Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Master Fan

Doctor's Report #5/GA News - No more big articles in Italics!

New Thread

Keep the summer buzzin'!

Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
June 07, 2006 04:58 PM US Eastern Timezone
Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey Scrub up Nicely for New York & Company; Clothing retailer selects primetime's hottest pairing as the face of its fall collection
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 7, 2006--New York & Company, Inc. (NYSE: NWY), a specialty apparel chain with 534 stores, announced today, that the new faces for its Fall 2006 marketing campaign will be Ellen Pompeo and Patrick Dempsey, better known as the will-they-won't-they-again couple Meredith Grey and Derek 'Dr. McDreamy' Shepherd of Grey's Anatomy.

Shot on location in East Hampton in May of this year, the campaign showcases not just the company's striking fall line, but also the sizzling chemistry between the co-stars. "That's the big difference between shooting a couple that knows one another versus hired models - they already have a working relationship," explains a New York & Company executive, recalling the shoot as one of the best he's ever overseen. "Patrick is very charming and funny - he's a one-stop source of one-liners; Ellen was trying to concentrate so hard on getting the right shot, and he kept cracking her up. There was such great energy the whole day."

No doubt Pompeo was glad to wear something other than crisp green scrubs for a while. In the 16 outfits shot, she showcases New York & Company's signature perfect fit pants; the perfect silhouette is cut to fit, so every measurement, be it petite, medium or tall, is individually tailored to a woman's body and proportions. Pompeo is also shown in a range of tailored tops as well as 80s-influenced long-waisted sweaters. The standout is a lightweight cowl-neck - appropriately enough, in light grey.

New York & Company took a savvy gamble on the series' cliffhanger when they approached the pair a few months ago. "Our customer is very invested in TV - what's going on and who's hot. Nothing's hotter (or steamier) than Grey's Anatomy and that's why Ellen and Patrick were such a perfect fit. All of America is waiting for them to get together and I guessed that the season would end the way it did." The only downside to the shoot? "Neither Ellen nor Patrick would give any hint about what's coming up on the show!"

Contacts
New York & Company
Robert J. Luzzi, 212-884-2548
Cool!
Old 06-07-2006, 06:24 PM
Elite Fan

Thanks for the great article, Steph...

And just a quick nod to the last thread's ending convo about CTV...have to agree that it's the major network nailing all of the major shows on every US network. Have to give them credit for knowing what the people want to watch...

So far as the episode discussion next season with the earlier airing for Canadians, my vote says that we should be able to discuss the episode on the ep discussion thread after viewing without having to use spoiler tags...especially with such a large percentage of Canadian fans. However, I'd suggest keeping the new ep discussion strictly to the episode thread until after the episode has aired on the east coast in the US... I believe that should be workable...unless Pia has any other suggestions...

Oh, and I did manage to come across some rather interesting news today from a few places...

Quote:
Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes has renegotiated a deal with Touchstone Television for $10 million, extending the medical series to 2009.
Was happy to hear this, since barring any unforeseen situations, this ensures us at least another three seasons of the show...

This next piece of news gave me some mixed feelings in a way, but it comes from National Enquirer, so I'm not even sure how much credence to give it. I'll let you decide for yourselves...

Quote:
Secret Reason Grey's Anatomy Beauty Is Scared To Get Married

By RICK EGUSQUIZA

There's a secret reason why Grey's Anatomy star Ellen Pompeo hasn't wed her longtime love — his criminal past!

Friends say the 36-year-old actress — who plays Dr. Meredith Grey on the hit ABC medical drama — is proceeding with caution when it comes to hunky beau Christopher Ivery, 38, because she can't forget the felony conviction that sent him to jail for more than a year.

"Ellen loves Christopher to death but she can't help feeling that there may be someone else out there better suited for her," a pal told The ENQUIRER.

Chris' criminal past wasn't that important to Ellen when she was a struggling waitress, but now that she's on one of the top-rated TV shows, her feelings have changed as she thinks about her future, says the pal.

"She's had a few of her co-stars try to set her up on dates with some well-known bachelors. Ellen declined the offers for now, but she's having second thoughts.

"Marrying a guy with a criminal past is just not something she envisioned for herself."

In 1994 Christopher pleaded guilty to postal theft and credit card fraud. He served 14 months in prison.

"If she hasn't married Chris by now, it may never happen," said the friend. "She owes it to herself to find Mr. Right and not settle for a man she's having second thoughts about."
And for our resident Aussies...

Quote:
Coming soon
June 07, 2006

THOUGHT today I'd just give you a bit of a rundown on what's coming up over the next little while.

Just to keep you in the loop. Because what if one of these new shows is good, actually good enough to watch? Can you imagine? So I'll tell you and you can decide.

OK. Grey's Anatomy comes back on the 19th. People seem to quite like that Patrick Dempsey who's in it. Boston Legal's got Tom Selleck as a guest star that same night, by the way, nothing to do with Grey's Anatomy but I just remembered. Boston Legal's actually a pretty funny show, not that you'd be watching it - you'd be well into the REM part of your night's sleep by the time it finally cranks up.

Have you stuck with 24? Or did you give up when you realised the title wasn't to be taken at its word? There's something to be said for a series that has just the one episode. I'd like to see them try that with Big Brother. 24. Sorry. It's back that week as well.

Seven's putting it about that they're going to be the only network with a US sitcom and I guess that's true, although I would've thought The Simpsons just about qualifies. Like, it's funny and it's from the States. Everybody Loves Raymond?

Anyway, Seven's got My Name is Earl, starring a cute guy called Jason Lee some of you kids might know from the movies. Not that he looks cute as Earl. He's got one of those moustaches you might find on a sex offender. Even the name Earl - you know this is going to be somewhat white trashy. No offence, you Earls out there. Are there any Earls reading today? It's not a name you hear much, now that Princess Diana's brother seems to have wandered off.

The other one is How I Met Your Mother, which I'm hearing, though I haven't seen it yet, is a real sitcom - ie, pitched fairly low. These will be on a Wednesday night, fyi.

I heard John Wood, ex Blue Heeler, was doing some specials for Nine. I thought, he's all right, he's just been handed a Gold Logie, better find out what that's about. He's doing specials all right - Wine Me, Dine Me: A Journey With John Wood and a Postcards type one. Don't know Postcards? You wouldn't. We don't get it here. Won't be getting Wine Me, Dine Me either.

You heard about the redundancies at Nine, did you? I'm told there'll be one reporter going from Brisbane and that's probably about it. Must be a well-paid reporter, is my thinking on that.

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air? Would you call that a sitcom?
Old 06-07-2006, 06:27 PM
Master Fan

I never believe anything the trashy tabloids say. Especially after one of them reported saying there was major fighting happening on the set of ER back in season 6. Really? Then how on earth did they ever get any filming done?

So yeah, I'm not buying it one bit.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Fan

Thanks for the articles. Ellen and Patrick for NY&C, awesome.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:06 PM
Fan Forum Hero

The New York & Company thing sounds cool. I actually wear a lot of their clothes. It kind of sounds like the deal the Roswell cast had with Levi's way back. It'll have some great pictures I'm sure.

Steph, I agree about the article. I don't think it's true at all. If that were the case, they would have broken up months ago. If he served time in jail, then he's paid for whatever crime he comitted, IMO.

Quote:
So far as the episode discussion next season with the earlier airing for Canadians, my vote says that we should be able to discuss the episode on the ep discussion thread after viewing without having to use spoiler tags...especially with such a large percentage of Canadian fans. However, I'd suggest keeping the new ep discussion strictly to the episode thread until after the episode has aired on the east coast in the US... I believe that should be workable...unless Pia has any other suggestions...
I don't really. It sounds fair to me. And we can deal with it when the time comes. It's not for months.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:09 PM
Master Fan

I'm just waiting for the day one of those tabloids claim there's fighting on the set of GA. It seems to happen to every hit show. They were always saying "Is the cast of Friends really friends? Not exactly!" and they did it with ER and I believe they did it with Desperate Housewives too. So it's only a matter of time before it happens to GA. When it does happen I plan on laughing my ass off instead of getting upset over it.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, they had a field day with the DH cast. I mean I'm sure casts have their tiffs and fights. But that's every workplace.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Elite Fan

Well, I'm definitely not surprised that they project Grey's Anatomy to go at least another 3 seasons. That would make 5 for all that are counting, and most certainly syndication...which is the goal of every show on TV aside from the major goal to not get cancelled

Alex

The Dark is generous, and it's patient, and it always wins - but in the heart of it's strength lies weakness; one lone candle is enough to hold it back.
Love is more than a candle.
Love can ignite the stars.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdreamylover
So it's only a matter of time before it happens to GA. When it does happen I plan on laughing my ass off instead of getting upset over it.
You and me both...

Quote:
If that were the case, they would have broken up months ago. If he served time in jail, then he's paid for whatever crime he comitted, IMO.
Well put...I agree...

Quote:
I mean I'm sure casts have their tiffs and fights. But that's every workplace.
Exactly...I mean, it's not like little daily tiffs and nitpicks are the end of the world...or a real indicator of how well everyone's getting along normally. We all have our off days...

Quote:
Well, I'm definitely not surprised that they project Grey's Anatomy to go at least another 3 seasons. That would make 5 for all that are counting, and most certainly syndication...which is the goal of every show on TV aside from the major goal to not get cancelled
All fine points, Alex...but I know some of us were nervous about the fate of the show with the predicted Thursday move, so this news eases the mind some... Not that I thought the show would be getting the boot, but figured Thursday night would be a tough night for any show...no matter how great it is...
Old 06-08-2006, 01:59 AM
Supreme Fan

i found this

Quote:
June 7, 2006, 7:17PM
TV FEATURE
Denny doesn't go without a fight
Just ask all the weeping fans of Grey's Anatomy

By MARY MCNAMARA
Los Angeles Times

LOS ANGELES - He did not go gently, neither was he proud. Jeffrey Dean Morgan hoped, prayed, schemed and finally begged for life. At one point, he marched into show runner Shonda Rhimes' office, turned those big shining eyes on her and pleaded: "Please, please, just let me live."

Rhimes was sympathetic, but Rhimes was firm, and on the season finale of Grey's Anatomy, Morgan's beloved character, Denny Duquette, survived a difficult heart transplant, asked Izzie to marry him, got her to say yes and then, in the last few minutes of the show, had a stroke. While no one was watching, save the 19.9 million viewers sobbing in their homes, Denny quietly breathed his last.

"It was a grim day, let me tell you," Morgan says of shooting his death scene. "A dark, grim day. I'm still not over it. It broke my heart to leave that show."

The show, which follows the exploits of a group of Seattle surgeons-in-training, including Izzie and title character Meredith Grey, is one of the biggest hits on television. It has a devoted following, many of whom were apparently holding out hope that Denny, a long-ailing patient, would somehow pull through. After his death, countless fans lit up the ABC switchboard in sorrow and outrage. A few have circulated petitions in hopes that somehow Denny can be resuscitated.

"I don't think so," Morgan says with a grin. "I mean, I was blue."

But death does not trump fame; in some cases, it fosters it. After working as an actor for more than 15 years, after having guest appearances on "pretty much every TV show you can think of," Morgan has suddenly found himself a posthumous celebrity. Weeping women approach him in the supermarket, long-lost friends are falling out of the woodwork and, most important, producers and directors who wouldn't have given him the time of day a year ago are suddenly on the phone.

"It's very weird," he says, shaking his head with another one of those heartwarming grins Grey's fans would recognize at once. "I mean, I've been kicking around this town for years. And for an actor, it's usually just about paying the mortgage and keeping the dog fed. But now I can actually think about the kind of projects I want to do. Now I can actually say no if I want."

In fact, he said no to an audition that day — because he had just agreed to do a movie starring Lisa Kudrow and Teri Garr that begins shooting in Austin in a week.

"It's a small part," he says, "but can you imagine, Lisa Kudrow? And Teri Garr? I mean, Tootsie, that's just amazing."

Of course, if he had been able to choose precisely what he wanted to do, he'd be back on Grey's.

"Oh, I came up with lots of ideas for how I could come back," he said. "I mean, what if Denny had a twin brother named Lenny, who was a pediatric surgeon? They need a pediatric surgeon in that hospital."

Yet he went into the Denny gig knowing he was a goner. Rhimes had seen him as Mary-Louise Parker's dead husband on Weeds — "It has been the year for me to play the dead and dying," Morgan admits — and asked him to come in for an audition. "I almost didn't go because I wasn't feeling well, but when I heard she asked for me ... "

Rhimes is so secretive about her plots that Morgan was given only the barest information — that he would be in multiple episodes but that the narrative arc of his character would end eventually in his death. Which at the time was fine with Morgan.

"No one knew how much the story would take on a life of its own," Morgan says. "I don't think even Shonda knew how the fans would be drawn to the romance. It was pretty incredible."

Meanwhile, Morgan was experiencing what it was like to be a pivotal character in one of the hottest dramas on TV. And although to an outsider it might seem like an easy role — Morgan was in a hospital gown and in bed for virtually every one of his scenes — the confines of disease were quite a challenge.

"I definitely give it to the writers that they created a guy who could charm a room without moving, but it took a lot of effort sometimes," he says.

In fact, Denny was seen out of bed only twice, once in his first episode — "the only time you see him in clothes" — and then toward the end, when a surgical procedure makes him a bit more mobile.

"I had no idea what it would be like," he says. "How attached I would get. To Denny and everyone there. It is such a great show, such a great group of people. It was the only time in my career when I didn't mind getting up at 5:30 in the morning, didn't mind the 16-hour days. I couldn't believe it. So ... yes, I fought to stay."

He fought, other cast members fought, and even the network put in its two cents.

"We didn't get the final pages till, like, a day before shooting," he says. "And at the table reading, I can't bear to look, but I'm sitting next to (Patrick) Dempsey, and he's flipping through to the end, and he's saying, 'I don't see it, man, I don't see a death scene. I think you're going to live.' "

That was partly because the actual death of Denny occupied about three lines of the script. When he got to it, Morgan says, he literally fell off his chair onto the floor.

But as distraught as he is over his demise on the show, Morgan realizes he is standing on the ledge of one of those infamous windows of opportunity — the choices he makes next could whisk him, and his asking price, up into the local firmament or relegate him to a bit of Grey's Anatomy trivia. He would like to do movies, but television's good, too.

"I'm just looking always for characters that change, because I want to get better, as an actor and as a person. But basically," he adds, "I'd really like to work with Shonda again; I would follow that woman anywhere."

As indeed he is. He recently became the first actor to be cast in a pilot that Rhimes will shoot this fall. Who is he playing?

"I don't know," he says. "She just told me it was the best character she'd ever written, and that's good enough for me."
and this snippet from Star Pulse

Quote:
06/07/06 Fascinating Facts About Jessica Alba, 'Grey's Anatomy,' Slipknot & More

* Grey's Anatomy creator Shonda Rhimes has renegotiated a deal with Touchstone Television for $10 million, extending the medical series to 2009.

from All headline news

Quote:
"Grey's Anatomy" Creator Gets $10 Million Deal

June 5, 2006 8:11 p.m. EST

Josephine Roque - All Headline News Contributor

(AHN) - "Grey's Anatomy" creator inks a two-year deal with Touchstone TV for a reportedly cushy sum of $10m.

This ranks Shonda Rhimes at the top of industry as TV writer-producer.

The premium contract reflects the importance of her red-hot medical drama to the studio as well as ABC, which is banking on the show to revive its fortunes next season according to The Hollywood Reporter.

Next in the works for Rhimes is a new drama pilot about a group of female journalists.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Fan Forum Star

Thnx for bringing this over

I love the Jeffrey Dean Morgan article.. Very nice

Karen | Icon: shinebrighterxx] ღ [/SIZE]
Old 06-08-2006, 04:36 AM
Ultimate Fan

"Oh, I came up with lots of ideas for how I could come back," he said. "I mean, what if Denny had a twin brother named Lenny, who was a pediatric surgeon? They need a pediatric surgeon in that hospital."

He's cute. Good article.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:38 AM
Elite Fan

Loved the article about JDM and I am very curious what this show is going to be!

He also is filming "The Adventures of Beatle Boyin". He plays a character named Bruce and he just completed a show (I think) named Jam.

Thanks for sharing the article with us.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:13 AM
Master Fan

You know the hot sex scene we saw in the finale? Well that may be the last we see because of what I'm about to post and the fact that it's on at 9 now:
Quote:
House Passes Increase in FCC Fines
Penalty for indecency will jump to $325,000
June 7 2006

Janet JacksonTwenty-eight months after Janet Jackson sparked a renewed outcry to clamp down on TV- and radio-borne smut, Congress has passed legislation to do so.

The House on Wednesday overwhelmingly passed a bill that would raise the maximum fine for indecent broadcasts to $325,000 -- ten times more than the current limit of $32,500. The 379-35 vote follows passage of the same bill in the Senate and sends the measure to President Bush, who will likely sign it into law.

Once that happens, broadcasters will face a bigger hit to the bottom line should they let a curse word or overly realistic sex scene onto their airwaves between the hours of 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. It's a move that conservative watchdogs such as the Parents Television Council have been pressing for some time.

The flashpoint for the renewed debate was Jackson's Super Bowl halftime performance in February 2004, in which viewers caught a brief glimpse of her exposed breast at the end of a duet with Justin Timberlake. The Federal Communications Commission fined CBS $550,000 for the incident -- the then-maximum amount of $27,500 for each of the 20 affiliates owned by the network.

CBS is also facing a fine of more than $3 million for a broadcast of "Without a Trace" that featured a scene depicting a teen sex party.

Bills to increase the FCC's fining power have come up several times in Congress over the past two years, but before this week they all went down when the House and Senate couldn't reconcile their respective versions. The $325,000 maximum fine is lower than the $500,000 some House members had hoped for, but its members accepted the lower number to get the bill passed.

The bill also caps the fine for a "continuing violation" at $3 million.

The definition of what, exactly, constitutes indecency will be left to the FCC, which has sent some mixed messages on the subject in recent years. The commission opted not to fine ABC for a Veterans Day 2004 broadcast of "Saving Private Ryan" that included numerous profanities, even though a previous ruling had found that any utterance of the words "s**t" or "******" was indecent.

More than 60 ABC affiliates pulled the broadcast of the Oscar-winning war movie for fear of being fined.