Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-13-2008, 08:28 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
What are your biggest pet peeves when it comes to LL fics? What makes you roll your eyes and scream in frustration?
Is there anything that would make you stop reading immediately even if the rest of the fic is good?
hearing from Luke: Lor, Ror, kiddo, if he's too OOC, i like grumpy Luke, sweet and romantic only when with Lorelai
if someone writes Lorelei or Lorelia

and i agree about exes....i mean come on, it's been 5 years, and then all of a sudden Max shows up and wants her again, were was he for 5 years, in a jail so he wasn't able to visit sooner? same thing with Rachel...if authors need angst, they don't need to bring exes..
Old 07-13-2008, 12:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Castle
Stana Katic

MAJOR for me are also Lor from Luke's lips, or from any lips... I don't like that name.

And if someone types Lorelei on purpose. Lorelia are mostly typos, so that isn't that wild, but with 2 'e's... gah.

Which GAD chapter are we discussing right now?
Old 07-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Absolute Fan

Pet peeves, hmm... here are a few...

Overidyllic fic where LL are simply gushing over each other... It feels so fake to me, because no matter how happy they are together, they will still banter and do those little things to annoy each other every once in a while. It's only natural. Lorelai will still have the urge to drive Luke insane, Luke will still have his dry wit. That's a major pet peeve for me.

I'm with everyone on the "Lor" thing. The only character that has EVER referred to Lorelai is the C-word. And the only time she should be referred to as such is if the C-word is the one adressing her.

OOC villainizing the exes. I hate that. Why? Because either it's out of character, which I hate, or it generates sympathy towards character that doesn't deserve such. If you want to show someone in a bad light, please DO actually use the things in their personality and actions that would "incriminate" them. Don't start make something up. Neither Max, Alex nor Jason would beat Lorelai or abuse her in any way. And as much as I hate to admit this, neither would the C-word. He's a jerk in many ways, but he wouldn't do that.

Drama and conflict just for the hell of it is another thing I hate. And unnecessary "triangles". Soap opera storylines are simply not welcome.

ETA: I also hate when writers sensor the character's natural speach, like having Lorelai or Rory say "Oh my Gosh" instead of "Oh my God". It irks me everytime. Not once have I heard either of them ever say the word "Gosh".

---

When it comes to GAD... I, personally, have issues with Luke's rant in the first chapter, which is the main reason I've had a hard time even getting into GAD. In my opinion, it doesn't feel like him. Those are Sookie's words and it sounds natural coming from her, but from Luke's lips it simply feels out of place. I simply can't buy it. And if I can't buy the premise for the story, how can I move past that?

Last edited by smeagolkitten; 07-13-2008 at 01:03 PM
Old 07-13-2008, 01:09 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagolkitten (View Post)

Overidyllic fic where LL are simply gushing over each other... It feels so fake to me, because no matter how happy they are together, they will still banter and do those little things to annoy each other every once in a while. It's only natural. Lorelai will still have the urge to drive Luke insane, Luke will still have his dry wit. That's a major pet peeve for me.
So true. Or when they say ILY 10 times per chapter. I doesn't sound like them at all. I ship them because they're NOT sappy.

Here's another one. These are not direct quotes, but simply rough paraphrases.
Lane was there with her twin boys John and Jack. AN: I don't remember their names so deal with it
or
Luke called his sister Miranda AN: I really hate her real name

Annoying.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Moderator of ...
Castle
Stana Katic

Oh my, such ANs really are not nice.

If you write a GGe fic, you should get the names from the already existing charactres correctly, if you like them or not. Geez.

Guro, so you didn't read past the first GAD chapter? Aw, you're soooo missing out, I tell ya
Old 07-13-2008, 01:25 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
When it comes to GAD... I, personally, have issues with Luke's rant in the first chapter, which is the main reason I've had a hard time even getting into GAD. In my opinion, it doesn't feel like him. Those are Sookie's words and it sounds natural coming from her, but from Luke's lips it simply feels out of place. I simply can't buy it. And if I can't buy the premise for the story, how can I move past that?
i think you have to move past that..it's one thing you don't like in that fic and that's why you're not reading?
this trilogy is the best i read...ever, and i read a lots of fics, of course not everyone will agree with me, but LL are so in character, everyone are....that one mistake can't ruin whole fic for me..well it doesn't even sound like a mistake to me...that's just my opinion though
Old 07-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeagolkitten (View Post)

I'm with everyone on the "Lor" thing. The only character that has EVER referred to Lorelai is the C-word. And the only time she should be referred to as such is if the C-word is the one adressing her.
ITA especially about LL gushing over each other or being extremely cheesy...I can take some corny moments here and there...but when they start being all over each other and with sappy dialogue...I can´t stand it.

Another thing: C-word and Luke bonding...no way I can deal with that
Old 07-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Absolute Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copop (View Post)
Guro, so you didn't read past the first GAD chapter? Aw, you're soooo missing out, I tell ya
I have read past the first chapter, but that part with Luke really stuck with me. I mean, it's the part that basically the whole fic is based on and as much as I hate to use the acronym OOC, that is how I felt when I read it. Of course, that's just my opinion and I am well aware that there are a lot of people that don't share that opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorblind (View Post)
i think you have to move past that..it's one thing you don't like in that fic and that's why you're not reading?
this trilogy is the best i read...ever, and i read a lots of fics, of course not everyone will agree with me, but LL are so in character, everyone are....that one mistake can't ruin whole fic for me..well it doesn't even sound like a mistake to me...that's just my opinion though
It's the first irk I had, but not the only. I really don't want to put this story down, because I think Mags is a good writer and there are some really well-written bits there. At the same time there were several smaller things, issues I had that in the end I just couldn't ignore any longer. I'm sorry I am not with everyone else on this. I know that I'm part of the minority with this opinion and that's just the way it is.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

I hate overly long ll fics...where the premise is never solved. It should not take more than 50 chapters to get to the damn point.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:57 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
It's the first irk I had, but not the only. I really don't want to put this story down, because I think Mags is a good writer and there are some really well-written bits there. At the same time there were several smaller things, issues I had that in the end I just couldn't ignore any longer. I'm sorry I am not with everyone else on this. I know that I'm part of the minority with this opinion and that's just the way it is.
i understand, i just wouldn't want you to stop reading cause of that it was the beginning of the fic and with every chapter writing is better so..

genki - i agree
and you're OTH fan? tell me you're kidding
Old 07-14-2008, 06:43 AM
Dedicated Fan

Guro - I agree, any and all opinions are welcome.

Does it sound strange hearing Sookie's words coming from Luke? Yes, it does. My thought was that it is not out of character for Luke to get frustrated, jealous, whatever, and suddenly just pop off, and that was the starting point that I chose. Of course, I can understand how the story wouldn't work for you because I take dialogue and plotlines from the show, mix them up, shuffle them around, and put words in other people's mouths all of the time.

I have to giggle as I read the comments above, because I know that I am an offender in many of the peeves. The trilogy L&L are what I would consider a highly idealized version of the characters that we know and love. Exceedingly fluffy, and I will admit that I write them that way on purpose. I have said from the outset that this story was spun from fluff, and I like it like that. I save the more true to show L&L for other stories.

As for the 50 chapters without resolution. *Sigh* If someone can tell me how to end the middle without killing them all off in a tragic accident, I'm open to suggestions. I didn't think it through when I started MM. As much as I love writing this story, at some point, I'm going to have to just end it. *ducks*

As for my pet peeves. The Lor from Luke is #1 with me. I totally agree on the abusive/rape/degranged ex fics. Not my cup of tea. As for the OOC thing, I struggle with that because I know how easy it is to stray. There are parts of my own story where I want to go back and slap Luke and tell him to stop being so emotional and man up. I'll chalk those up to PMS inspired writing...

Personally, I think that the best thing about fan fiction is that there is something for everyone. I tease Olivia Jane/Nag Hammadi all of the time about being an angst-ho, and she razzes me back about the cute and fluffy bunnies. There are people who have actually told me that they find MM to 'dramatic' which cracks me up because I think it's too fluffy. Everyone can read a story and take what they want/need from it. That's what makes it so nifty.

Sheesh, I've written more than I have on my next chapter. Okay, I'm out.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Absolute Fan

Mags, it's not the frustration, the jealousy I had issues with, because I agree that it's not out of character for Luke to be either, just that I didn't buy that specific outburst because I just couldn't *hear* Luke say it. Maybe I've been a bit tainted by Firefly, where each of the characters have such a distinct voice that it would be completely unthinkable to hand a specific line to a completely different character. Ever since I've been very focused on *hearing* the character's voices in my head as I read. *shrugs*

As for overly long fics... I'm guilty of that. But the way I see it. There's plenty of short fics, plenty of medium fics. I think it's only right that those of us who likes longer fics can have some as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:40 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Nancy Drew

mags it wasn't a reference to you fic per se...Atleast I could see where you were going with the story...but some just keep going and going without a point

Sanja, I am. Why? Because after gilmore girls I no longer believe good television exists.....In my opinion its a phenomenon of the past...and once 2002 hit that very idea was thrown out the window. here was a good show that became drivel. Atleast with oth...I can enjoy and embrace it for what it is...a distraction. Its not that bad..or atleast not as bad as I thought it would be and its made me enjoy tv again without all of the ridiculous hopes that gilmore had riddled my brain with.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:43 AM
Master Fan

Mag, what I love about your trilogy is that you basically took those character we all love and slowly made them yours in a very progressive way. We never got to really see the LL "middle", at least not in such intimate and extensive way..I can happily say that MM is everything I'd have wanted for them given the premise of GaD.

Personally, I feel annoyed when I read a fic full of fluffy dialogue and scenes just "because"...especially if they are set after S7 (and I've found lots of them). Or when they take some random LL plot in S5 and they turn it into endless LL devotion to each other with zero angst and conflict...I just can't invest in such ideas.

With your trilogy, I invested in the character development. I bought the "whole package" ...I love that suddenly I find myself gushing about LL's gushing and I don't even realize That's how good I think it is. Besides, I always find something to balance any sort of "sweetness" overdose. That's why I can't complain a bit about your writing even if I'd want to. I just enjoy it too much.

It happens with ONSD's fics too..sometimes I find stuff that I could never picture in the show, but somehow I can buy the way that girl tells her story and I'm always amazed by her resolutions. I don't know how to explain it, but it's like reading LL in a whole new level.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:00 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Sanja, I am. Why? Because after gilmore girls I no longer believe good television exists.....In my opinion its a phenomenon of the past...and once 2002 hit that very idea was thrown out the window. here was a good show that became drivel. Atleast with oth...I can enjoy and embrace it for what it is...a distraction. Its not that bad..or atleast not as bad as I thought it would be and its made me enjoy tv again without all of the ridiculous hopes that gilmore had riddled my brain with.
i was just suprised, i thought you said you're never gonna watch that show...but apparently it was not you sorry

and ITA Caro
Mag's fic is something that i would like to see on screen it's believable and that is what i like about it the most..angst is so well written, and i enjoy reading it, even when LL deal with big problems, cause that's life...