Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2016, 01:04 PM
Master Fan

This is very exciting. Sonic Sea will air on Discovery Chanel later this year:
Quote:
Michelle Dougherty and Daniel Hinerfeld’s Sonic Sea and Paula Heredia’s Toucan Nation are the two remaining documentary specials set to air across Discovery Channel’s ‘Discovery Impact’ series later this year.

Created in partnership with Natural Resources Defense Council, Imaginary Forces and International Fund for Animal Welfare, Sonic Sea details the continued emergence of ocean noise pollution and the severe consequences it has on marine wildlife.

The film, which is narrated by Rachel McAdams, provides exclusive interviews with marine ecologists, ocean life experts and assorted wildlife activists, including Sting, to highlight how ongoing sound disturbances from shipping vessels and other sources have affected whales, including the phenomenon of cetaceans mass stranding themselves on beaches around the globe.

The ‘Discovery Impact’ banner is focused “on humankind’s impact on the environment” and the solutions available to societies, and builds off of the success of Louie Psihoyos‘s Racing Extinction, which reached more than 35 million viewers worldwide.

The two additional specials now join the previously announced water crisis doc Drought (working title) from Academy-awarded filmmakers Rob Epstein, Jeffrey Friedman, Barbara Kopple, Alan and Susan Raymond, and Sundance award-winning director Jesse Moss.

All three films will air worldwide across Discovery Channel, with Sonic Sea set to premiere on May 19 and Toucan Nation broadcasting July 30. Meanwhile, Drought is scheduled to debut on August 4.

“There’s no better use of Discovery’s global platform than to sound the alarm on the many threats to our environment and what better way to do that than to give voice to the greatest storytellers in our business,” said John Hoffman, executive VP of documentaries and specials at Discovery Channel, Animal Planet, Science Channel, in a statement. “When you can tell those stories in partnership with organizations like investigative news organization ProPublica and environmental action group NRDC, two powerhouses in their respective fields, you provide Discovery an unprecedented opportunity to create lasting, meaningful impact.”
Exclusive: “Sonic Sea,” “Toucan Nation” join ‘Discovery Impact’ » Realscreen
Old 03-29-2016, 04:20 AM
Master Fan

I hope it'll be online after that!
Old 03-30-2016, 07:20 AM
Dedicated Fan

This is great news! I hope it'll get available for online watching soon.

And the postcard that Rachel sent from Montreal is so cute! Thank you so much for saving it for so many years and sharing it, Lindsey!
Old 04-01-2016, 03:07 AM
Master Fan

Deadline confirms the Discovery Channel news:
Quote:
NEW DOCUMENTARY SERIES ‘DISCOVERY IMPACT’
This year, Discovery introduced DISCOVERY IMPACT at the 2016 Sundance Film Festival. Top documentary filmmakers from around the globe will shine their spotlight on crucial conservation stories to enlighten society on the most pressing environmental issues of today. The groundbreaking documentaries featured in this new series will focus on humankind’s impact on the environment and what individuals and society as a whole can do to solve some of the largest problems facing the planet. Three films that will air as specials under the DISCOVERY IMPACT banner include SONIC SEA, TOUCAN NATION and DROUGHT (working title).

SONIC SEA – SONIC SEA highlights the continued emergence of noise pollution in our oceans and those working to prevent its harmful effects on our marine wildlife. Directed by Michelle Dougherty and Daniel Hinerfeld, SONIC SEA travels beneath the ocean’s surface to uncover the damaging consequences of increased ocean noise pollution and what can be done to prevent the extinction of some of the largest creatures on Earth. Narrated by Rachel McAdams, and featuring interviews with marine ecologists, ocean life experts, and wildlife activists, including Sting, the film highlights how noise from both commercial and government ships and other sources, has affected whales in recent years, including the mass stranding of whales around the planet. The good news is that this is a form of pollution that can be stopped, as long as society has “the political will to solve it.” (Natural Resources Defense Council in association with Imaginary Forces and International Fund for Animal Welfare)
More: Discovery Channel Targets Launch Of Scripted Series On 2016-2017 Slate | Deadline
Old 04-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
Phoebe Tonkin

Thank you for posting that!

{taek su mi sun}
Old 04-04-2016, 01:53 AM
Master Fan

Another post card from greenissexy:

It's so great that even in 2007, Rachel already preferred to ride eco friendly
Old 04-04-2016, 04:38 AM
Master Fan

I love love love her handwriting!
Old 04-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Dedicated Fan

It's so great that you've saved these Lindsey, thank you so much I love her handwriting too and I'm very proud of her that she's been into this since forever - even before it became mainstream
Old 04-22-2016, 04:45 AM
Master Fan

Happy Earth Day everyone! Go to Earth Day - April 22 | Earth Day Network for more information
Old 04-24-2016, 02:23 AM
Master Fan

Still one of my favorite quotes!
Old 05-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Master Fan

Rachel attended a special screening of "Sonic Sea" yesterday, the documentary she narrated:
Old 05-05-2016, 02:50 AM
Master Fan

WHAT AN ANGEL! Thanks for sharing, Lindsey!
Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 AM
Master Fan

I'm so happy she was able to attend this screening, I hope now more people are interested in it and will tune in on May 19
Old 05-05-2016, 11:27 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Love the pics, I am glad Rachel is speaking out for the ecological environment!
Old 05-06-2016, 01:14 AM
Master Fan

People's interview with Rachel during the Sonic Sea premiere:
Quote:
Rachel McAdams is shining a light on the disastrous effects of underwater noise pollution with her new documentary, Sonic Sound.

McAdams, who narrates the Disney Channel film, explained how she became involved with the project a special screening on Wednesday. After receiving a rough cut of the documentary from its filmmaker, Adams told PEOPLE, "I was shocked by it and very emotional and surprised about how little I knew about what's going on in our oceans. You don't hear it, but it's a whole cacophony down there."

Compelled by the footage, the actress decided to lend her voice to the project, which was created in partnership with Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC), Imaginary Forces, and International Fund for Animal Welfare.

In the film, Adams explains the devastating impact that commercial shipping and other manmade endeavors have on oceanic sound waves. "The idea that a baby whale couldn't find its mom because they communicate through sound is so sad," said McAdams, giving just one of many examples of how industrial noise disrupts life under the sea. "And not only whales, but a lot of marine life – even shrimp – depend on their hearing," she added.

Growing up, McAdams lived near a lot of lakes and recalled that her local port was always polluted. "I remember just sitting on the beach because we could never go in the water," she said. "There was always a red flag up." It wasn't until she traveled to Australia at 21 and visited the Great Barrier Reef that she fell in love with the ocean. "I discovered this aquatic world down there that I had been missing out on," said McAdams, admitting "you can't get me out of the water now." Besides scuba diving and sailing, McAdams couldn't forget the beaches she visited there like White Haven Beach "which had the whitest sand I'd ever seen."

Keeping water clean and protecting marine life quickly became one of her priorities. "I want my kids to be able to go down to the little pond and not have to worry about what's in there," said McAdams. She wants to pass on her love for the ocean's creatures to her kids, but "we need to have these species around us forever or for as long as we can. This noise pollution is pushing a lot of them to the brink."

McAdams hopes this film will encourage others as it did her by presenting "tangible solutions and win-win situations." Making ships quieter would use less fuel, which would cut their bottom line and help the atmosphere with less pollution from gas and fuels. Even the Navy has begun tracking where marine life is so they can test their sonar in other places. Rachel envisions that we can solve this by "everybody being a little more mindful."

Could we find her out sailing the waters now? "I don't remember how," said McAdams who became certified in sailing for Wedding Crashers. "That was over 10 years ago now and I enjoyed it at the time, but it's a little intimidating now." She adds, "It is sort of scary that I could take a sailboat out though, so look out!"

Sonic Sea premieres on the Discovery Channel on Thursday, May 19th at 9 PM ET/PT. To learn more visit sonicsea.org.
Rachel McAdams Premieres New Documentary Sonic Sea : People.com