Fan Forum
Remember Me?
Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2015, 11:04 AM
Master Fan

I haven't caught up to Tooms but will be doing that later today.

So far in S1, Scully and Mulder have many scenes together, but yes, I vaguely remember them being separated later down the seasons…
Old 07-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Elite Fan

Hmm...yes...what would have happened indeed.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Master Fan

I wonder if that may have changed how we felt about the M/S relationship… if they would have been a couple since s1. I can't imagine not loving their relationship, but I wonder if I would have been as intensely invested in the M/S relationship if they had been a romantic couple for all those seasons… But then again CC, DD, and GA could have made it work, I'm sure.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:35 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miros (View Post)
^ Really? As far as s1 is concerned, M/S stand very close to each other and whisper into each other's faces. I wonder if that was how they were directed or whether that was just the way David and Gillian performed. I also wonder at what point did the writers decide that the M/S relationship could eventually lead into something romantic.
CC was very strict on making them platonic early on, so in the earlier seasons anyway it's doubtful that they were specifically directed to get that close, it was most likely all David and Gillian
Old 07-24-2015, 01:55 PM
Fan Forum Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrellingTralk (View Post)
CC was very strict on making them platonic early on, so in the earlier seasons anyway it's doubtful that they were specifically directed to get that close, it was most likely all David and Gillian
that might be the case. they just have this amazing chemistry
Old 07-24-2015, 02:16 PM
Master Fan

Was CC saying no romance to the first seasons only but was going to leave the possibility for it open for later seasons?
After watching most of S1 with a nice amount of M/S teasing, I find it a bit difficult to accept that these two characters were only meant to be in a platonic relationship. But maybe it's like what some of you have already mentioned… it could have been David and Gillian's chemistry.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Fan Forum Star

i think tbh there was always a kind of intention.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Master Fan

I think they were meant to be soul mates, from the beginning.... That is much deeper than romance, depending on who you talk to. Plus, it leaves the door open for romance, later on. I remember epis in the early seasons where they were both portrayed as loners, kind of exelled from their environments (Mulder the 'joke' of FBI, and Scully having left medicine, and giving up on dating, right after she met Mulder...). What they found in each other was simply greater than romance, and greater than life itself. That's why they wouldn't have jeopardized that with a quick, spontaneous jump into romance/relationship. The writers followed that line which is true to the characters, imo.
X-files, epi #5-04, 'Detour'.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:10 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Quote:
Was CC saying no romance to the first seasons only but was going to leave the possibility for it open for later seasons?
After watching most of S1 with a nice amount of M/S teasing, I find it a bit difficult to accept that these two characters were only meant to be in a platonic relationship. But maybe it's like what some of you have already mentioned… it could have been David and Gillian's chemistry.
I think they meant for the M/S partnership to be a very close and intense one, soulmate definitely, but in those early seasons they always said they were very firmly against making it romantic. In the beginning it was never talked about as being a future possibility, CC was always emphasising that they were meant to be seen as platonic

Gillian did talk in an interview around the tine of IWTB about how David was hitting on her early on, and he looked confused and was saying 'did i' and was trying to remember, while she was cracking up (wish I had the gifs for that!), so it could have just been actor chemistry and flirtation translating strongly on screen?
Old 07-24-2015, 04:37 PM
Elite Fan

That doesn't surprise me, both that David did flirt and that he doesn't remember.
Old 07-25-2015, 04:32 AM
Master Fan

There is a storm outside so I have a lot of time for my rewatch. I finished Season 1 yesterday and started Season 2 today.
They were very flirty in Season 1, Mulder probably more than Scully. He took every chance to touch here or guide her with his hand on the small of her back. I'm already and it's still the beginning of the show

And the beginnig of Season 2 is even sweeter. How they long for each other and for them back working together. And than that cute hair shuffle from Scully in Little Green Men

I know it meant to be platonic but you can see that there is a connection and that they care for each other a lot.

~Susanne ~

Last edited by smoguntia; 07-25-2015 at 01:37 PM
Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Elite Fan

Sounds adorable! I really need to find the time to get on this rewatch!
Old 07-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Fan Forum Star

I hope you do. it is amazing
Old 07-25-2015, 06:31 PM
Master Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little_Stewie (View Post)
I think they were meant to be soul mates, from the beginning.... That is much deeper than romance, depending on who you talk to. Plus, it leaves the door open for romance, later on. I remember epis in the early seasons where they were both portrayed as loners, kind of exelled from their environments (Mulder the 'joke' of FBI, and Scully having left medicine, and giving up on dating, right after she met Mulder...). What they found in each other was simply greater than romance, and greater than life itself. That's why they wouldn't have jeopardized that with a quick, spontaneous jump into romance/relationship. The writers followed that line which is true to the characters, imo.
Totally agree. This is why to this day I still subconsciously compare other TV pairs to M/S. "Scully never would have done that to Mulder…" and vice versa. I need to stop doing that. Their relationship was one of a kind.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:56 AM
Master Fan

Quote:
Totally agree. This is why to this day I still subconsciously compare other TV pairs to M/S. "Scully never would have done that to Mulder…" and vice versa. I need to stop doing that. Their relationship was one of a kind.
When one of my ships isn't moving forward and it takes season after season until they are making some progress, I always think, hey you survived the UST of Mulder and Scully, it can't get any more worse than that

~Susanne ~