Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 02-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Dedicated Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurian
That is one of the more annoying parts about eating healthy food...but think of the money you save on doctor bills in the long run if you choose the grapes instead of the doughnuts. And, if the grapes are really terribly pricey, there is less expensive fruit.

Relax I was making with the funny.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:37 AM
Passionate Fan

Has anyone ever heard of Hodgson Mill?

http://www.hodgsonmill.com/

Their stuff is so good! They make pastas, mixes, and all sorts of good stuff. Everything is made from whole grains and is really healthy - lots of fiber. I have some of their wheat flour and pasta and both are really good! I highly recommend it.

Also EarthGrains bread is really good. It is very high fiber and it's really good for you.

Anyone ever try soy milk? What did you think of it?
mh67511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 03:39 AM
Master Fan

Sunflower seeds, love em

Romeo take me somewhere we can be alone
Scooby_Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Extreme Fan

salad, yoghurts, spinach, corn.
I try to embrace the healthy foods but tis hard!

Every now and then I fall apart
Elegantly Wasted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 11:41 AM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh67511
Has anyone ever heard of Hodgson Mill?

...Anyone ever try soy milk? What did you think of it?
I've been using Hodgson's Mills flour for a long time since I make all my own bread; it's excellent stuff.

And I've tried soy milk in the past but haven't liked it. I'm planning on trying Silk, though, because I hear that it's very good.

I use a lot of soy meat-substitutes, too.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 01:43 PM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurian
I've been using Hodgson's Mills flour for a long time since I make all my own bread; it's excellent stuff.
I'd like to try that out. Do you know of anything I can add to give it extra fiber? I've heard that flax seed and wheat germ are really good for you, but not sure if they would interfere with how the bread bakes. My doctor said I need to go on a high-fiber diet, but it seems like most of the breads in the supermarket have very little fiber and the ones that do have lots of fiber are so expensive. At Hyvee the high fiber EarthGrains bread which I love was $3.59 for ONE loaf! WalMart used to sell it for $2.00 a loaf but they no longer have it .
mh67511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 02:46 PM
Elite Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh67511
I'd like to try that out. Do you know of anything I can add to give it extra fiber? I've heard that flax seed and wheat germ are really good for you, but not sure if they would interfere with how the bread bakes. My doctor said I need to go on a high-fiber diet, but it seems like most of the breads in the supermarket have very little fiber and the ones that do have lots of fiber are so expensive. At Hyvee the high fiber EarthGrains bread which I love was $3.59 for ONE loaf! WalMart used to sell it for $2.00 a loaf but they no longer have it .
Supermarket breads are pretty much devoid of any nutrition and the flour in them is so processed that it just turns to glue in the tummy; even the "healthy" breads are questionable because they contain so many chemicals.

Breadmaking is actually an enjoyable thing to do if you have a few hours to work the process by hand; if you don't, using a bread machine is an acceptable alternative.

Flax seed and wheat germ are great additives, and they don't interfere with the process; however, anything that adds "weight" to the bread (this includes some grains like whole wheat and rye) will make the bread slower to rise and will prevent if from rising as high as a white flour loaf. It's still gonna be better for you to have a whole grain bread; it's just not gonna look as pretty as white bread.

The trick with making any bread is not to kill the yeast--it needs to be fed with sugar or honey and not heated too high when you're readying it to add to the dough. And then you need to knead the bread long enough so that the gluten in the flour works properly. It's easier than it sounds.

Flax seed is one of the best natural herbals you can use for colon health. I've got a brilliant bran muffin recipe that includes it--it's quick and easy to make, and tastes really good. I'll hunt it down and post it up here if you'd like to have it.

Visit Picture Confessions #2...it's all about secrets!
Lemurian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Addicted Fan

I buy tofu on occasion especially when I want to make a quick salad. I also buy soy chips too.

"No matter what kind of day I am having butterflies will always help me cope."
AdriaMichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   Post New Thread