Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2020, 11:52 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No idea, Kia. No information of when anything will be open again has been given so far.

I hope my kids are coping. My daughter finds motivation hard, and my son puts in the least amount of effort!

Afternoon tea sounds nice. I sang along to 'we'll meet again' last night.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:04 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Claire, ah okay sorry. A lot of the boys in my class are like that too. You know, for the moment I don't worry. It's a strange situation and they are just kids - many of whom don't have a smart and willing parent like you at home to help them.
In the big picture it won't hurt anyone if they don't get as much work done at home as they would in school.
It sounds like you are doing an amazing job. They will be just fine

By the way, what you call VE Day, we call liberation day which is lovely in my opinion because that is what it really was... (I hope nobody feels offended by me saying that...) I have been thinking a lot about why it is not an official holiday here. I think it is because the Soviet Union used it excessively in the GDR and at the same time raised a completely new restrictive regime.
That makes it somehow bittersweet for a big part of the population.

And it is a shame that necessary institutions that help people with their health don't get some kind of extra permit!

avi by neel luvs tony

Last edited by kiamay; 05-09-2020 at 03:02 AM
Old 05-09-2020, 06:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Well I understand that West Germany didn't celebrate it at all until the mid-80s, but really it makes sense for you to celebrate it as it was liberation for you. Of course for East Germany it was a whole different thing, which does really complicate things for sure! VE day isn't normally an official holiday here. They moved the normal public holiday for May Day to VE Day this year because it was the 75 year anniversary. We were supposed to be having street parties and things, so it's ended up being a bit more subdued than it should have been. We've had to do a socially distanced celebration instead.

That is reassuring. I'd really like my daughter to go back to school before the summer, but I'm really not sure if that is going to happen.

Oh yes, so many things are shut, it's a problem if you want any kind of service industry. My daughter can't see the orthodontist, we can't have our dentist check up, I'm even having problems with making a vet's appointment.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:44 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah I've been reassuring parents the same that any little work they can do at home is positive as a lot of kids probably won't be, as the parents aren't too bothered. But the last thing we'd want is parents burnt out by home schooling and managing the family, which is very hard.

Its a problem affecting everyone so all we can do is manage the best we can

"Growing old will suck, but as long as I have you, I will feel invincible."
Old 05-09-2020, 09:58 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Claire, I didn't know there was nothing before the 80s but it makes sense. I was born in the 80s and in school you could really sense that the teachers had this air of guilt and "never again" about them (we still have that a lot but it was strongest with the generation born after the war). I don't remember ever really celebrating liberation day but I have vivid memories of vigils on November 9th. In 1938 that was when a lot of synagogues and Jewish shops were burnt down all over Germany so it is an important memorial day. We used to meet up at the place where the town's synagogue once stood. At my secondary school I walked past the names of Jewish girls that used to be students there as well and were deported when they were about the age I was back then.
I am pretty sure even today many people feel we don't deserve to celebrate liberation because of the "original sin", the guilt, we carry around with us. We, as a people, are very torn about this.
Personally, I would like to celebrate liberation day as a kind of celebration of peace and of saying thank you to all the courageous men and women who went to war to stand up against Hitler.
I think more and more people feel like sending messages of peace and hope on that day might be a good idea.
But it is a difficult topic. I remember talking about it before here. Sorry if I keep repeating myself.

It's a shame there couldn't be any parades and festivities in Britain and also in Russia and France (and probably also in the US though I didn't hear anything about it). It would have been nice to honour the last veterans again.

Theresa, yes, exactly! The most important thing for parents and kids is to somehow get through this time. If it were up to me I'd say play boardgames, work in the garden together, go on bike tours, just read a book.

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 05-09-2020, 12:30 PM
Fan Forum Hero

That's all very interesting to me, Kia. I like hearing about the different perspectives of different countries. I get the guilt aspect, but on the other hand people couldn't really do much against the regime without suffering the same fate. There were Germans who tried to overthrow Hitler, and yours isn't the only country which has committed war crimes, especially against jews. I think the most amazing thing is that Germany has said never again, despite far right elements still being around.

But as you say it is a difficult topic.

Well I'm not doing an awful lot with my kids, but then they are teenagers.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:48 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah a bit harder when they are teenagers But I guess we should all be making the most of the time off

Bit of Marvel tonight, Watching Captain America The Winter Soldier on Disney+

Old 05-10-2020, 12:05 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Sounds like there are plans to open primary schools in a few weeks, but my daughter is not guaranteed to get back to school I worry as she has important exams next year. Still if things go well she may get back.

We've been watching those on our DVD collection.

I got to see my parents in law today. We had a socially distanced meet up on the driveway. First time they've seen my kids since the beginning of the lockdown.
Old 05-10-2020, 04:19 PM
Fan Forum Hero

More kids of essential workers are arriving to schools this week so everything is moving to the gym now so I think I’ll have my work space free of people tomorrow which would be great if I’m correct!

Theresa, I am enjoying YOU, but I haven’t finished season 2 yet!

It’s quite hot here, almost 30c today!

Gonna go see mom later!

My weekend has been pretty relaxing, it’s good to just take some time to listen to good music, meditations, and time.
Old 05-11-2020, 01:43 AM
Fan Forum Hero

Oh, I loved "You". So many twists and turns

We had a few weeks of summer too here, Leanne Good for the mood, horrible for the forests.

And Leanne, yay for getting your workspace back

Claire, here the ones that have exams this or the following year are the first ones back. A lot of countries start with kindergardens and primary schools. I am not sure which approach is the better one. Time will tell, I guess. But either way, all the teachers know how difficult the situation is on the children. I am sure they will take that into account.

And you are right, from a certain point on you were in severe danger when you spoke up, but there certainly was a time before that when the people could have done something. "How could you have let this happen?" is a question that is intertwined with the whole subject. Recently someone said that our grandchildren will ask us the same question in fifty years because we were the last ones who could have stopped climate change. That is haunting and somehow gives me a new perspective on that question.

Nice that you got to see your parents in law today
I may actually see my mom from a distance today

Theresa, sounds like a nice movie night

avi by neel luvs tony
Old 05-11-2020, 10:12 AM
Fan Forum Hero

It worries me so much, Kia. She's been finding the work so hard, especially when it was a group project that she was doing ages ago. I think she needs to talk to her teachers more though, to tell them how much she is struggling with the work.

I understand that, but of course the regime at the time was playing on existing prejudices not exclusive to Germany. Plus I doubt anyone would have predicted how bad it would get. Schindler's List is a great film. He managed to make a difference working within the Nazi system. An amazing hero.

That will be nice for you.

That's great, Leanne. You sound much more relaxed again.
Old 05-11-2020, 02:31 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah, Claire, I'm feeling more improved and happy compared to two weeks ago. Weird how things just change like that.

I think I'll get my 7 lost hours back, but I'm going to have to bump someone off their hours cause I have seniority.

This has been nice, finally all of my workplaces are empty and now I can move freely around the room and put things back which was hard to do with people all around the room
Old 05-11-2020, 04:18 PM
Fan Forum Hero

On the topic of You, I made Jon watch season 2 with me over Christmas. So not his show, but he enjoyed ranting about it as I was perfectly engrossed.

After a anxious few days, I am finally at peace with things. Which is a relief because I would wake up sweating, heart pounding and stomach cramps, it was really making me sick! I even saw Jon today, at a distance, but it helped a great deal.

Old 05-11-2020, 11:04 PM
Fan Forum Star

Hey everyone

How are you guys ?
Old 05-12-2020, 10:32 AM
Fan Forum Hero

What was the announcement? Glad its ok for you Theresa, I hate that kind of anxiety!

Yeah, YOU is interesting and a lot of times I'm like "what the heck you think you can get away with this??" One of my favourite parts is when he's "jogging" to follow the girl, but he's not good at it nor enjoying it

Man, its so quiet at work today!! Glad I got my headphones so I can listen to music to pass time.