Old 04-08-2009, 12:18 PM
Fan Forum Star

Dan's stage performance in Equus #5

Who: Daniel Radcliffe - Alan Strang / Richard Griffiths - Dr. Martin Dysart
What: Equus - A Revival production of Peter Shaffer's Tony Award winning play
Where: New York City, Broadhurst Theatre
When: previewing on September 5th, 2008 and runs to February 5th, 2009

Radcliffe & Griffiths Star in Equus Revival

Full casting has been announced for the Broadway revival of Peter Shaffer's Equus, starring Daniel Radcliffe as troubled teen Alan Strang and Tony Award winner Richard Griffiths as Martin Dysart, which will play the Broadhurst Theatre, September 5-February 8, with an official opening on September 25. The production will be directed by Thea Sharrock.

Equus tells the story of a deeply disturbed 17-year-old stable boy who blinds six horses, and the psychiatrist who attempts to treat him. The original Broadway production of Equus opened in 1974 and ran for 1,209 performances. Griffiths and Radcliffe starred in the recent West End production, also directed by Sharrock.

In addition to previously announced Kate Mulgrew (Hesther Saloman), the supporting cast will feature Anna Camp (Jill Mason), Graeme Malcolm (Harry Dalton), Carolyn McCormick (Dora Strang), Lorenzo Pisoni (Nugget/Horseman), Sandra Shipley (Nurse), T. Ryder Smith (Frank Strang), and Collin Baja, Tyrone Jackson, Spencer Liff, Adesola Osakalumi, and Marc Spaulding (horses).

The revival features sets and costumes by John Napier, lighting by David Hersey, and sound design by Gregory Clarke.

Equus, which tells the story of a troubled 17 year-old stable boy who blinds his horses, was originally produced by the National Theatre at the Old Vic in 1973, directed by John Dexter, and starring Alec McCowen as psychiatrist Martin Dysart and Peter Firth as Alan Strang, the patient. The play transferred to Broadway starring Anthony Hopkins and Firth, where it ran for 1,200 performances and received the Tony Award for Best Play in 1975, making it one of the most successful plays in New York history.

The controversial drama, which was made into a Hollywood film starring Richard Burton in 1977, is based on a true story. Shaffer (whose other plays include The Royal Hunt of the Sun – currently in rep at the National), was inspired to write Equus when he heard of a crime involving a teenage boy's apparently senseless injury to horses. The play will require Radcliffe to simulate sexual satisfaction while riding naked on a horse.

"Working with Daniel Radcliffe is nothing but a pleasure. I’ve never met anybody of his age who has his discipline and level of professionalism - and yet there was also a genuine nervousness and naivety because he’d never worked in the theatre before. There’s something very special about being part of somebody’s training, which is essentially what I was doing with him. We had a lot of madness over Daniel here and I’m sure it’ll be the same in New York."

Thea Sharrock, Equus Director

An Equus rehearsal clip ~ From another stage production (not Dan's)
A performance clip ~ From the same acting company. warning: distrubing images but no nudity in this clip.
1977 Equus movie trailer ~ Staring Richard Burton and Peter Firth. Directed by Sidney Lumet

YouTube - Equus Commercial

Feel free to discuss your feelings about it and if you are ever so lucky to be able to actually see one of these performances please tell us about it.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Fan Forum Star

The last thread got beyond 300 without notice. So here's a fresh one.

Earwax Efron talks about Dan in his interview about 17 Again.

Zac Efron Talks To Sky News About New Role In 17 Again - Sky News Video Player

I love how he messes up how you say Equus. He says Equius. Sorry Zac, try again.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:53 PM
Total Fan

LOL at Zac and the whole earwax thing!
Dan wishing me Happy birthday =WIN!
MischiefManaged1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Fan Forum Star

Lol at Zac.

Thanks for starting the new thread.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:26 AM
Master Fan

Oh Zac. *pets him*

Thanks for the new thread Amy.

"A powerful woman is someone who exudes confidence, who can be tough but fair and kind. And who knows how to get what she wants."
Leo-4-Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Fan Forum Star

I think Zac is jealous of Dan frankly. He saw how successful Dan proved he's not just a one trick pony and now Zac thinks, yeah I should do that. Hence suddenly dropping out of yet another musical movie (the Footloose remake - which if you asked me is a terrible idea to begin with.)
Old 04-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Master Fan

LOL at him and all his musicals. He does sound a bit envious I agree. Poor Zaccie. LOL. Tsk tsk.

"A powerful woman is someone who exudes confidence, who can be tough but fair and kind. And who knows how to get what she wants."
Old 04-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Fan Forum Star

Dan has his first nomination for Equus on Broadway! For best performance. Lots of competition but it's still very cool!

2008-2009 75th Annual Drama League Nominations Announced
Old 04-22-2009, 03:04 AM
Master Fan

Oh yay! That's wonderful!

Old 04-22-2009, 07:33 PM
Fan Forum Star

Stiff competition but it's an honour to be nominated regardless.
Old 04-23-2009, 03:51 AM
Master Fan

It certainly is. I'm happy for him!

Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Fan Forum Star

Next month is Tonys. If that competition list is anything to go by, I'm a little worried.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Total Fan

I know. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

*Fingers crossed for Dan*
Dan wishing me Happy birthday =WIN!
MischiefManaged1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:58 PM
Master Fan

We can all hope for the best. Even if he isn't nominated, we know he still did a hell of a job!

Old 04-24-2009, 04:18 AM
Fan Forum Star

True. Still I want him to come back for the ceremony but if he's not nominated he probably won't. Or rather probably can't with all the DH and HBP stuff going on.
Reply   Post New Thread