Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 09-20-2004, 01:13 AM
Addicted Fan

I think it's cool how they're incorporating the current political scene into the show. However, it makes me wonder how they're going to deal with who wins the election in a timely fashion - how far ahead do they write the scripts/shoot the episodes?

To be honest...the only character I actually like is Jack. Bobby may have his heart in the right place, but he's f-cking annoying. Grace...eh. I don't hate her, and it is pretty interesting, actually, to see her kind of self-destruct. Courtney is just weird - not b/c of the no-dating thing, but just because she likes Bobby so much. I don't know. I just find that odd.

John Slattery plays the same jackass in every show he's ever been on, doesn't he?

icon credit
Old 09-20-2004, 01:25 AM
Master Fan

I loved tonight's episode. The kid who plays Bobby is adorable. I felt so bad for him all throughout the episode that I just wanted to pull him into a big hug.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:08 AM
Obsessed Fan

Tonight's ep was great. Does anyone have the speech Grace gave at the end?
Old 09-20-2004, 04:17 AM
Extreme Fan

Gosh I loved this episode - from the buttons that Bobby kept pinning on himself to the end when the family was cooking together...I loved it all...

Bobby is such my favourite character. Yeah, I can understand Jack's frustrations with him because I am the older sister and it can be irritating to have your sis follow you around but as Jack said, Bobby is so good. All he wants is for his brother to like him and the things that he does to make it less awful for him and to make Jack less angry - it comes from a pure place and you can't really judge him for it. Logan playing Bobby just kills me with his sweetness and those beautiful eyes...aww...

I liked the idea of Jack and Courtney slowing down a bit. I mean, we do know they are attracted to each other but it's only the second episode. It's much sweeter this way because I really want to see how Jack becomes more compassionate and not so quick to jump on something. We know that Jack's and Courtney's relationship is going to be a big thing so let us enjoy it...they really looked cute during the bowling thing with the lights and the colours. I really want to see how it develops.

But of course what blew me away was Bobby/Courtney. Those two are so kindred, it's amazing. My favourite part was when Bobby showed up at her doorstep and her father opened the door. I mean, the way that he answered without hesistation that he wanted to see Courtney...I mean, her dad made a comment about him being her "date", little did he know that this kid standing before him would be his future son-in-law. Hee! And I love how Bobby really wants Jack and Courtney to be together and tries to plead his brother's case for him. It just makes me love B/C even more because as much as Bobby tries, Courtney wants him around and they have a special relationship. She is able to open up to him in a way that she'll probably never be able to with Jack. And I loved seeing Future Courtney talk about the frustrations that Bobby was feeling when his own party tried to push him out and how they didn't know her husband...awww...

Let me just say that I was thrilled to see John Heard play that Missouri gov. - and him talking about that speech that Bobby gave with with "Have a little faith in me" playing in the background? Man, I wish I could see Bobby make that speech! I mean, who could play Future Bobby? I wonder...

Anyways, I'm pretty much sold on this show. I adore it.

Cindy

Lex/Lana l Clark/Lois l Ryan/Summer l Ryan/Kirsten l Ephram/Amy l Bright/Delia l Bright/Hannah l Luke/Lorelai l Rory/Marty l Logan/Veronica l Charlie/Claire l Sawyer/Sun
Old 09-20-2004, 11:38 AM
Addicted Fan

i thought that the pilot was the best pilot that i have seen in years and i thought for the 2nd episode it could only go DOWN...boy was i wrong.

this epi kicked so much ass. i dont say this about tv shows often, probably never, but it was inspiring. i was suprised that they actually showed Kerry pins and at 1st i thought well thats kinda one sided, even though i am a democrat, but then when they revele that Bobby becomes a Republican i thought they even it out. and the part when one of the people say "it was like coming out...out of the closet...as in being a mass murderer" made me laugh so much.

the mother was awsom and the speech at the end was something els.

i saw more dimention for the girls(sorry cant remember the names at the moment) character and expalined why she is kinda distant from Jack and the fact that she and Bobby do have chemestry.

Jack and Bobby r just awsom

and the future flashbacks were so well tided into the story.

and every small part inbetween was so good that i wish WB was elegable for Emmys and Golden Globes...oh by bad they r they just get snobed every year

i hope they keep it up

Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
Old 09-20-2004, 01:18 PM
Elite Fan

I was very impressed with this episode. Christine Lahti and Matt Long were excellent. I think this episode, is the beginning of a trend of high quality content. Bring it on!

kenny | credit
Old 09-20-2004, 06:36 PM
Master Fan

Ok...awesome awesome episode.I loved the whole Democrat/Independant/Republican thing.I just loved hearing about it from the future people.And Bobby pinning all those pins on his shirt was too cute!

I love the whole Grace character.I mean she's so complex and not exactly likable.I think that's the problem with alot of tv parents today.They're just too perfect or they're too horrible.Grace seems real and she has a long way to go to be the kind of parent I think she would like to be.

Matt as always was excellent.He plays Jack so wonderfully.I liked when Jack yelled at Bobby and then felt bad about it afterwards.He's always looking out ofr Bobby.I love their relationship.Bobby talking Jack up to Courtney was great! I was annoyed with Courtney through most of the episode till the end.She was giving out strong signals and then she blamed Jack for getting the wrong idea.But at the end,I kind of understood and I was glad she apoligized.

I can't wait to meet Chloe.

New scenes for 'weeks to come' was soooo great!!
thinking maybe you'll get it back and then you realize it's just gone.
banner: Brittany
Old 09-20-2004, 07:18 PM
New Fan

I thought the episode was yet again fantastic. It's interesting to see the relationship between Jack and Courtney and then to hear Courtney speak about Bobby in the future. Her line of (something like) "Jack was like the first love, but Bobby was my life" is so fitting, and what - in my mind - differentiates this series from the standard WB fare.

It will be interesting to see what the ratings were, because I really doubt that teenage girls were the target audience, and that is what they got last week.

However, one certain sign that the series is a success is the plethora of spoilers now running around. There are episode descriptoins up until episode 7 over on the spoilers board. They look interesting.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:39 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbesian
"Jack was like the first love, but Bobby was my life" is so fitting, and what - in my mind - differentiates this series from the standard WB fare.
Can you elaborate why you think that's different from other WB shows? Because, I don't see your point.

kenny | credit
Old 09-21-2004, 02:17 PM
New Fan

I was trying to say different from shows like Dawson's Creek in particular. Teen dramas, which this isn't. I live in Canada, we don't get the WB so I'm rather unfamiliar with most of their broadcasts, but I associate the WB with teen dramas, which this -- from all reviews and what I've seen so far -- is not. While it has elements of that, I'm not sure that young teens are the target audience.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hobbesian
I was trying to say different from shows like Dawson's Creek in particular. Teen dramas, which this isn't. I live in Canada, we don't get the WB so I'm rather unfamiliar with most of their broadcasts, but I associate the WB with teen dramas, which this -- from all reviews and what I've seen so far -- is not. While it has elements of that, I'm not sure that young teens are the target audience.
I agree - I don't think the WB is targeting its "core" demographics in this particular show - I remember reading an article a few days ago saying that the WB wanted to expand its audience and they also mentioned that the median age of viewers is increasing, so that could be the reason why it's not specifically targeted for young teens, but trying for an older audience...
Old 09-21-2004, 05:19 PM
New Fan

Your post seems to indicate you have seen ratings for the second show. Is that correct? If so where, and were they good?

I thought the last five minutes of this week's episode was the best TV since season 2 of the West Wing. TV has been waiting a long time for something to replace the West Wing -- since Sorkin went off the deep end and the show went down hill -- and I really think Jack and Bobby has the potential to do that. It's really a pitty it's on a small network rather than one of the big four, it would be huge on one of them.
Old 09-21-2004, 07:01 PM
Master Fan

I agree about Jack and Bobby being different from alot of WB shows.I mean I love alot of the WB shows,but Jack and Bobby is something that I don't have to say is my 'guilty pleasure'.I mean it's smart tv.There's teenagers and adults(which sometimes teen shows tend ot leave out) and it's not just about teenagers dating.I love how it mixes politics in a smart way so that it makes it even more interesting.
thinking maybe you'll get it back and then you realize it's just gone.
banner: Brittany
Old 09-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Addicted Fan

i was about to post a simmilar post
cus i dont know how The WB has shows like Summerland and The Crap About Karate that was Cnceled but I cant remeber the name of it ( aka guilty pleasures) and then have an awsom show like Jack and Bobby...i mean r the same people responsible for greenlighting these shows??? Cus they should have shows like J&B and BTVS and GG and not this other crap that doesnt seem to have a scrip and the actors r just winging it.

Look for the girl with the broken smile
Ask her if she wants to stay awhile
Old 09-23-2004, 03:15 AM
Loyal Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by louloucn
Gosh I loved this episode - from the buttons that Bobby kept pinning on himself to the end when the family was cooking together...I loved it all...

Bobby is such my favourite character. Yeah, I can understand Jack's frustrations with him because I am the older sister and it can be irritating to have your sis follow you around but as Jack said, Bobby is so good. All he wants is for his brother to like him and the things that he does to make it less awful for him and to make Jack less angry - it comes from a pure place and you can't really judge him for it. Logan playing Bobby just kills me with his sweetness and those beautiful eyes...aww...

I liked the idea of Jack and Courtney slowing down a bit. I mean, we do know they are attracted to each other but it's only the second episode. It's much sweeter this way because I really want to see how Jack becomes more compassionate and not so quick to jump on something. We know that Jack's and Courtney's relationship is going to be a big thing so let us enjoy it...they really looked cute during the bowling thing with the lights and the colours. I really want to see how it develops.

But of course what blew me away was Bobby/Courtney. Those two are so kindred, it's amazing. My favourite part was when Bobby showed up at her doorstep and her father opened the door. I mean, the way that he answered without hesistation that he wanted to see Courtney...I mean, her dad made a comment about him being her "date", little did he know that this kid standing before him would be his future son-in-law. Hee! And I love how Bobby really wants Jack and Courtney to be together and tries to plead his brother's case for him. It just makes me love B/C even more because as much as Bobby tries, Courtney wants him around and they have a special relationship. She is able to open up to him in a way that she'll probably never be able to with Jack. And I loved seeing Future Courtney talk about the frustrations that Bobby was feeling when his own party tried to push him out and how they didn't know her husband...awww...

Let me just say that I was thrilled to see John Heard play that Missouri gov. - and him talking about that speech that Bobby gave with with "Have a little faith in me" playing in the background? Man, I wish I could see Bobby make that speech! I mean, who could play Future Bobby? I wonder...

Anyways, I'm pretty much sold on this show. I adore it.

Cindy
Hi Cindy,

I pretty much agreed with everything you said. I love Jack, and Matt Long is simply excellent. But I can relate to Bobby a bit more. I am the youngest in my family and a dreamer. I have an older sibling who is used to worrying/looking out for me, but who also I'm sure found me plenty annoying at times. So the Jack/Bobby relationship rings true. I love their dynamic.

I love scenes with Jack and Grace. He often seems more responsible than she is, and despite the tension in the relationship, they are both so protective of Bobby. Loved their scene in the car and the even shorter one in front of the mirror.

Christine Lahti does a terrific job playing a layered character. She isn't always likable, but she is vulnerable and still sympathetic.

The only cast member I am not sold on is John Slattery but maybe that's because I remember him so much on ED (playing a very similar role).

JudyC