Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2016, 07:14 AM
Master Fan

Great interview, thanks for posting it, Lindsey!
Old 05-06-2016, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Great interview, I like and support her cause!
Old 05-10-2016, 01:31 AM
Master Fan

Sonic Sea is heading to Maui Film Festival:
Old 05-12-2016, 11:41 AM
Master Fan

From NRDC:
Quote:
Sounding the Alarm on Ocean Noise
Beneath the surface of our oceans lies a finely balanced, living world of sound, most of which we never hear topside. But to whales, dolphins, and other marine life, sound is survival, the key to how they navigate, find mates, hunt for food, communicate over vast distances, and protect themselves against predators in waters dark and deep.

Our oceans, though, have become vast junkyards of industrial noise — often louder than a rock concert — from commercial shipping, military sonar, and seismic blasts that test for oil and gas. The seas have become so loud, in places, that these great animals are drowning in noise that threatens their health, their future, and their very lives.

On May 19, the Discovery Channel will premiere an important new NRDC film that documents this shattering underwater peril. Sonic Sea calls on us to turn down the volume before it’s too late.

[...] The award-winning film is narrated by Oscar-nominated actress Rachel McAdams. It features interviews with the Grammy Award–winning musician and environmental activist Sting, as well as the renowned oceanographic explorers and educators Sylvia Earle and Jean-Michel Cousteau. It was produced by NRDC and Imaginary Forces in association with the International Fund for Animal Welfare and Diamond Docs. And it was directed and produced by NRDC’s multimedia and film director, Daniel Hinerfeld, along with Michelle Dougherty, a director with Imaginary Forces.
https://www.nrdc.org/experts/rhea-su...rm-ocean-noise
Old 05-13-2016, 08:10 AM
Master Fan

I'm looking so forward to watching this!
Old 05-13-2016, 12:27 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Me too, can't wait to see it!
Old 05-20-2016, 01:17 AM
Master Fan

Sonic Sea aired last night on Discovery, who managed to watch it?

Also, you can sign the petition over here:
Quote:
Every day, marine life is threatened by a harsh cacophony of industrial noise from shipping, seismic exploration, and naval sonar used for routine training exercises. This endless barrage of ocean noise is harming and even killing sea creatures. We must chart a more responsible course.

President Obama, please direct your federal agencies, including the Navy, NOAA, the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, and the Department of Transportation, to take immediate steps to reduce ocean noise pollution.

Using new tech to quiet ships, reining in the use of deafening seismic airguns, putting vital marine areas off-limits to Navy sonar, and other measures will go a long way toward curbing ocean noise.

This problem is fixable - if we act now.
https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rn-volume-down
Old 05-20-2016, 11:33 AM
Dedicated Fan

Very excited and curious about this. I hope it gets available for streaming or online watching as soon as possible.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:52 PM
Master Fan

I was just telling my friends yesterday how funny it was that I was saying I cried even though I don't have a heard but it's TRUE!
Old 05-23-2016, 01:45 AM
Master Fan

I made a round-up for RMO (based on the Discovery channel video) of what we can do to reduce Ocean noise:

Quote:
#1 Spread the word – Many people don’t know ocean noise pollution is a big problem! You can use the #StopOceanNoise and #SonicSea hashtags on social media to spread the word.

#2 Stay informed – Watch “Sonic Sea” and visit SonicSea.org for additional information. The documentary is currently touring around the world, for more information about the screenings and how to host a screening yourself be sure to head over to the official website. You can follow the social media accounts: Twitter @SonicSeaFilm, Instagram @SonicSeaFilm and Facebook.com/SonicSeafilm.

#3 Demand Change – Ask the white house to champion noise management efforts. Go to Discovery.com/OceanNoisePollution to sign the petition and be sure to spread the word about it. It takes less than a minute to sign the petition and you only need an e-mail address.

More here
The petition currently has 10% of the needed signatures. It needs 100,000 signatures by June 15, 2016 to get a response from the White House. It takes less than a minute to sign up, and you only need an e-mail!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:34 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I just signed the petition and confirmed it over my email!
Old 05-24-2016, 09:15 AM
Master Fan

That's great! I hope they will get enough signatures in time. 100,000 is a lot, but it's already at 10%

Old 05-24-2016, 11:44 AM
Fan Forum Legend

I look forward to seeing it!
Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM
Master Fan

Rachel has signed the Grassy Narrows letter:
Quote:
A diverse group of celebrities, musicians, artists and advocates — including Margaret Atwood, Rachel McAdams, Jane Fonda and Phil Fontaine — has joined the David Suzuki Foundation's call to clean up massive mercury contamination that has plagued the Grassy Narrows First Nation community in northern Ontario for generations. In the 1960s, a pulp mill dumped more than 9,000 kilograms of mercury, a potent neurotoxin, into the English-Wabigoon River.

"For over half a century, mercury has severely poisoned the river that is the lifeblood of the Grassy Narrows First Nation and their neighbours," said renowned broadcaster and scientist David Suzuki. "We must not delay; it is time to make their watershed healthy again so it can sustain future generations."

Earlier this week, scientists released a report concluding that remediation of the English-Wabigoon watershed is possible. The report was supported by leaders from the First Nation, who are demanding the Government of Ontario commit to cleaning up the watershed.
Tomorrow, residents from Grassy Narrows will finish their 1,700-kilometre trip from Grassy Narrows to Queen's Park during the River Run march. Participants will call on Premier Kathleen Wynne to take immediate action to clean up the watershed so it can safely sustain Grassy Narrows' families, culture and economy.

Today, the David Suzuki Foundation is also asking concerned citizens across Canada to join the call to restore the Grassy Narrows watershed by sending a message to provincial and federal leaders. The letter can be found at Stand with Grassy Narrows to clean up their toxic legacy | David Suzuki Foundation.
The list of prominent Canadians who have signed the letter include David Suzuki, Stephen Lewis, Rachel McAdams, Wade Davis, Margaret Atwood, Ed Begley Jr., Graeme Gibson, Naomi Klein, Leanne Simpson, Jane Fonda, George Stroumboulopoulos, Phil Fontaine, Mark Hancock (CUPE), Maude Barlow (Council of Canadians), Alex Neve (Amnesty International), Robyn Benson (Public Service Alliance of Canada), Bilan Arte (Canadian Federation of Students), Ghislaine Maxwell (TerraMar Project).
Prominent Canadians call on Ontario to clean up toxic legacy in Grassy Narrows | News
Old 06-02-2016, 01:11 AM
Master Fan

Rachel has signed another petition:
Quote:
More than a dozen celebrities — including A-listers like Rachel McAdams, Joaquin Phoenix and Jessica Chastain — have signed a petition to the New York Blood Center, urging them to continue funding a colony of chimps they’d performed research on for decades.

“Until NYBC keeps its promise and reinstates funding for the care of these chimpanzees, its name is synonymous with shameful animal neglect,” the petition reads.

“We implore NYBC not to ignore the plight of these chimpanzees any longer and work with The Humane Society of the United States to provide financial support for the chimpanzees without further delay.”

The petition, which was signed by 13 stars, will be sent to the NYBC on Thursday.

More than 60 chimpanzees the center used to perform medical research on are still living on islands in Liberia.

The NYBC had been sending supplies to the chimps since 2005, but stopped in March 2015 because of funding issues, the non-profit has said.

In the meantime, the Humane Society has been picking up the slack, providing care for the chimps with the help of donations.

“We understand the animal rights activists’ concern for the chimpanzees in Liberia, but their criticism of NYBC is not based in fact,” the NYBC has said in a statement.

“Along with spending millions to voluntarily support the chimpanzees owned by the country of Liberia for nearly a decade, we have worked diligently to find a long-term care solution and have made repeated offers to relocate them to a more accessible, stable location.”
Celebs call on NY blood center to support research chimps | New York Post
I can't find the original petition or direct link to the source.