Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 07-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Master Fan

I'm not happy with this, this means we will have to wait longer

Quote:
Sony has pushed back Cameron Crowe's untitled romantic comedy from December 25, 2014 to May 29, 2015.

The Hawaii-set film features an all-star cast including Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone and Rachel McAdams. It follows a military contractor (Cooper) who returns to the site of his greatest career triumphs – the U.S. Space program in Honolulu, Hawaii – and reconnects with a long-ago love (McAdams) while unexpectedly falling for the hard-charging Air Force watchdog (Stone). Bill Murray also stars as an enigmatic billionaire with suspicious intentions.

The cast is rounded out by John Krasinski, Danny McBride and Alec Baldwin.

Crowe wrote and directed the project, and produced it by Scott Rudin. Ilona Herzberg, Eli Bush and Ben Waisbren executive produced.

The new date puts the film up against horror sequel Insidious Chapter 3 and Paramount’s Monster Trucks.
Cameron Crowe's Next Movie Bumped to May 2015
Old 07-21-2014, 02:48 PM
Dedicated Fan

lol the people at the awards watch forum predicted this
Old 07-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Master Fan

The Wrap has the following statement from Sony:
Quote:
“Once we saw the film, we knew that it would make a perfect summer release. The movie is Cameron at his best,” said Jeff Blake, chairman of worldwide marketing and distribution for Sony Pictures.
Cameron Crowe Movie Starring Bradley Cooper, Emma Stone Delayed to 2015 - TheWrap
They also mention "An awards season release later this year is not in the cards for Sony's romantic comedy" in their report Sony doesn't mention a delay because of technical problems so I guess they are now aiming more for a box office success and not a critical one (although in the end studios are probably always aiming for both)

EDIT: Also wondering if this means if the post production is finished since chairman of Sony mentions that they saw the film.

Last edited by winterbird; 07-21-2014 at 03:50 PM
Old 07-21-2014, 06:46 PM
Dedicated Fan

Yeah, I think post-production is over, and the film will probably sits in its can until May

Maybe we'll see its trailer attached to some January/February movies then? D:
Old 07-21-2014, 08:17 PM
Master Fan

This is such a total bummer. I was so hoping it would end up at TIFF this Fall.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:28 AM
Master Fan

so sad.... i'ts probably because the first critic was bad..

09/11/01=NEVER FORGET RIP PAUL WALKER- CORY AND NAYA
Elodie"Aujourd'hui il va pleuvoir,mais demain le soleil brillera..."
Old 07-22-2014, 04:37 AM
Master Fan

It's a possibility that it is because of the test screenings. Some movie and news sites also mentioned something similar: That it's never really a good sign when the studio pushes back a movie release date. However it's a summer release date now and Sony didn't push it back to early 2015. I would have been more worried if they did push it back to early 2015.

It's also a possibility that New Regency wanted to focus on Gone Girl and Birdman this award season? Both movies already get lots of buzz. I was talking to Amanda about this. They might take the same route as Sony Classics did with Midnight in Paris (Cannes, then limited release also in May before going wide and a re-release in the fall closer to award season).
Old 07-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Dedicated Fan

I don't think they will do a "Midnight in Paris" though. That was an exception because it was a Woody Allen that actually got good reviews, and I can't picture a Cameron Crowe movie appearing at Cannes. Aren't his movies more American than European? I think it would take a lot for a movie like this one to appear at such a posh event like Cannes.

But yeah, at least it didn't get pushed to early 2015, in the crappy movie season (January/February). I would be more worried then.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:23 AM
Master Fan

Grand Budapest Hotel had a February release this year but did really well. It's going to be interesting to see if Grand Budapest will be part of this award season.

I just realized Rachel and Emma Stone 'competed' in the box office last week. Emma's movie Magic in the Moonlight had a limited release just like AMWM. Both movies did pretty well AMWM grossed more in total but Emma's movie had a higher average per screen.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:03 AM
Master Fan

I was reading Emily Blunt's USA Today interview and I noticed this quote:
Quote:
She’s also coming to terms with what it means to be a first-time mom and going back to work this summer on the drama Sicario, with Benicio Del Toro.

“It splits your focus, obviously. I do love my work. I’m a little leery of going back to work in a way I never used to be. … But I think it’s a good thing to do both. Having a baby will make me very specific about what I choose to do,” she says.

Speaking of, there’s possible marital drama standing in the way of her soaring career. Her husband’s as-yet untitled Cameron Crowe film conflicts with Into the Woods. “John and I both have movies coming out Christmas Day, so we’re going to duke it out. We’re going to have separate Christmases of course. See you whenever!” giggles Blunt.
Emily Blunt has big plans for 'Tomorrow'
Untitled Hawaii is pushed back but it would have been kind of fun to see both Emily and John doing promo rounds for their movies at the same time
Old 08-07-2014, 02:33 PM
Master Fan

Sony moved Seth Rogen's new comedy The Interview to Christmas day this year. This slot was previously set for Untitled Hawaii:
Quote:
Having moved Cameron Crowe’s untitled project out of Christmas to summer 2015, Sony Pictures has decided to drop Seth Rogen‘s controversial comedy The Interview into that date. The action-comedy starring James Franco and Rogen — who directed with Evan Goldberg — initially was set for October 10, so it moves it into a time when college kids start coming into SonyPictureslogothe marketplace on school break. “The combination of Seth, Evan, and James is pure comedic magic,” Sony President of Worldwide Distribution Rory Bruer said in a statement. “In our early screenings of The Interview, we’ve seen that they’ve delivered yet again, and we’re thrilled to be making the move to Christmas – one of the most important moviegoing days of the year and the perfect date to show off their brand of comedy.”
More: Seth Rogen's Controversial The Interview Gets Christmas Day Release Date
I'm not sure what to think of this to be honest. Maybe I'm reading too much into this but it kind of feels like the test screenings for the Interview went better than for the Untitled Hawaii project and this kind of worries me tbh...
Old 08-07-2014, 07:42 PM
Dedicated Fan

but isn't christmas day really competitive in terms of the film market?
Old 08-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Master Fan

It really is, it's one of the most competitive days of the year, Thanksgiving and Christmas are generally the busiest at every cinema I've ever worked in.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:27 PM
Dedicated Fan

idk. to be completely honest, out of all the upcoming movies rachel is gonna release this year and next (including AMWM) this cameron crowe movie and SOUTHPAW are the ones i'm more likely actually go to watch on opening day. who knows what it means if a studio pushes a film to the spring/summer season? i mean, this movie is set in hawaii after all! it kinda makes sense.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:18 AM
Master Fan

You are right Wendy, summer does seem like a good fit although it was also described before as a Christmas movie because it's set around that time.

I'm still kind of disappointed it got pushed back. I was really looking forward to it including to the press tour.