Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2018, 01:19 AM
Dedicated Fan

oh, i agree, when i said it sounds like a tribute band in some parts, was probs a poor choice of words :p solid album overall, i dunno how to explain what i'm trying to say, part of me was hoping he wouldn't sound exactly like Scott i guess, spice things up instead of playing it safe :p He does have a really good voice though and the live stuff they've done have been great, and Jeff is less of a yo-yo regarding mood, stability and passion than Scott eventually was, which is good. Hopefully they tour Australia

But for example, Duvall of AIC brought something new, and didn't sound exactly like Layne but I still really enjoyed his vocals, and they struck a balance between fresh and classic AIC. Interesting to compare the two; in contrast STP went with someone who sounded like Scott. Both approaches worked though.
Major Blank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 04:11 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Blank (View Post)
oh, i agree, when i said it sounds like a tribute band in some parts, was probs a poor choice of words :p solid album overall, i dunno how to explain what i'm trying to say, part of me was hoping he wouldn't sound exactly like Scott i guess, spice things up instead of playing it safe :p He does have a really good voice though and the live stuff they've done have been great, and Jeff is less of a yo-yo regarding mood, stability and passion than Scott eventually was, which is good. Hopefully they tour Australia

But for example, Duvall of AIC brought something new, and didn't sound exactly like Layne but I still really enjoyed his vocals, and they struck a balance between fresh and classic AIC. Interesting to compare the two; in contrast STP went with someone who sounded like Scott. Both approaches worked though.

Nah, I get it it's easy to have differing opinions especially in cases like this

I love Duvall in AIC too but it's the opposite for me, I don't like him as much because his range can be quite different from Laynes. Oh well, I'd rather discuss them positively like this then on social media where bands aren't allow to pay tribute or do the songs justice and are just supposed to be done:
Old 04-01-2018, 12:33 AM
Dedicated Fan

definitely, and that's one of the great things about music

fair enough layne and duvall do have differing ranges.
ahaha, i don't think this type of polite discussion would be possible on facebook, youtube etc

speaking of replacing grunge singers, i'm glad nirvana retired and didn't try to replace kurt tbh. Kim Gordon is another one of Sonic Youth who would be hard to replace imo. what are you thoughts on adam lambert fronting queen? (i know queen aren't grunge) :p

Last edited by Major Blank; 04-01-2018 at 02:37 AM
Old 04-01-2018, 10:09 PM
Elite Fan

I'm glad about Nirvana too. They could easily replace him with someone like Shaun from Seether and I'm glad they haven't. I think a part of it is that Krist had such a very personal bond with Kurt that he'd see it as an insult.

I've never heard Lambert with Queen so I'll have to reserve judgement. I liked them when they had Paul Rodgers in the band and I always respected that they rebranded themselves as Queen + Paul Rodgers
Old 04-02-2018, 08:44 AM
Dedicated Fan

yeah, definitely! agree, and Kirst has always seemed like a sensitive, reserved, soul, from what i've seen of him. Pretty different personality wise to Dave imo, who is pretty outgoing. and also, it was more than Kurt's vocals, his character and outlook was a big part of Nirvana's legacy (and his tragic passing unfortunately, RIP Kurt), you could tell he was troubled and discontent .

yeah, i enjoyed their stuff with Paul Rodgers. I must admit, i haven't checked out much of Queen's stuff with Lambert either, but i do know they refer to themselves as Queen and Adam Lambert, which i respect.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:16 PM
Fan Forum Star

I agree.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:00 AM
Moderator Support Team

-Jenn DeLeo has filed for divorce, alleging domestic abuse and abusing drugs/alcohol while endangering the life of the couple's daughter
-The couple married in 2012 and had been dating since 2010
-Court documents found by TMZ show a 2012 incident where he took his baby daughter into the ocean while he was “completely inebriated”
-Jenn has also accused Dean of various physical assaults and strangulation attempts on her, abusing his son from a previous marriage, and threatening suicide should she leave him

She took to Twitter this weekend to encourage others to leave their abusive relationships:
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Star

Omg wow sad news. Thanks for posting.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:43 AM
Elite Fan

That's sad news

Hopefully it gets resolved and isn't a he said she said, those things get messy.