Register

Request a Forum   |     View New Forums

Tags Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2018, 12:20 PM
Fan Forum Hero

I loved that little moment
Old 07-02-2018, 01:44 PM
Part-Time Fan

He just said the word heart once too many.....

The Unnatural

Summary
Alien plays baseball in the 50s, sorry 40s, befriends the non spooky Crusader and dies with red blood meaning he became human?....

Emma's father (think about it)
I like these Arthur Dales episodes now i watch them back. At the time i just wanted mythology and more mythology but now these are decent additions to the full mythology itself and very relevant. How brave for Americans / Canadians to self analyse and critique so very harshly when it comes to racism. The brits do it as well but this episode is very critical and carries a very embarrassed tone of how their culture was only 50 years earlier. Making the Brian Thompson character a KKK was a strong but necessary plot twist.

No debunker so on to the overall

Overall
Did you know the usual Arthut had a stroke so they had to draft another actor in and slightly rewrite the story? It was worth sticking with. My son enjoyed it and was genuinely into it by the end. Shows it wasn't a silly storyline but one of friendship and tragedy. It is truly gutting that he dies in the end and you can see the genuine bond they had. Much better than i remembered. Funny scenes in the changing room. Clever and harsh at the same time. Questionable language but 1998. Surprised it wasnt cut on 5spike but then again its after midnight by the time its on.

Surprisingly 9/10

Of course old red was in the baseball bit at the end. Excellent ending. Duchovny being indulged but he was god to the XFiles at the time so why wouldn't you?

Three of a Kind

Summary
Lone Gunmen go to Vegas and see Susanna again, they railroad Scully into helping them and eventually win the day. Scully gets propositioned by Maurice Fletcher....again.

Spooky Crusader
Only his voice manufactured by LG

World's Worst Debunker
Scully is suspicious of Mulder waking her up at 3am to go to Vegas. Scully does an autopsy and gets drugged. Then acts her heart out brilliantly, plenty of ad lib from our Gillian and ott drunk. Superb lol moment when she gets the lighters and then later is on the bed goofing around. Brilliant.

LG
Give them some credit. They all get a decent run at doing what they do best each in this ep. The card game is superb and they should win. They should also die later and don't. Not looking forward to Jump the Shark s9.

Overall
Better than the s5 prequel. M Fletcher cameo is superbly subtle. This show knows itself inside out and is perfectly entitled to make this self indulgent story. Top marks.

9/10

Last edited by reason to believe; 07-03-2018 at 08:50 PM Reason: Double posting
Old 07-03-2018, 08:56 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Mod note: I merged your two posts for double posting. Please allow for 48 Hours or more before posting again if there are no replies. This is due to the post count rules on

I liked this two episodes. It was quite fun to see Scully drugged where she was completely goofy! very strange feeling to have no Mulder in it. But Gillian would steal the show in this episode anyway

I like the opening and ending of the Unnatural more then the story inbetween because of all the playfulness and flirting between M&S, thanks to David Duchovny, shipper of his own character

That was sad about Darrin McGavin’s stroke that they had to rewrite the character to be his son or brother () cause they had the same name and role basically to replace! And I heard the actor who replaced McGavin had a really hard time remembering his lines! Poor Duchovny since he directs this episode too!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Is that end of the Arthur Dales thing? I'm not a massive authority on s7 8 9 as just rediscovering now.

Field Trip
I use the Friends episode name motif. 'The One with....'
The One where they end up in the ground with yellow stuff on them'

Spooky Crusader
One of the best quotes to sum up the relationship development of these two, not facetious and actually quite serious and annoyed and hurt when he says 'who's right almost 99% of the time? Can't you just give me the benefit of the doubt. ....' or something like that. He thinks its aliens who have been dormant for decades or centuries. He's feeling alone in his instincts on the case. He feels he's finally cracked it and found the truth and a live alien to prove it. He shoots Skinner to prove his point. He reaches out for her hand.

Worlds Worst Debunker
Very good Scully episode. Love the funeral wake scene with Frohike and Skinner and everywhere she looks she knows its wrong but can't work out why. She knows she hurt Mulder's feelings which is why when everyone tells her her report said its probably acid that killed Mulder she fights it because she knows deep down he is/was right. She takes his hand in the ambulance.

Overall
Watching it in the binge-fest i have since s11 finished on c5, I've seen this done before. There's at least 2 swarmy episodes like this with foresty stuff and when they go off in the ambulance its like 'how much more can these two humans actually take FFS. When you see how they were quarantined in s1 as well as getting hypothermia in 'Ice'. It actually makes you think that M&S are not people, they're the human race or the FBI in human form because you just have to take each ep in isolation sometimes. They cant all have happened in the same week month year to the same people.

Then you think 'ahh its a tv show who cares' and you just get on with watching the next one. I like this one. Show it to a non fan to F with their brains a bit. Good imagery with the skeletons etc. The twists are good ESPECIALLY the one in Skinner's office. The next level. Good fun

9/10

Last edited by X Fool; 07-04-2018 at 02:36 PM Reason: Spelling
Old 07-05-2018, 09:14 AM
Fan Forum Hero

I'm no expert on the later seasons ether. My main memories are seasons 1-5.

I Field Trip. It's interesting cause we see how Mulder and Scully, for all their stubbornness for seeing things in their point of view, realize they need each other's views too. Mulder ended up freaking out when Scully finally said all the things he wished she would say to his theories and Scully also couldn't believe it when the Lone Gunmen went along with her own logic it was kind of funny to see Scully's jaw drop when they agreed with her

Also, I remember me feeling through it cause I knew things were wonky but couldn't figure it all out what was going on.

I liked seeing Scully's reaction to seeing an alien though. that never happened in the real life of it all. Good acting on GA's part in that scene.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:33 PM
Part-Time Fan

Disorientating is the word. You're right
Old 07-06-2018, 09:55 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Poor DD and GA had to suffer for their art in that one, they had to be covered in slime and then buried in dirt to get pulled out of it. messy job in that one.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:10 PM
Part-Time Fan

I think their salaries may have compensated, it was probably DDs idea !!

Biogenesis
The One where Mulder is sectioned and Scully finds the UFO on the beach

Spooky Crusader
Mulder is targeted heavily by CSM in this episode. It's almost as if we're not quite sure who's doing it to him but we know deep down, for it then to be confirmed. Mulders powers are at their sharpest from the off but even he can't break through the noise in his head. He takes to his bed and leans on Dirty Diana over Scully but that's only her side of it and we all know he wouldn't have done that to his red debunker, his Touchstone? (Really?)

World's Reddest Debunker
Scully is sceptical of the validity of the powers involved in the stone pieces. She doesn't take long to be convinced. She can see the effect its having on her friend. Is hurt again by his reliance on Diana. Really sticks it to Skinner and Diana in the hospital. Little does she know that Walt is a button press away from death. She shows all the loyalty in the world to go to Africa and set up camp to find the solution to save her friend. Nothing is going to stop her.

Overall
Poor end to S6. M & S are well portrayed and very well acted by both. Tons of emotion. Its just a little dull, compared to the finales of previous seasons. The end is shocking with Mulder's apparent demise difficult to take and see a solution. Dialogue better than action i think sums it up. It left us hanging but lacked the spark. But i suppose they were reinventing the mythology weren't they.

7/10
Old 07-08-2018, 05:23 PM
Fan Forum Hero

Yeah this is where I start losing it with the whole mythology portion of the show
Old 07-08-2018, 10:57 PM
Part-Time Fan

Top 5 episodes of s6. Please contribute with yours.

1. Drive. Good enough to watch twice in one day
2 One Son. Purely for its drama and series landmark
3. Tithonus. Clever and dark with a good twist.
4. Arcadia. Cracking dialogue and perfect pace
5. Monday. Only just gets in as some good competition

Special mention
Agua Mala
Terms of Endearment
Trevor

Worst episode
Alpha
Old 07-11-2018, 08:37 PM
Fan Forum Hero

No particular order cause there are likely more I like than 5.

1. Drive
2. Field Trip
3. Arcadia
4. Tithonus
5. How the Ghosts Stole Christmas

Alpha has to be the worst one

There were more I liked though.

The ending of Triangle
Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 PM
Part-Time Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by reason to believe (View Post)
No particular order cause there are likely more I like than 5.

1. Drive
2. Field Trip
3. Arcadia
4. Tithonus
5. How the Ghosts Stole Christmas

Alpha has to be the worst one

There were more I liked though.

The ending of Triangle
Agree that once i put 5 in i thought of 5 more. Underrated season. Still at the top of their game
Old 12-14-2018, 12:16 PM
Fan Forum Hero

THE X-FILES: Twenty Years Later, 'How the Ghosts Stole Christmas' Is Still a Gift - Give Me My Remote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:02 PM
Fan Forum Star

Moderator of ...
DC Extended Universe

That was a really nice episode.
Old 12-14-2018, 02:47 PM
Fan Forum Hero

We should think about rewatching that one soon now that Xmas is coming up