Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Master Fan

I wish they would cut down on the future voices. They really kind of take you out of the story. I say run them at the end, and at the beginning, but otherwise just let the story flow. If this show sticks around and doesn't get cancelled, I bet they minimize the prescence of future voices.

That said, I liked this ep. Someone got the memo to make Grace a more likeable character.

Best line of the night: "It'll just make him hate you more than he already does." HA!
Old 09-27-2004, 03:23 PM
New Fan

I think the real problem here was that there was far too much going on in the episode. The first two eps could have been sumarized in one line, this one had tons of stuff going on and seemed completely disjointed. Also, it was a huge step back from the sophistication which earned the show such brilliant reviews. Jack/Courtney/Missy could have been straight from The OC -- this is not what I was hoping for.

The thing with Grace and her TA bordered on the pathetic. Beyond the fact that her actions were completely implausible, it was a story hook that made very little sense. Her going to the conference could have been achieved in a far more simple and effective manner.

The whole bit with the janitor's son also seemed extremely contrived. Further, for the first time so far, the future segments seemed to have little connection with what was going on. And seriously, when are they going to drop this bit about Bobby's dad? Seems to be a huge issue so far in the show, and I don't think it's a winning angle.

If I come up with more that bugged me, I'll post it. Suffice it to say I was really disappointed by the episode.

P.S. I was the one who mentioned the problem with the VP. Bobby's VP's dates don't make sense. Bobby probably died in 2046 midterm. It's in the 'Is Bobby Dead in 2049' thread.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Fan

I pretty much have the same thoughts as everyone else - I liked the eppy, but it wasn't the best.

While I know why the writers did it; I'm still upset - they said that Jack and his friends were sophmores - why?? But I understand, it'll give the writers another few years to deal with "high school" issues.

I thought that the Grace and Peter scenes were cute as usual - their storyline is great. I was upset over the whole Jack/ Missy thing because he went out of his way to get Courtney to take a second glance at him, then he makes out with Missy...The Bobby and Courtney scenes were so cute - they're terrific together
Old 09-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Master Fan

I agree that the episode wasn't the best but compared to all the shows out there,I still thought it was pretty good.I really don't mind them adding teen things in.I mean Jack IS a teenager...it would just be weird if they didn't put in teenage things.

Bobby - The Mexcian thing was like my fav part of the episode.I mean it had potential for being corny,but the thing about the 8 sec. was great and I really didn't see that coming before.I thought it was great...but Bobby really does have to get a friend besides Courtney...soon!

Jack/Courtney/Missy - Missy annoys me,but I liek where it's going..I mean something had to open up Courtney's eyes! And Jack didn't technically do anything wrong by kissing Missy.The scenes for next time look awesome! I can not wait!

Grace - I love how Grace's character is like an actual parent unlike many parents on tv shows.She was trying to push Bobby,but I did like how she was sort of a hypocrite with the whole challenge class issue.At the beginning of the episode she said something about how taking a stupid test didn't say who was smarter and who wasn't.But the only way she gained intellectual respect for Jack was when she found out he passed the test.
thinking maybe you'll get it back and then you realize it's just gone.
banner: Brittany
Old 09-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Fan

Sarah - I know - Bobby needs to find a friend. The school seems big so there's bound to be someone there that has the same interests as him and that's not going to make him be someone he's not. I completely agree with you on Grace - most TV parents are either rarely in the picture or don't push their kids hard enough.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbesian
I think the real problem here was that there was far too much going on in the episode. The first two eps could have been sumarized in one line, this one had tons of stuff going on and seemed completely disjointed. Also, it was a huge step back from the sophistication which earned the show such brilliant reviews. Jack/Courtney/Missy could have been straight from The OC -- this is not what I was hoping for.
I completely agree - it was too much. I think Jack should've gone after Courtney. I feel like Missy is going to be a manipulative mistake, and I don't like that - but we'll see how it turns out.

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyforcmm
I thought that the Grace and Peter scenes were cute as usual - their storyline is great.
They were so cute. I loved how he dragged her away from the buffet, and calmed her down after she found out about the party. They're really cute
Old 09-27-2004, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Fan

Baby Belle - I like Grace and Peter because they're just cute and funny together. They've got a quirky but lovable way about them
Old 09-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Part-Time Fan

crazyforcmm - You can call me Claire. I completely agree, they're just.. I don't know, they're just really cute and I always enjoy the scenes that they have together.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:47 PM
New Fan

The 8 seconds thing, forgot about that. That bothered me -- a lot. From my standpoint, that seemed patently pro-Bush and, in fact, the entire series is beginning to look that way. When I first read the reviews, one line that frequently appeared was "West Wing replacement for liberal politicos", but thus far we have a Republican protagonist (all be it a liberal Republican, but a Republican none the less) and that comment about 8 seconds.

For those who don't see the link, Bush has taken heat about doing nothing for 8 minutes after he was told America was under attack on 9/11. By justifying Bobby doing nothing for 8 seconds...blah blah. Hell, even the bit with the janitor's kid was pro-Bush.

Come to think of it, I'm really freaking choked with this show.
Old 09-27-2004, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Fan

I know this is a discussion thread, but may I make a request? I would understand if you don't want to follow through with this request, but it would stop fights before they happen - we are all entitled to our own political beliefs, but can we for the moment not express those political beliefs or express those beliefs on certain threads? I know no one has, but it's bound to happen sooner or later. It's no use to fight over who's a Democrat, Republican, Independent, etc. because pretty much once you find out what party you are, you're not likely to change, so what's the point in arguing? Again, this isn't meant to signal anyone out for their political beliefs, but I'm hoping the board will remain friendly. I know there's things in my post that everyone might not agree with, so maybe we can work a way out to keep the board friendly
Old 09-27-2004, 10:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbesian
And seriously, when are they going to drop this bit about Bobby's dad? Seems to be a huge issue so far in the show, and I don't think it's a winning angle.
The aspect of Bobby's father is a huge driving point. Without a father in his life it means that Bobby's main male role model is Jack. Which brings them to their relationship. The whole point of Bobby learning from Jack and vice versa. It may not be a winning angle but the fact that their father is not there is very important.

crazyforcmm That isn't a bad idea.

I started a thread to talk about the politics here

We also have a News & Politics board.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:24 AM
Addicted Fan

The idea that an opposing candidate basically answered a question for Bobby is soooooo not something that I could EVER see helping someone in a political race like that. He would be criticized for freezing up and letting someone else take over, not applauded.

IMO Bobby acts too young for an 8th grader. He seriously has NO COMMON SENSE whatsoever.

They seriously need to write Grace some scenes where she's not speechifying the entire time.

Jack...is still hot.

Almost forgot: Erm...exactly what lesson did Bobby learn? Smart kids can be asshats? You shouldn't do things you don't want to? Don't smash things when presented with a hammer?

icon credit

Last edited by alli balli; 09-28-2004 at 01:32 AM
Old 09-28-2004, 01:41 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by alli balli
They seriously need to write Grace some scenes where she's not speechifying the entire time.
WORD. Yes, Grace is dedicated and passionate, we get it. But, she needs to calm.it.DOWN. with the monologues.
Old 09-28-2004, 02:36 AM
Elite Fan

eh, it was ok. i was not impressed. and that girl, jack was with, no. hopefully, this will not be a trend.

kenny | credit
Old 09-28-2004, 01:28 PM
New Fan

I'm not talking about the lack of a father having an impact on Bobby's life being critical, I'm talking about how in the future politics Bobby's dad is always brought up. That would never happen. Even more, constantly using that as an angel to have Bobby learn something is getting tiring.

Ratings were dismal again this week -- 2.0. Who knows what that means, but likely things aren't going to be staying the same much longer.