Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 08:17 PM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela12:
<STRONG>I'd been dating a guy for about a month when Valentine's Day rolled around. He gave me half a dozen roses and treated me to dinner at a small, romantic little Italian restaurant. [img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] He showed up wearing a nice dress shirt and a tie, told me how beautiful I looked, held my hand as we ran across the street in our dress clothes to get to the restaurant, etc. He was ultra sweet to me the whole evening...too bad I really couldn't stand him. We broke up the next day. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]</STRONG>
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] LOL! It was so sweet, too bad I couldnt stand him. Sorry that had me cracking up

"It's magic between you and me, Max." -Conan O'Brien
Biznitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 08:45 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by DeppsDoll:
[img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] LOL! It was so sweet, too bad I couldnt stand him. Sorry that had me cracking up
It had me cracking up, too. He had the etiquette of dating developed to an art, but our personalities just didn't mesh. What a shame! He was hot.

But back to the original topic: for the love of god, avoid stuffed animals. I think it promotes a view of women as emotionally weak that need some kind of cute security blanket to make them feel better. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

[ 01-31-2004: Message edited Angela12 ]
Angela12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 09:49 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela12:
<STRONG>for the love of god, avoid stuffed animals. I think it promotes a view of women as emotionally weak that need some kind of cute security blanket to make them feel better. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]</STRONG>
Why do you think that? If the girlfriend expressed an interest in the kissing bears because she thought they were cute and whatnot, why does that lead to a view that she may be emotionally weak or that he'll be promoting weakness if he gave it to her? Why does a soft toy end up being viewed a 'security blanket' rather than what it actually is, just an ornament or a cute toy to have?

I know that may be the case with some toys and some girls but I can't see the the logical link between giving stuffed toys and promoting weakness in females, it just doesn't follow. At best, one could claim that is the case with some people; but surely it's not the case with all or even most people and, as such, cannot stand by itself as a reason to not give a stuffed toy to a girl. That's not feminism, it's overanalysis.

That's my two cents anyway. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ 01-31-2004: Message edited Silversun ]

fics | vids | stupid little life
Silversun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2004, 11:19 PM
Addicted Fan

I think giving stuffed animals all depends on the person you're buying the gift for. She may want the bears or she may just have thought they were cute as she passed by. I know I dont buy everything I think is cute that I see at the mall. I think something more original would be better. Stuffed animals are pretty cliche and what most boyfriends get their girlfriends for Valentine's Day so you might want to surprise her with something totally different and unique to her so you show how much you care without like professing your undying love and being too serious.

"It's magic between you and me, Max." -Conan O'Brien
Biznitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 12:58 AM
Obsessed Fan

mix cd

trust me. it's the greatest present ever. my best guy friend made one for me once and i melted. download a bunch of songs you know she loves, and some of your favourites that you think she would like, and ones that remind you of her. and then quickly go through the intros of the songs with her and explain why you put them on. its just the sweetest thing because its so personalised.

[ 01-31-2004: Message edited Monroe ]
Old 02-01-2004, 02:20 AM
Obsessed Fan

I made my girl in Missouri two mixed CDs already, she loves them.
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:15 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by AmerEagle11:
<STRONG>Help me I am clueless. I have no idea what to get my girlfriend. We were in the mall and when we walked by the Hallmark store she said those bears that kiss are "cute" but other than that I don't know what to get her. I'm not in love with her, yet so I don't want any like "I love you so much" type of crap.</STRONG>

Sounds like she's hinting she wants one of those bears [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img].

I like the mix cd idea too, I find it really special/sweet when I get one. My friend sent me one last week and it really cheered me up plus I think of them when I listen to it.

You could take her out for a nice meal as part of the present too [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img].

I want shoes...or this really nice top I saw or some DVD's...

Every now and then I fall apart
Elegantly Wasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 07:43 AM
Extreme Fan

Quote:
<STRONG>I think giving stuffed animals all depends on the person you're buying the gift for. She may want the bears or she may just have thought they were cute as she passed by. I know I dont buy everything I think is cute that I see at the mall. I think something more original would be better. Stuffed animals are pretty cliche and what most boyfriends get their girlfriends for Valentine's Day so you might want to surprise her with something totally different and unique to her so you show how much you care without like professing your undying love and being too serious.</STRONG>
ITA. The mixed cd is a great idea, I'd love to get something like that. But if she likes the bear, get it for her..just keep her in mind. Or ask some of her friends, they'd know best. Then swear them to secrecy. Maybe the bears and the mix cd? That'd be cool..
Old 02-01-2004, 08:43 AM
Obsessed Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Monroe:
<STRONG>mix cd

trust me. it's the greatest present ever. my best guy friend made one for me once and i melted. download a bunch of songs you know she loves, and some of your favourites that you think she would like, and ones that remind you of her. and then quickly go through the intros of the songs with her and explain why you put them on. its just the sweetest thing because its so personalised.</STRONG>

I agree. I was given a couple for my birthday and I love them. They are so sweet.Get her a cute card as well and a bear as well.

[img]smilies/sigh.gif[/img] If I were given that I would be a happy girl.
Old 02-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Fan

my boyfriend and i just celebrated our one month a week or so ago so valentine's day isn't that far after. for v-day we're going to go out shopping together and buy stuff that we both want (i.e. chocolate, candy, whipped cream... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]) and we're going to spend the evening together eating/using the stuff we bought. heheh... it will be fun.
JoeySPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Master Fan

I think a mix CD is a neat idea - unless she's a music snob. I'm a self-professed music snob, and I make my own mixes all the time. Just a word of caution it might not go down so well if she too is very particular about the music she listens to, and you don't get it quite right. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

fics | vids | stupid little life
Silversun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Loyal Fan

With my luck, I'll get the same thing I got last year for Valentine's: the flu.

G(tb)^2
SwingKidPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
Off Topic

Quote:
<STRONG>I say a card, the bears, and a candle. All girls love candles, dont they? And as Kelso said, "Chicks cant keep their shirts off around a scented candle." Making something is sweet but make sure you show how much thought you put into it and stuff so you dont come off as just being too cheap to buy her something. Bath stuff is always good too IMO. You could also by a cute picture frame and put a picture of you two in it. That's sweet and not too serious.</STRONG>

Just my opinion, but I think the picture frame with ya'll's picture might be too much... at least if you've only been together a month or so. I guess it just depends upon her feelings for you. There is a fine line between obsession and sweetness, and that line mostly depends upon the other person's feelings. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Loyal Fan

awwwwwwwwe them lil grey teddies from clintons, theres one thats holding a red heart, its sooo cute [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
or a dozen red roses. i like roses esp red ones, dunno why lol!!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 02-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Extreme Fan

what do you get a guy for v-day when you've been dating for over 3 months? i got him cologne for christmas...but what about v-day? lol

and btw, she was totally hinting towards the blushing bears [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Mini-Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread