Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Old 06-16-2004, 02:17 PM
Elite Fan

Even more than Jamie?

Nikki
Old 06-16-2004, 02:37 PM
Passionate Fan

I like Hilary Faye more than Jamie, even though Hilary is the "villain".
Old 06-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Addicted Fan

Hilary will definitely be my favorite. Even more than Jamie. It's pretty hilarious that the two best characters that Mandy has done are similar yet polar opposites.

Quote:
Originally posted by konstantine
I read somewhere that the actors weren't paid for doing this movie. I think it was at the IMDB message board and somebody was able to ask Brian Dannelly, the director, a question during the Q&A segment.
I heard that too on the LJ community for Saved!. She or he was at one of the interviews and clarified that this was true.

icon by poordeadturtle
Old 06-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Total Fan

Movies on rather touchy subjects never fail to amuse me and that is maintained by this film. Though I was hoping for more provokativeness within "Saved!", it proved to be filled with other events to prove entertaining. Just the hair color...ugh.

To reiterate what has already been said multiple times, this definitely was my favorite Mandy films. I expressed awhile ago after seeing "How to Deal" that it was rather frustrating to see Mandy only taking (or being offered- I can't be sure) very, hmm, "on the surface" roles. None of the films she had were meant for a demographic beyond the teens. From what I saw in the theaters, this has definitely changed for "Saved!", as I expected it to. Maybe this'll change in wide-release (which has already kicked off, I believe).

I do have to ask though, to any Christians in the house: Were you offended in any way? This may not apply to the average age group at Fan Forum, but it's still interesting to get feedback regarding this.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Passionate Fan

I'm a Christian and I wasn't offended. Maybe I'm not the right person to be asking that question because I'm not exactly the strongest in my beliefs compared to some people. But I did see this movie a second time with my parents and my father is quite religious and he was not offended. He actually loved it and thought it was hilarious.

The movie is an attack on intolerance, not Christians.
Old 06-16-2004, 06:18 PM
Elite Fan

Rawr. I still want to see it and haven't yet.

Everyone's been mentioning reviews though ... anyone care to post a couple of them here, or at least link to where we can all read them?

Cause I know I would love to.
When she finally said "yes, it's really goodbye this time."
Old 06-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Elite Fan

I'm glad you liked it Eidolon14, I'll post my review after I see it Friday night.

Nikki
Old 06-17-2004, 02:27 AM
Total Fan

I realize that it's not an attack on religion, but there are a few over on a different message that is very adamant on the fact that "Saved!" is against Christians. The message is clearly telling people not to use religion as a weapon against others, but maybe not clearly enough for everyone to notice.

Anyone getting a bit ticked that Mandy's somehow found a way to sing in yet another one of her movies? Hee.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:04 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
I'm going to see it Friday!
that's great!

I'm not Christian and I haven't seen it, so probably what i'll say will mean anything at all, but I think that It really depends on the way you get ready to see the movie. If you get ofended easily and twist things all the time it might be offensive but if you're tolerant and think that maybe this is just a different point of view from yours you might enjoy it.

I haven't seen it, it's just a thought. Anyway, I like what konstantine says. It's about tolerance, I'm glad someone has written a movie regarding this kind of topic.

Man, I really want to see this movie so bad. And it's not only for Mandy or the topic, I think the cast as a whole it's going to be awesome.
"There are few out there who do still believe in you. A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds, those are the people I want in your hearts. [...]This game is not over. This battle is not over. Clear eyes, full hearts? CAN'T LOSE!"
Old 06-17-2004, 03:10 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm Catholic, and I saw the movie and thought it was hilarious. I saw it with my mom and 2 brothers. My mom thought it wasn't appropriate for my little brother, and her other comment to me was "Thank God your boyfriend didn't go to that movie with you."
My boyfriend is more "modern" Christian, and I think those are the types to get more offended by it. Those of us who don't wave our arms while praying, don't try to "save" everyone and don't perform exorcisms won't be offended by it. Those that do . . . Maybe you should think twice about seeing it.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:41 PM
Loyal Fan

I'm not a Mandy Moore fan - I don't listen to her music and I've never seen any of her movies - but I went to see Saved! last weekend anyways. I didn't know what to expect, wasn't sure whether Mandy could act or whether the movie would be wimpy and attempt not to cause any controversy, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Mandy Moore can act; she can actually act really well. I thought she was great as Hilary Faye, and I'm glad that she chose to play a character that is more twisted than the heroic star. I think part of the reason that I was expecting the movie to be more mainstream teen movie drivel was because of the preconceptions that I had about Mandy going into the movie. So it was just awesome to be genuinely surprised and thrilled with both a great performance and a great, worthwhile movie.

I don't think that Saved! should be considered offensive or anti-Christian. I just think that it has the guts to actually give an opinion on an issue that is not completely "safe" and not yet cliched. And I definitely do not think that making a movie that relates an opinion on an issue should be discouraged.

My favourite part: Macaulay Caulkin's "dance" for food. My friend and I couldn't stop laughing to save our lives.

Least favourite part: Mandy Moore's song sequence. In my opinion, singers with a burgeoning acting career (or vice versa) should try not to depend on their first skill to further their new careers. Seeing the singing sequence made it harder for me to accept her personally as an actress, and it also tore me out of movie mode; Hilary Faye suddenly morphed back into Mandy Moore.

All things considered, I definitely recommend watching it, at least so that you can form your own opinion.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:33 AM
Addicted Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Eidolon14
Anyone getting a bit ticked that Mandy's somehow found a way to sing in yet another one of her movies? Hee.
It's a little sad and kind of hurt her stance as a serious actress, but I can't really say no to it. I first started liking her because of her voice. She should keep singing, but preferable out of her movies.

icon by poordeadturtle
Old 06-19-2004, 09:06 PM
Elite Fan

Finally got around to seeing it.

On a whole, I was very impressed with the movie. I found myself identifying more with the supporting actors and actresses more than Mary or Hillary Faye in the end, but I think that's partly why this movie is worthwhile in the end; it has a great ensamble of a cast.

The only discrepensies I have with the movie is the fact that Hillary Faye isn't nearly as evil as I had been expecting. She still did great with the role, and I reckon that if everyone were heartless in the end, the movie wouldn't have had the same effect.

As far as the song sequence, I didn't see it too much as a stretch for the character. I found it greatly annoying, as I figure that was somewhat the purpose, but I don't think it stretched outside the character.

But gosh, darn, it's so weird seeing Mandy as a blonde.

Did you guys know that Hillary Faye was originally cast as Anne Hathaway? Due to conflicting schedules with Ella Enchanted though, Mandy became the replacement. I definitely cannot see Anne in this role.

Quote:
Originally posted by Littlest Hobo

My favourite part: Macaulay Caulkin's "dance" for food. My friend and I couldn't stop laughing to save our lives.

Hah! That was my favorite part too. And he actually did sort of dance too.
When she finally said "yes, it's really goodbye this time."
Old 06-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Passionate Fan

Quote:
Originally posted by Kawaii_Jay
She should keep singing, but preferable out of her movies.
Funny you mention that, because the films in which she's sang are the ones that people want to go see, lol. (The Princess Diaries, A Walk to Remember, and Saved! -- all successful films in their own way. Hilarious coincidence, no?)
Old 06-20-2004, 05:18 PM
Extreme Fan

I am so excited to see this movie but there is no place by where I live that is playing it. I hate having to wait until DVD. I guess I just have to live off of what you guys say for now.