Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Closed Thread   Post New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:23 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I can't wait for November 8th so we can remember that fall tv has happened and talk about fart jokes. lol

Negan is coming.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:20 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

I swear, it feels like this election is 20 some YEARS away instead of 20 some days. This is the most depressing, disheartening election that I can remember, and that includes 2004 when I was like 65% sure my preferred candidate was going to lose (and sure enough, he did). I'm pretty sure Hillary will win, which is what I'm clinging to. But even if/when she does, that won't erase the damage that the Trump campaign has done. I can't unsee how many racist. bigoted, misogynistic people are in my country.

NEGAN. I shouldn't be this excited, he's a terrible person. LOL.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:41 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Damn Kristen Stewart's a serial cheater. Why do anyone date serial cheaters?

And thank god I sent in my voting in the mail because I'm not comfortable with the stuff I'm hearing about voting poles since Obama ran for office.
Old 10-17-2016, 08:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Did she cheat again? LOL. I mean, the time she cheated on RPatz, that was wild, because she was legit begging to get caught.

I'm voting via mail, too. Trump insisting there is widespread voter fraud and telling his supporters to "watch" the polls is so dangerous. There is actually NO evidence that wide-spread voter fraud occurs in the US, and where specifically he's been telling them to "watch", it's usually largely black communities. So basically, he's telling his supporters to intimidate minority voters, WHICH IS ILLEGAL.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:53 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristofle (View Post)
Sam has never claimed to be impartial, though. LOL. He's made it very clear which candidate he prefers. We aren't arguing we ARE impartial- we're arguing you're not either, and furthermore that there's no real value in being impartial in this particular election. Only those who will never be impacted by the election can be impartial, and that certainly isn't me as I'm a US citizen.
1) The definition of impartial, according to google is this:

Impartial (Adjective) - treating all rivals or disputants equally.

So simply put, when you say "Yay Hilary, Yay Hilary, Yay Hilary, Yay Hilary, Boo Donald, Boo Donald, Boo Donald, Boo Donald"

That ISN'T impartial.

When I say "Trump would be like a petualent child as the president, he would be goaded into an argument or god forbid a war, easily. Hilary can not be trusted to follow through on her polices so why vote for her?"

That IS impartial, I care not for either and defend NEITHER of them.

2) I am impartial. But I live in the free world. The US president is also the leader of the free world. So I am both impartial and live in the free world. So what you said there, means nothing. Once more, you are displaying your inability to grasp what a non-vote is.

Quote:
ETA: and both candidates being white doesn't really have much to do in terms of which candidate keeps certain systems in power, because only one of these two spearheaded the birther movement and only one re-tweets white supremacists. Hillary Clinton is by no means perfect on racial issues, but there's a reason that African-Americans overwhelmingly vote Democrat, and indeed there's a reason why Democrats have been winning virtually every demographics other than white males in the past several elections.
I DIDN'T bring skin colour into this, Sam_Mc did. So do you want to ask him to explain that? Inparticular, ask him/her to explain how skin colour impacts on ones view on both candidates, especially when one is white. Hang on, they're both white.

Quote:
There is nothing in the Republican platform to indicate they care about the rights of minorities, about the rights of women, about religious freedom other than forcing their particular view of Christianity on everyone else.
As I said previously: "But neither of them are interested in the middle or working classes. They are only interested in looking after their own people."

Last edited by The Shadow Strikes; 10-17-2016 at 10:01 AM
Old 10-17-2016, 10:24 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Well, it's also commonly defined as:

Quote:
not prejudiced towards or against any particular side or party; fair;
So if you're prejudiced against both candidates, then that's not impartial. My argument is always that no one is as impartial as they think they are. There are very few areas in which I don't have an opinion, and usually if I don't it's because it's something like sports, where I don't know anything about the topic.

What would be the argument that Hillary Clinton has no interest in helping the working or middle class? I'm honestly asking. Do her Wall Street speeches overshadow her policy plans? Because she's certainly the only candidate whose POLICIES make any effort to help the working/middle class. Her voting record generally went that way as well. She isn't as progressive as Warren or Sanders on economic issues (although my issue with Sanders was that he didn't seem to have a comprehensive idea of how to go about implementing his suggestions- I'd have been more inclined to vote for Warren), but that hardly makes her the same as Trump imo.

Now, Trump's very few policy plans would be disastrous for working and middle classes, too. Furthermore, he's been shown to outsource jobs overseas and refuse to pay contractors in his own business.

ETA: and not to speak for Sam, but when I have made that point (that it's more comfortable for white people, especially but not entirely those who don't live in poverty, to either not vote or vote Republican), it doesn't have anything to do with the candidates being white or not. It's about their policies. On Facebook, my friends who are most invested in HRC being elected are much, much more likely to be: a person of a color, a woman, LBGT, or some combination of those. My relatives who are the most invested in Trump are exclusively white, and 3 out of the 4 are male. Plus two high school friends, both white males, one of which I de-friended and one of which I'm only not so as not to insult his wife. Obviously people of color voting for Trump exist- I see Ben Carson, much as I wish I didn't- but statistically it's a tiny number, and it's not shown in my own life. Every single person I know voting for Trump is white, and 90% of them are male. And not to you specifically, but to them, I often will call them out on their privilege.

ETA: and I know two people who are voting for Gary Johnson, both white men (one of whom is my brother. His wife thinks he's an idiot. LOL. As does my mother). And one Jill Stein supporter. Also a white man.

Last edited by Cristofle; 10-17-2016 at 10:37 AM
Old 10-17-2016, 11:36 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Well, it's also commonly defined as:

So if you're prejudiced against both candidates, then that's not impartial. My argument is always that no one is as impartial as they think they are. There are very few areas in which I don't have an opinion, and usually if I don't it's because it's something like sports, where I don't know anything about the topic.
If you want to use that definition, then I would simply have to disagree with you that I am impatial, and not biased in favour of either candidate. From here, the middle, you see that both sides are not that different in terms of being fed the information that their candidates want them to know.
The last time that I voted in British politics, was in the EU referendum this year. Before that? I can't even remember. And that is because of the candidates, they just don't inspire my belief that my vote would be put to good use. So this is not just a criticism of US politics, but of ours as well.

I agree with you on sports. That is a topic that I avoid, as I have not interest. I am not an expert on politics, but I do my best to be informed, and will defend my views as much as the next man.

Quote:
What would be the argument that Hillary Clinton has no interest in helping the working or middle class? I'm honestly asking. Do her Wall Street speeches overshadow her policy plans? Because she's certainly the only candidate whose POLICIES make any effort to help the working/middle class. Her voting record generally went that way as well. She isn't as progressive as Warren or Sanders on economic issues (although my issue with Sanders was that he didn't seem to have a comprehensive idea of how to go about implementing his suggestions- I'd have been more inclined to vote for Warren), but that hardly makes her the same as Trump imo.
Call it my cynicism of politicians, of which Hillary is an experienced one. It's the political experience that she has over Trump, that also makes incincere. If she felt that it would earn her more votes, she would go against all of her policies and join Trump's party.

Quote:
Now, Trump's very few policy plans would be disastrous for working and middle classes, too. Furthermore, he's been shown to outsource jobs overseas and refuse to pay contractors in his own business.
I did say that they don't care for anyone other than their own people (class wise). So I agree with you, there.

Quote:
ETA: and not to speak for Sam, but when I have made that point (that it's more comfortable for white people, especially but not entirely those who don't live in poverty, to either not vote or vote Republican), it doesn't have anything to do with the candidates being white or not. It's about their policies.

On Facebook, my friends who are most invested in HRC being elected are much, much more likely to be: a person of a color, a woman, LBGT, or some combination of those. My relatives who are the most invested in Trump are exclusively white, and 3 out of the 4 are male. Plus two high school friends, both white males, one of which I de-friended and one of which I'm only not so as not to insult his wife. Obviously people of color voting for Trump exist- I see Ben Carson, much as I wish I didn't- but statistically it's a tiny number, and it's not shown in my own life. Every single person I know voting for Trump is white, and 90% of them are male. And not to you specifically, but to them, I often will call them out on their privilege.
That is a weak argument. If people are not going to vote, it wont have anything to do with their skin colour. If we are honestly going to debate that, then what next, people not going to vote for fear of abduction by little green men? Come on now, seriously.

Quote:
ETA: and I know two people who are voting for Gary Johnson, both white men (one of whom is my brother. His wife thinks he's an idiot. LOL. As does my mother). And one Jill Stein supporter. Also a white man.
I've seen a little of Gary Johnson.... he doesn't exactly inspire confidence. He'd be dangerous that he would try to turn his tv on, and would end up nuking half of the planet without realising. Then again, he doesn't know his arse from his elbow, so his presidency will never be dull. While reading up on him, I came across this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnARyWQWnkg

It would seem that Gary has a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde thing going on. If his Hyde side takes over full time, and depending on his policies, he might just be the better candidate.

I can't say anything about Jill Stein, as I haven't really heard anything about her.

Last edited by The Shadow Strikes; 10-17-2016 at 12:06 PM
Old 10-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Quote:
If she felt that it would earn her more votes, she would go against all of her policies and join Trump's party.
This hasn't been shown in her history, though. I remember when the policies she was pushing and the things she was speaking for had her labeled as a far-left radical feminist, back when she was First Lady and she wanted universal health care and fought for international women's rights. She certainly knew those stances weren't popular- she kept fighting for them anyway. I've said it before, but the shift from how she was characterized when I was younger and how she's characterized now is jarring to me, because she's pretty much the same person. If anything, she's shifted farther left on things like LGBT equality and economic issues.

I actually don't know anyone who isn't voting in this election, and it's hard to gauge voter registration demographics because that is one area where it is on record that discrimination happens- in the registration of voters. I definitely think it's easier to vote Republican if one is white, and that's confirmed in voter registration and voting records. A stunning 90% of registered GOP voters are white, versus 56% of Democrats (the country is about 72% white). Those who willfully don't vote tend to be younger, is the most consistent demographic there. And I do think it requires a certain amount of privilege, whether that's racial, gender, sexual orientation, or economic. I feel like you have to be relatively certain your rights will survive this Presidency, lol, and while that's USUALLY overblown, not with this GOP candidate.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:52 PM
Extreme Fan

I am only saying what I have seen, but even those non-votes might be swayed to vote for any of the candidates. Wasn't the 2012 election turnout somewhere between 55-60%? I'm sure I looked on one site recently and saw it something like 57.5%. Other sites I have looked at, say differently, but not that far off. So we will know in a matter of weeks weather having the...
Quote:
worst candidates ever
...pushes that percentage down.
Old 10-17-2016, 06:54 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
I can't wait for November 8th so we can remember that fall tv has happened and talk about fart jokes. lol
Seriously. I guess there hasn't been a big standout show this season. Except for maybe This Is Us. And nearly all the returning shows haven't had the best starts.

Although, Grey's is still my boo.

Quote:
I can't unsee how many racist. bigoted, misogynistic people are in my country.
The world. The last few years has brought out the worst.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:44 PM
Elite Fan

Old 10-18-2016, 02:52 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

Oh, our voter turnout is abysmal. It's usually around 60ish. I just don't happen to know anyone personally who doesn't vote, lol, for better or for worse my family and my friends tend to be hyper-political. I totally agree with Sam that the notion of voting as a civic duty is completely lost on us. Although to be fair, on the other side, SCOTUS just gutted the VRA, so we're not exactly interested in making voting accessible for everyone.

I got caught up on a couple of the new shows this past weekend. I like Designated Survivor okay, and The Good Place. This Is Us is still my favorite new show. I may have fallen prey to the dreaded cable curse though, because my "I MUST GET HOME AND WATCH NOW" shows tend to be TWD and Game of Thrones.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:34 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Trump Supporters have broken CNN. Even CNN can't pretend to be awful anymore. That Uncle Tom Don Lemon has even grew a backbone starting with when he supported Colin Kaepernick too.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:53 AM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Mischa Barton

CNN anchors and their reactions to Trump surrogates is my new favorite thing, lololol.
Closed Thread   Post New Thread