Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2014, 01:30 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonorchid84 (View Post)
I was fairly underwhelmed with this episode and I'm annoyed an entire episode was dedicated to this, but in a way, I appreciate it.

I was frustrated enough that the first four episodes Callie and Arizona were going in circles and not going anywhere. I would have hated to have spent a season watching the disintegration of their marriage. This felt like an homage to what they were and explanation for why they can't go on like this.

I don't have sides per se, but Callie isn't the victim everyone makes her out to be, and she got on my nerves this episode. I understand not wanting to separate, but her wife says she needs this, and she acted like a petulant child to her and to everyone else cause she didn't get her way.

And why was this so Callie sympathetic? The Arizona parts were all her getting shat on from all angles (most of the time it was of her own doing, like breathing down Alex's neck, I felt bad for her but definitely knew she deserved that smackdown) while Callie gets sympathetic friends and girls drinking dates with Meredith. Arizona got a 30 sec scene with April (whom I miss so very dearly and Callie was nothing but stank face to her and that is getting on my nerves) and I swear, that was the first time in a long time she laughed like that, but we don't get to see or hear anything from her perspective about whats going on through her head, as usual. While I know exactly what was going through Callie's.

BUT, I did like the end with what Callie said. When it becomes painful to try and keep a relationship together, when there is no joy, then it may be time to let go. She wants to be happy and she wants Arizona to be happy. Neither of them are at this point. I feel like the only time lately we see Arizona being herself and like she used to be is when she's away from Callie. And Callie is an awesome character whom I like when she's not trying so hard with Arizona.

It's sad when in the last minute I am chanting, "please break up, please break up!".

Meredith was funny tonight, I like funny Meredith, lol. Her and Callie have come a long way.

I miss April and Jackson. So I'm glad Calzona is over and hopefully we are just done with them for a while.
All of this was my main problem with this epi and calzona as a couple in general. Arizona as a character was basically just a way to give Callie story and it made me not like Callie. Hopefully that changes from here on out.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
And why was this so Callie sympathetic? The Arizona parts were all her getting shat on from all angles (most of the time it was of her own doing, like breathing down Alex's neck, I felt bad for her but definitely knew she deserved that smackdown) while Callie gets sympathetic friends and girls drinking dates with Meredith. Arizona got a 30 sec scene with April (whom I miss so very dearly and Callie was nothing but stank face to her and that is getting on my nerves) and I swear, that was the first time in a long time she laughed like that, but we don't get to see or hear anything from her perspective about whats going on through her head, as usual. While I know exactly what was going through Callie's.
Ugh, because this is what Grey's always does. There are the "good" characters (Bailey, George, Derek, Izzie) and there are the "bad" characters (Meredith, Cristina, Alex, Arizona, Addison). The good characters always get excused for their behavior ("You are a good man", "it was for love") and never seem to face consequences for their behavior, while the bad characters pay and pay and pay.

I have always been neutral on Calzona as a couple and individuals, but after 3+ seasons of Callie's whining and bullying and interrupting and oversharing I am sick of her. She gets at least one episode a season dedicate to her story and her point of view and I am tired of hearing it. Arizona was a shell of a person this whole episode and I am ready to see her outside of Callie. Not to mention every other character outside of MerDer/Maggie/Callie.

3 out of the first 5 episodes have been gimmick/centric episodes and while they have been decent, they don't make for a very logical or cohesive season, IMO.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:30 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I liked it so much more than I thought I would. I just wish they'd decide on Calzona. A whole episode to decide to separate them but I'm sure it's not final so it seemed pointless. Stick to a decision because this back and forth is annoying and it's like Crowen 2.0. The acting was very good though, and I liked the patient stories.

Quote:
Ugh, because this is what Grey's always does. There are the "good" characters (Bailey, George, Derek, Izzie) and there are the "bad" characters (Meredith, Cristina, Alex, Arizona, Addison). The good characters always get excused for their behavior ("You are a good man", "it was for love") and never seem to face consequences for their behavior, while the bad characters pay and pay and pay.
I had never seen a more accurate description of the show. That's exactly what the show does.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:34 AM
Master Fan

I have serious issues with the favouritism on this show. One just has to watch this episode to check it out.

Callie had a client who was in unbearable agony and she felt miserable she couldn't fix it, and this was meant to parallel the problems she was having at home. The entire time the characters reminded the audience that it wasn't Callie's fault that the patient was in pain, there was nothing she could do. Just like it wasn't her fault that her marriage was imploding so naturally she freed herself from it and we are meant to sympathize with her for that. We're supposed to sympathize with the notion that she's free to go drinking with Meredith and complain about her bisexuality.

Contrast this to the way they presented Arizona's story. She was closed off, unable to offer her perspective on anything. She was abrasive towards Alex and we are shown it is her fault he scolded her. She was failing as a fellow and again we are told she isn't giving it her best, so it's her fault. She isn't trying, therefore she doesn't have the right to want to be with her wife at the end. The choice is out of her hands. It's laughable the subtle message this show shoves down our throats about who is worth or time or who is worthy to be rooted for.

Unfortunately I see through such tricks and rather than endearing me towards Callie, it makes me resent her at this point. I am resentful and completely disinterested in her storyline at this point. In fact, I am more interested in seeing what happens with Arizona's fellowship and how she continues on with her life from here on out. Maybe without Callie, she will be given a chance to speak!
Old 10-25-2014, 10:35 AM
Fan Forum Star

Arizona has a right to advance her career
Old 10-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Master Fan

The problem is Arizona doesn't have any connections outside of Callie, April, and Alex. So pairing her with a new character, even if she is played by Geena Davis, isn't doing her any favors. Arizona has always been dependent on Callie for a storyline, so as a character she's quite a bore. She was a bitch to Alex, and the only time we saw her with April was through Callie's perspective. I understand the argument that it's unfair storytelling, and unfortunately, that's how it's always been on Grey's. Callie, as a character, is more interesting to me because she's formed bonds with Meredith and Derek, who just happen to be my favorites. I realize I'm biased, and that's not Arizona's fault. I doubt they'll focus on Arizona as an individual during the separation, and I think GD's last episode is next episode. So, who knows what's in store for Arizona. I just hope Callie stands on her ground and focuses on herself. To me, she's much more enjoyable without Arizona. Unfortunately, that puts Arizona in the useless bracket along with Stephanie (I can't figure out why they keep Stephanie around. She's as useless as useless can be). Truthfully, Calzona and MerDer are the only ships with storylines this year. I'm guessing Calzona's is over for a few episodes, so Japril's will start and MerDer's will pick up...don't know what that means for everyone else.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:17 AM
Loyal Fan

The problem is Calzona is through Callie's perspective. Arizona was never her own character, she was a character brought on for Callie. Callie is and has always been an interesting character for me as well but when the show is blatantly favoring her against Arizona, I find she frustrates me more. Like how she was allowed to act like a brat and then become empowered through her ending her marriage while Arizona was viewed as selfish for just wanting to take a break.

I hate how there was an opportunity for Arizona to air some of her thoughts to April but we aren't allowed to see that since we saw THEIR interaction from Callie's perspective.
For crying out loud, we followed Callie as she walked out the therapists office after declaring she was done with her marriage. If that isn't some symbolism I don't know what is, lol

I highly doubt Arizona will be getting much focus now and this will be about Callie learning to love herself again.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:29 AM
Addicted Fan

Wow, deep episode!

Unlike what happened when Callie was betrayed, this time I think Arizona is right. Callie is forcing a situation with this story of baby, when what they need is to rediscover who are.

When they met they already was both excellent medical and think Callie advanced more professionally than Arizona. Thus, it is natural she wants to grab this chance to grow (for more than his mentor is hard to put up with). She is being very much pressed emotional and professionally. And I'm in favor what her spend more time in career.

As for Alex, I think she had the illusion that would continue in command of pediatrics through it. Only he wants to shine by themselves and this not wrong.

I really hope that Callie relax and they can devote themselves only to them, their careers and the daughter who already have, to maybe later increase a family.

I think with so many deaths and removal of characters, there is no definitive separation but hopefully what this crisis not drag during the entire season, as Crowen what went nowhere.

I loved the partnership of Callie and Mer. They have common issues and the scenes in the bar reminded me of the old days on Grey's, where there was fun and solution to medical cases. Many memorable scenes.

And the adorable Addie was remembered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortyK125 (View Post)
Also was happy for some April and Arizona.
Me too. April became this lovely person and a good friend to Arizona.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:40 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I hate how there was an opportunity for Arizona to air some of her thoughts to April but we aren't allowed to see that since we saw THEIR interaction from Callie's perspective.
It's completely absurd. It locks both April and Arizona out of a perspective. I hate how certain characters (i.e. MerDer, Maggie, Callie) are shoved down my throat at the expense of other characters' storytelling. It makes me resentful towards such characters.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Fan Forum Star

Yeah I hope we see Callie and Meredith bonding more
Old 10-25-2014, 12:05 PM
Master Fan

To be fair, MerDer hasn't really had that much screen time, so I don't know how they're being shoved down anyone's throats! They had 30 second scenes in episodes 1-3 and only 3 scenes in episode 4. And zero scenes in episode 5. Calzona, without a doubt, has had far more screen time than MerDer. Considering it's supposed to be a Meredith-centric season. Even so, Meredith is the lead -- as far as I'm concerned, the show should always be from HER perspective.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:24 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkxtwisty (View Post)
To be fair, MerDer hasn't really had that much screen time, so I don't know how they're being shoved down anyone's throats! They had 30 second scenes in episodes 1-3 and only 3 scenes in episode 4. And zero scenes in episode 5. Calzona, without a doubt, has had far more screen time than MerDer. Considering it's supposed to be a Meredith-centric season. Even so, Meredith is the lead -- as far as I'm concerned, the show should always be from HER perspective.
That is true and a little surprising to be honest, but there's been a lot of Meredith: MerDer, Meredith/Maggie, Meredith/Alex, Meredith/Richard, and now Meredith/Callie. So it's still going with the theme.

Although I don't need this show to be solely from her perspective, but thats just me.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Even so, Meredith is the lead -- as far as I'm concerned, the show should always be from HER perspective.
Preach! Ellen (and Patrick) are paid the highest for a reason after all lol.

Loved all the Meredith screentime we got so far. Now let's hope for the MerDer screentime, at least we know there's stuff coming.

Icon: Nikki
Old 10-25-2014, 12:38 PM
Master Fan

It's GREY's Anatomy, so it should be all about Meredith Grey and the people in her life. That's why everyone needs a connection to Meredith. She was the glue in seasons 1-10x4. Once that glue came undone in 10x5 is when the show fell apart. She needs to be the glue. Everyone's stories should funnel through her, IMO.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:44 PM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
It's GREY's Anatomy, so it should be all about Meredith Grey and the people in her life. That's why everyone needs a connection to Meredith. She was the glue in seasons 1-10x4. Once that glue came undone in 10x5 is when the show fell apart. She needs to be the glue. Everyone's stories should funnel through her, IMO.
I don't think they need to but thats what the writers are going for I'm sure this season, which makes me real nervous for my favs, Jackson and April, cause they are so isolated. Which I guess you can say about Arizona, Owen, Jo, and Stephanie as well.

I don't think the characters need to funnel through her, I just think there needs to be better writing.

But she is the lead and the draw so I totally get it. Like I said, its a ME thing.