Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2023, 01:02 PM
Graphics Team Manager

2023 Holiday Icon Set Competition

Banner by Chelle (shinebrighterxx)

Fan Forum Holiday Icon Set Competition
Get into the holiday spirit! Work together, and show us what your board can do!
Create a holiday-themed icon set on the topic of the board to submit to the competition.
Participation
Anyone can participate! Whether it be creating an icon set or supporting your fellow board members. Visit any of the participating boards and post your submissions. If you are browsing FF and notice that someone's fanart is good and you like their style, I encourage you to send them a PM! Ask them if they know about the holiday competition Together, we can make this a really fun and a successful holiday competition! Moderators please see this thread on the mod board to sign up your boards!

This year we will be changing the competition so be sure to read all information so you know what the new changes are. The first post provides information on the Holiday Icon Set Competition while the second post will provide information on the Holiday Fan Art Competition which is being held only on the Fan Art board.

Please read all of the rules before submitting an art to these competitions.

Holiday Icon Set Competition Rules
  • Each participating board will have a thread dedicated to the competition and it will be the place to discuss and post your icons. It's also a great place for suggestions. Each thread is linked below here in this post.
  • All of the icons must be holiday themed and flow together as you are submitting a set of 3-5 icons. You are free to use any technique (brushes, textures etc...). For help and tutorials, the Fan Art board is a great place to find it.
  • The icons you submit must be exactly 100x100 pixels in size and in JPEG or PNG format. No animated icons are allowed.
  • Each of your icons in your icon set must be of the same topic and of a similar style.
  • Final submissions should be a separate post in the thread marked with the words "to submit it for the competition" in red. This way, we will know that it is the final version of the art you would like to submit. It will be linked on the beginning post of the thread, updated frequently. If you do not see your art on that post a few days after you post it, please PM one of the Graphics Team Managers. The moderators of every board are responsible to add the icons to the OP by the deadline. Any icons that hasn't been added in by 24 hours after the deadline won't be included in the polls.
  • The deadline for art submission is December 21st, 2023 6pm EST. You must have your icons posted by that time to be considered. No exceptions. Please make sure that your upload site is reliable.
  • You may submit to as many boards as you wish, but it must be no more than 5 icons per board. You may most certainly make more and post it on the thread for people to see, however you may only submit 5 for the competition per board. There is no limit to how many boards you can submit an art for. You are also more than welcome to participate in both the holiday icon set competition and the holiday fan art competition.
  • Special notes:

For boards in the General Discussion category, you may only submit icons on a topic that does not include one in which there is a separate board participating. For example (hypothetical):

- If you make a One Direction art you would submit it to the One Direction board and not the thread for Music if One Direction is participating in the competition.
    - If you make a Kelly Clarkson art, the proper place to submit it would be the Music board because even though she has a board here at , it is not on the list of participating boards.
    - If you make a Harry Potter art you would submit it to the Harry Potter board and not the thread for Sci-Fi/Fantasy if Harry Potter is participating in the competition.

With regards to Couples submissions, you may not submit an icon set with a movie or TV couple that is from one of the boards participating in the competition on the Couples board.

• Please make sure to keep your artwork PG-13 and stick to the Forum rules.

What is an Icon Set?
An icon set is a collection of 3-5 matching icons which are all made using the same style. The set of icons should be designed to work together to appear in visual unity/harmony. There should be a consistent style across each icon to ensure they work together as one piece of art, not individual icons. When creating your icon sets please consider the following; does the set of icons flow together and work well as a matching set. If your answer is yes, then you've created an icon set.

While there is no right or wrong way of creating icons, here are some examples of icon sets:

Credit: shinebrighterxx

In the example above each icon features the same couple & uses a consistent style across all four icons.

Credit: madness

In the example above each icon features the same actress using a consistent style across all icons. Although each icon is a different colour & features a different headpiece, they work well together due to the consistent shape & textures used.

Here is an example of icons which are not an icon set:

Credit: shinebrighterxx

While each of the above icons in the example above are from the same franchise, none of the icons are made in the same way so they don't flow together or work in harmony with each other.

Voting
The voting will be as follows:

1. Favorite for each participating board: This will take place within a few days after the submission deadline in the form of polls, topped in each participating board. If you want to vote for a particular board, please visit that board and vote. The winners will be announced the next day.

2. Favorite Overall per Category: This will be held on the Fan Art board starting after the first round winners are revealed and will be open for voting. Everyone is encouraged to vote. Winner of the overall competition will be announced very soon after.

3. Favorite Among the GT: The Graphics Team will vote on a set of categories. We will hand pick what we feel best fit the categories. In case you are wondering, here are the categories:

Best use of text
Most Festive
Best composition
Best use of textures/brushes
Most Creative
Best Use Of Color
Best Simplistic Design
Most Unique Design
Best Background
Best Use of Images

The Graphics Team will also make the final winners and special category Graphics.

This competition is made possible by members of the Graphics Team and Management Team. More importantly, the participants! We hope that you have a fun and safe holiday season!

If you have any questions, please ask here. And please keep looking back at this thread since it will be updated with new boards.

Participating Boards:

General Discussion
Couples
Disney
Movies
Netflix
Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Television & Reality TV

DC & Marvel
Lucifer
Smallville

Female Celebrities
Alycia Debnam-Carey
Bethany Joy Lenz
Emilia Clarke
Troian Bellisario

Male Celebrities
Benjamin McKenzie
Chris Pine
Jared Padalecki
Joseph Morgan
Josh Holloway
Keanu Reeves
Kit Harington
Patrick Dempsey
Robert Carlyle
Tom Welling

Music Artists
Avril Lavigne
Backstreet Boys
Carrie Underwood
Kelly Clarkson
Little Mix
Shawn Mendes

TV Shows: Present
Law & Order Franchise
NCIS Franchise
One Chicago
Only Murders in the Building
Stranger Things
The Last of Us
Wednesday

TV Shows: Past
Beverly Hills 90210
Bones
Charmed
Gilmore Girls
Girl Meets World
New Girl
One Tree Hill
Psych
Supernatural
The O.C

Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Doctor Who
Harry Potter
House of the Dragpn
Lord of the Rings
Star Trek
The Witcher

Chelle » join GTmy art
shinebrighterxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 01:03 PM
Graphics Team Manager

Introducing the changes to the Holiday Fan Art Competition
Participation
Anyone can participate! Whether it be creating a fan art or supporting your fellow board members. Visit the submission thread on the Fan Art board and post your submissions. If you are browsing FF and notice that someone's fanart is good and you like their style, I encourage you to send them a PM! Ask them if they know about the holiday competition Together, we can make this a really fun and a successful holiday competition!

Everyone is more than welcome to participate in both the holiday fan art competition and the holiday icon set competition. We look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with!

Please read all of the rules before submitting an art.

Holiday Fan Art Competition Rules
  • All fan art must be submitted in the designated thread on the Fan Art board in order to be eligible for the competition. Any fan art posted on other boards will not be included.
  • The art must be holiday themed and have the category clear anywhere on the artwork. You are free to use any technique (brushes, textures etc...). For help and tutorials, the Fan Art board is a great place to find it.
  • The artwork you submit must be exactly one of the following 3 sizes in pixels and in JPEG or PNG format; 400x300, 800x600, or 1024x768.
  • Art should include your username on the bottom left of all artwork in Verdana, font size 12 (72 pixels per inch).
  • You will have to include a separate 200x150px thumbnail in JPEG or PNG format along with your art to be used in the voting. Please do not add a border to the thumbnail.
  • Final submissions should be a separate post in the thread marked with the words "to submit it for the competition - [category]" in red. This way, we will know that it is the final version of the art you would like to submit. It will be linked on the beginning post of the thread, updated frequently. If you do not see your art on that post a few days after you post it, please PM one of the Graphics Team Managers. The moderators of every board are responsible to add the arts to the OP by the deadline. Any art that hasn't been added in by 24 hours after the deadline won't be included in the polls.
  • The deadline for art submission is December 21st, 2023 6pm EST. You must have your artwork posted by that time to be considered. No exceptions. Please make sure that your upload site is reliable.
  • You may submit to as many categories as you wish, but it must be no more than one fan art per category. You may most certainly make more and post it on the thread for people to see, however you may only submit one for the competition per category. There is no limit to how many boards you can submit an art for. You are also more than welcome to participate in both the holiday fan art competition and the holiday icon set competition.
  • Special notes:

For each category you can pick any topic regardless of if it has a board on , however your fan art must be of one set topic. For example if you wish to submit to the Music Artists category you can make one fan art of Kelly Clarkson but you cannot submit a fan art of different American Idol winners. If you wish to submit to the Female Celebrities category you can make fan art of one female celebrity but you cannot submit a fan art of multiple celebrities. If you wish to submit to the TV Shows - Present category you can make a fan art of one show but you can't submit a fan art of multiple shows.
    For the General category your fan art must contain general holiday themed images, not anything based on a celebrity/television show/movie.
  • Please make sure to keep your artwork PG-13 and stick to the Forum rules.

Voting
The voting will be as follows:

1. Favorite fan art for each category: This will take place within a few days after the submission deadline in the form of polls, topped on the Fan Art board. The winners will be announced the next day.

2. Favorite Overall Fan Art: This will be held on the Fan Art board starting after the first round winners are revealed and will be open for voting. Everyone is encouraged to vote. Winner of the overall competition will be announced very soon after.

3. Favorite Among the GT: The Graphics Team will vote on a set of categories. We will hand pick what we feel best fit the categories. In case you are wondering, here are the categories:

Best use of text
Most Festive
Best composition
Best use of textures/brushes
Most Creative
Best Use Of Color

The Graphics Team will also make the final winners and special category Graphics.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 12-06-2023, 11:03 PM
Graphics Team Manager

We hope everyone is enjoying the competition so far

For those who'd like to know how many arts each board has & hope to make some for those with less entries here's the current tally (any numbers in brackets are entries which are in the threads but are not in the OP) -

General Discussion
Couples: 0
Disney: 1
Movies: 1
Netflix: 1
Sci-Fi/Fantasy: 2
Television & Reality: 1

DC & Marvel
Lucifer: 1
Smallville: 0

Female Celebrities
Alycia Debnam-Carey: 2
Bethany Joy Lenz: 1
Emilia Clarke: 3
Troian Bellisario: 1

Male Celebrities
Benjamin McKenzie: 1
Chris Pine: 1
Jared Padalecki: 0
Joseph Morgan: 1
Josh Holloway: 1
Keanu Reeves: 1
Kit Harington: 1
Patrick Dempsey: 2
Robert Carlyle: 1
Tom Welling: 2

Music Artists
Avril Lavigne: (1)
Backstreet Boys: (1)
Carrie Underwood: 1 (second tbd)
Kelly Clarkson: 2
Little Mix: 2
Shawn Mendes: (1)

Law & Order Franchise: 1
NCIS Franchise: 2
One Chicago: 1
Only Murders in the Building: 2
Stranger Things: 1
The Last of Us: 0
Wednesday: 1

Beverly Hills 90210: 1
Bones: 1
Charmed: 2
Gilmore Girls: 1
Girl Meets World: 0
New Girl: 0
One Tree Hill: 0
Psych: 1
Supernatural: 0
The O.C: 0

Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Doctor Who: (1)
Harry Potter: 0
House of the Dragpn: 1
Lord of the Rings: 1
Star Trek: (1)
The Witcher: 1

Holiday Fan Art Competition
General: 3
DC & Marvel: 2
Female Celebrities: 3
Male Celebrities: 4
Music Artists: 2
TV Shows - Present: 1
TV Shows - Past: 3
Sci-Fi/Fantasy: 2

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 12-09-2023, 08:08 AM
Moderator Support Team

Thanks for this I'll try and make some more icons
Old 12-09-2023, 09:31 AM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I covered the boards I really wanted to participate at but I’ll try to make more too
Old 12-09-2023, 04:38 PM
Moderator Support Team

yeah im slowly working my way down the list trying to do as many as I can for the boards
My Kind Of Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 03:24 PM
Moderator Support Team

updated - finished all the categories
Old 12-13-2023, 01:42 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

All??
Old 12-14-2023, 01:45 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Current tally (any numbers in brackets are entries which are in the threads but are not in the OP) -

General Discussion
Couples: (tbd)
Disney: 2
Sci-Fi/Fantasy: 3

DC & Marvel
Lucifer: 2
Smallville: 1 (+1)

Female Celebrities

Male Celebrities
Chris Pine: 2
Jared Padalecki: 2
Josh Holloway: 2
Keanu Reeves: 1 (+1)
Kit Harington: 2

Music Artists
Avril Lavigne: 1
Backstreet Boys: (1)
Carrie Underwood: 3
Kelly Clarkson: 3
Shawn Mendes: (1)

Law & Order Franchise: 2
NCIS Franchise: 2
The Last of Us: (1)

Girl Meets World: 1
New Girl: 1
One Tree Hill: 1
Psych: 1
Supernatural: 3
The O.C: 1

Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Doctor Who: (2)
Harry Potter: 2
House of the Dragpn: 2
Lord of the Rings: 3
Star Trek: 2
The Witcher: 2

General: 4
DC & Marvel: 3
Female Celebrities: 4
Male Celebrities: 4
Music Artists: 3
TV Shows - Present: 2
TV Shows - Past: 3

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 12-16-2023, 04:28 PM
Graphics Team Manager

I just wanted to clarify & answer a few things for people:
- When it comes to boards in the General Discussion category the rule 'Each of your icons in your icon set must be of the same topic and of a similar style.' was intended for each icon in the set to be from the one topic & for that topic not to be the board name as those are quite vague & large. The topic may be the one show, franchise, character, couple, or combination of those things. Some boards may open up to other topics you may like to pick too. If you're unsure on if your topic idea fits, please ask

- You are allowed to use any icon made for the competition, however you cannot use them to ask for or encourage votes. If you wish to use an icon someone else made please ask them first & provide a credit

- Moderators must have all submitted icons added into the OP by December 22nd, 2023 6pm EST for them to be included in the polls. As the competition ends December 21st, 2023 6pm EST you have 24 hours after that time to ensure all submissions have been added. When adding in submissions please ensure you include 'By: username' under each submission to make it easier for those who set up the polls. Please don't add other text or symbols or bold this line.
If anyone who has created art which hasn't been added in I will be posting a reminder in those threads in a few hours when I do the next tally.

- A thread for providing feedback on the competition will be started after the competition ends. I know a number of people are confused by things & we do want to take on that feedback for the future to support us to help all of you have fun with the competition.

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 12-18-2023, 12:10 AM
Graphics Team Manager

Current tally (any numbers in brackets are entries which are in the threads but are not in the OP) -

General Discussion
Couples: 1
Disney: 2 (1)

DC & Marvel
Lucifer: 2
Smallville: 2

Female Celebrities

Male Celebrities
Chris Pine: 2
Jared Padalecki: 2
Josh Holloway: 2
Keanu Reeves: 2
Kit Harington: 2

Music Artists
Avril Lavigne: 1
Backstreet Boys: 1
Carrie Underwood: 3
Kelly Clarkson: 3
Shawn Mendes: 1

Law & Order Franchise: 3
NCIS Franchise: 3
The Last of Us: 1

Girl Meets World: 1
New Girl: 2
One Tree Hill: 1
Psych: 2
Supernatural: 3
The O.C: 2

Sci-Fi/Fantasy
Doctor Who: 2
Harry Potter: 2
House of the Dragpn: 2
Lord of the Rings: 4
Star Trek: 2
The Witcher: 2

General: 5
DC & Marvel: 4
Female Celebrities: 4
Male Celebrities: 5
Music Artists: 4
TV Shows - Present: 3
TV Shows - Past: 4

Chelle » join GTmy art
Old 12-18-2023, 09:14 AM
Moderator Support Team

thanks for the update
Old 12-19-2023, 05:40 PM
Moderator Support Team

Ok ill try and do more or these soon
Old 12-19-2023, 06:14 PM
Fan Forum Legend

Moderator of ...
The Witcher

I'll make some for those with 1 entry.
Old 12-20-2023, 12:25 AM
Graphics Team Manager

General Discussion
Couples: 2 (+1)
Disney: 2 (+1)
Movies: 2
Television & Reality: 1 (+1)

DC & Marvel
Lucifer: 3
Smallville: 3

Female Celebrities