Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Reply   Post New Thread

Old 03-28-2004, 06:32 AM
Loyal Fan

Contact Lenses.

I really want contact lenses for my birthday because I'm sick of walking around not being able to see things.
Yes, I do wear glasses, but I hate the way I look in them.

I don't know anything about contact lenses, so can somebody who wears them please tell me about them?

How do they stay in your eyes and are they hard to actually put in your eyes?

Thanks.

Reading Is Awesome!
Michael: Why me?
Mia: Because you saw me when I was invisible.
Stars_And_Sunsets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 07:13 AM
Passionate Fan

Contacts are extremely soft so you just don't feel them when they're in your eyes. When you first get them, it's kind of hard to get used to sticking things in your eye but after you get used to them, it's very easy.

Maybe you should go talk to an eye care professional and ask them to give you a trial pair. They usually help you put them on and tell you how to take them out.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:27 AM
Supreme Fan

I've had them since I was quite young and I really couldn't live without them. For the first couple of weeks it seems strange and I found it difficult to put them in and stuff, but after that you can't even feel they are there! There are loads of types so your optician will give you the best ones for you. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Sunshine Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 08:50 AM
Obsessed Fan

I wear cloured ones when I go party and stuff. You get used to them after a while and you won't even know they are there.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:29 AM
Obsessed Fan

I wear the 2-3 week disposable contacts. I buy them 6 in a pack, so they last a few months.

I hate wearing glasses so I wear my contacts all day every day. I may get laser correction surgery in the next year.
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:45 AM
Part-Time Fan

I wear my contacts all the time because my glasses are broken. Like Milt Palacio, I wear 2 week disposables...I have enough to last until July.

It took me an hour to put my contacts in the first time until I realized that looking at my finger was a bad idea. Look at your nose when you're putting in the contacts.
drowninmybrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:42 AM
Part-Time Fan

K, let me tell you about contact lenses. I first got them last June and it was a pain in the ass learning how to get them in. I spent 3 weeks going to my optician for classes on how to safely clean them, put them in, take them out, and store them.

I finally got them. The first time when I had them alone, it took about 15 minutes to put into each eye. However, after you have them in.....YOU CAN'T FEEL ANYTHING! It's like your wearing nothing but your vision is 20/20. I wear my lenses all day every day and at night, when my eyes start to itch, I take them out and wear my glasses.....to watch TV, do homework.

All in all, GET THEM!
Old 03-28-2004, 10:52 AM
Elite Fan

At first it's tricky putting them on unless you're used to sticking your finger in your eyes. [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] But it's definitely worth it - trust me. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Have a happy holiday & prosperous new year!
vc318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:33 AM
Dedicated Fan

Everybody has pretty much said all the basics, but if you do choose to get contact lenses, ask your optometrist if your type of lenses still lets a good amount of oxygen through to your eyes.

I've had the same type of lenses since I was in grade 7 (im in grade 11 now) and I just recently developed a temporary ... white dot/beginning of an ulcer, in my eye. It was from not getting enough oxygen cause I wore my contacts all the time. I had to wear my glasses for a month and a half and it was hell.

[ 03-28-2004: Message edited Karmatic ]
Karmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:00 PM
Obsessed Fan

Word of advice: the thinner the contacts, the more comofortable they'll be and the more oxygen your eyes will get. That's why I love the 2-3 week disposables I wear. The thicker ones bothered my eyes.

Putting them in takes a little getting used to but that shouldn't last long. You have to be able to touch your eye. No big deal, you'll get used to it. They're not too tough to put in. You have to open both your top and bottom eyelids and use another finger to put the contact in. Then you blink a few times and you should be all set.
When people get the opportunity to talk about the real issues, it becomes clear how vacuous the present agenda is. I have never met anyone in Vermont who thinks it's a good idea to give tax breaks to billionaires and cut back on health care and education. Nobody.-U.S. Representative Bernie Sanders
Milt Palacio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:55 PM
Loyal Fan

gosh. the first time (about a year ago) i got my contacts... it took me an hour to get ONE in. lolz. and i HATED them the first week, cause i COULD NOT do it! but, as time went on, they got way better. and i have had a couple of cold infections and thye have stung SO bad that i had to keep them out for a week or so... bu ti couldnt begin to think about NOT wearing my contacts. i love em. you should get em, too.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:41 AM
Master Fan

The Law when you First Get Contacts: You're guaranteed to get one in/out without problems, and then spend the next hour trying to get the other one to go in/come out. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

It gets better with pratice though. And you won't be able to feel them when they're in your eyes.

Just a note though - sometimes when they start to irritate, they can end up travelling to the back of your eyeball. A few times that happened to me and basically you have to stick your finger in your eye and try to fish it out. Not pretty, but I got used to it. Although that had never happened to my friends with contacts so it's probably just me. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

fics | vids | stupid little life
Silversun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:06 AM
Master Fan

The first week I got contacts I was a counselor at a children's music camp. I would wear my glasses to morning devotions and breakfast. After that, the kids would go on to their activities and I'd spend the next hour trying to get my contacts in. I couldn't stand to put my finger even near my eye.

Now however, I touch my eye with ease. I can touch the white part of my eye without a problem. My blinking has decreased immensley, which may or may not be a good thing [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] My contacts have been giving me problems of late, so I've been wearing my glasses for the last six-nine months and hating it. I'm thinking of going to Lenscrafters and having me set up with some new disposable ones (I've never had those before).

I've never had to pay for my contacts before (God bless the parents!), so how much do these things run? With the eye exam and all? I doubt I'll qualify for their little loan/payment plan thing.
girl in a cardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Master Fan

There's nothing magical about how they stay in your eyes, they just do [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] You just have to learn how to keep your eyes still and OPEN while you try to put one in. There's all types of contacts out there, you really just have to get your eyes examined and see which ones are best for you. Some people like the weekly wear/monthly wear/daily wear. I have the daily wear just because I don't like to fall asleep with them on, I just take them out every night. The only way they would hurt or irritate your eyes is if they had a speck of dirt or tear in them. You'll feel it immediately though cuz your eyes will start to cry [img]smilies/lol.gif[/img] I've had them since I was 14!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:21 PM
Loyal Fan

i always seem 2 poke ma self in de eyes wen i put them in and take them out [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]