Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-18-2007, 03:56 PM
Elite Fan

I have to go by seasons for me, as far as how I felt about Baltar's character. Honestly, since I've been rewatching my BSG DVD's the last week or so, this came up to my attention.

S1 and the Mini-series I actually found Baltar to be sympathetic and funny, with the exception of that he didn't tell Boomer the truth, but I was willing to give him a pass on that.

S2...first part he was OK, up until he shot Crashdown in the back and lied about it. After that, he became rather OK and again likeable, esp. when he was taking care of Gina in the Pegasus/Ressurection Ship episodes. In Epiphanies he saved Laura and the baby, so his likeabilty went up again...and at the end...he gives Gina the nuke, we all know that resulted in the death of thousands, and he wins the election and settles on new caprica. In the meantime, he continued to lie about the events and his relationship with Caprica Six before the cylon attack on the colonies, a fact that I wonder, will it ever come out to be known to Bill Adama and Laura? That is one confrontation I want to really see, esp. Bill Adama...chocking the life out of Baltar before being restrained, or something like that. It would be a great scene

S3...I found little to be redeemable for Batlar, even on the cylon basestar, later back on Galactica...he wasn't compassionate but rather seemed convinced he was blameless for everything. Somehow he's managed to make himself believe he is innocent of everything, an innocent victim of circumstances.

So that's my take on Baltar, I much prefer the S1 version. Light humor and compassion.

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider (View Post)
Somehow he's managed to make himself believe he is innocent of everything, an innocent victim of circumstances.
I hate to break it to you Alex but he is. As for not telling the truth about his relationship with Caprica Six before the attack on the colonies. I wonder how that would have gone....

Baltar: I may be partly responsible for the destruction of most of our species.
Roslin: *to the guards* Put him out the airlock!
Old 07-18-2007, 06:20 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject (View Post)
I hate to break it to you Alex but he is.
I see he's gotten you brainwashed as well

Quote:
As for not telling the truth about his relationship with Caprica Six before the attack on the colonies. I wonder how that would have gone....

Baltar: I may be partly responsible for the destruction of most of our species.
Roslin: *to the guards* Put him out the airlock!
I would pay good money to see that scene

Seriously, do you, Gaius Baltar fans all truly feel the way Mike here does? That he's completely innocent and a victim of circumstances? I would very much like to know

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Old 07-18-2007, 06:35 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Alex - I enjoy reading your reasons for not liking Baltar

but like Mike said, how would telling Roslin/Adama about his Six fling go?

eta: I didn't like when Baltar gave Gina the nuke. That was a HUGE mistake. So I don't see him as a total victim (at least not after that)
He just needs to make better choices
Old 07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

Victoria, just trying to get a discussion going and explain to Mike and others my reasons for not liking Baltar. I wanted to make it very clear in S1 I had no major problem with Baltar at all. For me was some of things he did during S2. S3 was the last straw, especially how weak and controlled he had become.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

He is certainly not innocent.
He messed up big time giving Gina that nuke.

How come they never asked Baltar to give it back?

What I like most about Baltar is that is so messed up and goes toward this downward spiral that he has become the character, I think, that is the most interesting to watch and discuss.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:46 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Quote:
Victoria, just trying to get a discussion going and explain to Mike and others my reasons for not liking Baltar. I wanted to make it very clear in S1 I had no major problem with Baltar at all. For me was some of things he did during S2. S3 was the last straw, especially how weak and controlled he had become.
is there anything he can do to make you like him better? Like what if he sacrifices himself for mankind? (not that I think he'd actually do it)

it's always the messed up characters that are most fun to watch. can anyone honestly say they enjoy watching a character that is a saint?
it's fun to watch Baltar make bad choices.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
S3 was the last straw, especially how weak and controlled he had become
Alex the man was being manipulated on all fronts by both the human and cylons, not to mention Phantom Six inside of his head. Even Caprica Six was changed by having Phantom Baltar inside her head. I can't say she became weaker but I bet 3 though she had. Baltar on the other had also was dealing with something that others couldn't relate to. He really did not know and still really doesn't know if he is a cylon or not.

Questioning yourself with:
Am I a cylon?
Am I traitor to my race?
Am I responsible for all of those deaths?

Remember one thing Baltar never wanted to be on Galactica, he didn't want to go with Boomer. Helo forced that situation because they could need the smartest man in the colonies. Starting the beginning of the humans using him for their own needs. The cylons started way before that. Then right from the mini-series they (humans) suspect him of being a cylon and try to kill him. Baltar learned fast to look out for himself because no one else was going to.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:45 PM
Fan Forum Legend

do you think Baltar would get rid of Phantom 6 if he had the chance or does he enjoy her a little too much?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMouse (View Post)
do you think Baltar would get rid of Phantom 6 if he had the chance or does he enjoy her a little too much?
All men have a little Phantom woman inside their head. Mine is Jessica Alba. I bet Alex has.... well Jessica Alba in his head as well. I had a feeling she was cheating on me!

No, I don't think he would get rid of her. One, she is one of the only "people" that likes him and does talk to him. Also, she's a sex machine. What's sad is that everyone uses Baltar and women do it mostly for sex. The question is: Is Phantom Six using Baltar this way or is Baltar really using himself?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:07 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Baltar is using himself to boost his ego because people in the real world are never going to do it.

is he really that good in the sack that all the girls want him? hmm.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject (View Post)
All men have a little Phantom woman inside their head. Mine is Jessica Alba. I bet Alex has.... well Jessica Alba in his head as well. I had a feeling she was cheating on me!
Mike, you have way too much free time on your hands man if you can think of something like that I have no idea what you're talking about

Do you agree with what Lee said about Baltar during the S3 finale, while he was on the stand. "You are arrogant, selfish, weak and a coward". I know that Lee was ultimately for Baltar's life to be spared, but he also did speak those words. What do you think? I'm interested in seeing what kind of defense will you put up or do you at least admit to those traits for Baltar?

Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:

I have a Phantom Hayden...

Quote:
Baltar is using himself to boost his ego because people in the real world are never going to do it.

is he really that good in the sack that all the girls want him? hmm.
I think so too.

Only one way to find out
Old 07-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Fan Forum Legend

no thanks, Steph

I love hearing Mike's arguments for Baltar. If I know him at all, he will find a way to dismiss those Baltar traits.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you agree with what Lee said about Baltar during the S3 finale, while he was on the stand. "You are arrogant, selfish, weak and a coward". I know that Lee was ultimately for Baltar's life to be spared, but he also did speak those words. What do you think? I'm interested in seeing what kind of defense will you put up or do you at least admit to those traits for Baltar?
Arrogant - Yes, can't we all be arrogant at times? Let's take a deep look at Baltar. He acts like he's smarter than everyone else, one of the greatest minds of their time. hmm... wait he is smarter than they are and one of the greatest minds of their time. I mean that's the whole reason they brought on board Galactica in the first place.

Selfish - When I think of Baltar's selfish acts nothing comes to mind. Now if your talking about the actions that he has taken to stay alive then sure he's selfish. Just as selfish as the humans are. Here they are thinking only about themselves, their own survival. That's not selfish though right? hmm... strange how when it comes to one man placing his own life first it's selfish but when it comes to an entire race placing themselves first its... what? Survival? No one else cares about Baltar, he has no family there, no friends, he has been used, abused and betrayed countless times. Now he can't even look out for himself because it would be selfish?

Weak - I'm not sure how much Baltar can lift. "I'm no superman" -Baltar

Coward - Baltar is not the bravest man out there. He's not on the front lines like Apollo, he's not a soldier. Wait didn't Baltar stand up to the cylons at first when they wanted him to sign the death list? hmm.. then they put a gun to his head. But I guess wanting to stay alive is a cowardly and selfish choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tori
I love hearing Mike's arguments for Baltar. If I know him at all, he will find a way to dismiss those Baltar traits.
I don't need to find them. They're pretty obvious.