Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2010, 10:45 PM
Elite Fan

No, we read the first Rosin interview on here. Didn't know there was a second.

I'll have to reread/finish tomorrow. In the mean time, I recommend everyone check these out.

I will say right away, though, that I beamed when he mentioned the show ended for him at exactly the S5 finale. (!) That's what I've been saying.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Obsessed Fan

Oh, thanks for the link Caro!

Katie Fitch
♥ Please join the Mila Kunis Campaign
Old 03-30-2010, 09:09 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Instead we have this bastardized version that’s on now.- Charles Rosin

it!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 AM
Master Fan

Hey, Ruby

Everyone should check this interview, really There are many important things to comment on, but for now I'll just say that this helps to confirm something we already knew (sadly) about the storylines they were making up for the originals in the new show:

Quote:
TDW: Not sure if you’re aware but they recently killed Jackie Taylor [Ann Gillespie].

Rosin: Why?

TDW: They did this whole cancer storyline.

Rosin: I understand that. When you run out of ideas, you get people sick. No offense to Joey [E. Tata, Nat], but we were struggling and had to do 32 episodes. So Nat’s going to have a heart attack [Episode 4.18, Heartbreaker]. If you see characters getting sick like that at random, it’s usually evidence of a bankruptcy of ideas, in my opinion
I love that we're getting this kind of interviews lately...
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Rosin: I understand that. When you run out of ideas, you get people sick. No offense to Joey [E. Tata, Nat], but we were struggling and had to do 32 episodes. So Nat’s going to have a heart attack [Episode 4.18, Heartbreaker]. If you see characters getting sick like that at random, it’s usually evidence of a bankruptcy of ideas, in my opinion
I've been thinking about this quote lately too, trying to picture how such an impasse fits into the context of S4. If you have enough strong material going on still, it can be more than just a distraction. It works (ie, adding to the Dy/Bn, Bn/Nat, Jim/Bn, group, B/Bn relationships, Dy solo, and Lucinda love square). But then we saw sudden illness happen time and time again in the later years, lol, and it always looked gimmicky. Now imagine how sad it is for a show only in its second season to not only rely on characters and plotlines from another series and time, but to be pulling out all the stops with that material too, because it's not enough for it to stand alone anymore (ie., 'Oh look there's Hannah', Kelly is Silver's guardian, etc).
Old 04-05-2010, 12:39 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgroundDiaries (View Post)
Now imagine how sad it is for a show only in its second season to not only rely on characters and plotlines from another series and time, but to be pulling out all the stops with that material too, because it's not enough for it to stand alone anymore (ie., 'Oh look there's Hannah', Kelly is Silver's guardian, etc).
That got me thinking too. It's only its second season and it seems like this show has to pull the big guns with every character, every episode. Or maybe it's just my impression considering what I saw with the originals.

The good thing about getting a character sick is, like Mel said, it adds to the rest of the storylines, because you have this sorta domino impact on the characters around, so you can get plenty of drama to unfold for at least the next couple of episodes. But there's also a point where it becomes too much and it doesn't have the same impact on the audience anymore.

Ok, the March count is out, guys:

100. Beverly Hills 90210 (1652 | 53.29)

We dropped again. The goal this month has to be not to go lower than that.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Elite Fan

I'm feeling grateful we're still in the Top 100, LOL.

Finally bought S8 and S9 on DVD. I always cave while waiting for the super sale, lol.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, at this point, I'm not gonna complain about the count...too much I know there's work to do, though *sighs*

Finally, you bought them Anything unexpected or surprising about the DVDs?
Old 04-06-2010, 08:33 PM
Elite Fan

I'm going to unwrap them now, just for you, lol.

Well, the cover pics on each individual case are a little different for S8. I guess, uglier cause the main pic is in this diamond-on-its-side shape (Kelly, Carly, Brandon, Donna). Then there's a strip of one scene pic in the background for each (Bn/K, S/Carly, V/Noah, D/Noah). Those shots are pretty nice, but it's a lot of Noah and Carly. Since I know you're wondering, lol, the Bn/K shot is of her looking at him in the premiere after she redresses the bed. For S9, they got more environmentally friendly with their design. The box is much smaller and comes with a paper sleeve over it. There are no individual cases inside. It's like opening a thick DVD case where there's little flip-panels holding the discs inside ... but it looks so messy, actually, that when I first opened it I was convinced that they were loose and spilling everywhere. All episode descriptions are on a page in back. The gray color on the discs for both sets are actually of a different texture/material than the previous seasons (more plain, matte gray). In other words, it's all done more cheaply, LOL.

I'm missing just S5 Disc 1/2 at the moment. Driving me nuts.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:25 PM
Obsessed Fan

Aw you lost a S5 disc Mel? Hope you find it

Too bad they put so much Noah and Carly, especially Carly. I always hated that they put so much of an emphasis on her and she doesn't even last a whole season.

Katie Fitch
Old 04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Elite Fan

But she's a STAHHR. lol

Thanks. I know it has to be in my room at least.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 PM
Master Fan

Wow, love your description, Mel Now I can imagine what I probably won't be buying anytime soon lol.

Quote:
Since I know you're wondering, lol, the Bn/K shot is of her looking at him in the premiere after she redresses the bed.
How would you know I wanted to know, huh?

Yeah, too much Carly gets annoying at some point because we know the only reason why they're promoting her this much is because she's Hillary Swank. But there's nothing memorable about it for the fans....I would have loved if they'd included more Clare in the previous boxes, for example

Quote:
In other words, it's all done more cheaply, LOL.
I see And also, no extras, right?

Quote:
I'm missing just S5 Disc 1/2 at the moment. Driving me nuts.
Aw, I hate when that happens. It's happened to me at least twice with movies and Gilmore DVDs...I hope you find it.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
And also, no extras, right?
That's a good one.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Obsessed Fan

I hate that! Don't they know that as fans we want some kind of extras?

I keep hoping that they'll put something in the Complete seasons set, and hopefully someone can upload it to YT

they are releasing a complete series right?

Katie Fitch
Old 04-08-2010, 11:41 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel2091 (View Post)
they are releasing a complete series right?
I'm sure they will, at some point. But I still doubt they will do anything about the extras. I mean, Charles Rosin said there was no point of making them after S4 Here's the quote:

Quote:
TDW: Since season 4, there’s been no extras. We’ve had seasons 5-9 with no extras.

Rosin: Want my opinion? Because there’s nothing to say. The show ended with season 5, in my opinion. Season 5, if you were going to do one, the person you’d need to talk to is Luke [Perry, Dylan] because Luke was so important in those first 12, 13 episodes where he has his money stolen and has his whole depression and anger, leading to the crashing of his car. Luke drove those first 13 and it was a pleasure to do them with him. He had such intensity. If he’s not going to talk about it, then what are you going to say? Tiffani [Amber Thiessen, Valerie] would’ve been the other person to talk to for season 5.
(Ok, the die-hard shipper in me has to say that I'm a little offended that he wouldn't mention that the BK relationship and almost engagement would have been something good to comment on the S5 extras )
Closed Thread   Post New Thread