Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Forum Affiliates Tags Thread Tools
Old 08-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Elite Fan

Moderator of ...
Degrassi

Fellow mod is feeling feisty! I like this. And you make some valid points, especially about the lack of involvement of the parents.

I totally agree with you on the Holly J plot. After we all chatted in here last night I kind of went to bed expecting that I'd be disappointed with the ending no matter what. I actually was leaning towards the idea that leaving the plot opened ended with HJ on the donor list might be the best option. I was feeling pretty good with the episode when Holly J and her birth mom had a heart to heart in The Dot and explained their actions. Basically described how I'd feel if I were both of them. But man did they lose me when Fiona and Holly J found a sneaky way to give the birth mom $20,000 and HJ gets her kidney. So obnoxious how birth mom was all "and this is legal?" You are asking a 17 year old. And meanwhile Holly J's mom is clueless to this all. So disappointing.

I did enjoy the Drew plot and the role that Katie played in it but again, the lack of parental involvement is strange. And Drew isn't getting much support from the Degrassi staff either it seems. No one but Katie is questioning his behavior and is curious about the warning signs? I liked his interactions with her and their discussions about fighting; her personality fit well with this plot...but yeah, I agree. There should be more mentions of Drew's mom and his counselor. Even just a line that says that he's faking them out, telling them what they want to hear, and he has secretly found the solution on his own. He doesn't need them. Maybe this is implied at one point and I missed it? It just seems likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodbyegirl (View Post)
Mrs. Bhandari never misses NCIS or CSI! Mr. Bhandari gets giddy over cricket! They are the most adorable parents ever.
Hehe this is worth quoting. This is one family we are treated to see often. And it was great seeing how they are adjusting post Alli running away. I felt as nervous as Alli most of the time when she was interacting with Dad. In part 1 when he acts like his stern self and then sincerely says he is just teasing? Huge sigh of relief! It's just so heartwarming, humoring, and interesting to see Mama Bhandari and Alli try to tip toe around him...and then we see how much effort he's putting into changing and easing up on the rules. It's really benefiting Alli.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:46 AM
Part-Time Fan

Best part: Drew tries to kiss Katie. She flips him over. Awesome.
Broadway_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM
Loyal Fan

I don't know why, but I'm losing interest in Drew's plot. Maybe the MMA is too much (and too unrealistic?). Maybe the lack of parents is bothering me? Maybe that he's getting himself into another relationship too quickly? Maybe the lack of Bianca? Whatever the reason is, I don't like it as much as I did before.

I think the Holly J plot was unrealistic, like others said, but I feel like that's always going to happen if Fiona's involved. It feels like she just spends money to solve most of her problems. I realize sometimes money can't solve Fiona's problems (Like when Bobby abused her, or when she abused alcohol), but the Coynes are unrealistic as Mia's modeling plot, in my opinion.

I like Dave and Alli's relationship. It actually has development, which some couples haven't had recently. It sort of reminds me a little of Manny and JT's relationship. Class clown and girl with bad/wild reputation (Who used to date an older guy). But I don't feel like comparing the two so I'll stop.
Shiny Shinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 12:04 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I do think that it is unrealistic that Drew's helicopter mother isn't more involved in this storyline and while the other Drew centered episodes have been great, this one just wasn't. I also thought that it was interesting that Katie gave Clare such a hard time about wanting to join the newspaper but when Drew asks to join the paper there is no conflict. Again, I think that this storyline is really one sided and this storyline would be helped if we were able to get more of Bianca's point-of-view. i think that this storyline will pick up again once Bianca and Vince return.

As for Holly J's plot, I don't know how I could be surprised or disappointed with the outcome in this episode because it was obvious from the start that the Coynes were going to help Holly J. This was always going to happen as long as the Coynes were involved and there was no doubt that they were going to be invloved. I also don't hold it against Fiona or Declan that they often use money to solve their problems because that's how they grew up and no one around them other than Holly J ever really told them otherwise. I think that Fiona does realize that money cannot solve her drinking problems or an abusive boyfriend but, in this case Fiona was going to help no questions asked. I think that the adoption plot and the kidney issue would've been better if they were dealt with separately or even better that the writers had gone into another direction with Holly J. However, I keep in mind that at least Holly J gets to have a storyline and screen time and didn't have to wait until her time was almost up on Degrassi to get a storyline and screen time because most the seniors really haven't been as lucky in my opinion. The writers at least attempted to show both sides of this issue and didn't come across as desperate to make anyone sympathetic. The drama this season isn't in Holly J's storyline, it's in the Drew/Bianca storyline.

I think that Alli and Dave are a likable couple and they are both allowed and able to have their own storylines. I think that there was good foreshadowing as far as where Alli and Dave's storyline is going.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:50 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm with all of you who were disappointed in Holly J's storyline. This isn't Gossip Girl; what was the point in giving her this plot if it was just going to be solved with the wave of a magic wand? I never really felt compelled by it, and it wasn't Charlotte's fault, I just wish this wasn't her farewell storyline at Degrassi. But however much the adoption felt like a soap opera twist, I did like some of Holly J's conversations with her birth mom.

Luke's acting has improved a lot. Even though I liked Katie's advice--especially in that last scene--I just really wish they could've used a character who is already involved rather than bringing in a new one. Like some of you have mentioned...his mom. Or Bianca, who has been so neglected in all of this. I know that the promos show her coming back later, but I don't know if that's really going to be for her own development, like I hope, or just for some added drama.

I love seeing -one- normal couple on this show, especially because half of it is Alli, and up until now she's never really been with a guy who seems to genuinely appreciate her (like a princess!). As in part one, the Bhandaris are amazing. I've had a very similar conversation with my somewhat overbearing mother when I was younger & told her about my first boyfriend, so I appreciated this subplot even if (and really because) it was simple.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodbyegirl (View Post)
I'm with all of you who were disappointed in Holly J's storyline. This isn't Gossip Girl; what was the point in giving her this plot if it was just going to be solved with the wave of a magic wand? I never really felt compelled by it, and it wasn't Charlotte's fault, I just wish this wasn't her farewell storyline at Degrassi. But however much the adoption felt like a soap opera twist, I did like some of Holly J's conversations with her birth mom.
I guess that I am one of the few people who accepted the fact that Holly J was going to get help from the Coynes and that Fiona wasn't going to stop until Holly J got her kidney. I do feel that Holly J has had better storylines previously but, let's put it this way she at least gets to have a farewell/exit storyline because I think that is clearly not the case for Chantay, Riley and Zane. Anya had to wait until her time on the show is almost up for the writers to actually give her a real storyline and stick with it other than the one with Sav. I think that Holly J was the only graduating senior that the powers that be wrote consistently for. I like seeing Holly J's strong friendship with Fiona and will miss it during the second half of this season and I did like Holly J's scenes with her birth mom and that's enough for me to watch this storyline even though it's not my favorite Holly J storyline. I consider "Degrassi" to be a teenage soap opera, even though I am sure most people think of it just as a drama.
Shipper Of: Holly J Sinclair and Declan Coyne, Degrassi's Power Couple, Sean Cameron and Emma Nelson, JT and Liberty, Drew and Bianca, Miles and Maya, Rob and Kristen Maddie and Wes, Riley and Lucas, Josh and Maya and Chuck and Blair, Jesse McKenna and Becca Thatcher and Simone and Eric Daniel and Noa, Max and Liz, Nikolas and Gia, Monse and Cesar and Ariana and Pete, Josh and Donna and Spencer and Trina, Miles and Lola
Holland Fan Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMe2000 (View Post)
I hated the Holly J plot. I hated that they just conveniently had a vintage prom dress for Fiona and Dawn to work around the grey moral area of buying a kidney. I hated that Fiona's money solved a problem for her friend. I really hated that once again, Holly J's mother was nowhere to be found until after the fact. About the only thing I liked was that they finally got Dawn and Holly J out of the Dot. Ugh.
AMEN. I hated the whole thing too. I'm even hating the fact that she was adopted and just realized it. The long-lost family member storyline in any show is ridiculous and this is no exception. The whole storyline is utterly pointless and unrealistic as far as I'm concerned. Who can relate to this? Anyone? Bueller? Yeah, didn't think so.

Quote:
I guess I'll show my age here, but Dave wearing a hat inside with Alli's girlfriend seemed like a no no to me, even if he wanted to show the "real Dave."
Nah, I was cringing the entire time too and I'm not QUITE as old as you are.

Both these episodes were very blah to me. I wish I could like the Drew storylines as much as everyone else but I'm still not feeling it. I think I just don't care for Drew. Never have and he hasn't done a whole lot to redeem himself since last season IMO. I don't get Katie's sudden attraction to him either. Wasn't it just an episode ago that she seemed to like Adam? And an episode before that when she liked Jake? Girl has a pretty short attention span. I am (was?) intrigued by Katie but she needs actual character development instead of a new crush every episode.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Dave/Alli scenes. Didn't expect to enjoy them as much as I did. I'm really loving Alli this season. It's so nice to see her maturity since last year. I only wish Sav had been in the scenes with her parents, too.
mellifluouscloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:49 PM
Master Fan

Yeah I agree with a lot of the negative reactions here. I really enjoyed part 1, but things fell apart in the second half.

For the Bhandurer plot:
1. I am so glad I wasn't the only one who was bothered by the hat! Especially since he kept touching it and everytime he did I kinda held my breath. Maybe that was on purpose to show how accepting the Bhandaris have become?
2. I already knew this was going to predictable. But that wasn't really a problem. Alli and Dave have a natural chemistry and they fact they really care about each other was enough to overlook the cliches.
3. Overall this might bave been my favorite plot.

Drew's plot:
1. I still liked it, but out of all his episodes this was the weakest and I think Katie was really to blame. Correction: the writers constant need to focus on relationships is the problem. This entire storyline has been a type of character study on Drew so suddenly shifting the focus from him messed up the intensity of it.
2. The MMA fighting wasn't unrealistic to me. I know plenty of guys who fight on the side but I think it developed a little too quickly. He goes from losing to winning in 10 minutes? No. I think ending with a loss would have been more realistic. Having him pummel the guy was just a reality break. I think they should have show him having another "friendly fight" with one of the Degrassi guys and losing control then. It would have been a lot more powerful.
3. Still loving the plot though, I'm going to hope this was just a mistep along the way.

Holly J's Plot:
1. Well, it all ended nicely and wrapped in a bow -unrealistically so- but I also don't know how else they could have ended it.
2. The strengths were HJ/Fiona and Charlotte's acting and they were very, very strong positives but this storyline still felt off to me.

All and all a solid set of episodes, part 1 being actually quite good and part 2 being less so.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:56 PM
New Fan

First thing I'd like to say is, I like that we're starting to get to know a few more of the new characters.

(A) Drew (Ft. Katie/Owen/Julian/Adam/Mo)

I liked this plot. I agree with a lot of the criticism thrown around so far about making a segue from Drew's inner troubles and his relationship with Katie. I feel like that should've been handled as a side-plot at a later episode. I also agree that he should've gotten wrecked the second time around too. I don't think it was unrealistic that Drew all of a sudden fought better, he did have a fire going into round two, but it was definitely unrealistic that the other guy transformed from a conservative countering style into this reckless, run-right-into-haymakers style. I would've put a pass on Drew winning the fight as long as he took a beating while doing so, which obviously wasn't the case. The post-fight bashing was nice though, a nice tribute to that Fight Club scene.

As for the actual relationship, I do like these two together. They seem to mesh pretty well, and for some reason, I feel like Katie comes from some kind of troubled past too.

I liked the friend trio that Drew, Julian, and Owen make too. They get along really well and it felt like Julian and Owen were a little more humanized in this episode (especially part 2).

Anyone else thought it was funny that in the slomo scene, Katie decided to walk through the closed door instead of the already open one?

(B) Alli/Dave (Ft. Clare)
Oh the Bhandaris. They're always entertaining to watch. This plot was pretty predictable, but it was nice to see things work out really well. It was a nice touch with Mr. B throwing that last line at the end, pretty much saying that he's keeping his eyes on Dave. Good stuff. These two are great together.

(C) HJ (Ft. Fiona)
Yikes, lots of hate going for this one. We all knew Fiona was going to end up taking care of it in the end somehow. It's a shame though. The ending doesn't really serve the rest of the plot justice. It was pretty strong up to this episode, and even if it meant dragging it on a little longer, I would've rather had the donation not go through. Change the game a little and make the viewers feel that there's actually a shot that things may not work out. Given a happy ending though, this probably was the best way to end it. Realistically speaking, the donor list most likely wouldn't have come through, so if you're looking for realism in this plot, HJ's pretty much toast. I mean, it could've been worse. They could've written in that her kidney magically healed itself and everything was cherries.

Anywhooo, evals.

Part 1
(+1/+1)Adam
(+0/+1)Alli
(+1/+1)Clare
(+1/+1)Dave
(+1/+3)Drew
(+2/+1)Fiona
(+1/+3)HJ
(+0/+1)Julian
(+1/+2)Katie
(+0/+1)Mo
(+0/+1)Owen

Part 2
(+1/+1)Adam
(+1/+1)Alli
(+0/+1)Clare
(+1/+1)Dave
(-1/+2)Drew
(+3/+1)Fiona
(+1/+2)HJ
(+1/+1)Julian
(+2/+2)Katie
(+1/+1)Owen

Totals
(+05/+13/10)Adam/Jordan
(+08/+08/08)Alli/Melinda
(-04/+11/05)Anya/Samantha
(+06/+09/04)Bianca/Alicia
(+00/+02/02)Chantay/Jajube
(+13/+17/13)Clare/Aislinn
(+00/+08/04)Connor/AJ
(+03/+10/09)Dave/Jahmil
(+10/+20/08)Drew/Luke
(+08/+15/11)Eli/Munro
(+14/+14/13)Fiona/Annie
(+01/+02/02)Hannah/Samii
(+11/+15/09)Holly J/Charlotte
(+00/+07/06)Imogen/Cristine
(+07/+07/06)Jake/Justin
(+05/+07/04)Jenna/Jessica
(+00/+01/01)Jess/Taysha
(+01/+04/04)Julian/Stephen
(+06/+09/07)Katie/Chloe
(+00/+10/07)K.C./Sam
(-04/+07/07)Marisol/Shanice
(+00/+03/03)Mo/Jake
(+05/+09/07)Owen/Daniel
(-01/+04/03)Riley/Argiris
(+05/+03/03)Sadie/Alexandria
(+07/+08/06)Sav/Raymond
(+04/+03/03)Wesley/Spencer
(-01/+03/02)Zane/Shannon
LsK101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Part-Time Fan

Thoughts on this episode:

B Plot: I really hate how the Bandahris give their approval Dave and Alli dating, but apparently Anya's not good enough for their approval? I get they're being more open-mindedd, but why is that every single guy that Alli gets paired with is a loser?

C Plot: Dawn got on my nerves, but I actually like how Fiona was able to bale her out of that crap situation. What's the point of having mega rich friends if they're not gonna ever help you out?

A Plot: I've saved the worst for last. I've always hated Drew, and now it's even worse. He went from being a manipulative, cheating bully to raging lunatic... And now he apparently he has the ability to beat people half to death? Wow, yeah, he's such a great character. And this MMA crap? Wtfh? Yeah, that's a really important, real life issue you're covering, Electric Boogaloo. I really, really hope that we don't ever hear about that ever again. Idfc if he's interesting; he's such a horrible, arrogant ******* that I can't stand to see be around people like him, let alone have them wasting time on my screen. I hate how Adam is just his doormat. On top of everything else, now he's going after every girl Adam has an interest in, and is friends with the guy who threw him into a glass door and never apologized for. Adam really needs to stand up to ****ty excuse for a brother.
The only thing that would've made this plot worth watching is if I got to see him get curbstomped again, but no he beat a guy into an unconsciousness in a blind berserker rage in an incredibly contrived and unrealistic way, which apparently means he's a good fighter now. Oh well that's Degrassi 2: Electric Boogaloo for you. At least Luke's acting is still narmy~.

Grades: B Plot: C-
C Plot: B
A Plot: F-

"YES OF COURSE I IRON MY UNDERWEAR. I AM NOT A HEATHEN EMMETT."

Last edited by Squall_L.; 08-18-2011 at 09:40 AM
Squall_L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread