will never be the same" declaration, we all know, even if he doesn't, that that boat already sailed. All we are talking about is whether he will wave it good-bye with fondness and welcome the next boat, or turn his back on both departure and arrival!
Old 12-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldsnakreem (View Post)
I'm still not sure about that. By that time, I was getting the impression that Dylan had come to represent independence from Jim. Elsewhere I suggested that Dylan may have "peaked" in terms of his actual infatuation with her even before the trip to Mexico, and I'm still not entirely sure that this was not mutual, in some ways.!
Quote:
Well, we can agree to disagree on that point. I personally don't think their relationship got stale until the third season after the summer hiatus.

Dylan was her only real choice if she wanted to get away from Jim. Had she shown up on the doorsteps of Donna or Kelly, there would have been some parental intervention. Wouldn't work.

But Dylan lived alone. So she could go there, and as long as HE didn't stuff her in the Porsche and take her back to Casa Walsh, she could be "free" of Jim.

Which, of course, she wasn't. Nor did she even especially enjoy her little flirtation with housekeeping and independence.

So I'm not sure that just as it wasn't really about Dylan for Jim, it may not have been, at least entirely, about Dylan for Brenda!

I don't think that either she or Jim were thinking very much at all about how their actions would impact Dylan. In fact, I don't think either of them were thinking much at all, period. They were both feeling too much to think!
Well, I don't think Jim really liked Dylan- he had an alc. problem and he was sleeping with his little girl. Plus his father was immoral in his opinion. But I agree that he wouldn't have liked anyone Brenda dated but it didn't help that Dylan had those problems. Jim's issues were mostly with Brenda.

Quote:
It was definitely intense! But I think it resonated with as many parents as with teens. And gave the viewing audience a very succinct "How Not To" manual.

When Jim makes his famous "things will never be the same" declaration, we all know, even if he doesn't, that that boat already sailed. All we are talking about is whether he will wave it good-bye with fondness and welcome the next boat, or turn his back on both departure and arrival!
Exactly, he needed to have let go years ago. He was so overbearing!

I agree with Mel, that Cindy really lost her voice in all of this. Had he listened to her episodes before I don't think things would have gotten this out of hand. Part of the reason I can't solely blame Brenda is that her parents knew better. She shouldn't have been lying like that. But Cindy did not agree with everything Jim was saying and they weren't able to find a middle ground. Jim's actions caused a bigger reaction.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:58 PM
Part-Time Fan

I really liked this episode. It brings back a lot of memories of last summer.

My parents would freak out completely if I moved in with my boyfriend like that.

Season three was one of my favourites, if not my favourite.

Those caps are so cute! I love the one with Dylan and Brenda sitting on the couch together. Really cute.
brenda♥ icon by causticammo
Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I love the one with Dylan and Brenda sitting on the couch together. Really cute.
They're watching "Arsenio Hall"! Wonder if that made the DVD.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

^^ Yeah, maybe.
brenda♥ icon by causticammo
Old 12-12-2007, 06:43 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Aww. Cute caps.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:12 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgroundDiaries (View Post)
They're watching "Arsenio Hall"! Wonder if that made the DVD.
Did it?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:49 PM
Elite Fan

Uh ... whoops. That cap/scene is actually from the next episode ("The Twins, The Trustee, and The Very Big Trip"). And no, it didn't make the DVD. Cut to Dy reading the letter from Jim's office. No laughing, dual pizza eating, or late-night television.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:15 PM
Master Fan

WHAT????? But they kiss in that scene! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Old 12-13-2007, 04:22 PM
Elite Fan

No, there are two similar scenes. The one where they kiss is still there, and they aren't watching TV. I'm talking about the next scene of them. It starts later.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:27 PM
Master Fan

OH ok then that's ok, I thought it was the make up scene, thank god!
Old 12-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Master Fan

Yikes, I already can't wait for a rerelease with interviews and proper music. I suppose that might never happen.

For example, I would have loved a commentry track with James Eckhouse and Shannen for this episode!
Old 12-14-2007, 05:37 PM
Master Fan

Oh now there would be a good comentary!