Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 04-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

I have trouble downloading. My computer says that the format is not supported or something like that.

It wont download.

"There is a light at the end of every tunnel....just pray it's not a train!."
Old 04-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Master Fan

Found this here: http://www.theutdmercury.com/news/20...e-927901.shtml

Quote:
'City' sinful indulgence
An A-list cast for an old comic favorite

By Kevin Hageland
Published: Monday, April 18, 2005

Director Robert Rodriguez's new film "Sin City," shot mostly in black-and-white is based on the comic book series from Frank Miller.

With its release, Rodriguez was forced to drop out of the Director's Guild of America (DGA) because he listed Miller and Quentin Tarantino as co-directors, a practice that is not allowed by the DGA.

"Sin City" opened April 1 and immediately soared to No. 1 at the box office. Two Mercury staffers - Kevin Hageland and Gillian Towers - saw the movie on opening weekend and came away with distinctly different opinions.

GT: I really enjoyed this movie. The film deserves vast credit for its cinematography and special effects.

KH: Well, I thought the flick was awful, but I will agree that the visuals (shot entirely on green screen) were amazing.

GT: The plot revolves around the seedy exploits of three main characters in "Sin City": Hartigan, (Bruce Willis) Marv (Mickey Rourke) and Dwight (Clive Owen). Rodriguez really stayed true to the comic books

KH: I am glad you called them comic books. I hate the recent trend of calling these things graphic novels - they are damn comic books.

KH: Back on topic, though. I do respect the fact that Rodriguez wanted to replicate the comic books, but that really bogged down the plot. Some things needed to be cut and adapted for the big screen.

GT: In the past 10 years, there has been a rash of comic-based movies with a simple plot, if that. I like that "Sin City" is not reduced to a simple good versus evil theme.

KH: I agree with that observation, but only because the movie has no theme at all. When the movie started, I felt like I was just thrown into the middle of the story. The film had no character development and just seemed like a random series of events that were not connected in any substantial way.

GT: I completely disagree, but we have to move on. The movie has quite a famous cast. How do you think they did?

KH: I thought Benicio del Toro and Owen played well off one another, especially during the scene in the car where one of them is dead, but they still manage to carry on a conversation. However, Alexis Bledel left me very unconvinced with her portrayal of a prostitute.

GT: I totally agree about Bledel. She was surrounded by a bad-ass group of hookers with really violent talents, but it seemed like the only thing she could do was tattle-tale.

KH: Bledel probably thought she was just in a bizarre episode of "Gilmore Girls" ... not that I ever watch that show.
KH: The true standout of the cast in my opinion, though, was Rourke. His portrayal of the down-on-his-luck Marv was surprisingly good.

GT: I guess Rourke did a good job. I just couldn't get past how ugly they made him look.

KH: Have you seen him lately? I got news for you - that wasn't all makeup.

GT: Fair enough.

KH: Overall, I would not recommend this movie to anyone. Despite the groundbreaking effects, the empty plot and lack of character development was a huge disappointment and made me wish I had my two hours and eight bucks back. I give the flick 1 1/2 stars.

KH: That being said, I do think this movie is tailor-made for the masses. It has a lot of action, violence and nudity. Just like the flick's guest director, (Tarantino) this movie is all style and no substance.

GT: I thought the movie had many good qualities: excellent visuals, plenty of action and a solid comic adaptation. However, there were some plot flaws and acting disappointments. I give the movie three stars.
I thought they were a little harsh on Alexis, but then again, I haven't seen the movie. But I still think that people thought that she should be an bad-ass like the rest, when in reality that was not her role at all. Wasn't she supposed to seem like an innocent girl amongst all the not-so-innocent people?
Or what do you guys think, who have seen the movie?

Last edited by madelen; 04-19-2005 at 01:03 AM
Old 04-19-2005, 07:33 AM
New Fan

I don't know where to post it but the movie Sin City will be in the official selection of the festival de cannes in France, which will occur in may.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:33 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa2588
I have trouble downloading. My computer says that the format is not supported or something like that.

It wont download.
You must not have the right codec for it. Luckily a whole bunch of stuff will play it. It's divx 5.1.1. So the latest divx will play it. http://www.divx.com/. Just be careful! Download divx and not "divx pro" since they might still be bundling that with spyware. Better choice is download ffdshow which plays just about EVERYTHING or Xvid which will play divx. You can find a link to both on this page. http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/software.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by madelen
I thought they were a little harsh on Alexis, but then again, I haven't seen the movie. But I still think that people thought that she should be an bad-ass like the rest, when in reality that was not her role at all. Wasn't she supposed to seem like an innocent girl amongst all the not-so-innocent people?

Or what do you guys think, who have seen the movie?
I agree they are too harsh. After all when discussing casting Alexis they directors compared her to Dorothy from the the Wizard of Oz. However their comments were funny.

If I was to criticize Alexis for one thing it would be the lack of electricity between her and Benecio. But even then I've softened my opinion after making that first vid. I tried to eliminate the Clive/Rosario scenes in between but because I probably don't know what I'm doing the sound comes out desynched whenever I eliminate an "in-between" scene and encode. So I encoded the vid as three separate scenes and combined the three avis together. And while she seemed a bit weak and unconvincing in the first one. Seeming more like she's mumbling to herself than being a "seductress" she was far better in the last part especially with the "You couldn't handle a woman" line.

I loved in her other scenes. If you are trying to use the movie to decipher how well Alexis can act the answer is still cryptic. Can neither condemn it (like I certainly do with Jessica Alba) or necessarily put it on a pedestal. If I had to compare her performance with another famous actress I'd say Rachel Miner. Which is certainly not a bad actress to be compared to. More for their voice inflections when they get excited than the fact Rachel did also play a prostitute in Blue Surge.

My main problem with the movie is (particularly the part Alexis was in), as I said before, too much exposition and voice over from the lead character. Not enough dialogue and character development for the different players. If they had cut down on voice overs and expanded the stories (even if it meant going to three hours or cutting one of storylines) I think they could've gotten a better movie.

I really didnt care whether Clive Owens character lived or died. If they had given him a whee bit more development (like telling us he was actually a photojournalist) it would've gone a long way. Though Rosario's character was a bit better (got to see her tell Becky to try her hair so she won't get sick) she still was pretty one dimensional and I didnt really feel much compulsion to root for her besides that she seemed like a nicer pimp even if she enjoyed wasting stuff.. just because.

To give a small example involving Alexis when Clive Owens engineers the trade of Gail for the head head. Without knowing she is the snitch he leaves Becky with the bad guys. She voices suspicion on the head but that was after she was abandoned. Might've been nice if Gail had given clear orders to her leutenants that Becky is to be wasted to. Since Gail is the only one who knew that the girl the bad guys still had a gun pointed at was no long on their side.

But hey. Still not saying I didnt enjoy the movie. Just that I had higher hopes for it.
I'm bored and you're bald. But I laughed when you called me the snail. My trail runs behind me. I'm guilty. No secrets. You're not such a picture yourself

Last edited by Raja; 04-19-2005 at 08:40 AM
Old 04-21-2005, 03:27 PM
New Fan

i just saw sin city and i loved becky
i thought alexis did great
Old 04-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Master Fan

Hey marywendy! Glad yuo liked the movie and welcome to the board!

So, what was your favourite scene with Becky?
Old 04-16-2006, 11:30 AM
Total Fan

Alexis Movie Spoilers

Post any new movie spoilers here
Old 05-03-2006, 05:38 AM
Master Fan

I'm Reed Fish spoilers? Anyone?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

I got to see I'm Reed Fish when I attened the premier and after party for at the 2006 Tribeca Film Festival in April in NYC.

In the movie Alexis plays Kate Peterson who is the local Beauty. If anyone was to be voted Homecoming Queen in High school it would be Kate. Everyone in the town of Mud Meadow's knows the local beauty being Kate works at her dad's car dealership.

Kate is engaged to the lead Reed Fish played by Jay Baruchel a local DJ who works for his mom's local radio station and reports the local news on his town radio and on the local channel TV channel.

Kate and Reed share a special bond being both Kates mom and Reeds dad were killed in the same a car accident when they were kids. Everyone is getting ready for the wedding of Kate and Reed that will be taking place in a few weeks when one of Reeds old high school friends and Kates fellow high school classmate Jill Cavanaugh played by Schuyler Fisk comes to town.

Reed is at a cross roads in his life as to what he wants to do and finds comfort in his old friend Jill who he might still be in love with causing tension between Reed and Kate.

It gets even worse when Jill is asked to play at Kates cousins Andrew played by DJ Qualls wedding. Reed eventually kisses Jill and feels terribel about it and tells Kate. They try to work things out and want to stay together as a comfort zone being they both when through a trama of losing both paretnts at a young age in the crash.

However it doesn't work out and in the end Reed goes back to Jill.

However there is a twist in I'm Reed Fish. I'm Reed Fish is really a movie with in a movie. Reed Fish finally decideds what he wants to do in life and he wants to be a director and for his life story to be put into a movie.The characters Kate played by Alexis and Jill played by Schulyer are really actors in his movie. The real Jill is played by Shiri Appleby and the real Kate is played by Valerie Azlynn.

It was so creative how they show this in the movie. At one point the movie stops and we see Reed at his movie Permier with his audience watching the movie. He appoligises and the movie goes on. Eventually the movie ends and he congradulates his cast for the amazing job they did and the town of Mud meadows loves it and praises Reed for his wonderful achievement. At the end Reed ends up with his real life Jill played by Shiri Appleby at the end.

over all I loved I'm Reed Fish I found it to be funny interesting creative and a over all great story. I think you can rent it off of Net Flicks and I hope it comes out on DVD very soon!

Photos at Tribeca seeing I'm Reed Fish

The I'm Reed Fish Poster.

Me by the poster

Alexis inside the press box

Alexis chatting with Maggie Grace in the press box

The cast during the question and answer Alexis is the one all in black at the end.

Alexis outside at the after party at the Hideaway in NYC talking to her fellow co-stars

Here is the photo of Alexis and me at the after party

My Encounter of meeting Alexis

I got to meet Alexis Bedel at the after party at the bar called The Hideaway for her movie I'm Reed Fish at the 2006 Tribeca Film Festival in NYC.

It was funny I saw her at one point during the after party talking on her cell phone and looked like she was in a fight with who ever she was talking to on the phone with. So she came inside and was right near me at the bar. She ordered a drink but didn't like it so she put it down on the bar and went out side to catch some air.

So my friend Stacie who is a huge Gilmore Girl fan took her drink and we all drank out if it and were saying "We are drinking out of Rory Gilmore's drink" It was pretty funny. Alexis ordered a Cap Coder in case you were wondering.

After wards we were outside getting ready to leave. I was saying my goodbyes to the producer Peter and his PA Heather for thanking them for inviting us. I really pulled my magic getting me and my friends into the after party. It was a wonderful time. So worth it.

So while I was saying my goodbyes I noticed Alexis talking to one of her co stars outside. I told my friends I would be right back and that I wanted to meet her and get a photo. My friends said to me good luck being they tried and said she was kind of stand offish and snobbish ot them and that it was hard to get individual photos let alone photos at all and that they were lucky they got a group shot with her.

I didn't listen to them and I went for it being they were getting ready to leave any minute and I knew this was my chance. Plus I have been a fan of hers since Gilmore Girls and I also wanted to have a photo to share with this board as well.

So I went up to Alexis. I think she was having a bad night from what I observed. I felt kind of bad for her. So I was really nice and gave her her space which I think she respected as she was talking to her fellow co star. I think she must have seen me talking to Peter and Heather before and assumed I was friends with the I'm Reed Fish cast because she was nice to me.

I told her how I loved her in the movie and I didn't mention Gilmore Girls at all which I think she was happy about. I asked her for a photo and she smiled and said "sure". We then took the photo. I think in a way I made her night. At least I hope so.

My friends were in shock when I told them I got a photo with her. I guess a little kindness goes a long way. It was great to meet Alexis. Over all I am not going to say anything bad about her because lets face it we are human and all have bad nights and she was very nice to me so what more could I ask for. Oh and Yes Alexis is very tall and skinny. But she looked great at the I'm Reed Fish Permier.

Over all it was a wonderful experince meeting her and showing my support for her film I'm Reed Fish. She was wonderful in it.

Here is the photo of Alexis and me

Over all it was a great experince. Hope you guys have more wonderful Alexis fan encounters to share and that yours was as nice as mine.

Hope all is well.

Love,
Erin
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
4/18/11~ the day I brushed shoulders with Robert Pattinson!
Old 03-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Total Fan

Erin- Thanks for sharing your experience again. I love reading about it.

I'm glad you enjoyed to movie

I'm also glad that you to meet Alexis and she was nice to you
Old 03-02-2007, 10:21 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Aw thanks. I am glad you enjoyed reading it as well.

Yes meeting Alexis was wonderful. I was very lucky to have been able to catch her at the end of the night right before she left the party. I really can't say anything mean about the girl I honestly felt so bad for her that night. So I am happy I was able to make her laugh and smile as well. To be honest I knew she was very shy which people think of as being snobbish which is ashame because she really is a kind person. And I know what being shy is like being I am as well.

I know it might sounds strange but meeting Alexis really touched me I got to see how even actors and actresses are human and have bad days as well. So I pray for her and hope she is happy and has countined success.

I too think she was happy that I mentioned her work in Reed Fish and not in GG. I mean she is trying to be known for others things besides Gilmore Girls. I enjoyed her in Reed Fish as well as in the Traveling Pants.

Oh I'm Reed Fish is wonderful I really hope you get to see it. I'm Reed Fish has so many surprises and twists. There is more to her character then meets the eye. It was such a wonderful and creative movie. I highly recommend it!

I think you might be able to rent it off of net flicks. I hope it comes out on DVD really soon!
Roswell Board~Celebrating 300,000 posts of Silver Handprints, Alien Blasts, & Tabasco Sause "OMG your the girl I didn't puke on"~Stephenie Meyer to me in reference to meeting her at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con~8/1/08
Old 03-03-2007, 01:41 AM
Master Fan

Thank you so much for the spoilers and telling about your meeting with Alexis again Erin

The movie sounds really great, and I love the twist it has. Can't wait to see it!

I'm glad you had a good meeting with her. Yeah, some people don't understand that the actors and actresses are just regular people and have bad days like everyone. Glad you didn't judge her on the basis of that one night.

And yeah she is shy, which people can take as her being snobbish or something. I'm the same way, and I'm sure I've given that impression to some people.

Thanks again Erin!
Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 AM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Roswell

Aw Glad you enjoyed my photos and account. And yes I think Alexis is a sweetheart and will not say anything mean about the girl because she was very nice to me and is very shy as well which I totally understand being I am shy sometimes myself.

Hi Everyone,

I just got an email today from the producers Peter and Heather about the movie I'm Reed Fish that Alexis was in this is what they said:

Quote:
Hi again:

I wanted to let you know that the film will be released on June 1st this year. Please let all your friends know and help us get the word out. Please vote for the film on The Internet Movie Database (IMDb) if you can and let people know about our www.myspace.com/imreedfish page. The film can already be ordered on Netflix

Thanks for all your support and hope that you continue to make our film a success!

Heather + Peter
This news is so exciting! I can't wait to see the film again when it hits theaters June 1st!
Old 06-13-2007, 07:30 AM
Total Fan

With the new STTOP filming we will hopefully get new spoilers soon.

So far all we know is that it is based on the fourth book and bits and pieces of the second an third book will be in it.

Anyone know anything eles?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:33 AM
Master Fan

Yeah, hopefully we'll get some new spoilers soon.

I have to admit I know absolutely nothing about this second film. All I know is that part of it takes place in Greece.