Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2008, 07:29 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
I love Brenda's angst.

I think the angst is what garners the appeal. Brenda was an "angsty" character but I love those characters because they're usually the characters with the most depth and have alot to explore.

After re-reading, I see what you're saying about the "bad influence" aspect. It's not like she was necessarily saying Brenda was bad as in "bad girl/character" but it was more like a surface-based "bad influence" on how Shannen was relating to what was going on in the character's life compared to her own. Alot of drama and angst with Brenda. But, still, it's hard reading such negativity surrounding a character you really like. Especially when it comes from the actress herself. I don't think I've heard any of the other cast members do the same with their characters and alot of them were far from perfect.

Quote:
the actress allows that some of the characters on the original series seemed uncannily responsible and sober-minded for their age, "except for Brenda, which is why I liked her..."
Okay, lol ... maybe Brandon fits that description a little bit or perhaps Andrea and Donna? I really didn't see a whole bunch of "uncanny responsibility" in alot of the other characters that should be equated with adulthood/age. They all had their fair share of stunts.

Quote:
Brenda was realistic. She was normal. Not many 16-year-olds are so morally correct, you know? She had her moments where she was a great girl, and her moments where she was a bitch and you wanted to kill her, times when she was completely peaceful and times where she would bitch-slap Dylan in the face and never talk to Kelly again. She had those extremes."
That confuses me. Brenda is normal/realistic because she is morally correct? Okay. That's kind of a good thing is it not? Makes her a bit responsible too so she can fit right in with that "uncannily responsible" and "sober-minded" bit don't you think? I do.

Oh! And does anyone remember her "bitch-slapping" Dylan? I'm wracking my brain and can't come up with one time she did that.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:34 PM
Master Fan

I don't remember that either. She did bitch slap Andrea though...

I think Brenda gets that rap because she was the best one at telling someone off. Nobody could do it better and they usually deserved it.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:38 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's right, Ruby. Andrea and that summer play, forgot about that for a moment. Maybe she was just remembering that Brenda "bitch-slapped" someone. And yeah, Brenda was forwardly blunt. I loved that about her b/c the person on the receiving end usually did deserve it. Probably how that "morally correct" label comes into play.

Brenda❤Dylan Fan ~ You’ll look back years from now, and I’ll just be another girl you knew in high school. DYLAN: No you won’t. No you won’t, Bren. Not after everything.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
Master Fan

And the way she delivered them.

It was always soooo good!
Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
Total Fan

i edited the OP... please tell me if i've given right emphasize to that quote...
Old 10-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Master Fan

I how you have layed it out!

The last line is so great!
Old 10-09-2008, 04:35 AM
Total Fan

new photos from radar photoshoot

Old 10-09-2008, 04:49 AM
Extreme Fan

I love that quote in the OP, M! That's how I've always felt about Brenda,

Quote:
That confuses me. Brenda is normal/realistic because she is morally correct? Okay. That's kind of a good thing is it not? Makes her a bit responsible too so she can fit right in with that "uncannily responsible" and "sober-minded" bit don't you think? I do.
Yes. Her heart was always in the right place even if her actions were somewhat suspect. The first season when she doesn't quit until she's helped the date rape victim, Emily Valentine whom she talked through the fire incident, Sue Scanlon her freshman buddy and her family problems, even Laura Kingman in the very end. Brenda was a morally conscientious character; it just wasn't bludgeoned over our heads that she's right and perfect all the time. She was flawed but caring. JMO.

I actually think she was a nice counter to Brandon especially whose ideas about life were just a little too set sometimes. One's the head, the other's the heart.

Last edited by thineownself; 10-09-2008 at 05:02 AM
Old 10-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Total Fan

i forgot who but someone mentions here that shannen's "hatred" towards brenda is some kinda defense mechanism, i actually agree with this, i think she went through a lot of pain (i hate brenda and all the nasty rumors about her) because of that character/while playing her...

i love brenda, sure she's not perfect and she didnt "try" to be perfect...which makes her real.. and i agre shanti, brenda's heart is always at teh right place...specially with all the example you've given...hell even to kelly when she overdose during her debut..
Old 10-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Passionate Fan

Man, this topic is H-E-A-V-Y! Unfortunately I don't really have anything to add to that except to agree on what you guys said. Oh, and thanks for welcoming me here!
Cindi/Cinamon
Charmed/SW/HP/HSM/DW fanatic!
No. 314
Old 10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
Master Fan

Love the new pics! Shay looks GORG.

Okay, I have everything ready for my new OP. I'm just waiting for these new arts to come in, so sorry if my asking to go slow is frustrating.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM
Master Fan

Love the new pics, she is amazingly beautiful!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Master Fan

I love those pics!
Old 10-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Total Fan

no worries mikela... we're definitely cool about it!!!

here's something from tolik..
Quote:
With The Real World Brooklyn in production and pissing off the neighbors, the show's production company has already started casting for the. MTV is looking for your help casting the upcoming 22nd season of the Real World . Producers of reality-based docu-dramas, The Real World and Road Rules. People gather outside Scorekeeper's to sign up for a casting call. A behind the scenes look as the producers of. MTV's " Real World " looks for new cast members in Dallas. MTV Real World Road Rules cast member booking agency for event appearances and college speaking engagements nationwide. The Real World is casting for its 20th (and possibly final) season. Ever wonder how some cast members of the. Casting directors from Bunim/Murray Productions, creators of the perennial hit MTV show “The Real World ”, will be holding an open casting. The episode, which was hosted by Shannen Doherty, featured a skit depicting a Real World cast patterned after the Los Angeles cast , and poked fun at the.
ETA: US weekly photoshoot..

Last edited by charmingbrenda; 10-10-2008 at 02:09 AM
Old 10-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Master Fan

Hey kids!

Ohhhh I love the pics of Shay!

Going to see the OP